Dodge Challenger Forum banner

I want to buy a 1970 Challenger

8K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  70TA-09RT 
#1 ·
I don't know anything about buying an old car.
What do I need to know?

It think 35k is the most I can spend.

#4 ·
Best thing to do is to do a LOT of research. See if there is an old Mopar car club in your area.. if so join it and talk with the people in the club. Also, go to car shows and ask, ask, ask... owners of the car you want at car shows are very friendly and will tell you anything you want to know... what parts are hard to find... what to expect, what to watch out for... they may even know someone that has a car you want to buy.

#5 ·
It is just like buying any other car. Do your homework and find out what people are selling their cars for and not what they are asking. If you don't know much about cars, then take it to a mechanic and get his opinion. There are independent shops in every town that you can take the car to. How does it drive? Any rattles or vibrations? If you are buying a 70 Challenger as a daily driver, you are paying a premium. But hey, it's your money.

#9 ·
You may want to check out For E Bodies Only Mopar Forum theres a lot of information on there and a good spot to get answersfor your questions. Also check out 1970 Dodge Prices, 1970 Dodge Value & 1970 Dodge Specs | NADAguides | NADA Classic 1970 Dodge Car Values It'll give you an idea of what the cars are worth with the different combo's that where available.... If you decide not to use the car as a daily driver you can get specialty insurance from these guys at great rates Hagerty Insurance - Fueling the collector car hobby through insuring and supporting the classics I sell for them on the east coast of Canada! :) Your more then welcome to PM me if you have any questions as well!

#12 ·
WOAH!! thanks to all of you!!!
I'm definitely gonna check out these sites.

this is the care I'm looking at, this guy is trying to sell it for 37K

1970 DODGE CHALLENGER For Sale :: AutaBuy.com

That's kind of high
Factoring in that this car has had restoration and options, A/C, PS, PB automatic, that's a good price. Based on the fender tag, this was a real R/T, 383 and in the FY1 (yellow) color/ black interior color. Pretty good price.

A 41 year car would need work and rust is a problem on these cars, especially if they were parked outside a lot.

Another problem is a car that sat unused for a long time - the fuel tank, fuel lines and brake lines frequently develop rust and require replacement.

A full restoration runs $30 -40k alone nowadays, plus the cost of acquiring a car, and that's providing there aren't a lot of panels that requiring replacement due to rust (floor pans, trunk floor, rear quarters, lower cowl)

#17 ·
I think your going to run into a problem with that unless your thinking about doing a home equity loan which wouldn't be the wisest move. Most of the time it's a cash and carry deal when your playing with used muscle cars. If you belong to a credit union you might have a chance but lenders are very tight these days they don't want the car they prefer to have something more tangible.

Not trying to rain on your parade but using a classic for a DD is a awesome idea provided your in a good location without snow these old E-bodies weren't to good in the snow...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.