Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What to buy, RT barebones model or sxt fully loaded ?

38K views 184 replies 54 participants last post by  Lashlarue 
#1 ·
So I'm in the market for a challenger, I would love a rt but can't decide yet. I like the idea of having all the gadgets and shiny stuff, but the rt is more hp and better suspension. I'm 21 in so cal by long beach, can afford 500-700 monthly payments but would like to pay car off in 3 years and tops being 6. I've done my research about almost everything about the challengers, and still can't decide. But I'm sure all of you will say rt :)

#158 · (Edited)
#162 ·
Hehe, So there it goes, your quoted "$600-$700/mo payment " affordability...... doesn`t always work-does it ? :)

#165 ·
I like both. :icon_biggrin:
I was thinking that, but my r/t msrp $37k, with employee pricing $35k That's about $10k over budget for him.

#166 ·
It's not so much the money part or payment thing that gets to me. I just don't know if i should be spending 500-700 a month at this time, currently having to support my mom. She had to move and had to quit job. Long story short, the ac in the house was leaking and caused mold. She pretty much dies coughing when she was there, so now im supporting her. Hopefully she get back on her feet and I can have my space back ;( Yeah and the landlord wouldn't fix anything, and court already threw out her case against him.

#169 ·
If I were you I'd wait until I got used to paying the extra bills that you're going to start having with your mom there.
When that settles down I'd start putting the amount I'd be paying for a car into a savings account and see how my
budget handles it. If you can do all that and still not break into a cold sweat when you sit down to pay the bills then
I'd say you'll do OK. Other than that,in my opinion, a car or any car can wait. It ain't no fun when paying the bills puts
a strain on you. Believe me, I know.

#172 ·
I hate to jump on the buzzkill wagon, but I agree. It's nice to be on top of all of your bills and savings and have extra money in checking / savings as a cushion. Or maybe just wait until the next spike in gas prices and see if you can get a good price on a used, loaded R/T.

#167 ·
I'm sorry that happened to your mom. I hope she gets well soon.
I hope you see how quickly life can change. If I were you, I would save 6 months worth of salary and make sure to pay all debts off ( if any ) before buying the rt or sxt plus. Don't let anything, not even an awesome car like the chally, make you lose your wisdom ( which you obviously have). Stay wise...think with your brain not your performance loving heart ;-);)

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#176 ·
Dude I've been researching the used market and buying a "new" any thing is a bad move if money is an issue and an emergency forces you to sell the car.
These cars do not hold their value
I got mine used and added a bunch of cool mods and I would be lucky to get 2000 less than I paid 6 months ago
If you have to have a challenger I know how you feel, I had to have one too
But don't put yourself in a hole you can't get out of
There are some cheap cars out there and no one is getting more money cause it has this and that
Good luck

#179 ·
So I'm in the market for a challenger, I would love a rt but can't decide yet. I like the idea of having all the gadgets and shiny stuff, but the rt is more hp and better suspension. I'm 21 in so cal by long beach, can afford 500-700 monthly payments but would like to pay car off in 3 years and tops being 6. I've done my research about almost everything about the challengers, and still can't decide. But I'm sure all of you will say rt :)
I get that...but the spirit of this thread is pick one or the other.
But there is a third option which he clearly wants and says he can afford. Just the opinion of one who chose that option and is very happy with it. I believe the spirit of the thread is that the OP was looking for opinions and experiences. That's mine. That's all.

#180 ·
Looking at the 2013 Dodge Challenger "Build your own" website from the R/T, R/T Plus to R/T Classic you can get the 3.92 gears with 20 inch wheels, HID lights, functional hood scoops but no parking assistance with those options. It's like do you want parking assistance or functional hood scoops? But I don't see on any model here where you can get all of those options together.:icon_confused:

#183 ·
A thread arises from the dead...

#185 ·
My 2010 RT a-5 is a plain jane , I latest tires are nitto 555;s 275 wide on all 4 corners Paid 28k have added 3k in mods and wheels, and tires and suspension. Have beaten a 2011 coyote Mustang, several 6.4 Srt 6 speeds, several 2011 Camaro SS's . I'm very happy with mine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.