Dodge Challenger Forum banner

6.2L Supercharged "HellCat" Hemi For 014MY

138K views 541 replies 123 participants last post by  Hellcat15 
#1 · (Edited)
The long rumored 6.2L Supercharged Hemi, nicknamed "HellCat" will debut in the Summer of 2014 for the 2015MY. It will be based on the 6.1 Hemi - with a possible Aluminum Block - and displacing approximately 375 CID (6.2L). Horsepower output will be around 600 HP plus/minus with cylinder head technology developed for/and used on the current 392 Hemi due to its excellent flow numbers will be applied.

Boost (psi) to deliver the approximate 600 HP - plus/minus - stock would be in the 9 to 15 psi range to deliver the horsepower/torque numbers. Currently Chevy/Cadilliac uses 9psi to develop 580 HP in their 6.2L SC V8s and the Ford 5.8 SC V8 uses 15 psi to deliver 662 HP in their 2013-14 GT500. Expect 9 or 10 psi for stock boost giving the aftermarket plenty of room to mod up to 15 psi. A modded "HellCat" should out-horsepower the 5.8 SC GT500 due to the fact that you cannot change both pulleys - like on the 5.4 (2007-12) models. Even Shelby SuperSnakes (2013MY) with the Stage 1 setup (5.8) doesn't touch the Ford factory setup. The entire SC is replaced to deliver 850 HP (Stage 2).

Internals will be highly upgraded, as well as the remainder of the drivetrain to handle the horsepower/torque requirements. Direct Injection and other measures will be applied to deliver MPG, with possible Rear End Gear Ratios being lowered as well for 6speed cars from 3.92 to 3.64 range.

For transmissions - a 6speed Manual and either a 5 or 8 speed (still possible) for automatic cars. Nothing yet is totally confirmed on the remainder of the drivetrain upgrade. However, look for the SRT 6.2 SC "HellCat" package to be in the same ballpark as the ZL1 and GT500.

Below is a photo that has recently been circulating around automotive circles to date.

Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Motor vehicle

Additional Info ....
The Hellcat SC 6.2 Hemi Package will include Beefier Rear tire/wheel package ... 20x10.5-inch w/205 or 305 wide rubber depending on the Anti-Spin diff Final Drive Ratio. The tires will be similar to the GT500 with Goodyear F1 Ultra Supercar G2 compound and tread pattern. The package will also include the 2012MY intro 2- and 3-mode Suspension, plus 2013MY Launch Control

There should be approximately a 150 lb. weight reduction on a SRT with the new "LA" floorpan (6speed Manual/8speed Auto) and Aluminum Maserati/Alfa fashioned sportier suspension replacing the Mercedes suspension.

Also, a new Steering Column which means a NEW Styled Steering Wheel.

See less See more
#2 ·
I will pull the trigger on this one! I need to get on whatever list there is going to be and get the one right after Jay Lenos'.........or the one before him if I can swing it!

#4 · (Edited)
I really hope they can make the supercharger engine bay look better than that... looks plain IMO... Need some sort of logos on the SC or something. Also, hope its more than 600HP... Closer to 650 would be nice. Sure, we could mod to 750HP easy, but what about the warrantee...probably out the window. Not out on getting it... just hard to justify when you can throw a supercharger in the current 392 for 10K and get more HP. If its in the same price range as the GT500, then we are talking about 65-70K? Trade in for 32K...need another 38K... WOW...like buying another car LOL.. Still, I'll probably bite LOL

#7 ·
I really hope they can make the supercharger engine bay look better than that... looks plain IMO... Need some sort of logos on the SC or something. Also, hope its more than 600HP... Closer to 650 would be nice. Sure, we could mod to 750HP easy, but what about the warrantee...probably out the window. Not out on getting it... just hard to justify when you can throw a supercharger in the current 392 for 10K and get more HP. If its in the same price range as the GT500, then we are talking about 65-70K? Trade in for 32K...need another 38K... WOW...like buying another car LOL.. Still, I'll probably bite LOL
Indeed, that picture looks like a standard Magnuson supercharger. I'm betting the pic is fake.

Also, the ZL1 and GT500 both MSRP at $55k. Since we're talking about Chrysler, though, this car will be slower, will cost more, will have little to no aftermarket support and will be warrantied by the most worthless dealership network in the country. You go right ahead and buy one, though. :bang:

#8 ·
So basically this going to cost probably around 60-65K. No thanks, when I can super charge my 2010 for less than 9K at a dealer with warranty and get 560 hp at the crank. I would not buy one new. Maybe in a few years when I can justify having a toy, and I have the space, I'll pick up a lightly used one, but I'd never spend that kind of money on a car at this point in my life no matter how awesome it is.

#11 · (Edited)
So basically this going to cost probably around 60-65K.
Try closer to 70K
The reason I am thinking about it is because all engine components will be built for being under pressure, along with drivetrain componets, for HP. I got an estimate from Arrington for supercharging and forging my 392 engine which wouldn't be as robust as the walls of the 6.2...and it would cost me nearly 19K + shipping. For another 8K I could have a supercharged 426 with 740RWHP LOL which I am still thinking of doing. IMO there is such thing as too much street HP, so would go with a low boosted 426. I want a reliable 600 at the wheels.. a little less would be fine. This new 6.2 will probably give about 520RWHP...and with a pully swap 600 pretty reliably. With that much HP and good tires...you can beat nearly anything on the street and still have a great ride.

#10 ·
A modded "HellCat" should out-horsepower the 5.8 SC GT500 due to the fact that you cannot change both pulleys - like on the 5.4 (2007-12) models.

Uhhhhh, who said you cant change upper and lower pulleys on the 2013 GT500???? Whoever it was is........well.........WRONG!!! :) Quite a few guys running upper and lower pulleys on the new GT500's. And as far as modded 6.2L to "out-horsepower" a modded 5.8, we will see. It will be quite a feat to do that due to the fact that the 5.8 is a 4 valve head and alot more aftermarket support with the Ford stuff.

Dont get me wrong, I hope they do hit this one out of the park but we will see.

#14 ·
Lots of folks saying mod this or mod that, throw on a supercharger and beat it...........but what about the drivetrain? If Dodge offers 600Hp out of the box, they will have to support that power with drivetrain components .................and.......a warranty. You don't get that with an aftermarket SC. I'm not knocking the Aftermarket SC, just stating that you better be ready to spend a bunch more $$$ on the "car" all the way to the wheels to eliminate the inevitable breakage on the now-a-days (built for 400HP) cars.

#16 · (Edited)
SRT8Tech, yep, did you do any drivetrain mods? I'd like to see your times with some wider street tires.

by the way, the operative aircraft name for a car doesn't do much for me. Mustang, hellcat, warhawk, corsair. If this is true, this car would be more relative to the P-47 chow hound.

#24 ·
Since I've been on this forum all I here is how underpowered the challenger is and how it should be in the glass with the ZL1 and GT500 and this guy says 600hp is excessive.

That's funny right there. I don't care who you are.

Or do you mean that it doesn't seem achievable? If so sorry.

#18 · (Edited)
People on car sites amaze me ... first they complain Dodge isn't competitive enough and then when information is leaked about what's coming, they down it and say I can duplicate it for less.

If anyone had taken the time to read any recent Ford magazines when the 5.0 Coyote; the RoadRunner Boss 302 and finally the 5.8 SC GT500 engine and drivetrain packaging information was released to the public those enthusiasts were estatic. It sounds to me, that some current owners aren't really TRUE Mopar people or else they would be excited that their wishes were about to become reality.

True, a 6.2 SC "HellCat" Hemi Package won't be for everyone. Just like neither are a Z06, ZL1, ZR1 or GT500 isn't for all Chevy and Ford enthusiasts. They are Halo cars, just as the 440 Six Pack, Max Wedge and 426 Hemi was back in the day.

There were many more 340s, 383s and 440s waging the battle then the legends. So, enjoy the moment when it comes rather then putting it down.

#20 · (Edited)
People on car sites amaze me ... first they complain Dodge isn't competitive enough and then when information is leaked about what's coming, they down it and say I can duplicate it for less.

If anyone had taken the time to read any recent Ford magazines when the 5.0 Coyote; the RoadRunner Boss 302 and finally the 5.8 SC GT500 engine and drivetrain packaging information was released to the public those enthusiasts were estatic. It sounds to me, that some current owners aren't really TRUE Mopar people or else they would be excited that their wishes were about to become reality.

True, a 6.2 SC "HellCat" Hemi Package won't be for everyone. Just like neither are a Z06, ZL1, ZR1 or GT500 isn't for all Chevy and Ford enthusiasts. They are Halo cars, just as the 440 Six Pack, Max Wedge and 426 Hemi was back in the day.

There were many more 340s, 383s and 440s waging the battle then the legends. So, enjoy the moment when it comes rather then putting it down.
This is exciting news! I cannot wait to see this Mopar. I am sure it will be an amazing package. Would be great if they had a demo of it at SpringFest in March!

#25 · (Edited)
Close this thread now as being useless. LOL I am glad that Dodge is going to try to compete finally with the big boys, but like the ZL1 and GT500, it will be too much $$$ new for most people, me included. In a few years, I'd buy one lightly used for a fraction of the price. I am not being negative about it, just realistic. Even a 392 at 45-50K is stretch for most. These cars are overpriced for what you get performance wise. Many of us have said that since the beginning, but who cares... It is the best looking muscle car around!

#23 ·
I hope it does get done. If they would make it in a rag top so much better

#26 ·
12-15-2012, 04:09 AM #14 (permalink)
ResumeSpeed
TSB/Recall Forum Moderator

Car: 2008 Fast, really really fast. Jeep!!
Member Number: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk300limited
Here's the latest and greatest on the "Hell Cat" that is apparentley being tested @ the Chrylser proving grounds...
Hmm, wonder why they didn't mention their source for the (little bit of) new info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabob
It will be interesting to see if this is available in all platforms or a new one (ala Barracuda). Sure will be nice to see Mother Chrysler join the battle
Challenger, 300C and Charger (for starters).

The Following User Says Thank You to ResumeSpeed For This Useful Post:
Northern Rider (12-15-2012)

#50 ·
12-15-2012, 04:09 AM #14 (permalink)
ResumeSpeed
TSB/Recall Forum Moderator

Car: 2008 Fast, really really fast. Jeep!!
Member Number: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk300limited
Here's the latest and greatest on the "Hell Cat" that is apparentley being tested @ the Chrylser proving grounds...
Hmm, wonder why they didn't mention their source for the (little bit of) new info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabob
It will be interesting to see if this is available in all platforms or a new one (ala Barracuda). Sure will be nice to see Mother Chrysler join the battle
Challenger, 300C and Charger (for starters).

The Following User Says Thank You to ResumeSpeed For This Useful Post:
Northern Rider (12-15-2012)
Huh? :icon_confused:

#28 · (Edited)
After going through the 6.1 cam/heads upgrade, I didn't want to deal with the hassle of figuring out more modifications and outright bought the 392.

Depending on the drivetrain upgrades, suspension, and wheels to the Hellcat, I think I'll wait until Spring 2014 to give them a chance to work out the particulars of the new engine just like when the 392 came out in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#29 ·
After going through the 6.1 cam/heads upgrade, I didn't want to deal with the hassle of figuring out more modifications and outright bought the 392.

Depending on the drivetrain upgrades, suspension, and wheels to the Hellcat, I think I'll wait until Spring 2014 to give them a chance to work out the particulars of the new engine just like when the 392 came out in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Hey Ray,

what paticulars are you talking about? I haven't had 1 issue with the 2011, other than the darn ripples in the body, which I had them pulled...and haven't come back yet. Pound it every time I go out and works great. This is why I'm having a hard time wanting to pull the trigger on this new one.

Basically like giving my current car away and buying a new SRT...as far as price goes. Just hard to do...even though I need no loan... Just hard throwing money out the window.

#32 ·
AUTO SLEUTH

Hot off the press!

A super Challenger on the way: The Sleuth is plugged into the Chrysler grapevine and what he hears is the rumble of a very special Dodge Challenger SRT392 model set to arrive in the spring. What’s so special, you might ask? Well, the existing 470-horsepower 6.4-liter“Hemi”V8 will be available in a supercharged format that could boost output past 600 horsepower.That would allow it to compete against the Mustangbased 662-horsepower Shelby GT500 as well as the 580-horsepower Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.

For the 2015 model year, the Challenger will undergo major reconstruction and a name change to Barracuda, which is a more iconic name than Challenger. No word on content, but the Barracuda could wind up using a modified Alfa Romeo chassis that’s lighter than the current Chrysler 300/Dodge Chargerbased platform, offer an assortment of four-/sixand eight-cylinder powerplants, and feature optional all-wheel-drive. The Sleuth can’t wait.

#34 ·
Sounds like it confirms the engines availability and RS has hinted that it will be available with (some of?) the following colors. Which would give you a good idea of when it will be released.

HEMI ORANGE (May 13, 2013)
SUBLIME METALLIC CLEAR COAT (Late May 2013)
TORRED/HIGH PERFORMANCE RED (May 20, 2013)

#35 ·
Thanks Ray, I didn't know there were some problems with the 2011. Yeah, I'd like to wait on the following year too, but from what I've read/heard, these will be extremely limited... somewhere around 500 of each current SRTs, excluding jeep. If thats the case, the 6.2 may come in another body style, but it won't be in the one we currently have. This is what I've read, but could be wrong...we don't know squat really. Here in a few months we will though. Guess I'll keep the supercharger off my current ride and wait until then. Funds are ready for the dropping, but can wait too. I still love me current ride!

#38 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.