Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Jeep 392 vs Challenger 392

23K views 102 replies 40 participants last post by  Mongoose9400 
#1 ·
A dealer friend told he was selling jeep srt's like hot cakes then began to explain that those jeeps are faster than our cars...I serious doubt that with the weight I know it has 4 wheel drive. Way do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Nah, the 6.1 Jeeps are probably faster than the new 392 models just because the new ones are in fact so heavy. They would not touch a 392 Challenger.

Tell him to put his money where his mouth is ;)

People that work at dealerships, I mean you just never know. It's sad that it is rare that you bump into someone who truly does know what they are talking about, I mean they are out there but it's not the norm.

#4 ·
i saw 2 or 3 different 392 Jeeps run at LonestarMoparFest about 2 months ago.

i don't think either of them broke into the 13's.

such an embarrassment......

#5 ·
The funny thing is how proud they are of the Jeep, you go to the SRT experience and all the SRT people say things like "Wow, look at that Jeep go" and I remember thinking yeah, it's just like my car only slower LOL

It must be a high-profit margin vehicle for them.

#6 ·
In Canada especially; a relative bought a 2013 Jeep 392 and the total price after tax was $73,000!

I can also tell you from experience comparing the two that, while the Jeep is SUPER nice, it can't hold a candle to a Challenger 392. It honestly doesn't feel impressive at all...definitely quick for what it is, but doesn't blow you away like the first time you stomped on a Challenger SRT did.

At, what, 5500lbs or whatever, I don't really expect it to.

#7 · (Edited)
The 6.1L Jeep SRTs were a force to be reckoned with. On a race tune, intake, exhaust and Vredestein tires, I've seen a 6.1L Jeep SRT hit 12.3 in the 1/4mi. This is accounting for a 1.7s 60ft. If you're getting a Jeep SRT, get a used 6.1L version.

The 392 Jeeps are nice but they have definitely become porky in weight and cost.

#8 · (Edited)
The 6.1L Jeep SRTs were a force to be reckoned with. On a race tune, intake, exhaust and Vredestein tires, I've seen a 6.1L Jeep SRT hit 12.3 in the 1/4mi. This is accounting for a 1.7s 60ft. If you we're to get a Jeep SRT, get a used 6.1L version.

The 392 Jeeps are nice but they have definitely become porky in weight and cost.
Even on the driveSRT website it says the 2012+ SRT Jeep is good for "mid-13 second 1/4 miles" :badrazz:

#11 ·
The Challenger has only had a little bit of weight gain, but the WK2 platform has ballooned by 300#! So with the added power of the 392, all of the LX platform cars have enjoyed a healthy drop in ETs, while the Jeep has fallen back by a couple of tenths.

Imagine if the 392 was dropped into the WK! Low 12s would be the norm. They could've done it for the '11 model year, but it would have embarrassed the WK2 so badly it would have been humiliating.

#12 ·
This is the second post I've heard about the newer Challengers being heavier that the older ones. Is it the 392 that's heavier, the new steering wheels or what? Guess I just haven't kept up with any significant changes that would make the newer cars heavier.

Certainly, the Jeep SRT8's would be heavier than the Challengers...not sure by how much...

#17 · (Edited)
the SRT track experience guys told us all that it WAS faster atleast 5x while i was there

i rarely see any SRT jeep, so thats what im going by
stock for stock, i would say it's a "driver's race".

and when i say driver's race, i mean "if the Challenger can get out of the hole without blowing up the tires".

there's no doubt in anyone's mind that the Jeep will put a couple of cars on the Challenger through the first 150 feet, but the Challenger will run it down.

we can argue all day, but it's a topic that i don't care for too much HAHA !!!

i do know for a fact that the Challenger will out trap it at the end, which means it's reeling it in, BUT, it's too close to call either way.

here's what i will say, with each car getting an optimal launch, the Challenger will lose in the 1/8th and it will be close as hell in the 1/4....

#77 ·
Sounds like Lisa played a big role regarding your statements lol. 392 Jeep runs mid to high 13's in the quarter while the Chally run between 12.3 and 13.2. So to me thats a lot faster. People spend thousands just to get 3-4 tenths off their race results. Please keep in mind everyone 2-3 tenths of a second in a race is a pure a$$ whipping, that's like 3 maybe 4 car lengths at 100 plus mph. If it is true that the 392 jeep is faster on the autocross it is only due to the rubber and little bit due to AWD, plus this has yet to be proven. Give the Challenger some stickier rubber and I say the jeep has no chance and here is why. While the jeep has AWD the Chally will make up for it in less weight and lower stance, plus the Chally has 5 more HP versus the Jeep 465 if that really counts lol.

#19 ·
So in a 35 mph parking lot race the Jeep will win :)

The 6.1 Jeeps are very quick, I would not call them fast though. As has been stated, they can 1.79 60 foot, and that's impressive, but their trap speed through the 1/8 mile clearly shows they will get run down pretty bad by any of the other SRT8s.

#34 ·
Just don't race a modded one or you will leave very disappointed, tons of 11 second jeeps, lots of 10 second jeeps out there, and even a few 9 second jeeps as well. Mods + hemi plus awd is a potent combo.

#20 · (Edited)
You guys have to remember the wt diff in both WK1 and WK2 JEEP vs the CHALLENGER. Heres the SHIPPING wt diff in the jeeps and challengers.
6.1 WK1 JEEP 4697 LBS hp/w ratio 11.18
6.4 WK2 JEEP 5311 LBS hp/w ratio 11.30
6.4 CHALLENGER 4117 LBS hp/w ratio 8.76
Its really hard to even match the jeeps against the challengers as the wt differs so much.

#23 ·
I have to admit the fun factor of the Jeep wins out and we get way more compliments and interest in the Jeep. Where the Jeep has the edge is when traction conditions are not perfect and that is almost always the case on the street. I would hate to have to sell one or the other but probably I would opt to sell the Challenger and put a SC on the Jeep. I looked at a 392 Jeep but no way am I paying a $20K premium over the original price of the 2010.

#24 ·
For what it is... A 5k lb brick... I absolutely love the GC SRT!!! It's a SUV not a sport sedan, sport car, or track car. So in my opinion comparing them to our cars is isn't fair. I have seen a video and timeslips of a bone stock 2012 GC SRT turning 12.9x. I also drove the HELL outta the ones at the SRT experience! A 5klb brick should not accelerate, corner, and stop like it does! We took a long sweeping curve at the track at nearly 90mph... No lean, no tire squeal, jus hard cornering... I was amazed and slightly soiled my shorts. It's sits high and naturally you expect body roll and or to flip over... But it actually begs to be driven hard! The brakes are eyeball popping... And what I really like was launching... Hold the brake mash the go pedal... Release brake! AWD dig in and pins you to the seat!!! Actually I was most impressed by the GC... I expected what I got from the other cars but was pleasantly surprised by the GC.

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#25 ·
I agree with the above. I rode with the instructor at the track experience. I just knew the thing was gonna roll, it didn't. I was very impressed. This was at Daytona and much faster than an autocross. Most of us would never dream of throwing it in as hard as he did and the GC didn't protest at all. Don't race one in the mountians with a real driver.
Greg

#29 ·
A dealer friend told he was selling jeep srt's like hot cakes then began to explain that those jeeps are faster than our cars...I serious doubt that with the weight I know it has 4 wheel drive. Way do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Selling like hot cakes don't think so. These vehicles in Canada will set you back 65k plus tax's. Not to be a smart azz but at the end of the day you own a jeep not a challenger. No thanks.

#30 · (Edited)
I did not know it was 4wd. Just the fact that it is 4 wheel drive puts it at a disadvantage in a drag race. WIth motors being the same, now you have more weight, more inertia and more drag. 4wd can be an advantage in first or second gear, but that is usually where the advantage ends for drag racing. Sometimes 4wd can make a good road coarse car in tight race tracks too. WIth 4wd, you need mega torque to take advantage of it. Otherwise, it is a penalty.

FYI, there was a post on the SRT thread asking the engineers about an awd version of the Challenger. They said the prototyped it but it was slower since the motor could not overcome the extra weight compared to the standard srt.

#55 ·
If someone can't get a mid to low 13 second pass out of a stock 12 Jeep SRT...then they can't drive...just saying ha!

The Jeep is still my favorite of all the SRTs...super fun vehicle!
umm, I think we have 392 challenger owners who can't get a low 13 second run. just a lack of practice.

I know people like the jeep, but to me its still the modern day station wagon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.