Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Burning Oil Smell While Driving

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Carmen_SRT 
#1 · (Edited)
That's the gist of it. Driving along about 45 to 50 and out of no where a strong smell of burning oil. Smells like dropping oil on your headers during an oil change and it goes away in a few seconds. Just happens randomly and I seem to smell it more times after coming to a stop. I looked under the hood the best I could tonight with a flashlight and no visible signs of oil. On a side note I never smelled it before my first oil change at the dealer. Any thoughts or others with this issue?

#2 ·
Just a follow up in case this becomes an issue for anyone else. Had two dealers check it out and finally found that I had a leaking valve cover gasket. Problem solved so far.

#7 ·
My 2011 SRT8 Challenger has just under 7000 miles and I have always smelled oil usually after I stop, I thought it was other vehicles around me. But I have confirmed it is no other vehicles causing the odor. I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I have had two oil changes and still the same thing. I have used Bosch and Mobile 1 filters...made no difference.

Thanks for the information. I will let the dealership know what was causing your burned oil smell. Thanks again.

#9 ·
My 2011 SRT8 Challenger has just under 7000 miles and I have always smelled oil usually after I stop, I thought it was other vehicles around me. But I have confirmed it is no other vehicles causing the odor. I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I have had two oil changes and still the same thing. I have used Bosch and Mobile 1 filters...made no difference.

Thanks for the information. I will let the dealership know what was causing your burned oil smell. Thanks again.
Well my car went to the dealership today, they tried and could not find a leak. I went into the garage and looked with them...no leak could be found. One of the Mechanics suggested it was the cosmoline burning off. So no answers yet. Not upset with the mechanics as I was with them and could not find it. No TSB's on the issue either.

#4 ·
I saw oil that had ran down on my oil filter when I changed it last so I am guessing the passenger side. Sounds like you have the same thing though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.