Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hail damage

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Wessy 
#1 ·
So sick to my stomach. Was at work and one of those nice midwest pop up severe storms happened. Golfball sized hail for about 1 solid minute left me with 15 quarter sized dents on the roof panel and 8 nickel sized dents on the hood. Insurance came out and gave me an 1800$ estimate and check. Wondering if the headliner REALLY needs dropped to repair, I can just see it never going back in properly:frown::boohoo:

#2 · (Edited)
Back in 2011, my 2010 Hemi Orange R/T suffered over 300 small dings from hail. I know how you feel. My suggestion; do some research online and find an expert paintless dent repair guy assuming you have no paint damage. They are not all the same. I was lucky to find a guy who used to teach PDR and who is expert, careful and has enough integrity to do it right. By that I mean no drilling to access dents, and knowing about the car. I was nervous when I dropped it off. My headliner of course needed to be dropped. After a few minutes of watching him, I was not worried. This guy knew exactly where braces were, how various clips are removed, everything. He removed the headliner in about 10 minutes while carrying on a conversation with me. I first got an estimate at one of the chain PDR shops with the 18 year old kids. They wanted it for a week and were going to supplement the insurance amount. This guy did those 300 dings in five hours including detrim and assembly and no drilling for at least $500 less then the chain store. No damage to the car inside or out. Bottom line, your stomach will unwind if you do due diligence and find a good one. My car looked better then new when I got it back since he also took out the body ripples that come from the factory on the quarters and fenders.

#4 ·
You should get it fixed before you get a check....imo...

Sorry for you damage...good luck with repairs...Body shops can do great work.

#5 ·
My 2004 GTO got pelted in a hail storm last year and I felt the same way you did. The paintless dent repair system is the way to go and a way better than repainting the car.

I had the PDR done to the Goat and it came out great just get references for the guy or place you are gonna get it fixed at. The guys who have been doing it for awhile are generally masters of the art. I de-trimmed the car myself so it saved me money and I know nothing was broken and was done right.

Like hawkgfr said don't take that $1800 check until its completely fixed, i'm sure it'll be more...

#6 ·
+1 on PDR. Back when I had my 2010, it got hailed on when it was parked outside a friend's place while we were away in his car. The PDR guy that I hired fixed the dings I saw (and a number I didn't see) for less than my $1000 insurance deductible on a Saturday morning in my own garage.

#7 ·
You guys are lucky!!!...The hood on my SRT has over 200 dents on it alone...My damage is going to be around $8k...Even some of the glass is pitted...Some shops say that the entire car can be fixed via PDR...The last shop that I took it to stated that the hood will need to be replaced. I told him if that was the case then I'm going with a Hellcat hood. My insurance company has already OK'ed this mod...When it happened I was absolutely SICK!!!...I had just bought my very low mileage SRT8 only a couple of months prior to the December hail storm. The car looked so pristine that many asked if it was brand new!!!...I looked for over 4 months to find the right car only to have it's value drop into the toilet...Since the value has been affected originality-wise I'm going to go back with a custom two-toned paint scheme----Stock black pearl on the lower half with a nice metallic silver on top with the two colors separated by a red stripe at the belt line...Since I used to restore/paint cars it shouldn't be difficult for me to do the paint job...

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.