Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Rough Idle

19K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  a14umbra 
#1 ·
This may be nothing but i was noticing today that as i sit at a light or whatever with the car idling the idle quality seems a bit rough. I mean the idle is steady, right at 700 rpm's, but it feels like a slight skip vibration. I have a Hemi Ram, and my mother (yup, no kidding) has a 2010 Hemi Charger R/T, both you can hardly tell are even running while they idle. Almost feels like a vintage muscle car with a lopy cam, maybe not that exaggerated however. Just wondering if this is normal, car seems to run fine otherwise and no idiot lights are on, mine is a 6-speed if that matters. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
I feel it, too, on my auto RT. I hear people say it should be smooth, and others say they feel it on theirs, too. So I don't know what to think. Seems to be running great...not the slightest hint that something is awry.

I agree, it does have more muscle car character with the engine "rocking" the car a bit, and I'm fine with it like that! ;) I can't even sense it as the engine rpm having any irregular speed. I just feel it in the motion of the car. I wouldn't even describe (in my car) it as anything "rough" about the idle. It seems pretty dead steady to me.

I do remember a time when it was utterly smooth, too. So maybe this is all a part of the adaptive engine tuning between those who baby the car most of the time and those who tend to gun the rpm's a bit? Maybe the idle quality (or just general motion of the engine at idle) is just a natural side effect that comes out of which extreme the engine has fine-tuned itself?

#4 ·
I feel it, too, on my auto RT. I hear people say it should be smooth, and others say they feel it on theirs, too. So I don't know what to think. Seems to be running great...not the slightest hint that something is awry.

I agree, it does have more muscle car character with the engine "rocking" the car a bit, and I'm fine with it like that! ;) I can't even sense it as the engine rpm having any irregular speed. I just feel it in the motion of the car. I wouldn't even describe (in my car) it as anything "rough" about the idle. It seems pretty dead steady to me.
That'a exactly what i'm talking about. Yeah my rpm's don't change at all, just the car kinda rocks and shakes when it idles. My choice of words of "rough idle" might not have been the best description, i have a couple cam'd up vintage Mopars that have a lopy idle! Like i said tho, i've been in other "new" Hemi vehicles and have not noticed this "vibration", that's why i asked just to see if anybody else has expirienced this with their Challengers. I just got the car out of winter storage, it's the first real drive i have takin with the car since Thanks-giving, but i did start and run the car for about 20 minutes or so every couple of weeks thru the winter to keep the juices flowing.

#6 ·
We have 2 SRTs and they both idle a little rough or "lopey" at times. Seems to be dependent on the weather conditions. Nothing I care to worry about, very minor.

#8 ·
Keep in mind that the 6-speed equipped cars have stiffer engine mounts vs. the automatic models, so that will transmit more engine vibration to the body. The automatic cars (300, Charger) and trucks will have a lot more isolation from the driveline because of the softer mounts.

I notice mine will have a bit more shake during the warm-up cycle and less when a full operating temp.

Idle is pretty steady - I periodically get into the hidden EVIC screens and watch the idle may vary by 25-45rpm, which is very little fluctuation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.