Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums - View Single Post - Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger
View Single Post
#8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:23 PM
raVenX
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
... if they were breaking, we would see them!!!!
You can't see the wind, yet it exists. Curious about what you do for Christmas. I bet you close shop, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi666
Where did you hear about this issue?
One of our club members has his car in the shop right now -- broken timing chain, 36k miles on the car. Almost the exact same story as below. Just cruising down the highway at 70 mph -- pop goes the weasel.

-------

Quote:
October 2011: While driving home from work last night with the cruise control set at 74mph she started to shake rattle and roll. CEL and ETC lights came on (flashing). Went to "N" and limped to the shoulder, waited a few seconds and attempted a re-start. Ouch. sounded real bad. ... (I'm at 35200) ... . Adviser called me this morning to tell me the tech thinks the timing chain broke! ... Foreman told me the 5.7 Hemi timing chain is on back order. When I questioned him he told me that the chains are popping all over the country on the Challengers and they have run completely out.
Quote:
October 2011: WOW this is like the 3rd one i have heard about??
Quote:
October 2011: Had the same thing happen to me about 30 days ago. Had it towed to the dealer and after the tear down they determined that it was a broken timing chain.
-------

So that's just three reports right there, and there are more. In my 30+ years of driving and racing, I have personally only encountered one instance of a timing chain breaking. It's a rare occurrence, no doubt about it. So, when you see reports coming in like the above, you kind of scratch your head and ask yourself, "Is there a problem here? This shouldn't be happening so frequently."

There are to date some 52k Challenger 5.7L Hemis out there. Many are just now coming up on 35k miles. Hence, the problem, if it is a problem, is just now beginning to materialize.

Anyway, this thread was intended for those who HAVE experienced the timing chain break. A depository for information to see if there is an actual problem out there that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer.

So, once again, if you have had the timing chain break on your Challenger, please post up how many miles on the car when when it happened? and what was your experience in getting it repaired?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raVenX For This Useful Post:
bolder (03-18-2013), DFW (01-31-2014), Onemanop (10-02-2013)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome