QUESTION re.1970 Challenger SE fender mounted turn signals [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: QUESTION re.1970 Challenger SE fender mounted turn signals

750-h2
01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
I am presently restoring a 1970 Challenger R/T SE and was wondering if all SE's should have the fender mounted turn signals and chrome rocker panel trim?. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

70ta
01-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes it was part of the package

750-h2
02-11-2009, 05:48 AM
My research on this so far indicates that the fender mounted turn signals were not available on the R/T even with SE package. However all R/T SE's should have the chrome rocker panel trim. If anyone knows this to be incorrect please let me know.

Dilvoy
02-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Do you have the broadcast sheet? It will tell you if your car came with an aux lighting package. If you are fixing up a car the way you want, If you are running the single external manual mirror or painted racing mirrors, the fender mounted turn signals would be painted body color. If you have the Chrome belt line trim, you would have chrome fender mounted turn signals and probably chrome racing mirrors or the single manual exterior mirror. This is the way I have seen them on original cars, but if a car were special ordered or the factory ran out of painted turn signals, chrome ones could have been put on just to get the car out. I have had three S/E Challengers. two diden't have the fender mounted turn signals and one did have painted ones and that one diden't have the belt line chrome trim either. All originally came with the wide aluminum rocker trim.

Burnsracing
11-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Is it possible to get the measurements of the fender mounted turn signal lights with distance from fender front and distance from fender/hood gap.
Had to replace my fenders and could only get fenders without hole locations. Any help would be appreciated. If this is too far off thread, please advise.

750-h2
11-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Is it possible to get the measurements of the fender mounted turn signal lights with distance from fender front and distance from fender/hood gap.
Had to replace my fenders and could only get fenders without hole locations. Any help would be appreciated. If this is too far off thread, please advise.

I have a 1970 passenger side fender in my garage. It looks like it had the fender mounted turn signal but the hole has been welded shut . Measuring the center of the weld indicates that the hole should be approx. 14 inches from the front of the fender and 4 inches from the hood gap.

cruiserdan
11-04-2010, 09:58 PM
R/T SE did not have the top fender mount indicators. You can't see the RH side over the hood bulge.

When I restored mine in the late 1980s I used a pair of plain SE fenders and left the indicators on them. I should have filled the holes.

cruiserdan
11-04-2010, 10:01 PM
My research on this so far indicates that the fender mounted turn signals were not available on the R/T even with SE package. However all R/T SE's should have the chrome rocker panel trim. If anyone knows this to be incorrect please let me know.

Mine does not have rocker mouldings on it and when we stripped the car there were no signs of filled holes. It does not have bright mouldings on the lower front valance either.

Mike A
11-05-2010, 04:59 AM
My 70 SE/RT did not have fender mounted turn signal indicators or the rocker panels.
Mike

Burnsracing
11-05-2010, 05:55 AM
I have a 1970 passenger side fender in my garage. It looks like it had the fender mounted turn signal but the hole has been welded shut . Measuring the center of the weld indicates that the hole should be approx. 14 inches from the front of the fender and 4 inches from the hood gap.
"Thanks" for the quick response. Do not know whyI didn't measure when I had the fenders. Age creeping up I guess.

Burnsracing
11-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Thank you for the measurements. Greatly appreciated.

69 SIX PACK ROADRUNNER
11-21-2010, 06:25 AM
I have a 70, factory orignial X head, 4 speed, A66 car. It came with chrome rocker panels. Not sure what other Challengers had the chrome rockers. I have the original hand written order form, and I think the chrome rocker were standard equip., on the A66 cars. There doesn't appear to be a charge for them.

69 SIX PACK ROADRUNNER
11-21-2010, 06:33 AM
R/T SE did not have the top fender mount indicators. You can't see the RH side over the hood bulge.

When I restored mine in the late 1980s I used a pair of plain SE fenders and left the indicators on them. I should have filled the holes.

I agree. If you are trying to make the car "original" and it did not come with fender lights, because of the power hood, I would NOT put turn siginal lights on the fenders. It's not going to look right.