Paint Color Difference Plastic vs Metal [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Paint Color Difference Plastic vs Metal

24J
04-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I have Stone White color. In certain light, especially I notice at sunset, that the color of my paint on the plastic is a different shade than that on the metal. It's fairly significant on the rear bumper wrap vs the rear quarter panel. In other light, can't even tell.

I talked to my detail guy tonight and he thinks that it is not right, but he hasn't seen it in person yet.

So my question is, has anyone else noticed this on their car?

Drako
04-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Absolutley YES!
I thought it was just me, until you brought up this topic. However, you are correct. I have a Silver SRT8, and it does depend on the lighting. There are times when I notice my front/side bumper area looks darker than the rest of the car. But when you walk around the car, depending on the angle, it blends perfectly. :icon_confused: A buddy of mine convinced me that I wasn't losing my mind. He said that it is pretty much normal. :SM127: I guess it's just like you said, metal vs plastic. :icon_confused:

RANGERMAN
04-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Its alot of factors..metal versus plastic...but also alot fo the parts are painted seperate from the car also...keep in mind it might be the same paint lot..or a change out..its hard to say...but as you say its pretty much the norm!

RSJ
04-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I noticed that on the pictures of the B5 Challenger. Had me a little worried, but I just assumed it was the angle.

24J
04-04-2009, 09:12 PM
That was one of my thoughts, Rangerman. Maybe all the plastic gets painted with one batch then put on the cars with the metal painted from another paint batch. I don't know the car build process, but that would explain it.

If that's the case, then the color mismatch is part of the character of the car and I can live with it. If it was because they did some body work and sold to me as a new vehicle, then I got a problem.

Fly-With-Me
04-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I think they are all like that. My inferno red has the same colour difference. I guess we will have to live with it.

MoparPosterChild
04-04-2009, 09:39 PM
We have a Stone white Charger R/T. It had the same problem. The nose was slightly different from the rest of the car, so was the rockers and rear bumper. It's normal for that color. It just shows slightly different on the metal pieces than the plastic.

Get black, and your problem is solved!
________
Ivana_ (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Ivana_/)

nadz240
06-27-2009, 10:40 PM
PHEW!! Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have been driving myself absolutely bonkers with this issue. Everytime I look at my HO under the garage lights, I notice the side of the front bumper seems to be a slightly different shade than the metal fender. I was starting to suspect some paint work but I guess this is normal?

09ORNGRT
07-06-2009, 10:02 PM
im sorry to bring this back up, but i restore cars and do collision repair work also, but what is going on is that the plastic takes the paint differently, i have painted many fenders and bumpers the same time same day and it still is different

STONEWHITE R/T
07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I haven't noticed it on my White one. All looks good.

mrruffin
07-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Be happy you don't have a Gold Toyota Camry, I'm sure you have come across one riding around. Their paint on the plastic rear bumper fades far quicker than the rest of the car. The first time I saw it I thought it was repair work, but I know a couple of different people who own one that has never had any body work done. Looks awful from any angle!

Brucer41
07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Also there is an additive added to the paint for plastic/rubber parts to make it flexible. You cannot apply the body paint to the bumper covers or other plastic parts as the paint would crack with any amount of pressure to it. That additive used to change the overall tone of the paint back in the day, not sure today but sure sounds like it does.

09ORNGRT
07-08-2009, 07:09 PM
havent used the flex additive since ive started, my boss 30+ years expiernce also has never used it, you really gotta twist a bumper for it to crack honestly, now from the factory they may use it, but with my experince its the plastic that takes the paint differently no matter what you do, we use plastic test panels to match paint for bumpers,
as for the paint fadeding thats a factory probly not good enough UV protection in the clear and broke down over the years, sorta like early chevy trucks where the paint is peeling off excpectialy the white one
just food for thought

Drako
07-08-2009, 07:22 PM
The bumper, where the front side marker is, looks darker, right?

It drives me crazy! It's all in the angles. :icon_confused::icon_confused::icon_confused:

09ORNGRT
07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
silver you really notice it sometimes cause the way the metallic takes to the plastic and lays its drove me nuts for years. you'll notice its on all cars some worse than others, as for bein painted in different factories im not sure bout that GM when they make corvettes its all painted in one booth and put together that day....

turasque
07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I haven't noticed on my black SRT8. I've looked all around my car under different lighting conditions and notice no difference.

24J
07-09-2009, 05:42 AM
09ORNGRT - thanks for the post - I'm glad I asked - It's one less thing I need to worry about. I'm glad I didn't have to take my car back and argue for a new paint job. It would be a loss either way.

gearset01
07-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Ive been told that theres no difference in painting plastic and metal... I used to believe it was an additive for the plastic?
I also have the black and its constant all around, maybe its just the lighter colors?

09ORNGRT
07-09-2009, 08:23 AM
theres no difference in the way you APPLY is, but like ive been sayin the plastic take its differently not an additive, also i bet a painter can see the difference in car and bumper it may not be as noticable but its there, i dont notice that much on my dads Orange R/T compared to his friends silver R/T, we have had costomers come back because there bumper doesnt match, then we have to have a PPG rep come down and talk to them....i know my paint and i know what it does

4404spd
07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
silver you really notice it sometimes cause the way the metallic takes to the plastic and lays its drove me nuts for years. you'll notice its on all cars some worse than others, as for bein painted in different factories im not sure bout that GM when they make corvettes its all painted in one booth and put together that day....
Your really misleading these people. Unless your painting directly on the plastic your not going to notice a difference. Lets say you paint a fender and a bumper cover off, Both have the same undercoat color and your using the same paint at the same time their shouldn't be a difference. The factory colors are off because the parts arn't sprayed at the same time. A vat of paint will change as the day goes on in the factory letting metallic's settle and what not. Thats why we have Variance colors or alternate formulas with color chips in the autobody repair field to do these repairs. One example is PW7 Bright white has like 7 variances and 3 field formulas. Field formulas dont have chips these are colors that dont fall into the variance deck and you would have to call the PPG library.

You notice color matches being off more on metallic colors than solid colors because of metallics/pearls, the settling/vat change through the day or even a vendor supplier change. I never have problems matching paint... if you do your homework first its easy.

4404spd
07-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Ive been told that theres no difference in painting plastic and metal... I used to believe it was an additive for the plastic?
I also have the black and its constant all around, maybe its just the lighter colors?
There isn't, Painting the two are the same. Some manufactures sell their bumper covers in raw form, No primers at all. These take a special process the prep them for primer/sealer but once that process is done the rest is the same. Flex additive is a waste of money. It disapates out of the clearcoat in something like 72 hours dont quote me on the hours but its something like that. After that its gone. Oh and Iv'e been a Certified PPG refinsh Technition for the last 22years after I switched from Martin Senour/Sherwin Williams paints.

trakpakrt
07-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I've noticed that the Door handles are slightly off color from the doors. Anyone else notice this???

gearset01
07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
There isn't, Painting the two are the same. Some manufactures sell their bumper covers in raw form, No primers at all. These take a special process the prep them for primer/sealer but once that process is done the rest is the same. Flex additive is a waste of money. It disapates out of the clearcoat in something like 72 hours dont quote me on the hours but its something like that. After that its gone. Oh and Iv'e been a Certified PPG refinsh Technition for the last 22years after I switched from Martin Senour/Sherwin Williams paints.

Thats awesome... I painted trucks for a Co in Emmaus for a little while when I was younger but it wasnt for me...
I will keep your experience in mind, good to have an expert on the site.

09ORNGRT
07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
hey im not misleading people im just saying what my paint rep has told are shop, now he may not be a good rep, but i have done my homework and have paint bumpers and fenders that ive lost count, primed and sealed still happens...also like i said not sure how Dodge does but GM like i said the corvettes all the parts are painted in one place the same day, go on the tour for yourself although they dont let anyone in the paint area but you can see it....i may not be as expecinced as you but i do know my way around a paint

HUNTER40
07-10-2009, 01:21 PM
The difference is in the material plastic vs metal almost every car with painted plastic parts are a different color. Lighter colors are more noticable than dark but 99 percent of time nothing can be done about it even painting at same time. color still tend to be a little different. I know been painting for 19 yrs. Just part of life.:icon_confused:

hemiredneck
01-09-2011, 07:00 PM
same problem on my B5...I think it gets worse over time as the car sits in the heat and sun. Over time the steel and the plastic heat differently and fades the paint at different rates