Tire dressing [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Tire dressing

CruzKing
09-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Hope everyone is well.
i would like some recommendations on tire dressings.
i would like to brighten up the tires without the nasty wet look. does anyone have any recommendations.:sleep:

sniper226
09-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Been using the Black Magic stuff myself for years. Stay away from Armor All. The formula *use to* turn my tires brown and don't know if current formulas would do the same.

Cuda340
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
I use Meguiars Tire Foam. It cleans and shines tires without any mess. Great stuff.

waumo
09-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel is the one I use on all vehicles.

No greasy mess and it lasts for quite a while.

I think they have a high gloss version but I use the regular.

One coat give a low luster look, two coats = more shine.

mpsjmg
09-24-2009, 02:44 PM
303 Aerospace. UV protectant, without that fake 'shiny' look.

DartSportDude
09-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Regular old Pledge furniture polish actually works pretty well on rubber and vinyl...and it's a lot less expensive than all the specialty stuff. Give it a try.

Cuda340
09-24-2009, 03:04 PM

I tried the Meguiars gel and got some "sling" on my rear fenders (after the car sat overnight). IMHO, the foam works best.

Sparkman #3372
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM

Ditto! This stuff is awsome! I've used it for years. No sling, like was stated above you can control the amount of shine you want by the number of coats you use. One application lasts me 3 weeks to a month. Make sure you clean your tires before applying...

JMH777
09-24-2009, 05:45 PM
I've tried a number of tire dressings. My favorite is Griot's Long Lasting Tire Gel. Looks really nice, lasts awhile, and doesn't sling. A small bottle goes a long way too.

bwbike
09-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm not a fan of anything on the tires. For me, the paint is shiny and the tires are not. I have no problem seeing my tires for what they are; rubber (or whatever compound tires are made of these days).

Dennis H
09-25-2009, 04:57 AM
303 Aerospace. UV protectant, without that fake 'shiny' look.
303 here too every 6 months. I use Stoner Trim Shine in between. No sling.

green69charger
09-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Good soap, water, scrub brush, and elbow grease, followed by a good drying. That will give you a nice matte-black appearance. Keep 'em clean, even if you use the products above. Eventually you will need to clean them properly to get any build-up gunk off.

jmlracing
09-25-2009, 07:12 AM
I've tried a number of tire dressings. My favorite is Griot's Long Lasting Tire Gel. Looks really nice, lasts awhile, and doesn't sling. A small bottle goes a long way too.

I WILL SECOND THAT ON ALL GRIOTS PRODUCTS.lOVE THE NEW TIRE GEL.

MIKE:bigthumb:

STONEWHITE R/T
09-25-2009, 07:25 AM
I use MOP and GLO floor wax. It dries to a great shine, doesn't sling, and stays shiney through many washes. I did my car months ago and the tires still shine. I just recommend using some gloves as it makes a sandwich taste nasty.

craig
09-25-2009, 07:27 AM
I use Zaino. It keeps them clean and new looking without the gooie shiney look.

waumo
09-25-2009, 06:07 PM
I use MOP and GLO floor wax. It dries to a great shine, doesn't sling, and stays shiney through many washes. I did my car months ago and the tires still shine. I just recommend using some gloves as it makes a sandwich taste nasty.

Yes for many years I used Brite floor shine (like Mop and Glo) on tires and the rubber floor mats in my old Pontiacs. Eventually it was not available locally and I switched to other things.

The Brite did last for a long time on the tires.

Redrkt
09-25-2009, 07:08 PM
I use the aerospace 303. Got turned on to it in another thread. Looks natural. I spray it onto a piece of terrycloth towel and rub it on like an applicator. Does the job without spraying on the tire tread, wheels or paint.

heartlandvideo
09-25-2009, 07:32 PM
I use the aerospace 303. Got turned on to it in another thread. Looks natural. I spray it onto a piece of terrycloth towel and rub it on like an applicator. Does the job without spraying on the tire tread, wheels or paint.

I absolutely agree...Aerospace 303 is amazing stuff. Protection without the
glossy shine. Great on interior surfaces like the dash cover. No residue.

bigdawg
09-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Hope everyone is well.
i would like to brighten up the tires without the nasty wet look. does anyone have any recommendations.:sleep:
I use Mop 'N' Glo. You can by it in Walmart, K-mart and several stores. It won't sling like other tire dressings. The judges like it. I've been taking 1st places, so I'm sticking with it. It gives the tires a good sheen that last weeks upon weeks. Please don't tell no one my secret. It works to well to let everyone try it.:browsmiley:

2009ChallengerSE
10-03-2009, 03:35 AM
Mop n Glo? Who would have thought! That's why I love this forum! I have spent so much $ on diff products for my car. So far my favs are Meguiars Gold line and the Black Magic Tire spray. Not so keen on tire sprays anymore, to much sling. I will be trying the Mop n Glo, definately cheaper!
Thanks again!:browsmiley:

STONEWHITE R/T
10-03-2009, 07:06 PM
I have used MOP N GLO since 1973. Great shine that lasts through many washes. Just put on some latex gloves as it makes your sandwhich taste like crap. Cheaper than the foo foo stuff at the auto parts houses or Wal Mart. One bottle will last for many tire shines and many cars. I apply it on the tires with a shop rag as your going to throw it out afterward. When it dries any applicator is going to be shot. It has never hurt the rubber. The only thing is this. If you have white letter tires it will turn the letters dingy after a while. Then take Blech White and clean them up and reapply the MOP N GLO. Doesn't sling and looks like "natural" rubber shine. Not a wet look. Try it, you won't go back and use other stuff.

The only drawback I have found is this. If your wife scrubbs the curb it will really let you know! Just take a wet rag or sponge and wipe it down and reapply the MOP N GLO.

Badact42
11-30-2009, 05:55 PM
2 for 1.. Man I was planning on cleaning my hardwood floors anyway..Now I can do the tires and the floor with one product..Thanks for Mop N Glo..:bigthumb:

STONEWHITE R/T
12-01-2009, 09:00 AM
2 for 1.. Man I was planning on cleaning my hardwood floors anyway..Now I can do the tires and the floor with one product..Thanks for Mop N Glo..:bigthumb:

Hey, let me know what you think after you use MopNGlo on your tires. It is not a wet look but nice and clean black tires look. Just a "gentle" shine that looks very good. I just did my Challenger. With the Heritage wheels it looks great.

Cuda340
12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
If you want a product that cleans and shines in one application with no mess, try Meguiars Tire Foam. I have used many tire dressing products and it is the best, by far.

High Rise Torker
12-01-2009, 06:53 PM
^ What he said. Great look for the rubber. Applied after every wash.

skialfs
12-01-2009, 08:44 PM
with the 20" wheels...there's barely enough tire to even bother...man I miss the ole 15 and 16" torque thrust "D" days and raised white letter sidewalls. Now they worth cleaning and dressing, these things, not worth my time.

skialfs
12-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I'll try the Mop n Glo trick next time I wash the pickup though,(14" rims, plenty of rubber)...love to try new things...thanks!

rjs09
12-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Black Magic makes one that is a matte finnish. It makes the tires look brand new with no shine. It gives a nice even finish with no sling.

bigdawg
12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Hope everyone is well.

I use MOP "N" GLO. I show cars and trucks.I have trophies out the gazoo. It don't "sling" either like the rest of the sprays and liquids and the shine lasts a long time. People are shocked when I show them what I use.You can buy it in Wal*Mart, K Mart or any store that sells floor wax It is just as good if not better than the other crap you buy for tireshine. Try it. You won't go buy any of the other stuff unless you like to scrub little speckles off your ride. :browsmiley:

STONEWHITE R/T
12-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Just think BIGDAWG, we could buy cases of MopNGlo, repackage it and sell it for tons more a bottle and make millions. We could call it STONEDAWGS Tire Glaze. HA! We'd be rich.

bigdawg
12-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Just think BIGDAWG, we could buy cases of MopNGlo, repackage it and sell it for tons more a bottle and make millions. We could call it STONEDAWGS Tire Glaze. HA! We'd be rich.
I don't think we couild get by with that. LOL.Folks out there might think I'm josh'n but this Mop "N" Glo stuff works. It don't sling and lasts a long time.That is what I like about it.The judges like it and are in shock when I tell them what I use and several other show car owners. :browsmiley:

judgeman6970
12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't think we couild get by with that. LOL.Folks out there might think I'm josh'n but this Mop "N" Glo stuff works. It don't sling and lasts a long time.That is what I like about it.The judges like it and are in shock when I tell them what I use and several other show car owners. :browsmiley:
another reason I love this forum.....learn something new every day!!:thumbsup:

penguin
05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Just a bump for this thread. I've put Meguiars long lasting, Black something in the bottle with the built in applicator and someother spray on foam. All of the sling (even after sitting overnight). Looks great...until I get crap on my freshly washed car (like it was last night...). Going to try the StoneDawg's M&G Utlimate tire shine trick...lol

PowerGuy
05-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Good info, Mop & Glo it is> :rocker:

JonW
05-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I use Griot's Vinyl and Rubber Dressing on interior trim, weatherstripping, and tires. It leaves a nice natural looking finish that is not too shiny, has no petrochemicals to turn brown (or worse), gives UV protection, and I have one product for 3 uses so it saves space in my cabinet.

06ssmc
05-07-2010, 09:08 AM
tried the mcguires gel for the 1st time. worst product for tire sling, and now my tires creak ! seriously.

IDMTfirefighter
05-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I like mequires, not the foam, but the spray with the adjustable nozzle.
Only thing I don't care for is the odor it leaves.
Totaly fills the garage

mmosso
05-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I bought some turtle wax "black & Wet". Big mistake!! The sling was so bad I hit other cars on the highway. I love the Mop & Glo suggestion. I will try ASAP! Don't worry your secret is safe with me....

snakepitt1
05-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Give Aerospace 303 a try. It is the only product I use on and rubber or plastic on the car. Google it and I believe that Amazon sells it for less. Great stuff with very good UV protection, will never brown your tires. Not shiney, just a natural sheen to tires.

Walaby
05-23-2010, 03:49 PM
I've been using JaxWax for about a year now, and it works great on the tires.. not too shiny, doesn't sling, lasts a good while (wonder if it's really mop&glo!) Use it on the interior plastics, wheel wells, front lip spoiler, rocker panels, plastic radiator covers etc.. the works. Anything plastic or rubber it works great.

Mike

izzypizzy
05-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I use Zaino. It keeps them clean and new looking without the gooie shiney look.

+1, Zaino tire treatment is very nice. I never liked the tire dressings that make your tires ultra shiny. Zaino gives it a nice clean shean with no sling. The stuff is actually a whiteish-blue lotion type substance. I like it a lot.

mmosso
05-24-2010, 08:50 AM
I used Mop & Glo for the first time! I'm a believer. Great shine and NO sling...an cheap too!!

STONEWHITE R/T
05-24-2010, 11:57 AM
I used Mop & Glo for the first time! I'm a believer. Great shine and NO sling...an cheap too!!

YEAH!!!!!!!!! Another convert to the Bright Side!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

When I rotate my tires I do the insides too. Makes the tires look nice and new all around.

devilwoman
05-24-2010, 08:46 PM
I will be trying the Mop n Glo, definately cheaper!

I second that!

72CUDA
05-29-2010, 11:04 AM
I use Meguiars Tire Foam. It cleans and shines tires without any mess. Great stuff.

Thanks for the info Cuda340....I tired the foam today and did great with minimal drying time....no sling at all. I had used the Mequiars hot shine liquid spray before and it had lots of sling.

ChallengerPhil
06-04-2010, 09:10 AM
I have been more than happy with No Touch. I used to use Armor All products, but if you use No touch just like it says, with just a tad of a wipe down after say, 30mins-1hr..... it's perfect.

ed3300
06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Mop & Glo is the way to go! Tried it some time ago after reading Stonewhite's suggestion. Inexpensive, zero fling, long lasting and it gives the tires a nice clean & natural look.

Was entered in a car show a couple of weeks ago(received a top twenty award & only Challenger there-btw) and a vendor at the show with a detailing service actual stopped to ask what was on the tires. He thought I was bs'ing about the Mop & Glo. He was going to get some on the way home.