Engine Knock/Tick [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Engine Knock/Tick

cabbage
08-05-2008, 06:43 PM
I am not a gear-head so I apologize if this is an elementary topic. I have noticed lately (today) that I have a knock/tick in my engine bay from 1500 rpm and lower....at idle there is no noise and any higher than 1500 rpm I can not hear any noise.... but that could be because the engine is louder at the higher rpm than the tick/knock is. I have not noticed the sound before, but that does not mean that it wasn't there all the time. I have appx 800 miles on the car. I recently switched the oil to Royal Purple 0-40W. Should I be concerned about this noise? I will most likey bring it to the dealer to have them look but I would also appreciate the forum's advice/expertise. Given the recent tropical storm I have not been able to run it tonight to see if the sound goes away after it is heated up. Thoughts please.....

Jack09
08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Did the noise start before or after the oil change? I would have kept using the Mobil 1 personally, Royal Purple is a good synth, however, they recommend you not using their product until the engine has at least 3000 miles on it. May be something to that, maybe not. Members?

Jack

cabbage
08-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Did the noise start before or after the oil change? I would have kept using the Mobil 1 personally, Royal Purple is a good synth, however, they recommend you not using their product until the engine has at least 3000 miles on it. May be something to that, maybe not. Members?

Jack

I am not sure if it was there before the oil change or not. Can changing from one sythetic to another cause problems/noises with the engine? If so I'll swap it out to the Mobil 1 tomorrow. I hope it's that simple. My other vehicles are a Dodge diesel and an Escalade so I can't compare their engine noise to the Challenger.....is a small ticking sound normal? It doesn't happen at idle so I hope this is a normal sound of the engine.

The Fluffer
08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Id hit the shop up and have them look at it asap just to cover yourself.

Cuda340
08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
The guys with Charger SRTs have experienced a similar problem. They say that a ticking sound is common in the Hemis and can be attributed to any one of the following conditions:

1. Fuel injectors.
2. Oil squiters on the piston skirts. Last year there was a service bulletin to use 15W-
50 oil in weather above 50F instead of 0w-40. TSB 09-011-06.
3. High valve spring pressure, hardened valve seats and stainless steel valves.

The Fluffer
08-05-2008, 10:03 PM
funny now you mention it I have the same noise coming out of my magnum at times as well.

425hpChargerSRT8
08-06-2008, 12:16 AM
yea this is known as the "Hemi Tick". Its no problem at all

Hemi 007
08-06-2008, 01:31 AM
:bigthumb:My Ram has it. The Hemi Tick. Just add 2 parts Foot and 1 part throttle and it goes away.

Go Goody
08-06-2008, 03:17 AM
I also think it has someting to do with the PCV system. I had the catch can and I swear the Hemi tick went away. Billet Technology: Catch Can (http://www.billettechnology.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BT&Product_Code=Catch-Can)

Daddy Kool
08-06-2008, 04:45 AM
The Hemi's a time bomb,baby! No worries, very common.

3H4ME
08-06-2008, 06:09 AM
I also think it has someting to do with the PCV system. I had the catch can and I swear the Hemi tick went away. Billet Technology: Catch Can (http://www.billettechnology.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BT&Product_Code=Catch-Can)

Go Goody,
I'm not familiar with this. I opened the link you posted, and I see it helps with filtration, but can you give me a brief decription of what it does please? I don't need anything elaborate, but a general idea would be very helpful.
Thanks

Daddy Kool
08-06-2008, 07:49 AM
If I may, the catch can traps the oil that is being returned through the intake manifold due to the emissions system. Most users report a few tablespoons every 1000 miles or so. This oil at times can effect the percieved octane level of gas by the engine management system and result in poor performance. Also it will help keep your motor cleaner inside. I don't have one in my 300c but am seriously considering one for the new car. Billet Technologies in Florida make a lovely unit for about a $100 + extras.

3H4ME
08-06-2008, 09:17 AM
If I may, the catch can traps the oil that is being returned through the intake manifold due to the emissions system. Most users report a few tablespoons every 1000 miles or so. This oil at times can effect the percieved octane level of gas by the engine management system and result in poor performance. Also it will help keep your motor cleaner inside. I don't have one in my 300c but am seriously considering one for the new car. Billet Technologies in Florida make a lovely unit for about a $100 + extras.

Thank you Daddy Kool !! Great explanation, and makes sense. I'll have to get one !!:)

The Fluffer
08-07-2008, 10:07 PM
What a cool idea add that to the list as well...It seems like it would work and looks easy to install,few fittings and your done..Worth the bucks Id think.
Thanks for this info .:bigthumb:

425hpChargerSRT8
08-08-2008, 07:02 PM
yea the catch cans became very popular. Especially after alot of owners started doing cam and heads swaps, and noticed how much carbon buildup was on the pistons. Those pistons get extremely filthy, and its because of that oil getting into the intake.

SPEDS
08-10-2008, 02:22 AM
When ordering the catch can, Which do your order? With no hose, with starter hose or with PVC hose?

Thanks

3H4ME
08-10-2008, 04:04 AM
When ordering the catch can, Which do your order? With no hose, with starter hose or with PVC hose?

Thanks

I didn't know either, so I just went with the most expensive, hoping everything would be included. (PVC hose). If not it'll be at the local car parts store. Here in Canada, I think it's pretty much a guy ritual anyway that we head to "Canadian Tire" ( Kind of our national , car , hardware & outdoor stuff, store ) Saturdays. :)

Cuda340
08-10-2008, 05:04 AM

It's more than just oil- its engine combustion by-products such as gasoline, acid and water. They are re-burned by the engine. The SRT engineers have stated that oil catch cans are not necessary. I don't know if that is true or if it is just the corporate line. When heads are removed significant deposits and discoloration is noted in the cylinder.

One interested note is that the 5.7 engine deposits a lot more oil in the catch can than the 6.1. This may be the result of different baffles.

Go Goody
08-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Daddy Kool hit the spot. On the Daytona there was like 4 tablespoons of sludge every 1500 miles in the can.

3H4ME....the BT can comes with the hoses etc. Just be sure to use the short hose for the short run......I cut the long hose and had to go to NAPA:(

Cuda340
08-10-2008, 05:36 AM
For a detailed discussion (and photos)of the oil catch can issue, see our sister forum at:

Catch can results - Dodge Charger Forums (http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60907&highlight=catch)

3H4ME
08-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Daddy Kool hit the spot. On the Daytona there was like 4 tablespoons of sludge every 1500 miles in the can.

3H4ME....the BT can comes with the hoses etc. Just be sure to use the short hose for the short run......I cut the long hose and had to go to NAPA:(

Thanks Go Goody !!, Like SPEDS said, they offer / no hose/ hose/ or PVC/choices , so it leaves you uncertain. Thanks for the heads up on the hose lengths. It sounds like a smart thing to install from what I've read in this forum.:)

3H4ME
08-10-2008, 07:18 AM
For a detailed discussion (and photos)of the oil catch can issue, see our sister forum at:

Catch can results - Dodge Charger Forums (http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60907&highlight=catch)

Thanks for the link. Amazing how much oil and crud was there for very few miles. This is a NEED item. I'd rather burn the high octane gas prescribed, than that .:orangehat:

Ragamuffin
08-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the link. Amazing how much oil and crud was there for very few miles. This is a NEED item. I'd rather burn the high octane gas prescribed, than that .:orangehat:So by this statement, does this mean that the higher/recommended octane fuel decreases the amount,by a 'cleaner' combustion /// or if some are fueling with 87-89 octane [trying to save a few cents/dollars] then it's not as an efficient burn or combustion ?

3H4ME
08-10-2008, 09:09 AM
So by this statement, does this mean that the higher/recommended octane fuel decreases the amount,by a 'cleaner' combustion /// or if some are fueling with 87-89 octane [trying to save a few cents/dollars] then it's not as an efficient burn or combustion ?

No , it means I'd rather burn gas (Period) than the oil and other crud that would otherwise come back to be burned, without the installation of the "catch can". The octane level has nothing to do with it, and perhaps the fact that I put that in there confused the statement. I was merely stating that I would rather burn gas, than oil.

Ragamuffin
08-10-2008, 07:30 PM
No , it means I'd rather burn gas (Period) than the oil and other crud that would otherwise come back to be burned, without the installation of the "catch can". The octane level has nothing to do with it, and perhaps the fact that I put that in there confused the statement. I was merely stating that I would rather burn gas, than oil.Oh, ok,I think I understand . Ummm, I guess that is just a natural [or somewhat] process of an gasoline internal combustion type of engine or the technology of this type : there is always going to be some level of residue. I don't why Dodge just doesn't install this little deal ? I would not feel ashamed or think bad of Dodge Engineering;in fact it may be to their advantage if they did:As Chrysler Leads and does not follow !!:stickpoke:

3H4ME
08-11-2008, 04:23 AM
Oh, ok,I think I understand . Ummm, I guess that is just a natural [or somewhat] process of an gasoline internal combustion type of engine or the technology of this type : there is always going to be some level of residue. I don't why Dodge just doesn't install this little deal ? I would not feel ashamed or think bad of Dodge Engineering;in fact it may be to their advantage if they did:As Chrysler Leads and does not follow !!:stickpoke:

Yeah, I agree. I had not heard of it before Raga. It makes sense though, and looks like it'll help a lot to keep the engine clean. I'm all for that. :)

mopar maniac
08-11-2008, 09:52 AM
I wound up installing a catch can on my SRT4 just because the residue winds up in your intercooler if you have a turbo. A freind of mine who is Dodge parts manager took his intercooler off to check it out with 80k on the motor and we were blown away with all the oil that had collected in the bottom of the intercooler. I asked the question about a catch can when I went to the SRT track experience school and got the same answer. I have got the feeling that it has something to do with polution control and having a closed system. If the factory installed a catch can, it would wind up being a part of PM for the car and how many people would bother to perorm it? If you do install one try to find one like I put on my SRT4---has a site tube on it so you can tell if it needs to be taken off and cleaned.

Cuda340
08-11-2008, 10:22 AM
If you do install one try to find one like I put on my SRT4---has a site tube on it so you can tell if it needs to be taken off and cleaned.

Where did you buy your oil can? The billett technolgy cans do not have a site tube.

Go Goody
08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Where did you buy your oil can? The billett technolgy cans do not have a site tube.

There are some on ebay......nowhere as nice as BT's (I own a BT)

PPP-Tim
08-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Like mentioned earlier, you should see how much oil gathers in the intercooler of a car without a catch can.. WOW, I have a huge amount!!

They look cool and are functial..

Tim C

PPP-Tim
08-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Here are new catch cans. We also have caps for everything under your hood, with our Logo on it.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x281/PPP-Tech/DSC04188.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x281/PPP-Tech/DSC04190.jpg

The picture makes the bottom look alittle different then the top.. It looks the same, must be the camera and lighting.

Tim C

Go Goody
08-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Tim, That is sweet!

425hpChargerSRT8
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
The picture makes the bottom look alittle different then the top.. It looks the same, must be the camera and lighting.

Tim C

I was wondering about that. What material is that? Aluminum, stainless etc?

BearsFan82
06-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Wow this is just the thread I was searching for. I was curious about this because I think my engine is a fan of this fabled "hemi knock"

If it happens, it is usually around 1500 rpms, and there is usually just a few quick knocks from what I can hear. In park, I can rev my engine all day, and nothing. Driving around, usually during the hotter parts of the day, I will hear the knock only when I accelerate. But it goes away just as fast as it comes. And it doesn't do it all the time. It seems to be totally random.

After googling this hemi knock, seeing many people hearing this on their hemi's, dealers finding nothing at all, and this thread make me not want to worry as much. I also heard a Ram 1500 w/ the 5.7L hemi in it tonight have the knock when we both pulled away from a light.

Hopefully there is not a larger problem here. I had a 5.7L 05 Ram 1500 and I never heard the knock in it, so this is why I am a worry wart about all this.

fxsts
06-15-2009, 07:21 AM
The guys with Charger SRTs have experienced a similar problem. They say that a ticking sound is common in the Hemis and can be attributed to any one of the following conditions:

1. Fuel injectors.
2. Oil squiters on the piston skirts. Last year there was a service bulletin to use 15W-
50 oil in weather above 50F instead of 0w-40. TSB 09-011-06.
3. High valve spring pressure, hardened valve seats and stainless steel valves.

I had the same problem on my Charger SRT8 - it's the additional oil squirters in the 6.1 and the solution IS in the TSB mentioned.