Engine ticking noise during cold start [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Engine ticking noise during cold start

swedishmax
01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Does anyone else out there have this issue? Every time i start the engine when it's cold it ticks for the first few minutes. Sounds like a lifter or something. It goes away once the oil reaches about 80 degrees. This has been going on since i bought the car about a year ago. Should I be worried?

Thanks

sirava
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
how loud ticking is???mine charger do same when engine is cold....after while sound go away...on challenger so far no problem...

swedishmax
01-05-2010, 04:38 PM
how loud ticking is???mine charger do same when engine is cold....after while sound go away...on challenger so far no problem...

It's not loud. But noticeable. It's like a gremlin is sitting under the hood tapping my intake manifold with a pen at a 16th beat lol

DETOUR
01-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I had that noise a couple times when the car had not been driven for 2 to 4 weeks.

The "ticking" would last from 2-3 minutes. Since my first oil change (Valvoline Full Syn) at 1500 miles the "ticking" noise has not returned.

kevbo10
01-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I had that noise a couple times when the car had not been driven for 2 to 4 weeks.

The "ticking" would last from 2-3 minutes. Since my first oil change at 1500 miles the "ticking" noise has not returned.

Hemi's are famous for that tick. k.

wayers57
01-05-2010, 05:13 PM
funny I noticed that for the first time this morning, but it was 8 degrees.

kevbo10
01-05-2010, 05:15 PM
funny I noticed that for the first time this morning, but it was 8 degrees.

zip code 93065:

74 high / 47 low; all week

8 degrees?

that's barbaric!

kevbo

Hal H
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Does anyone else out there have this issue? Every time i start the engine when it's cold it ticks for the first few minutes. Sounds like a lifter or something. It goes away once the oil reaches about 80 degrees. This has been going on since i bought the car about a year ago.

While these Chrysler engines are known for lifter tick, mine doesn't do it. I've been using full synthetic oil since the original factory fill (5.7 engine) was changed.

I found that running a full synthetic oil keeps engines quieter or startup/warmup compared to conventional (dino) oil. Synthetic oil seems to adhere to parts after shutdown and flow better when the oil is cold...

I found this out with my other cars when I switched over to synthetics nearly 20 years ago. I haven't used conventional oil since.

theo560
01-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Hey guys i dont have the hemi but mine does that same thing is that something we should worry about? i have changed the oil on a regular basis. it really bothers me.

swedishmax
01-05-2010, 06:21 PM
While these Chrysler engines are known for lifter tick, mine doesn't do it. I've been using full synthetic oil since the original factory fill (5.7 engine) was changed.

I found that running a full synthetic oil keeps engines quieter or startup/warmup compared to conventional (dino) oil. Synthetic oil seems to adhere to parts after shutdown and flow better when the oil is cold...

I found this out with my other cars when I switched over to synthetics nearly 20 years ago. I haven't used conventional oil since.

I use the recommended Mobile 1 full synthetic. Always have... I've heard of others with this same problem so maybe it just is a characteristic of the HEMI

yladrd61
01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
That is normal for the Gen3 Hemi as long as it goes away after it warms up .

'08 SRT8, #533, Black, All Options, Yokohama Parada Spec-X All weather tires. :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocket::rice:

PS: Get a custom tune email Johan at Diablo ;)

Jay6spdRT
05-26-2010, 04:06 AM
I have heard this tick on 2 or 3 occasions with my R/T. The noise disappears within 5 to 10 seconds or less. It seems to occur only after the Challenger has been sitting for 2 or more days without being started. It does not seem temperature related - I heard it Monday night, and it was 70+ degrees inside the garage.

So this is normal?

TrapQue05
05-27-2010, 04:25 PM
mine ticks. Always has. Goes away as car warms.

trudyc
05-27-2010, 05:26 PM
i had a charger and it done it all the time dealer said it is a hemi thing all do it. never had any trouble but only had 20000 miles on it. i think that there should be something to do about it. my challenger is not doing it yet. only got 5500 miles on it but if it starts i will go to the dealer and have something done for it. dont no what? i have heard this for 5 years now and i dont beleive it the hemi tick my foot

anggraz
06-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I use the 0w-40 Mobil that the car came with. Mine has 6000mi on it. Its ticked since I got for maybe 5seconds every cold start up since new. Its lifter tick, no big deal. you'll get that with oil thats that thin. If theres knock, well then u got issues

emd
06-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Get rid of the tick, replace the hydraulic lifters with mechanical ones.

mokeman3
06-27-2010, 07:19 PM
It's not a lifter tick I don't think...

My experienced trained ear has been telling me it's a wrist pin/piston slap issue, - and that was what my gut's told me the second I heard it for the very first time. These motor's have a high set wrist pin in a 413 gram piston.

MM3

dino
06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Even when warm, does the Hemi make more valve train noise than other makes of V8's???? My 5.7L seems to have a little more valve train tick-tick than my Chevy smallblocks.

Sorry, but this is my first Hemi motor so I'm asking for some help from some Mopar gurus.

Thanks in Advance-
Dino

deezlman
07-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Get rid of the tick, replace the hydraulic lifters with mechanical ones.
By "mechanical" I assume you mean solid, manually adjustable? Have you witnessed this?
I questions it, because the old style solid lifters required a small gap to be certain the valves closed completely and had to be adjusted occasionally. A totally quiet solid lifter was a dangerous thing and would result in burned valves. Hydraulic lifters are designed to compensate just the right amount to take up the slack while ensuring the valves close completely and, as a result, were quiet. But (years ago) they couldn't keep up at high RPMs and weren't great for high performance engines. Obviously, technology has taken care of that for the hydraulics. Maybe the ones in the Hemi are designed differently to readjust at start up or something?
Anyway, mine makes the same noise everyone else describes. And to my 55 year old "trained" ears, it sure sounds like lifter noise and goes away after warming up, just like a leaky lifter would do. As long as I know it's normal, I won't worry. I had run conventional oil for the first 10k miles. I then switched to a synthetic blend and did notice that they were quieter. Next change will be full synthetic. I'll be anxious to see if it helps further.