Differance Long Tube VS Short Tube Headers [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Differance Long Tube VS Short Tube Headers

1MEAN RT
09-19-2010, 07:33 AM
I have a RT auto ,What is the advantage of adding headers and is what is the differance in performance between long tube and short tube. I have seen most people adding the long tube are now throwing codes ,is it the same with the short tube?

Hemi31
09-19-2010, 09:23 AM
The shortie headers will still use the stock midpipe/cat so you won't get codes. Even if you add an aftermarket highflow cat with the shortie you generally won't get a code. With the Long Tube the cats are of a different design and you wind up with an efficiency code. The LongTube will make more power than a true shortie,but a good and inexpensive alternate is to use a factory 6.1 header and highflow midpipe.

DBLNUT
09-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I have a set of 6.1 headers and mid pipes to put on my 5.7.Are the 6.1 cats any better flowing than the 5.7 cats??????

Hemi31
09-19-2010, 06:57 PM
I have a set of 6.1 headers and mid pipes to put on my 5.7.Are the 6.1 cats any better flowing than the 5.7 cats??????
The cat is the same but the mid pipe is larger.

DBLNUT
09-20-2010, 03:05 AM
I knew that it is 2 3/4" vs 2 1/2",should I put a better cat on to get any gain in HP?

Hemi31
09-20-2010, 03:53 AM
A high flow cat will get you about 10hp and 10 tq through the middle of the power band over the stock cat.

DBLNUT
09-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Any preferance on which cat?

DCX Depot-Tim C
09-20-2010, 02:04 PM
I have a RT auto ,What is the advantage of adding headers and is what is the differance in performance between long tube and short tube. I have seen most people adding the long tube are now throwing codes ,is it the same with the short tube?

From our results here, Longtubes by far add more power. I have seem quite a few RTs only gain about 5whp with the addition of shortys and offroad mids or highflow catted mids.

For those with strict emissions testing, you really dont have choice but to run the shortys, but if you can get away with it, long tubes will offer far more power: often gains of 15WHP on our dyno.

Using used SRT manifolds can make for cheap power gains very similar to shortys.

The downside with longtubes are their cost: often twice that of shortys (or more)! Longtubes often through check engine lights that we can remove but those with emissions testing will have a struggle to get passed.

Tim C

1MEAN RT
09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
but a good and inexpensive alternate is to use a factory 6.1 header and highflow midpipe.

For those with strict emissions testing, you really dont have choice but to run the shortys,
Using used SRT manifolds can make for cheap power gains very similar to shortys.

Tim C
Thats the problem, NY is strict and unless someone from NY can tell me how to get it passed I dont think I can go long tube.Is there any true advantage to getting a after market shorty over the Srt8 headers and if I go that route is a high flow midpipe bertter then using the stock midpipe from the srt8?

Hemi31
09-20-2010, 03:57 PM
You can get it passed in NY but it takes work. Most use spark plug antifoulers(2 per side) on the downstream 02 sensor and you might need a little steel wool packed between them to dilute the exhaust enough to fool the PCM. And on a stock or mildly modded motor the difference between long tubes and 6.1 manifolds is not that big. If it were I would be running long tubes on my 500rwhp 426.

1MEAN RT
09-20-2010, 04:20 PM
You can get it passed in NY but it takes work. Most use spark plug antifoulers(2 per side) on the downstream 02 sensor and you might need a little steel wool packed between them to dilute the exhaust enough to fool the PCM. And on a stock or mildly modded motor the difference between long tubes and 6.1 manifolds is not that big. If it were I would be running long tubes on my 500rwhp 426.
Thanks for the info, so I would guess since the engine will be close to stock that would be the way for me to go even over buying short tube headers,I guess when the time comes to do this I have to find someone with a SRT getting rid of there old setup.Is it worth it to go with a high flow aftermarket cat/ midpipe setup or just stick with the one that comes with the srt8?

Hemi31
09-20-2010, 04:32 PM
It is well worth it to get the high flows.

aarcuda
09-21-2010, 06:24 AM
What kind of steel wool do I use? The big fat choir boy crack pipe kind or the skinny wire #1 or what? I got my anti foulers and ready to install

Hemi31
09-21-2010, 07:58 AM
I stack the antifoulers without the steel wool first.....most of the time that will do it....if I need to use steel wool,00 usually works fine.

DCX Depot-Tim C
09-21-2010, 08:21 AM
I agree. I think think the antifoulers have worked for 99% of our customers with long tubes or offroad midpipes.

Tim C

aarcuda
09-22-2010, 05:52 AM
I'll give it a shot. If I end up going withe the wool, is it packed in or just an average or what. Don't want it being drawn out and screwing up the cats.

Hemi31
09-22-2010, 06:45 AM
steel wool goes on the downstream 02's....after the cats.....and you pack it about the same density as the pad sits.