K&N vs MOPAR [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: K&N vs MOPAR

seedsntrees
01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Is there any difference, other than color, between the two air filters? :notallthere:

Comparing the drop-in stock air box filters.

Thanks....

itzrick
01-09-2011, 10:46 AM
I know the stock Mopar filter isn't the same type as the K&N, The original one that comes with the car doesn't have near the flow as the K&N. Mopar might make a high flow filter.

seedsntrees
01-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Perhaps I should clarify.

MOPAR has a high performance filter that is blue in color. Not sure if there is any difference in air flow than that of the K&N red color filter.

Thanks,

corn619
01-09-2011, 12:17 PM
The only difference I could possibly see performance wise is that the Mopar intake tube is metal and my K&N is plastic. I would imagine that the plastic one would insulate from heat a little better than the metal one. Also the K&N has a heat shield around the filter. Whether it keeps the air cooler or not is debatable though.

itzrick
01-09-2011, 07:37 PM
The only difference I could possibly see performance wise is that the Mopar intake tube is metal and my K&N is plastic. I would imagine that the plastic one would insulate from heat a little better than the metal one. Also the K&N has a heat shield around the filter. Whether it keeps the air cooler or not is debatable though.
I thought we were talking drop in filters and it sounds like your talking CAIs.

corn619
01-09-2011, 08:01 PM
I thought we were talking drop in filters and it sounds like your talking CAIs. Sorry. The title and first thread were pretty vague. I wasn't aware that Mopar made a high flow drop in. I'll have to look into that.

itzrick
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Sorry. The title and first thread were pretty vague. I wasn't aware that Mopar made a high flow drop in. I'll have to look into that.
I didn't know they had a drop in that's why I said what i said to begin with but I'm pretty sure it said drop in filter in the beginning.

corn619
01-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I didn't know they had a drop in that's why I said what i said to begin with but I'm pretty sure it said drop in filter in the beginning. It did, I'm just a idiot for not reading the whole post, sorry. Anyone have the drop in K&N or Mopar? I'm just interested to see the differences between a CAI & drop in filter. It just seems that the stock intake is better designed to suck cold air away from the hot engine compartment. The only thing that seems to be holding it back is the crappy stock filter.

itzrick
01-09-2011, 08:24 PM
It did, I'm just a idiot for not reading the whole post, sorry. Anyone have the drop in K&N or Mopar? I'm just interested to see the differences between a CAI & drop in filter. It just seems that the stock intake is better designed to suck cold air away from the hot engine compartment. The only thing that seems to be holding it back is the crappy stock filter.
That's why before he added stuff I said that the K&N one has better air flow because they had one of those machines at advanced auto and my original filter in there the ball wasn't near as far up as it was with my K&N filter I use now. He added that he wanted to compare Mopar high flow and K&N and that's why I didn't say any more. I've never seen or used a high flow Mopar filter so I didn't want to miss lead someone.

70challengerrt
01-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Sorry. The title and first thread were pretty vague. I wasn't aware that Mopar made a high flow drop in. I'll have to look into that.

Challenger Accessories (http://www.mopar.com/accessories/challenger_accessories)

Fourth from the bottom on the left. The only difference to me between that and the K&N is red and blue.

seedsntrees
01-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Challenger, 6.1 High Performance Air Filter.

Any difference than a K&N?

MOPAR # P4510472

faninc
03-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I heard that mopar performance drop ins are made by a company called green filters part number 7200 for SRT8's you can find for 49.99 shipped on some parts sights. the filter is green not blue however...

J

Quicksilver84
03-09-2011, 05:56 AM
70challengerrt

Where do you find prices for the components on that website?

70challengerrt
03-09-2011, 06:27 AM
70challengerrt

Where do you find prices for the components on that website?

You'd have to ask a dealer about it since they're the ones who sell it. I remember once upon a time last year the site had all the prices on it but they took them off a while ago. Sorry I couldn't help.

Quicksilver84
03-09-2011, 06:38 AM
I will be making a stop by my dealer today then.

Thanks

Cuda340
03-09-2011, 12:35 PM
The MOPAR drop-in air filter is pre-oiled, just like the K & N. All K & N filters, except the commercial truck line, have to be oiled. Only the blue filter medium in a MOPAR CAI, made by AEM, is washable. I like the convenience of a washable filter and the peace of mind that the MAF sensor will not be contaminated.