resetting tps [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: resetting tps

high line
01-23-2011, 08:01 PM
im not sure what you call this. but i read somewhere in a thread i think called tips and tricks about reseting tps. you have just the ignition on only and wait for most of the lights to go out then push throttle slowly to wot then let all the way off. i did this and swear the car runs and shifts better. anyone else tried this?

itzrick
01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Is this what your talking about?
ETC Throttle Calibration/Characterization:

Late LX/LC Model (5.7LTR HEMI) Charger/Challenger Throttle calibration procedure. It basically does a zero/span characterization
for PCM on fly-by-wire throttle system. This procedure if followed correctly will hold until battery power is cycled again.

PCM Zero/SpanThrottle Calibration

Throttle calibration can substantially improve throttle responsiveness over "factory standard." Many people notice what appears
to be sluggish throttle response or a "dead area" at initial accelerator depression.

Throttle calibration can take care of these.

Procedure steps:

1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
(HOLD to the floor for about a three second count.)
(On some PCM versions, Engine Check light may start flashing here)
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.

Most drivers notice an immediate change in throttle response, but depending on your driving style, you may need to repeat this
procedure periodically due to the computer's adaptive programming.

NOTE: You will likely need to repeat this procedure any time the battery is disconnected.

high line
01-23-2011, 08:16 PM
thats the one rick, found it here http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/i-didnt-know-challenger-tips-tricks-20759/ everyone should try this

itzrick
01-23-2011, 08:19 PM
There's a web site that has alot of good things about challengers. anyone that hasn't read it should. it's
100 Challenger Tips and Tricks (http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/dodge/100%20Challenger%20Tips%20and%20Tricks.htm)

raVenX
01-23-2011, 09:53 PM
There's a web site that has alot of good things about challengers. anyone that hasn't read it should. it's
100 Challenger Tips and Tricks (http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/dodge/100%20Challenger%20Tips%20and%20Tricks.htm)
Yeah, the guy who created that started with the post I put on ChallengerTalk and has been plagiarizing everyone's info since then.

itzrick
01-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Yeah, the guy who created that started with the post I put on ChallengerTalk and has been plagiarizing everyone's info since then.
Well thanks for giving it to him. It's great info and It's alot easier to go to the site and click on tip # and it go there than looking thru 100 sheets of paper.

RICHSRT8
01-24-2011, 07:19 AM
I doubt that does anything.The chrysler scan tool has an ETC (electronic throttle control)relearn procedure.The scan tool puts the pcm in throttle relearn mode and syncs the throttle sensor(on gas pedal) with the ETC.I doubt it is in learn mode at every key on!

pwr2tow
01-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Don't feel bad man, we are being plagurized every time some one relays information.

pwr2tow
01-24-2011, 08:32 AM
I doubt that does anything.The chrysler scan tool has an ETC (electronic throttle control)relearn procedure.The scan tool puts the pcm in throttle relearn mode and syncs the throttle sensor(on gas pedal) with the ETC.I doubt it is in learn mode at every key on!

The scan tool, predator, and TPS key trick can all recalibrate the TPS/APPS.

RICHSRT8
01-24-2011, 09:05 AM
The scan tool, predator, and TPS key trick can all recalibrate the TPS/APPS.
I put a new pcm in a car today and the throttle would not work.Had to do the learn procedure with the scan tool, to get it to work.Stepping on the pedal slowly once or 10 times didn't work!Why would they have learn procedure at every key on,someone could accidently press halfway on the pedal.I can see the lawsuits coming!

Speedy!
01-24-2011, 09:22 AM
I put a new pcm in a car today and the throttle would not work.Had to do the learn procedure with the scan tool, to get it to work.Stepping on the pedal slowly once or 10 times didn't work!Why would they have learn procedure at every key on,someone could accidently press halfway on the pedal.I can see the law suits coming!

I agree Rich. I think this is an urban legend.

pwr2tow
01-25-2011, 09:29 AM
I put a new pcm in a car today and the throttle would not work.Had to do the learn procedure with the scan tool, to get it to work.Stepping on the pedal slowly once or 10 times didn't work!Why would they have learn procedure at every key on,someone could accidently press halfway on the pedal.I can see the lawsuits coming!

The WiFi/scan tool does more then just calibrate TPS and with a new PCM/TCM/ECM there are other parimeters that need to be entered.

The adaptive learn for the TCM is with every time you drive your car not TPS/APPS.

TPS relearn happens when you turn key on then reset BUT you have to turn key off before start. So pushing on throttle before start has no effect.

Just like pulling codes or ESP off or a host of other procedures there is certain protocal for things to work.

Urban legend or not this is why resetting the TPS or disconnecting the battery resets the adaptive learn back to factory specs and people say the new CAI or other product makes a big difference. Alot of it has to do with resetting the adaptives from disconnecting the battery and other key on off tricks.

RICHSRT8
01-25-2011, 11:53 AM
The WiFi/scan tool does more then just calibrate TPS and with a new PCM/TCM/ECM there are other parimeters that need to be entered.

The adaptive learn for the TCM is with every time you drive your car not TPS/APPS.

TPS relearn happens when you turn key on then reset BUT you have to turn key off before start. So pushing on throttle before start has no effect.

Just like pulling codes or ESP off or a host of other procedures there is certain protocal for things to work.

Urban legend or not this is why resetting the TPS or disconnecting the battery resets the adaptive learn back to factory specs and people say the new CAI or other product makes a big difference. Alot of it has to do with resetting the adaptives from disconnecting the battery and other key on off tricks.
I like how you call them tricks!People are tricked into thinking these things work!:scratchhead:The latest diag tool from Chrysler is called WiTech.There is no need to do an ETC relearn, unless you replaced the PCM,throttle or pedal sensor.The PCM never loses throttle sensor settings at batt disconnect.Even some codes and addaptives don't get erased at batt disconnect.You need a scan tool to reset.I have 24 years of Chrysler experience and training.Do you have engineering documents to back up your claims???

Speedy!
01-25-2011, 12:08 PM
I like how you call them tricks!People are tricked into thinking these things work!:scratchhead:The latest diag tool from Chrysler is called WiTech.There is no need to do an ETC relearn, unless you replaced the PCM,throttle or pedal sensor.The PCM never loses throttle sensor settings at batt disconnect.Even some codes and addaptives don't get erased at batt disconnect.You need a scan tool to reset.I have 24 years of Chrysler experience and training.Do you have engineering documents to back up your claims???

Hey Rich, you work at a Chrysler dealer don't ya? I don't think some folks on the forum realize that :)

pwr2tow
01-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Also if you drive aggressive resetting the adaptives will do little as it has learned how you drive.

When you drive conservative XXX miles the ECM/PCM/TCM learns your driving habits and you can barely spin your tires. After a reset you can burn them and even do second gear chrips with the auto.

RICHSRT8
01-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Hey Rich, you work at a Chrysler dealer don't ya? I don't think some folks on the forum realize that :)
Yes Sir, I'm all for short cuts and saving money,but some stuff is just internet BS!

pwr2tow
01-25-2011, 02:06 PM
You can also pull fuse #2 for 30 seconds or so and reinstall to reset the adaptive learn.

Call it BS all you want but hundreds if not thousands of members on this forum and others have experienced the adaptive relearn.

If I do a battery disconnect or fuse disconnect without resetting the TPS and then do a WOT run the car will buck and do weird things before it shifts at redline. Just like it's confused on where the throttle and rev limit are suppose to be for shift point.

My nephews and friends that are Chrysler techs didn't even know about the key trick to disable ESP.

Did Chrysler teach you that one or the others that supposedly don't work? I just love going to my Chrysler trained friends and nephews with these little tricks and surprise the hell out of them when they work.

Maybe there's a reason Chrysler don't teach their techs everything.

RICHSRT8
01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
You can also pull fuse #2 for 30 seconds or so and reinstall to reset the adaptive learn.

Call it BS all you want but hundreds if not thousands of members on this forum and others have experienced the adaptive relearn.

If I do a battery disconnect or fuse disconnect without resetting the TPS and then do a WOT run the car will buck and do weird things before it shifts at redline. Just like it's confused on where the throttle and rev limit are suppose to be for shift point.

My nephews and friends that are Chrysler techs didn't even know about the key trick to disable ESP.

Did Chrysler teach you that one or the others that supposedly don't work? I just love going to my Chrysler trained friends and nephews with these little tricks and surprise the hell out of them when they work.

Maybe there's a reason Chrysler don't teach their techs everything.
The topic was throttle reset.The fuse thing and battery disconnect will reset some addaptives,but sometimes it does not erase or reset everything.I Have lots of experience with this and could show you engineering documents.Not going to argue with a person who has no proof or experience! Believe what you want!Have fun with your car!:thumbsup:

Q8Chally
02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
is it possible to totally turn off this adaptive learning thing? Whenever I reset it with the predator my car runs like a dream, but after a week or so it seems to slog down again even though I drive it quite aggressively since i am here in Kuwait and have to reset again. I just want this BS to end :(