No actual key for new Challengers? [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: No actual key for new Challengers?

OmahaRumble
03-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Okay so I've had my 2010 Challenger R/T for a month and had a question. On the door there is a key hole for what looks to be a metal key. I never got that metal key from Dodge. I was only given two "key" remotes which have buttons for panic, doors and trunk. My question is,

1.) should I of gotten an actual metal key for opening the door.
2.) what if both key remotes run out of batteries, then how will I get into my car?

Thanks in advance

itzrick
03-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Look at your FOBs there's a release button and a medal key will pull out

OmahaRumble
03-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Look at your FOBs there's a release button and a medal key will pull out

Haha, very cool! I just tried it and a key popped out. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

itzrick
03-20-2011, 12:48 PM
That won't start the car just unlock the door and glove box.

waumo
03-20-2011, 01:16 PM
If you use the key to open the door the alarm will go off as I found out the hard way. :scratchhead:

OmahaRumble
03-20-2011, 01:22 PM
If you use the key to open the door the alarm will go off as I found out the hard way. :scratchhead:

How did you disable the alarm? I'm guessing if the key FOB is out of batteries you can't shut off the alarm, unless once you put the key in the ignition?

noz34me
03-20-2011, 05:42 PM
It's the dealer's responsibility to go over things like this with you. Sad.

runningman
03-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Just had this happen the other day after work. My key fob wouldn't unlock the car so.......pulled the key and did it old school....alarm went off. I used the key to pop out the push to start button and used the fob to start the vehicle.....again using the old school method. Thankfully the car did start and disabled the alarm :thumbsup:

a14umbra
03-20-2011, 05:45 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I've been fortunate so far and had responsible sales people who explained the more unique things about the vehicles I've bought.

MoparOhio
03-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Very weird... Using the key sets off the alarm? What the ____?????

OmahaRumble
03-20-2011, 06:10 PM

I give credit to my dealer finding the exact car I want. He was professional, and worked to give me a good deal. But in my excitement I didn't ask these sort of questions. You're right though, he could of also gone over stuff like this with me.

CURT LF
03-20-2011, 06:17 PM
☺☻♥♦♣♠•◘○◙♂♀♪♫☼►◄↕‼¶

dbmotors
03-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Will the key fob start the car, even if the fob's battery is dead? If not, then I really can't think of any reason to bother including the steel key, since it will set the alarm off anyway.

B-Digital
03-21-2011, 09:15 AM
id guess the steel key there in case your car battery dies cause then ud have no way to open the doors of the car at all. with the steel key u can and the alarm wont go off cause the battery is dead.

if your fob battery is dead you can still get into the car if u want but your not screwed in the sence that you could just go get a new fob battery (u dont need to get into the car to change the fobs battery) but if the car battery is dead and u didnt have a steel key how would you get into the car to pop the trunk to change the cars battery?

Mr Monte
03-21-2011, 09:20 AM
My key FOB battery died after 6 months. Luckily I was at home. Now I keep a spare key FOB battery in the console. My saleman didn't tell me about the key. I read the owner's manual & found it.

Terminal
03-21-2011, 12:06 PM

The salesmen when doing the final paper worked handed me this paper to sign that said he went over all the features, but he hadn't. He said he would once the car was fueled and ready to drive out. He of coarse did not, which would not have mattered because he didn't' know anything about it. I had done a lot of reading before I went so I was already pretty familiar with everything. I did have to find the key thing on my own, though.

Cuda340
03-21-2011, 12:16 PM
If your fob battery is dead you can still get into the car if u want but your not screwed in the sense that you could just go get a new fob battery (u dont need to get into the car to change the fobs battery) but if the car battery is dead and u didnt have a steel key how would you get into the car to pop the trunk to change the cars battery?

You do not need a battery in the fob for the ignition system to sense the key- the embedded transponder chip performs this function. The battery is only to send the RF signal to operate the lock/panic functions.

gr8srt8
03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
id guess the steel key there in case your car battery dies cause then ud have no way to open the doors of the car at all. with the steel key u can and the alarm wont go off cause the battery is dead.

The steel key is also there so that you can lock/unlock the glove compartment door when you want to secure something in there.

Go in for service (or use valet), lock the glove box door, "pop out" the key, then hand the guy/gal the key FOB.

Simple and easy-like...

rdockery_3
03-21-2011, 12:55 PM
You do not need a battery in the fob for the ignition system to sense the key- the embedded transponder chip performs this function. The battery is only to send the RF signal to operate the lock/panic functions.
...................X2

Mr Monte
03-21-2011, 03:00 PM

I know for a fact my SRT8 would not start with the key FOB battery dead. I tried to start it but it could not detect the key FOB. After I replaced the battery I was able to start the car.

itzrick
03-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Did you try the push button or poping the button out and turning the FOB?

Mr Monte
03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Did you try the push button or poping the button out and turning the FOB?

When I pressed the start button it displayed something about the key FOB not detected or not in range when the FOB battery was dead. All I did was replace the battery & it started.

itzrick
03-21-2011, 03:12 PM
The push button will not work but what I think cuda was talking about is popping the button off and putting the FOB in there like a key and turn it. I know I gave mine an error once and the push button didn't work but it still started useing the FOB as a key.
Troubleshooting: One FOBIK works with the start button but my other FOBIK says "Key not detected" and will not start the vehicle. It will however start the vehicle with the FOBIK used as a key directly into the WIN module.

Mr Monte
03-21-2011, 07:42 PM
The push button will not work but what I think cuda was talking about is popping the button off and putting the FOB in there like a key and turn it. I know I gave mine an error once and the push button didn't work but it still started useing the FOB as a key.
Troubleshooting: One FOBIK works with the start button but my other FOBIK says "Key not detected" and will not start the vehicle. It will however start the vehicle with the FOBIK used as a key directly into the WIN module.

I didn't know the start button popped off to reveal a key slot. Good to know , thanks

B-Digital
03-22-2011, 08:56 AM

never tried but my point was that the steel key is for when the car battery dies. If the car battery dies and u have no steel key, when you press the unlock button on your fob the car wont do anything... the battery is dead.

With the steel key u can manually unlock the door, and i guess ud have to crawl into the trunk via the back seat and open the latch (since theres no power for the trunk button) and you can change the battery.

i did have to do this in my 300 when i disconencted the battery and closed the trunk (like an idiot lol)

itzrick
03-22-2011, 10:26 AM
You can pop the hood after you get inside and usually charge or jump the car battery from under the hood.

Lazarus Dark
03-22-2011, 07:57 PM

if your fob battery is dead you can still get into the car if u want but your not screwed in the sence that you could just go get a new fob battery (u dont need to get into the car to change the fobs battery) but if the car battery is dead and u didnt have a steel key how would you get into the car to pop the trunk to change the cars battery?
Yeah, I'm not driving regularly in winter, especially since we had a lot of snow/ice off and on Jan-Feb this year, but I didn't drive the car for about 6 weeks and the battery died (I had intended to drive it at least once every 3 weeks :/ ). Had to use the metal key to open the door, but interestingly- the trunk popped itself open before it died (it's garage kept, so no security issue this time, but still makes me nervous that the trunk pops open by itself) I didn't think at the time to take note whether it also rolled the windows down before it died (you know, how it goes down a crack when you open the door.)

itzrick
03-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Never heard of the trunk popping when battery gets low feature.

usaffrank
03-23-2011, 05:07 AM

The sad part isn't that the dealer didn't go over this. Every one of these cars comes with an owner's manual, either in paper form or on CD, and a User's Guide. The fact is that practically every "discovery" mentioned in this thread is discussed in the owner's manual, as quoted verbatim below. The sad part is that most people expect to be spoon-fed information instead of trying to look it up on their own, preferring to blame the dealer or someone else for their own laziness.

"The Key Fob operates the ignition switch. It also contains the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter and an emergency key, which stores in the rear of the Key Fob."

"The emergency key allows for entry into the vehicle should the battery in the vehicle or the Key Fob go dead. The emergency key is also for locking the glove box. You can keep the emergency key with you when valet parking."

"To remove the emergency key, slide the mechanical latch at the top of the Key Fob sideways with your thumb and then pull the key out with your other hand."

"1. The ENGINE START/STOP button can be removed from the ignition switch for key fob use.
2. Insert the metal part of the emergency key under the chrome bezel at the 6 o’clock position and gently pry the button loose."

"The driver’s door key cylinder and the trunk button on the RKE transmitter cannot arm or disarm the Vehicle Security Alarm."

"NOTE: Entering a vehicle using the emergency key with the theft alarm armed, will result in the alarm sounding. Insert the Key Fob (even if the Key Fob battery is dead) into the ignition switch to disarm theft alarm."

"The battery is stored under an access cover in the trunk. Remote battery posts are located on the right side of the engine compartment for jump-starting."

Justinec101
03-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I was told recently that most modern keys have some sort of magnetic doohicky in them, and that if you have your key copied at home depot or something, it won't start the car. Not sure about simply unlocking. Is this true?

And did we decide that the 'emergency key' can start the car if you remove the push button?

itzrick
03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
The FOB will fit in the slot below the button and start the car. There are anti theft devices in most keys anymore but without them the key will still unlock the cars just not start them.