Novice needs educating on exhaust [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Novice needs educating on exhaust

kellichandler01
04-05-2011, 01:38 PM
I am a new owner of a 2011 R/T Classic, and I am wanting to get a louder, deeper sound. I have read lots of threads on various options, but for a novice, it is a little overwhelming. The first question is do I need a whole kit or just a muffler? What are the pros and cons to each? I am assuming the term cat back system means muffler, resonator, and everything in between. Is this correct?

Thanks so much!

Kelli

Mopar10RickVA
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Cost and sound. Sound is very subjective. What sounds great to one person may not work for another. Some people are happy with a simple low cost resonator delete while others will spend more ( cat back ) to get the sound they want. you can find some youtube clips but if you could hear them in person would be ideal. Drone is another issue to be aware of.

Cuda340
04-05-2011, 03:37 PM
How much do you want to spend? Prices can run from $200 (2 mufflers) to over $2,500 (complete cat-back system).

If you are on a budget, check out this installation of Jones' Full Boar Performance mufflers:

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archive/2008/09/04/Dodge-Challenger-Exhaust-Mods-on-a-Budget.aspx

dun4791
04-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Best advice is try and find some local get togethers where you can hear the different choices in person.....go from there.

OmahaRumble
04-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Best advice is try and find some local get togethers where you can hear the different choices in person.....go from there.

Good advise there. I was set on MBRP but after I heard the Borla exhaust from a fellow member in my area, I knew what I wanted.

pdl9dp
04-05-2011, 10:15 PM
for a louder and deeper sound, I would not spend the money for a complete cat back system. Granted I purchased and like very much the sound, the no drone, and the roar like hell sound when you get on it, of the solo mach system that was here on the group buy. I think you can get what you want by changing out the rear suitcase muffler's
with something that is more aggressive.

08blackrt
04-05-2011, 11:25 PM
I have the Blastin' Bob's glass packs on my R/T. I love the sound it makes when I get on it, but there's major resonance/drone from about 1000 to 2000 RPM at light throttle, and it annoys me, a lot. I went in on the Solo catback for the auto trans, and I hope to get it put on next week. The Blastin' Bob's resonator replacements will be up for sale, as soon as it is on.

kellichandler01
04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
This helps so much! I think I will start small with the mufflers and go from there. Now just deciding on which ones. There are not many owners in the area, but I am sampling what I can from you tube. Thanks again!