Will there be a Next Generation Dodge Challenger? [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Will there be a Next Generation Dodge Challenger?

phillie86
07-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Just want to do a poll and see what everyone thinks.

First Generation went from 1970-1974.
The Challenger then discontinued and resurfaced in 1978 until 1983.
It came back in 2008 and is only scheduled to be in production till 2014.

What do you think the faith of the Challenger is?
Do you think Dodge will discontinue it and bring in another coupe?

CruzKing
07-10-2011, 12:59 PM
i won't vote, bad karma, but the writing is on the wall if chrysler doesn't start getting the new generations hooked. there is just not enough to keep this going, if they change the outside they are done, so why would we buyanother one if no real guts changes?
i hope they listen.

renfrick1
07-10-2011, 01:40 PM
They could put what ever power plant they want in it. The only way I would buy another is if it were a convertible. Then I would not trade mine in I would just have two. One hardtop and one convertible. But thats just me I love my car and am not getting rid of it

RTRETRO
07-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Chrysler will kill the Challenger on April 1,2013...:(

11ChallySE
07-10-2011, 02:37 PM
so the chally ain't gonna get a redesign for the 2013 model year?

Redliner
07-10-2011, 02:44 PM
they need to offer Supercharged versions of the 5.7L and the 6.4L from the factory. Ram-air option functional hood or High pressure zone opening in front of windshield ala the old Camaro hood. Functional brake cooling ducts and a speed-sensing wing or duck-tail in back. LED taillights, optional extra stiff suspension, panhard bar, turbo version of the 3.6L V-6, 6 speed Auto with overdrive, and of course the convertible! I have more than one friend that wants one bad but won't buy an aftermarket convertible Challenger. Paint? Get with the program and get some paint from somewhere other than Japan. Sorry about what happened over there but we have to move on. Some Maroon with white stripes, chestnut metallic, burgundy, light pearl metallic green, etc. Give tons of choices on paint because everybody is different and likes different things. Bring back HO! Keep TO....Get a Super White maybe with some slick "white" wheels......180 degrees from the "blackout" ideas.........think outside the box.

Johnman
07-10-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't see how they pull off a major redesign, since the original never had one. The only way to freshen it up without messing it up is to do a 'Cuda model. But unless sales pick up dramatically, that probably won't happen.

HellRaiser
07-10-2011, 03:01 PM
They will redesign the Challenger only if the Cuda is killed. There is a big market for american muscle...especially mopar. Just look at everyone in here that will trade-in if they do the right thing.
Look at all the bone heads paying 6 figures for the old ones. It will come, and with Gilles behind the wheel, he is no joke. He will deliver.

Entaro
07-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I doubt it. Maybe Dodge will try their luck with another coupe design.

Carbon Hog
07-10-2011, 05:01 PM
They will redesign the Challenger only if the Cuda is killed. There is a big market for american muscle...especially mopar. Just look at everyone in here that will trade-in if they do the right thing.
Look at all the bone heads paying 6 figures for the old ones. It will come, and with Gilles behind the wheel, he is no joke. He will deliver.

Gilles behind the wheel? Rumor has it that the only new plans he's making for the SRT Challenger is a stereo and nav upgrade.....

Yeah, that helps ALOT at a stoplight or dragstrip.

But it will probably ADD $4k to the sticker...

Chrysler needs to get real.....

I'm not bustin your stones hellraiser, but cars are like real estate...everybody wants more for less nowadays.

I want sideways-smoking action, not a GPS or a better stereo. ....And I want it cheap.

phillie86
07-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Honestly I do want better sound and nav. I want it all. But I do also want more power. 392 is great but its time to make the SRT8 compete with the likes of the ZL1 and GT500.

RobF
07-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I dont think there is much in the way ahead for a total redesign, as the original 70s Chally never got one. I could see dodge freshening up the current body, perhaps a little streamlining here and there?

phillie86
07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
I dont think there is much in the way ahead for a total redesign, as the original 70s Chally never got one. I could see dodge freshening up the current body, perhaps a little streamlining here and there?

Well they could do a total rework on the interior and for the exterior its time to do a more modern / futuristic design.

Some will like, some will not.. lol honestly its the only way to keep something going... is to keep reinventing and keep moving forward.

Where they dropped the ball with the first gen, they must pick up with this third gen and move forward. Or else they should just cancel it.

SRT_Blubyu
07-10-2011, 06:12 PM
good style is timeless.. which is why the carnworks to this day.. for a redesign it doesnt have to be radical... a little light chsnge here.. fender crease there.. etc.. look at the porsche 911 or corvette for this.. a little tweak goes a long way!

phillie86
07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
good style is timeless.. which is why the carnworks to this day.. for a redesign it doesnt have to be radical... a little light chsnge here.. fender crease there.. etc.. look at the porsche 911 or corvette for this.. a little tweak goes a long way!

Unfortunately Dodge will never be a Porsche. And going a long time without a redesign hurts a car's name and legacy. Look at the 300.

Fuschia
07-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Hate to say it or even think it, but it may be inevitable... Not sure if a redesign is needed with more options or just a drop in price with lower interest rates, personally love the car the way it is.

USponycar
07-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I think both Dodge and Challenger owners would benefit if they killed it off so people only have a choice of buying what used ones are out there someday. I'd like to see it relaced with a 'cuda that's also very retro looking, lighter, and powerful as hell. I KNOW many Challenger owners (myself included) would go for a 'cuda should one be released. It would be a total hit IMO and renew interest all over again.

11ChallySE
07-10-2011, 07:30 PM
I guess to a point all of us should hope they do kill it off(especially you guys with the srt's and various special edition rt's) cuz the value of our cars will do nothin but go up if you can no longer buy a new one...

Fuschia
07-10-2011, 08:41 PM
I think both Dodge and Challenger owners would benefit if they killed it off so people only have a choice of buying what used ones are out there someday. I'd like to see it relaced with a 'cuda that's also very retro looking, lighter, and powerful as hell. I KNOW many Challenger owners (myself included) would go for a 'cuda should one be released. It would be a total hit IMO and renew interest all over again.Really like the 'Cuda too. Does anyone think they'll produce a Challenger convertible before they kill it off entirely or just go straight to the 'Cuda? :scratchhead:

MizzouRT
07-10-2011, 09:57 PM
If Dodge is going to spend the $$$ for sheet metal changes, then replacing the Challenger with a Cuda makes sense. That would avoid the problem Ford had with the Mustang, where the 2005-9 sheet metal really worked and sold well. Minor tweaks just to make a change resulted in the far less appealing 2010+ Mustang sheet metal and lower sales.

jsd512
07-10-2011, 10:36 PM
I am still optimistic. I vote there will be a next generation addressing the major issues: less mass, higher mpg model, more power, improved interior quality etc.

runner2go
07-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Unfortunately Dodge will never be a Porsche. And going a long time without a redesign hurts a car's name and legacy. Look at the 300.
The 300 was doing just fine until the butchered it this year... and the lower sales are proving that out.
Which is why I really hate to think about what they might do to our beloved Challenger.

Saw yet another factory grill on a new 300c at Carlisle this weekend... they're still searching for something folks might like.
The latest cheese grater... at the Mopar Performance display.

SRT8Tech
07-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Only way I would buy a new Challenger is if it looked nearly the same and it had an engine with at least 550 HP. Other than that, Im keeping my 392. Oh and the price cant be all jacked up either. LOL

IDMTfirefighter
07-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Challenger, right now, just does not command the name recognition that Camaro and Mustang has.
New/future challengers needs to be competitively priced and with enough options to appeal to a wide variety of buyers.
Ford has done with with great success with the Mustang.
As Ironside pointed out...if you "build your own" online the challenger comes out way overpriced.
Whatever happens at least the line has run long enough that decent aftermarket support should remain for a good long while.
Did not vote since there was not a "don't know whats going to happen" option

gatesauto
07-11-2011, 08:22 AM
i think it will redesign

phillie86
07-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Wow almost 70% of you guys think the Challenger will not be back. Interesting poll results.. glad I made this.

19johned53
07-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Don't know, but I'm thinking not. I'm at the age that it really doesn't matter to me what they do. I have the "one" that I want, and will pass on to my son some day.

It would be sad to see them screw this "Challenger" up with "new and improved" thinking.

We have the ultimate production "retro muscle" right now. Not the fastest, but fast, the best looking of anything out there, and it's a comfortable cruiser with substance.

If I wanted smaller, I would have looked at Mustangs, but Ford did the usual, IMO, and jacked up the looks on their lastest offering. The 5.0 is a strong motor, but the Mustang doesn't have the "looks" or "beef" that I like in a car.

Chevy, not even in my thoughts, unless they did a "retro" as good as Chrysler for a '68 Camaro.

Bottom line, I'm not trading for a new Challenger, redesigned, or upgraded. I love what I have, and if I live long enough, I'll mod it when needed, the good old American way, myself.

The Perp
07-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Interested only in the one make and model I have as well. I think the price put it out of reach for the normal "ford " people and that's not a bad thing. The content of the car reflects the cost..at least thats the way I see my baby! I would love to see a cuda tho!

phillie86
07-11-2011, 10:06 AM
The 5.0 is a great motor. Unfortunately they have more HP then Torque. If that thing had better torque across the band, it would be a killer little pony.

And thats the thing. The mustang isnt a muscle car, its a pony car.
The camaro and Challenger are REAL muscle cars due to their size.

AdventurerSport
07-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I believe that the redesign will be called Cuda, and that we will see whatever upgrades have been made to the other LX series cars by 2014 (I.e. Charger and 300 upgrades like Nav, keyless entry and start, one touch up and down windows, etc)

Could keep building basically the sane car for another 5-6 years easily. I hope the next gen addresses the issues like weight, power, mileage, etc, but I don't see that happening unless it also appears on the rest of the LX cars first.

JS

ceri
07-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I'd love to see a redesign that says good-bye to the past. I love the new charger design, and I loved the last one too. If they modernized the challenger the same way they did the charger, I'd still be a supporter. For a month or two, I'm sure I'd poo poo the new look (as I have with every other dodge redesign to date), but then I'd fall in love with it.

It needs to slim down and increase power to stay competitive with the others though. I love the 392, but even with the new beefed up engine, it's already fallen behind the other 2 with no factory SC option. The real namesake of the ram truck is the cummins (an aftermarket supplier). Pair up with a supercharger company and do the same thing. Badge it with the aftermarket blower company and make it prestigious. They did something like that with the 392, which was a cool move, but it still needs to prove itself head to head with the competition. As for the whole "it can't beat the viper" mentality, that's just plain dumb from a planning standpoint. If you want to keep that idea going, make the viper even faster. Don't sacrifice the challenger's name for the sake of a car that almost nobody can afford anyway. Step the R/T up to a 392 and put a blown 426 in the SRT in the first year of the redesign. People do NOT buy challengers for gas mileage. The MDS system is all fine and good, but as evidenced by the long list of people that buy a diablo to deactivate it, it's not selling challengers.

darkrt
07-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Give me mo power or less weight!

SRT8Tech
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Give me mo power or less weight!
Truu. Give me the option of ordering an SRT8 that is a base stripped down model 6.4L without all the "SRT" stuff in it so its 200 pounds lighter and 4k cheaper. I would love to have a bare bones 6.4L car. You could do that back in the day but not anymore. Costs them to much money for stuff like that.

Thrust
07-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I am really surprised by the amount of people that think this car will die. The whole "I have mine, if they kill it then it will make mine more valuable" mindset makes no sense. It would be decades before these cars would see any appreciation in value. I want The Challenger to have a long life. Who knows what the future holds for this vehicle. Will it be slightly smaller, more powerful, and weigh less? I would hope so, but if this car fails to receive a new generation, what make everyone so sure that a Cuda would be offered?

CruzKing
07-11-2011, 01:20 PM
dodge has done nothing to get the young folks into the mopar mindset as chevy and ford have done , all of us who were there already have bought our cars. there isn't enough market out there cuz of chrysler to keep this model going (no us buying new models won't be enough). no i don't think so. i only voted no cuz i wanted to see the results. like i said bad karma but i can accept it.

CruzKing
07-11-2011, 01:22 PM
by the way i saw a car yesterday that had GTO on it, what a fu**in joke. thats what going to happed to challenger

19johned53
07-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I am really surprised by the amount of people that think this car will die. The whole "I have mine, if they kill it then it will make mine more valuable" mindset makes no sense. It would be decades before these cars would see any appreciation in value. I want The Challenger to have a long life. Who knows what the future holds for this vehicle. Will it be slightly smaller, more powerful, and weigh less? I would hope so, but if this car fails to receive a new generation, what make everyone so sure that a Cuda would be offered?

At age 58, I bought my R/TC for my "early retirement" present, even though I'll probably never retire.

That being said, I budgetted for this car, and have no plans on "trading up" or into a "new model" Challenger. That's why for me, Chrysler can do whatever they plan on doing, and I'm fine with it.

I think that the livelyhood of the Challenger or rumoured Cuda will depend on the Charger/300 line. Right now it's with them in production. Whatever happens to these two cars, the Challenger will either follow, or ir it's redesigned "smaller", will have the production shifted to another plant with the same floorplan.

Between the economy and the "Greenies", it's hard to say how much longer the retro muscle era will last for a production car.

A lot of things "killed off" the original muscle cars, and a lot of things are happening now too.

I'm sure that Chrysler will do what they feel is right for the long haul, which is sales numbers and profit.

70barcuda
07-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I see no reason why Chrysler wouldn't continue to have a two door performance muscle car for as long as they continue to have the LX platform for the Charger and Chrysler 300. Maybe they call it a Cuda or make it a two door Charger, but I would think they would want to stay in the two door market since the bulk of the design work has been done with the Challenger.

Cuda340
07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
It all depends on the bottom line. Basically, Fiat must see a big profit in a redesigned Challenger. Unless they seriously market the car, make the price more competitive, and get around the upcoming CAFE restrictions, I don't see a bright future.

CTDodger
07-11-2011, 02:33 PM

Agree. A challenger is a challenger is a challenger. No redesign needed..just badges and engine modifications..but I would not want a redesign.

phillie86
07-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Question for anyone who can answer.

The challengers final year of production, is it 2013 or 2014?

Ie. 2013 Dodge Challenger or 2014 Dodge Challenger?

Greyhound
07-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I think it will disappear after 2014. This would be a shame, but I don't see the will on Chrysler's part to continue.

For example: 2012 new colors include "Cashmere Pearl". Wow, I can now get it in beige!

And no commitment to either slimming it down (perhaps impossible, I admit), or to factory supercharging it, or to bringing the price down to compete with Ford and GM. In my book the last point is key. Yes, I COULD pay $45000 to get an SRT, but I WON'T... and probably 95% of other buyers out there won't, either.

Love this car, just give me a reason to buy one.

nighthawk320
07-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I agree that Chrysler is doing nothing to get young buyers. I'm 26 and very seriously considered buying a challenger R/T in 2009 for the lifetime warranty. But the size and "relative" performance disadvantage pushed me off. I know, I know, I got the ugly step sister, but it's still shorter than my sister-in-laws Challenger SE (and 20 grand cheaper used). I'll never buy a camaro, and unless it says shelby I'll never own a Ford, but good looks alone didn't sell me on a Challenger. I voted yes because I have faith in Gilles. I know all he talked about was stereos and nav, but the guy also races in the viper series and is a genuine car guy. I think he'll give me a reason to get in a Challenger with the redesign.

troyus
07-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Gone after 2014 - replacement will be 500+ lbs lighter, get much better MPG in light of new CAFE standards. Replaced by 'Cuda.

Carbon Hog
07-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Let's just hope we don't see the Challenger turn into a downsized, front-wheel-drive v-6 turbo.......We've seen that before...it didn't end well.

Big Swede
07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Let's just hope we don't see the Challenger turn into a downsized, front-wheel-drive v-6 turbo.......We've seen that before...it didn't end well.

No kidding. If GM can produce a Camaro that appears will be available with over 570hp let's hope Chrysler can at least keep it close.

Rumor: Official 2012 Camaro ZL1 HP Numbers Easily Exceed CTS-V - LSXTV.com (http://www.lsxtv.com/features/rumor-official-2012-camaro-zl1-hp-numbers/)

ResumeSpeed
07-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Question for anyone who can answer.

The challengers final year of production, is it 2013 or 2014?

Ie. 2013 Dodge Challenger or 2014 Dodge Challenger?
Some years back I posted here that the 1st gen Challenger was scheduled for a 6-year run (2008-2013). Unless those plans have recently changed, the current gen would end with the 2013 model year.

JohnnyQuaaludes
07-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I was not thinking of Trading my 09 RT for a 2012
But will be trading in for a 2013,Hope it will be out sept 2012.
Challenger will be DEAD in 2013 or I hope soooooo,,,there are too many on the road as of now.
If FIAT was going to update the Challenger,,,you would be hearing it now and
not hearing it second handed.........................................JQ

Carbon Hog
07-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Some years back I posted here that the 1st gen Challenger was scheduled for a 6-year run (2008-2013). Unless those plans have recently changed, the current gen would end with the 2013 model year.

yeah, and THEN what? Something cheaper? Faster? More retro? Dish bro, we're sick of waiting......the dealerships are full of drunken idiots who know nothing...and I'm tired of guessing. Sh*t or get off the pot.

..and don't tell me how great the SRT is going to be, I could care less about a car costing $45k, I have kids and a house payment, no trust funds, beach houses or private jets here, I want cheap HP and I want it from Ma Mopar wrapped up in the R/T Classic package, NOW!

soapy
07-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Chrysler stated before they ever built one Challenger that the goal was to sell only 30,000 units per year. In Automotive news 2 weeks ago they had a article about the Challenger and current sales. For 2011 sales are up only 15% after a new interior upgrade and new engines. Through May of 2011 they had sold around 16,777 units. Camaro sales were 40,000 units and Mustang was 30,000 units for the same period. They speculated that if sales slide then it would be a coin flip as to weather it would be profitable to do a redesign. Most likely it would mean a smaller car after a redesign.

AdventurerSport
07-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Hopefully we'll see a limited edition 426 Hemi powered Challenger before this run ends...

JS

ceri
07-11-2011, 10:06 PM
In Texas, it's still pretty tough getting a stealership off sticker price much if any. They're selling exactly as many challengers as they want to and keeping the profit margins high. It's a different business model than chevy or ford which are definitely volume driven productions. Because it shares the LX platform, they don't HAVE to sell as many to be profitable. I don't see what Fiat could add in a positive way, but if the US branch retains control of the brand and they come out with a charger styled 4th gen, I think it could still be a winner for them. Honestly, there's really no where to go but up from a performance standpoint. They've got the 426 crate ready to go, and no factory supercharged options. They can drag that along for at least 6-7 years. Run the 392 for 2 more years (MY2013) then redesign for 2014 with the 426 for 3 more. Follow that up with either a new design 440, or slap a supercharger on the 426 and they've got another 3 years out of it taking us through the typical 6 year generation. If they shed weight for the 4th gen, then they'll be running neck and neck with ford and chevy easy.

And you'll all buy them too! :D

mfr1950
07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Since the world will supposedly end on 12-21-2012, don't worry about the possibility of another Challenger...:icon_evil::disgust:

JohnnyQuaaludes
07-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Chrysler stated before they ever built one Challenger that the goal was to sell only 30,000 units per year. In Automotive news 2 weeks ago they had a article about the Challenger and current sales. For 2011 sales are up only 15% after a new interior upgrade and new engines. Through May of 2011 they had sold around 16,777 units. Camaro sales were 40,000 units and Mustang was 30,000 units for the same period. They speculated that if sales slide then it would be a coin flip as to weather it would be profitable to do a redesign. Most likely it would mean a smaller car after a redesign.

With Europe crashing and oil climbing to $100
You will see LESS challengers being sold.
People are still losing their Jobs,and conpanys are not hiring
and interest rates will start to get higher soon.....
To me as I have been saysing,The Challenger is like the
walking Dead
Fiat will Kill the Car after 2013(I will buy a 2013}No reason
to make these cars with this economy...................................JQ

phillie86
07-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks RS.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a deal this fall.

Plumcrazy08
07-12-2011, 09:17 AM
:thumbsup:Buy yours now while you can. Enjoy your Modern Muscle car.
One thing is for sure history tends to repeat itself and gas will continue to go up.
I am just glad I was able to buy one of the coolest looking cars built today!

StealthChallenger
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
It has been discussed in another thread that they are considering a second generation Challenger depending how sales go. The 392 will get a supercharger, while the 5.7 will be tweaked for 400+ hp. The redesign will be more of a facelift like the 2011 Charger was with a new interior. The car is last in sales behind the Mustang and Camaro, but Dodge originally intended to sell only about 30K a year. They have hit that mark. They should keep it around and make it more competitive in performance and price.

FeedTheBeast
07-12-2011, 10:31 AM
There are several paths ahead. I'd like to see a Cadillac CTS-V competitor based on a complete redesign. Use a SC engine and all of the interior upgrades from the other cars (Charger ; etc). Make it a top end luxury/performance car. Unfortunately (even though I love it) you can only sell a particular exterior for so many years. And V-8s are on their way out.

CTS-V is ugly, but a great performer. Imagine what Dodge could do here. Let the Fiat brand carry the entry level coupe.

phillie86
07-12-2011, 10:45 AM
http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/2009_Nov_4th.jpg

IF this picture of Dodge's Plan (released on 09) is accurate, the production of the Challenger should go until end of 2014. (Meaning 2014 is the final dodge Challenger of the 3rd generation)

FeedTheBeast
07-12-2011, 11:08 AM
IF this picture of Dodge's Plan (released on 09) is accurate, the production of the Challenger should go until end of 2014. (Meaning 2014 is the final dodge Challenger of the 3rd generation)

Or MY2013 could last 18 months while they retool or use up existing stock. Gotta believe RS on this one. 2014 was a long way in the future when they made that chart. MY2013 may not be a sure thing.

Greyhound
07-12-2011, 11:55 AM
It has been discussed in another thread that they are considering a second generation Challenger depending how sales go. The 392 will get a supercharger, while the 5.7 will be tweaked for 400+ hp. The redesign will be more of a facelift like the 2011 Charger was with a new interior. The car is last in sales behind the Mustang and Camaro, but Dodge originally intended to sell only about 30K a year. They have hit that mark. They should keep it around and make it more competitive in performance and price.

I like the idea of the 400 HP 5.7. THAT would make me buy.

I think I heard aluminum block, too, for - 100 lbs.

JohnnyQuaaludes
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Problem is FIAT owns the company Now ,,,and will make changes from the folks that used to own the company,.
Fiat is not even talking about a future challenger,and I really think 2013 will be
the last year.....Funny most folks think I am driving a Mustang,,,,Few people
know what a challenger is.But Most know what a Camaro.No Sense in making a car that Most never heard of.......................................JQ

StealthChallenger
07-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Fiat must understand there is a niche market for this car. It is not a huge market, but then why make another Viper? I understand having a Halo car to carry the brand, but how many Vipers actually sell per year? If sales numbers don't justify the Challenger's existence, then why build another Viper, Dodge? Keep the Challenger or at least a 2 door coupe with a V-8 regardless of what it is called. Refresh exterior, make new interior, get more power/efficiency, drop the price. Add a convertible while you're at it. You WILL steal sales away from the Camaro and Mustang then.

jc lowry
07-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by StealthChallenger http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/v2/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/will-there-next-generation-dodge-challenger-61642-post859028/#post859028) "It has been discussed in another thread that they are considering a second generation Challenger (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/#) depending how sales go. The 392 will get a supercharger, while the 5.7 will be tweaked for 400+ hp. The redesign will be more of a facelift like the 2011 Charger was with a new interior. The car is last in sales behind the Mustang and Camaro, but Dodge originally intended to sell only about 30K a year. They have hit that mark. They should keep it around and make it more competitive in performance and price."

I was reading this thread last week before I went out of town and now I can't find it. Do you remember the name of the thread?

CTDodger
07-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Fiat must understand there is a niche market for this car. It is not a huge market, but then why make another Viper? I understand having a Halo car to carry the brand, but how many Vipers actually sell per year? If sales numbers don't justify the Challenger's existence, then why build another Viper, Dodge? Keep the Challenger or at least a 2 door coupe with a V-8 regardless of what it is called. Refresh exterior, make new interior, get more power/efficiency, drop the price. Add a convertible while you're at it. You WILL steal sales away from the Camaro and Mustang then.

I hate to think of my challenger as just a 2 door coupe with a V8. The Challenger is more than a name; it's an iconic brand that Dodge should not thoughtlessly redesign. History tells us they will lose more customers by simply making the car smaller or by simply trying to keep it around just for the name. I say retire the name for good after 2013 or whatever and work on a brand new hybrid engine that will power muscle cars of the 21st century.

Greyhound
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by StealthChallenger http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/v2/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/will-there-next-generation-dodge-challenger-61642-post859028/#post859028) "It has been discussed in another thread that they are considering a second generation Challenger (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/#) depending how sales go. The 392 will get a supercharger, while the 5.7 will be tweaked for 400+ hp. The redesign will be more of a facelift like the 2011 Charger was with a new interior. The car is last in sales behind the Mustang and Camaro, but Dodge originally intended to sell only about 30K a year. They have hit that mark. They should keep it around and make it more competitive in performance and price."

I was reading this thread last week before I went out of town and now I can't find it. Do you remember the name of the thread?

That thread went and got itself deleted!

FeedTheBeast
07-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Trust me -- don't go there.:fight:

jc lowry
07-12-2011, 05:42 PM
That thread went and got itself deleted!
ARRRRGH! Noooooooooo! I was looking forward to reading it.
:smokin:

:icon_evil:Did you copy more of it?

tonyl
07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
They could put what ever power plant they want in it. The only way I would buy another is if it were a convertible. Then I would not trade mine in I would just have two. One hardtop and one convertible. But thats just me I love my car and am not getting rid of it

I'm with you. Give me a Challenger convertible and I might never buy another car. Can get mine chopped for $18-20k and believe it or not, I'm seriously considering taking the plunge.

ResumeSpeed
07-12-2011, 06:09 PM
ARRRRGH! Noooooooooo! I was looking forward to reading it.
It just [censored] a little about [censored], with a few [censored] about upcoming [censored] and also some information on [censored], [censored] and the new [censored] for model year [censored]. That was about it from what I remember.

jc lowry
07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
It just [censored] a little about [censored], with a few [censored] about upcoming [censored] and also some information on [censored], [censored] and the new [censored] for model year [censored]. That was about it from what I remember.

Seems like there is all ways one Bad Banana in in every bunch whom ruins it for everyone else:werd:

FeedTheBeast
07-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Seems like there is all ways one Bad Banana in in every bunch whom ruins it for everyone else:werd:

The thread did not appear accurate. There is a lot of guess work on the blogs -- but you have to apply some common sense (SC viper engine and improved gas mileage for example). Since folks like me use this info to choose the best time to buy -- getting bad info off the boards is a service (and I did read what had been posted).:bigthumb:

IDMTfirefighter
07-13-2011, 08:35 AM

LOL that is too funny RS

deranged
07-13-2011, 09:36 AM
When they are done they are done. It will not sell in any other variation than this body style.

When the tree huggers and bean counters take over we'll all have Barrett Jackson cars! YIPPEE!

Johnman
07-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Funny most folks think I am driving a Mustang,,,,Few people
know what a challenger is.But Most know what a Camaro.No Sense in making a car that Most never heard of.......................................JQ
The car is underbadged. One guy drove up next to me real excited and said "What kind of car is THAT? I was looking for a name but didn't see one anywhere." It only says "Challenger" in the deeply recessed grille, and even the "Dodge"on the rear is hard to see-chrome letters over a clear lens backed by chrome. Anyone looking over my car is more likely to go away thinking "Alcoa Forged" than "Dodge Challenger" since it says that in 4 places. Ridiculous-a car like this could be it's own best advertisement.

phillie86
07-13-2011, 10:49 AM
The car is underbadged. One guy drove up next to me real excited and said "What kind of car is THAT? I was looking for a name but didn't see one anywhere." It only says "Challenger" in the deeply recessed grille, and even the "Dodge"on the rear is hard to see-chrome letters over a clear lens backed by chrome. Anyone looking over my car is more likely to go away thinking "Alcoa Forged" than "Dodge Challenger" since it says that in 4 places. Ridiculous-a car like this could be it's own best advertisement.

Who cares? People notice it! Everyone sees mustangs everywhere and know what they are.

People see Challengers and may have no idea so they love the fact its rare, they might even think its old school or custom.

:D

R/T FAN
07-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Keep them the same retro... I wouldn't buy an 80's challenger looked like crap not even the same car.

Just add more chrome and hp and I'll buy another sometime. Maybe....My GWE 392 is pretty hot....

IDMTfirefighter
07-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Who cares? People notice it! Everyone sees mustangs everywhere and know what they are.

People see Challengers and may have no idea so they love the fact its rare, they might even think its old school or custom.

In my last job my corporate boss had come down for a site visit and told me what a great restoration job I did on my car! LOL

Shifty11
07-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I dont want it to die...I havent even gotten a challenger yet and wont be for like a year or two. D: I love the car...and i have an issue if "used" so i dont want it dead.
But i am interested by a 'Cuda. Never actually seen an original but a lot of people here like it so i want to find a good picture of one.

pdx.challenger
07-13-2011, 05:25 PM
....People see Challengers and may have no idea so they love the fact its rare, they might even think its old school or custom.

The day I pulled into my driveway with the car, my next door neighbor complimented me on the '70's Challenger in perfect condition that I bought. :thumbsup:

runner2go
07-14-2011, 07:36 AM
I dont want it to die...I havent even gotten a challenger yet and wont be for like a year or two. D: I love the car...and i have an issue if "used" so i dont want it dead.
But i am interested by a 'Cuda. Never actually seen an original but a lot of people here like it so i want to find a good picture of one.

You never saw one of these...
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr274/pinkduster70/showroom9.jpg

or this...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/resqguy/Carlisle%202011/70AARBlk1Comp.jpg

Poor boy... http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pity.gif

Well now you have :bigthumb:

Doozle
07-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Great thread, y'all. I'm not sure if there's anything more that I can add here except that I think several of you are a little too fixated on the year 2014. Don't be worrying about 2014, we need to be concerned with 2016. That's the year all the Govt imposed CAFE requirements will kick in. Those are the all encompassing corporate average fuel economy requirements. Which means for every mopar muscle car (Challenger, Charger, etc) sold Chrysler (Dodge) will have to sell lots more fuel economy econonobox cars in order to make up the difference. So where 's the performance future you ask well, as long as the mopar muscle cars have 400+ HP engines and can get on average 35 mpg we're good to go.
As for a restyle I envision the Challenger getting fully functional side extractors like the 72-74 Challengers did. Morphing into a Cuda is also a distinct possibility as well. As long as the car maintains its original, "classic" Challenger/Cuda shape I think the car has a bright future. In fact the only redesign I can even remotely imagine would be a modern interpretation of the 1979 Chrysler 300 that was based on the late 80's Chrysler Cordoba. I hear a 8 speed auto transmission, paddle shifters, & upgraded stereo DVD/NAV system are also in the works as well. You guys who want a strip down version of the Challenger just need to wake up, it just ain't happening. Why, because hardly anyone sells stripped down cars & even less of the public buy them. Face it, like it or not & for better or worse, "fully loaded" optioned cars are here to stay. Some of y'all say you want Dodge to offer production superchargers & the like while others say the SRT8 is over priced as equipped so which is it? For example, look at the Hurst Challengers, are you willing to pay another $25K on top for a new SRT8, didn't think so. Yes the car is heavier, that's the point exactly, its a muscle car not a pony car.
For those who say a turbo V6 would be a cop out I submit to you the 1984-1987 Buick Grand National & GNX. They helped rewrite the book on performance way back when.
As for me I absolutely love my 10 SRT8 however if Dodge indeed does add all the above to the last year production car> I'll very seriously consider trading up for the final Challenger incarnation. After all I did that same thing when it came to my Buick Grand National!

PermanentGrin
07-14-2011, 09:43 AM
walking Dead

I guess that explains why Dodge, Ford, GM, Toyota, and Honda are all hiring, or getting ready to. (Not to mention Cummins.)

StealthChallenger
07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
I forgot about the CAFE 35mpg standards for 2016. Thanks EPA and you liberal hippies for killing the muscle car again. If it were up to them, we'd all be driving Chevy Volts. "The more the plans fail, the more the planners plan." Pretty much sums up Washington D.C. these days. (off soapbox)

jsd512
07-14-2011, 10:37 AM
I forgot about the CAFE 35mpg standards for 2016. Thanks EPA and you liberal hippies for killing the muscle car again. If it were up to them, we'd all be driving Chevy Volts. "The more the plans fail, the more the planners plan." Pretty much sums up Washington D.C. these days. (off soapbox)

As long as the fleet average is 35.4 by 2016, you can build whatever you want. I think Chrysler's fleet average is around 32mpg right now, give or take a little.

PermanentGrin
07-14-2011, 11:21 AM
As long as the fleet average is 35.4 by 2016, you can build whatever you want. I think Chrysler's fleet average is around 32mpg right now, give or take a little.

Given that most folks in this economy and fuel price regime, IF they're in the market for a NEW car, are buying smaller and more fuel efficient cars, the fleet average should go up, if Chrysler is doing it's job right. With Fiat (under Marchionne) in the mix, I don't see how they can fail. That guy turned Fiat around like Iacocca did Chrysler in the 80s, perhaps moreso.

19johned53
07-14-2011, 02:16 PM
GM and Ford in KC are "hiring". I know a few guys who have been working as "temps" that are going on to full benefits/full time employee this week.

So there's hope, but yes, overall things look really bad out there in the "looking for good employment" world.

Sully1046
07-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I hope Dodge keeps the Challenger. A redesign and a diet would go a long way to bring this car back to being king of the hill! Look at the Mustang redesigns have worked on it and its stronger now than a few years ago. Dodge also needs the convertible version, from the factory. A freshening of the interior needs to be done, not just a new steering wheel and new gauge faces, the hard plastics dash is out. Dodge knows it, look at the Charger the dash is miles ahead of the old one.

PermanentGrin
07-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Politics aside, if it were not for a bailout, how many MORE people would be without a job due to over half the automotive manufacturing sector of the domestic nameplates closing shop? and how ruinous to our economy would that be.

Face facts, we just didn't bail out GM and Chrysler alone. We bailed out a whole sector to avoid an even greater collapse in the economy. It may be one of the few parts of TARP that actually were worth the money. Chrysler is 1/3 the size it was in 2005, and seems to be getting better every quarter, qualitatively, quantitatively, or both. People are starting to talk about Mopars again, lack of Challenger-specific advertising notwithstanding. If Dodge sells 30,000 units every year of Challengers, and doesn't do well in the mass market with consumer cars, especially the Charger and Chrysler's 300C, it's all for naught.

Hell Ride
07-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Guys if you insist on keeping up this futile discussion, take it to sending pm's. You guys are making me sick with all this ****. Seriously, this thread is about the survival of the challenger, many people have stated that they don't care about your opinions politically. Stow it and stop ****ting in the thread.

Now, I don't know what will happen to the challenger. I like the idea of the cuda. I also think that when dodge does redesign or "freshen" the challenger, they should remove the orange indicators from the grill and put all white light up there. Perhaps relocate the indicators to the fogs.
If dodge does go cuda though, I would suggest going 70 or 72-74. I am afraid I don't like the 71

greenspanDan
07-18-2011, 10:38 AM
i don't know if we'll see a redesign or not. it all comes down to whether chrysler really is happy with the model of selling ~30k challengers a year (while the camaro and mustang triple that).

JohnnyQuaaludes
07-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Fiat willnot change the Challenger into a Cuda,,,if it was you
would be reading it now.(Stop yeaaaa wishing it will never happen}
I wannaaa see a Fiat 500 Challenger Rt for 2014,,,,with at least 114 HP....................................JQ

PermanentGrin
07-18-2011, 11:19 AM
i don't know if we'll see a redesign or not. it all comes down to whether chrysler really is happy with the model of selling ~30k challengers a year (while the camaro and mustang triple that).

The answer to that question is based on several factors that somewhat play into each other.

1. Is it making them more money than not having the Challenger?

2. Is it adding to or taking away from their production capacity for other E-class cars (300C, Charger, future Alpha Romeo, etc.) built on the same line?

3. Is it good for the overall brand marketing effort.

The answer to the first seems to be yes, because some folks would be less likely to buy a Charger than the Challenger, partly for retro purity reasons (look, 4 doors, etc), and also for some the lack of a manual trans in the Charger.

The second is currently not an issue, since Brampton isn't anywhere near capacity. On the other hand, if it was an issue, Chrysler would be in much better financial shape and this could possibly be handwaved as not an issue needing dealt with.

The biggest question I have on three is not if it's good for the brand. It's OUTSTANDING. The question I think most if not all of us here have is WHY THE (pick your favorite 4 letter word) hasn't Chrysler capitalized on it??? (Aside from economic restrictions resulting from TARP.)

runner2go
07-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Dam Hippies http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoke.gif http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

ceri
07-19-2011, 09:46 PM
1. Is it making them more money than not having the Challenger?

2. Is it adding to or taking away from their production capacity for other E-class cars (300C, Charger, future Alpha Romeo, etc.) built on the same line?

3. Is it good for the overall brand marketing effort.

The answer to those 3 questions tells me it'll see a redesign. For the model they were shooting for, it's working according to the plan. If they keep it cross platform (and I don't know if it's the platform that makes it so heavy or the refined interior) it's got to be relatively cheap by model redesign standards to put another one out. Since they have such a high amount of capacity going unused, I could even see them going "modern" with the design and putting it up there with the benchmarks of chevy and ford production runs. Sort of a "we did the retro for the mopar enthusiasts, now it's time for the broader market". They've got to know that the performance is lagging behind their biggest competitors, and without some cardio to slim it down some, horsepower alone wont do it.

If SRT really is becoming it's own stand alone brand, then I'd love to see the original "muscle car" packaging with a stripped down big engine model. If the pricing were right, I'd jump at the chance. I'd plan on building my own interior anyway. Strap some front seats and a stick to the floorboard, MAYBE include an A/C, and sell it for $25-28k. Radio delete, open source PCM, no evic, no tpms, no back seats, no HIDs, no problem. Maybe even just a basic suspension system with option packages available depending on your preferred driving style. No sway bars, cheapo shocks, 16-17" rims. Toyota does something like it with their scion brand. It's a consumer customizable brand. Granted scion is mostly twinkly lights and shiny metal add ons, but why not do it with the rest of a car?

Hell Ride
07-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Would be a cool idea, a fantastic idea in fact, but tpms and traction control are now government mandated. Sorry, but that's the new game. I got nothing but a base model with the 3.92 rear end, 5.7 and the auto, cloth and all. The fastest factory R/T.

AdventurerSport
07-19-2011, 09:59 PM
General question for anyone that may know:

Did Chrysler marketing EVER intend for the Challenger to compete with Mustang and Camaro on a sales basis? I don't think so...

Especially not Mustang, which tends to sell simply because it's a Mustang. Camaro sales? I'd like to see them. Last I read, Challenger was projected to sell 30K/year, and I think that they are selling that many, so no worries. So what if we don't sell as many Challengers as Mustangs...we never did, and may never EVER, but so what?? :)

JS

jsd512
07-19-2011, 10:51 PM
General question for anyone that may know:

Did Chrysler marketing EVER intend for the Challenger to compete with Mustang and Camaro on a sales basis? I don't think so...

Especially not Mustang, which tends to sell simply because it's a Mustang. Camaro sales? I'd like to see them. Last I read, Challenger was projected to sell 30K/year, and I think that they are selling that many, so no worries. So what if we don't sell as many Challengers as Mustangs...we never did, and may never EVER, but so what?? :)

JS

These are the annual sales numbers for the Challenger:

2008: 17,423
2009: 25,852
2010: 36,791
2011: 40,000 Projected

hunttriumph1500
07-20-2011, 02:27 AM
I rather they discontinue the Challenger in 2014 then completely redesign it!! I much rather Chrysler get the fans of the new Challenger plus new fans/customers really EXCITED about a new MOPAR car like a Cuda! Something lighter obviously with the same retro + modern feel/appeal. Heck the current LX platform for the Challenger will be retired in 2013-2014 anyway so something big will happen.... Guess we'll wait and see.

BayouTiger
07-20-2011, 04:35 AM
dodge has done nothing to get the young folks into the mopar mindset as chevy and ford have done , all of us who were there already have bought our cars. there isn't enough market out there cuz of chrysler to keep this model going (no us buying new models won't be enough). no i don't think so. i only voted no cuz i wanted to see the results. like i said bad karma but i can accept it.

^^^^^Greg has it right here. The built-in sales based on the "copy" of the 70 is done. To really grow, they need to appeal to the young folks. This means lighter and more economical to own AND operate. That doesn't mean it has to be gutless. A 'cuda would bring some more built-in sales, but nothing like the original surge and would do nothing to bring in the youth unless they could base it on the 200 platform which could be done with a turbo version of the Pentastar. You are not going to see much lighter car based on the LX/LC.

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/2009_Nov_4th.jpg

Too many hung on the 2014. It's a 5 year plan done in 2010 of course it stops at 2014.

PermanentGrin
07-20-2011, 05:45 AM
^^^^^Greg has it right here. The built-in sales based on the "copy" of the 70 is done. To really grow, they need to appeal to the young folks. This means lighter and more economical to own AND operate. That doesn't mean it has to be gutless. A 'cuda would bring some more built-in sales, but nothing like the original surge and would do nothing to bring in the youth unless they could base it on the 200 platform which could be done with a turbo version of the Pentastar. You are not going to see much lighter car based on the LX/LC.

Certainly not lighter AND reasonably priced. A D-segment Cuda with turbo-six would rock, especially if you used a turbo system similar to what's on the 6.7L Cummins (albeit a bit smaller) with the variable nozzle system, eliminating turbo lag. They COULD foreseeably redesign the Challenger somewhat, update the interior, not go overboard on the exterior, and keep it as the bruiser muscle coupe/cruise king it is. Then we'd have a Mustang/Camaro fighter and something nobody else has, which is the big sexy muscle coupe you can take on trips.

Doozle
07-20-2011, 07:20 AM

What he said above. The original 70's model never got one so why the needless speculation about whether this current incarnation of the Challenger should get one confuses me. Keep the original (2008) look but make the changes where they count, under the hood & on the inside. Howzabout a 6.7 litre engine, 8 speed auto transmission, "ALL Wheel Drive", thicker sway bars, mechanically speaking, the best of the best Chrysler has to offer. Interior mods, paddle shifters, DVD/Nav improvements, better quality leather seats, etc. But keep the overall look of the "Chally" the same. Many of you guys who're unhappy now with how the Challenger looks right now would be furious @ a complete redesign anyway so why ruin a good thing? To those of you who are crying for a stripped down, no options Challenger, dream on. No one is making a stripped down version of anything automotively speaking, why, because there isn't any money to be made by doing so. To make a no frills car as some of you describe would be tantamount to committing automotive suicide. The days of the no options car are done, it was done in by "creeping featureism". As it sits the car has a timeless beauty that will stand the test of time far down the road, just relax & enjoy what you've got right now!

:thumbsup::)

Omicron
07-20-2011, 09:12 AM
These are the annual sales numbers for the Challenger:

2008: 17,423
2009: 25,852
2010: 36,791
2011: 40,000 ProjectedGood post. Where did you get these numbers please?

StealthChallenger
07-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Didn't they only make 6,400 in 2008?

Omicron
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Only 6400 SRT8s.

BayouTiger
07-20-2011, 01:05 PM
All 2008's were SRT8's. I think the Canadian cars were in addition to those. The numbers pposted above don't look correct. I wonder if they are calendar year numbers. General production started in late 2008.

jc lowry
07-20-2011, 01:53 PM
I rather they discontinue the Challenger in 2014 then completely redesign it!! I much rather Chrysler get the fans of the new Challenger plus new fans/customers really EXCITED about a new MOPAR car like a Cuda! Something lighter obviously with the same retro + modern feel/appeal. Heck the current LX platform for the Challenger will be retired in 2013-2014 anyway so something big will happen.... Guess we'll wait and see.

Why is it Obvious that A New Redesigned Retro car should be lighter. Isn't that the point. A 4000 pound car that can do 0 - 60 in 5 seconds has a much different feel than a 3000 car that can do the same thing. Also I don't want to loose the back seat and trunk. I want a fun car that I can use everyday. Dodge know we are a niche market and that mustang and camero are not really the competition. I hope they redeign the interior, but dont want it to change much. Also, why do you think that a Cuda would be any better than the Challenger. Its perfect just the way it is, Classic on the outside and modern on the inside and under the hood

hunttriumph1500
07-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Why is it Obvious that A New Redesigned Retro car should be lighter. Isn't that the point. A 4000 pound car that can do 0 - 60 in 5 seconds has a much different feel than a 3000 car that can do the same thing. Also I don't want to loose the back seat and trunk. I want a fun car that I can use everyday. Dodge know we are a niche market and that mustang and camero are not really the competition. I hope they redeign the interior, but dont want it to change much. Also, why do you think that a Cuda would be any better than the Challenger. Its perfect just the way it is, Classic on the outside and modern on the inside and under the hood

Oh looking for something new I guess... A Cuda, Roadrunner, what ever, yeah lighter would be maybe 500 lbs not alot but enough...It would be exciting to have another legend return.

jsd512
07-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Good post. Where did you get these numbers please?

One of the Challenger blogs, cannot remember which one. There are 3 or 4 of them.

jsd512
07-20-2011, 08:28 PM
All 2008's were SRT8's. I think the Canadian cars were in addition to those. The numbers pposted above don't look correct. I wonder if they are calendar year numbers. General production started in late 2008.

They are calender numbers, not model year numbers.

jsd512
07-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Here is the Wiki page for Challengers. The sales numbers are listed in a small box to the left, down about half way. Sales through June 2011 are nearly 3000 ahead of last year to the same point. I am willing to bet, if the Challenger reaches 40K, that proves the car can sale above expectations and is worth extending it's life. They do not have to redesign it, just add more power in the R/T, supercharge the 392, maybe a twin turbo 3.0 (mentioned in the 5 year plan) and less mass, ACR version etc. There are many things they could do to keep it relevant and more competitive with the Mustang and Camaro. It's too cheap to build to just get rid of it after it exceeded sales projections - does not make sense to get rid of a car that exceeds sales projections.

Justintime2
07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
The 3k ahead in sales numbers is after almost a full model year of production, with 2012MY soon to come, and a completely new/improved engine with new features, so that numbers not likely to return much of their investment in bringing that new power plant to market. Not on this model anyway...

jsd512
07-20-2011, 10:36 PM
The 3k ahead in sales numbers is after almost a full model year of production, with 2012MY soon to come, and a completely new/improved engine with new features, so that numbers not likely to return much of their investment in bringing that new power plant to market. Not on this model anyway...

Not sure what you are trying to say, sorry? Calender year 2011 is going to be the best year yet. I would look to take that momentum into 2012 calender year (MY2013), with more colors, special Challengers etc (another Mopar Challenger). Detroit might be a good time to show something special for the Challenger.

Hell Ride
07-21-2011, 08:03 AM
If I was Mopar, I would release a model now that has a performance package. The Mopar 10 was just some stickers and a glue on scoop, now give us a package that's available like gm did with the slp cars. I know we had the option with hurst but I have a feeling that the whole gold accent thing was repellant to some customers. The stage 1 turbo upgrade on the SRT 4s was massively popular so I say do it, give us what we want! Give me mods or give me death!

Justintime2
07-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Meaning that with the new model sales should have been far better. They came to market with new engines, better performance and features yet look to just match the normally project growth line that they've been seeing each model year already. Doesn't bode well for the Challenger...
Not sure what you are trying to say, sorry? Calender year 2011 is going to be the best year yet. I would look to take that momentum into 2012 calender year (MY2013), with more colors, special Challengers etc (another Mopar Challenger). Detroit might be a good time to show something special for the Challenger.

Justinivor
07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
I can't answer: no, dodge will stop the Challenger, and I wish I could say with confidence: yes.

But even with reasonable sales, the issues with cost for performance and dealer support have to be addressed first to get potential owners and current owners to invest in a new model (word-of-mouth is so crucial).

Chrysler has made some major advances with Gilles in charge and those who are part of the new management team, but the confidence level and thus profits are not IMHO at the point where they can justify a re-design.

mlgreen
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Just curious, I'm looking to trade in my Charger R/T for an 09-10 Challenger SRT next year. I may hold off if there's a redesign in the near future. Seeing how most cars have a 5-6 year cycle, that would make 2013 the year for a redesign. Has anyone heard if Chryco is going to redesign the Challenger or cancel it?

Doozle
11-17-2011, 06:16 AM
FWIW, I don't see a major body redesign in the Challenger's future because it may not around all that much longer. Some speculate that 2014 is the last year but I'm a bit more optimistic in that I think the Challenger might be around till 2015. I personally think the Challenger will be gone by 2016 unless Chrysler can somehow convince the many multitudes of masses to buy lots of Fiat 500's & other small almond shaped commuter cars in droves. 2016 is when the national C.A.F.E., corporate average fuel economy requirements will kick in. That means for every performance loving R/T or SRT they sell to enthusiasts, they have to sell "X" number of small, fuel efficient cars to off set the #ers gas guzzler they have sold. Now Chrysler could come up with a Hybrid version of the Challenger but I'm not sure how all the Challenger faithful will take to that? Still anything that keeps a good thing going is a okay in my book!

ND RAM
11-17-2011, 07:32 AM
When they are done they are done. It will not sell in any other variation than this body style.
When the tree huggers and bean counters take over we'll all have Barrett Jackson cars! YIPPEE!

What he said. I'd be willing to bet that 95% of those saying they hope it dies are the same ones that think that a Challenger is a solid investment in their retirement fund. It's just plain selfish honestly and even if they killed it off now there are already FAR more 3rd Gen. Challengers than there were originals made.

walking Dead

Some of you watch (and buy in to) the news media gloom and doom stories far too much. There's no real reason to make a muscle car in any economy but there are ALWAYS some buyers.

There are several paths ahead. I'd like to see a Cadillac CTS-V competitor based on a complete redesign. Use a SC engine and all of the interior upgrades from the other cars (Charger ; etc). Make it a top end luxury/performance car. Unfortunately (even though I love it) you can only sell a particular exterior for so many years. And V-8s are on their way out.
CTS-V is ugly, but a great performer. Imagine what Dodge could do here. Let the Fiat brand carry the entry level coupe.

The 300 SRT-8 is Chrysler's version of a CTS-V fighter. That is a luxury sedan, a Challenger is a completely different market. It might not be competitive enough in your eyes but it is in Chryslers. I've seen more 300 SRT8's on the road than CTS-V's.

Great thread, y'all. I'm not sure if there's anything more that I can add here except that I think several of you are a little too fixated on the year 2014. Don't be worrying about 2014, we need to be concerned with 2016. That's the year all the Govt imposed CAFE requirements will kick in. Those are the all encompassing corporate average fuel economy requirements. Which means for every mopar muscle car (Challenger, Charger, etc) sold Chrysler (Dodge) will have to sell lots more fuel economy econonobox cars in order to make up the difference. So where 's the performance future you ask well, as long as the mopar muscle cars have 400+ HP engines and can get on average 35 mpg we're good to go.
As for a restyle I envision the Challenger getting fully functional side extractors like the 72-74 Challengers did. Morphing into a Cuda is also a distinct possibility as well. As long as the car maintains its original, "classic" Challenger/Cuda shape I think the car has a bright future. In fact the only redesign I can even remotely imagine would be a modern interpretation of the 1979 Chrysler 300 that was based on the late 80's Chrysler Cordoba. I hear a 8 speed auto transmission, paddle shifters, & upgraded stereo DVD/NAV system are also in the works as well. You guys who want a strip down version of the Challenger just need to wake up, it just ain't happening. Why, because hardly anyone sells stripped down cars & even less of the public buy them. Face it, like it or not & for better or worse, "fully loaded" optioned cars are here to stay. Some of y'all say you want Dodge to offer production superchargers & the like while others say the SRT8 is over priced as equipped so which is it? For example, look at the Hurst Challengers, are you willing to pay another $25K on top for a new SRT8, didn't think so. Yes the car is heavier, that's the point exactly, its a muscle car not a pony car.
For those who say a turbo V6 would be a cop out I submit to you the 1984-1987 Buick Grand National & GNX. They helped rewrite the book on performance way back when.
As for me I absolutely love my 10 SRT8 however if Dodge indeed does add all the above to the last year production car> I'll very seriously consider trading up for the final Challenger incarnation. After all I did that same thing when it came to my Buick Grand National!

Nobody is saying that MOST people want a stripped down car but there is still a definite market for them ala Boss 302. The same can be said that not everyone wants a totally optioned out car, myself included. The key factor here is that most younger drivers are the ones that want the stripped version. Those younger drivers are the ones that need to be targeted is the model is to survive. Take a look at the Mustang for a minute. It seems the Mustang is always looked at as the benchmark for the pony car/muscle car market at least in terms of business models BECAUSE IT IS. The Mustang offers something for everyone, from a 6-spd V6, to a stripped Boss 302, to a loaded any model, to the GT500. Every facet of the pony car market is targeted; men/women, young/old, racers/street cruisers, etc. The Challenger as is has made a game of targeting mostly 40+ year old males that remember the original and are trying to relive their glory days. Nothing wrong with that plan it’s just not a sustainable plan once all of the baby boomers get their Challenger that they have lusted after for the last 40 years.

Turning a Challenger into a Corboda?!? Really?:huh:

FWIW, I don't see a major body redesign in the Challenger's future because it may not around all that much longer. Some speculate that 2014 is the last year but I'm a bit more optimistic in that I think the Challenger might be around till 2015. I personally think the Challenger will be gone by 2016 unless Chrysler can somehow convince the many multitudes of masses to buy lots of Fiat 500's & other small almond shaped commuter cars in droves. 2016 is when the national C.A.F.E., corporate average fuel economy requirements will kick in. That means for every performance loving R/T or SRT they sell to enthusiasts, they have to sell "X" number of small, fuel efficient cars to off set the #ers gas guzzler they have sold. Now Chrysler could come up with a Hybrid version of the Challenger but I'm not sure how all the Challenger faithful will take to that? Still anything that keeps a good thing going is a okay in my book!

Hence the reason they only want to sell around 30-40k a year now. They already have to fight the CAFÉ standards but FIATs will go along way towards helping their cause.

Guys if you insist on keeping up this futile discussion, take it to sending pm's. You guys are making me sick with all this ****. Seriously, this thread is about the survival of the challenger, many people have stated that they don't care about your opinions politically. Stow it and stop ****ting in the thread.
Now, I don't know what will happen to the challenger. I like the idea of the cuda. I also think that when dodge does redesign or "freshen" the challenger, they should remove the orange indicators from the grill and put all white light up there. Perhaps relocate the indicators to the fogs.
If dodge does go cuda though, I would suggest going 70 or 72-74. I am afraid I don't like the 71

Like it or not politics plays a HUGE role in a cars survival. There is so much that is mandated into a car these days and that plays into the cost of the vehicle. Plus look at the CAFÉ standards that are regulated onto the auto industry. Please show me one new car that is by no means effected by politics, just one.

71 was my favorite year `Cuda although the 70 was sweet too.

A new `Cuda will not, and should not happen. The Challenger as stated had many “built-in” sales just simply by being a retro looking Challenger with the “Challenger” nameplate. A `Cuda would target the exact same buyers, many of whom already have a Challenger and can not afford another new car (some can but a model can’t survive and remain competitively on those few). I would be fine with a total redesign although I know many current Challenger owners would not. Why? The Challenger needs to GROW to SURVIVE. There is very little growth in a car that would refuse to change as many are asking for. The Mustang has many more followers and many of them cry foul every time there is a redesign but Ford does what it has to do to ensure that the Mustang remains THE top pony car.

Dadstoy
11-17-2011, 11:09 AM
not sure when.

I will trade my 2011 SRT if:

they come out with a 392 supercharged with 8 speed auto.

if they redesign without making a super charged version I will keep my 392.

If they redesign I would like to see minor changes.

lighter weight
more HP of course
a 392 stripped down that would be street legal
6 speed auto or 8 speed for better gas milage. I am getting 22mpg with my A5. with an extra gear I am sure I could get about 25 on the highway.

I would rather see the challenger stop and make a new cuda. then I would keep my challenger and get a cuda.

Shifty11
11-17-2011, 01:42 PM
I dont want to vote, I personally love the challenger too much to.. erm...imagine it leaving. Id love to see it go on TILL THE END OF TIMEEEE *raises sword*

Shifty

Doozle
11-18-2011, 06:55 AM
"Turning a Challenger into a Cordoba, really? Huh?"

Well it happened in 1975 to the Plymouth Roadrunner. Does anybody remember the 1975 version of the aforementioned Plymouth Roadrunner? As a "refresher" this was a 1 year only body style & very Cordoba like in its body shape. In 1976 the Plymouth Roadrunner became a decal & stripe package option on the Voltaire (Dodge Aspen). I remember an old Fraternity brother of mine back then actually had a 77-78 Dodge Aspen R/T, fire engine red with yellow & orange stripes galore plus a front & rear body colored spoilers. Even back then I remember thinking to myself; "my how the mighty have fallen", with regards to the hemi's & 440's that could've been had several years ago!

Randy M
11-18-2011, 07:26 AM
I personally think that there will be a new Cuda to compete with the new Mustang in 2015. The Challenger will go out with a bang as a supercharged SRT8. Hopefully one with a 426. If one want a big one with big power the next 2-3 may be your final opportunity.

pdx.challenger
11-18-2011, 09:01 AM
I've uncovered a spyshot of the next generation Challenger!

ChallengerPhil
11-18-2011, 09:22 AM
I've uncovered a spyshot of the next generation Challenger!

Aren't 80's cars cool?

Makes me want to find an AMC EAGLE!

pdx.challenger
11-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Aren't 80's cars cool?

I don't know if "cool" is the word that Challenger. :nono:

I think the 87/88 Monte Carlo & 86/87 Regal were awesome! :thumbsup:

IDMTfirefighter
11-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Aren't 80's cars cool?

I miss my old 2.2L turbo shadow...the driver side hood bulge with turbo stickers made it even faster LOL
http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p340/IDMTfirefighter/1987_Dodge_Shadow_ES.jpg

pdx.challenger
11-18-2011, 10:46 AM
...the driver side hood bulge with turbo stickers made it even faster LOL

:rofl: .....10

ChallengerPhil
11-18-2011, 11:21 AM
I miss my old 2.2L turbo shadow...the driver side hood bulge with turbo stickers made it even faster LOL
http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p340/IDMTfirefighter/1987_Dodge_Shadow_ES.jpg

Haha! Ah man... those were the days! They would eat a 5L powered GM anything that was equipped with only TBI.

Too bad VNT had issues.

Always wanted one of these:

elie
11-19-2011, 12:28 PM
If Dodge will stop Challenger, I will have to buy a second SRT and keep it in my garage, starting it from time to time and keep it for the future.
Once my first Challenger get high mileage I'll sell it and start using my second :)

rm2092
11-19-2011, 07:28 PM
I had a 2007 Turbo Shelby Charger, Red with the silver striping.

IDMTfirefighter
11-21-2011, 06:53 AM
I had a 2007 Turbo Shelby Charger, Red with the silver striping.

nice looking car you got there...welcome to CT btw

ND RAM
11-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Haha! Ah man... those were the days! They would eat a 5L powered GM anything that was equipped with only TBI.

Too bad VNT had issues.

Always wanted one of these:

I've got one with your name on it. If I ever do anything with it it'll probably have a V8 and a 4-spd anyway...:weird: http://www.fquick.com/ND_RAM

elie
11-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I was waiting to hear somethin about the new projects of Dodge regarding the Challenger at the 2011 SEMA show, but it seems I was wrong :(

WALLYVINEZ
11-21-2011, 09:27 PM
not sure when.

I will trade my 2011 SRT if:

they come out with a 392 supercharged with 8 speed auto.

if they redesign without making a super charged version I will keep my 392.

If they redesign I would like to see minor changes.

lighter weight
more HP of course
a 392 stripped down that would be street legal
6 speed auto or 8 speed for better gas milage. I am getting 22mpg with my A5. with an extra gear I am sure I could get about 25 on the highway.

I would rather see the challenger stop and make a new cuda. then I would keep my challenger and get a cuda.

I have to say I'm in DADSTOY's corner - If Ralph & Co make a CUDA in 2014 or beyond, I will keep my R/T (will have 60K miles on by then anyway) and buy the new CUDA ! :redblob:

jsd512
11-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Bad news guys, Cuda trademark was refused to Chrysler just recently.

2LZ
11-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Not only that....the Baracuda was a Plymouth....now defunct. If Mopar introduced another,...my feeling is it would be like Ford did with the 2 seater T-Bird, even though they're still in business. A flash in the pan novalty to be bought now and kept. Unfortunately....I think it's reception would be more like the Bobcat to the Pinto. Same car....different glued on stuff.

The Challenger never made the body style/technology upgrades and changes the Camaro and Mustang did all the decades. The original Challenger was a 4 year run car. We've already outlasted that, at this point.

I loved my '72 and it's why I bought my 2011. Hooked on the styling....but I fear it's a limited time deal. I'm keeping mine.

BLAKCART
11-21-2011, 10:51 PM
They will have to kill off this current bodystyle - regardless of how beautiful it is - or it will stop selling. I am hoping that they stick with this body with only minor changes ( I would love some hideaway headlights, and a choice of hoods) long enough to seriously upgrade the interior and beef up the engine. They don't need to redesign the interior totally, but how about THE OPTION of heated/cooled seats, dual power seats, dual air, heads up display, the new touch screen controller - ala charger, and some high end options that belong there as options on a 45,000 dollar car. If you want a stripped down model, that should be an option too, but to want common options on other cars not available for my favorite ride is disappointing. As far as the engine, they need to SELL, not necessarily give away with every car, an unlockable PCM. They need to offer intercooled supercharger option too, just so we can crank the snot out of it with a cheap pulley and tune like the mustang guys. A 426 or 440 would be nice too, but it is harder to get cheap, substantial gains out of a N/A motor. We all know that no matter how much power it makes stock, we want more, so give us that ability.

BLAKCART
11-21-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't understand why they can't build another car on the same platform that could be the future development car that gets all the cool stuff and styling changes. It could appeal to whatever target group they want like the mustang does with tons of options, without hurting the Challenger brand image. It could be a new muscle car with a modern body design, and any technology developed for it could bleed right over and bolt directly onto to the Challenger. The R and D is already done, it wouldn't cost much to do this. They could sell them relentlessly. Seems like a win-win.

jim r
11-22-2011, 04:59 AM
If Dodge will stop Challenger, I will have to buy a second SRT and keep it in my garage, starting it from time to time and keep it for the future.
Once my first Challenger get high mileage I'll sell it and start using my second :)

You can keep your spare SRT8 in my garage if you want!

j.jones7
11-22-2011, 05:07 AM
I totally agree. the Challenger already has a better interior than all the cars in its class. Ever other car maker is comparing there interior and Nav/ stereo to dodge so who would we change it and screw it up. The second piece is I wouldnt buy another challanger unless it was similar to the body style it currently have and it had atlest 550 horse power. Dodge will have to supercharge to compete with the new lz1 and the gt500. I hope they get smart and realize in order to continue to sell SRT8 470 isnt going to compete with the GT500 650hp and the lz1 586hp. This is srt8 class/ comptetion!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldnt trade my car for anything. The 2011 SRT8 is the first V8 with 470/470 OFFERED by dodge. Perfect car!!!!!!!!! its

GTOGreg
11-22-2011, 06:13 AM
They don't need to change the basic design, but they do need to lose weight; between 250-400 lbs. I expect they will change the rear end up a little bit and maybe go with an aluminum motor and some lighter weight components. I don't expect a major re-design because it breaks the formula and is too risky.

elie
11-22-2011, 10:18 AM
They don't need to change the basic design, but they do need to lose weight; between 250-400 lbs. I expect they will change the rear end up a little bit and maybe go with an aluminum motor and some lighter weight components. I don't expect a major re-design because it breaks the formula and is too risky.
The design is really great and still eye catcher!

GTOGreg
11-22-2011, 11:57 AM
No question, you got quite a looker there Elie!!! I'm enjoying my GT500 for now, but may be back in with a Challenger (alongside the Shelby) sometime in the next year or so. Seeing what ChryCo's next move is. I would be pretty happy with the current 392 though...very nice ride.

ND RAM
11-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Really?!?! That's kinda surprising how much money they make off the name Cuda from a merchandising standpoint.:scratchhead:

troyus
11-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Agreed.. 10% smaller and lighter and done! Though I've come to like the big brute it sure would make life easier on twisty backroads and parking lots...

elie
11-22-2011, 02:54 PM
No question, you got quite a looker there Elie!!! I'm enjoying my GT500 for now, but may be back in with a Challenger (alongside the Shelby) sometime in the next year or so. Seeing what ChryCo's next move is. I would be pretty happy with the current 392 though...very nice ride.
You also own a great car, the GT500, you will have the best two cars when you acquire the Challenger as well.
As you said, nobody knows what will come up in 2013, maybe an S/C :)
All the best!