How to open trunk with dead battery? [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: How to open trunk with dead battery?

TonyD
09-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Its just a matter of time till the battery dies, and rather than hiring one of the neighborhood kids to crawl into the trunk to release it I was wondering, if I hooked up a battery to the jump posts under the hood, would that allow the remote to open the trunk?

Yahooligan
09-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes, the jump posts provide power to everything so you'll be able to open the trunk.

renfrick1
09-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Put the back seat
Down and pull the lever

Yahooligan
09-28-2011, 11:45 AM
I wonder if nobody else completely read the original post? ;)

Its just a matter of time till the battery dies, and rather than hiring one of the neighborhood kids to crawl into the trunk to release it I was wondering, if I hooked up a battery to the jump posts under the hood, would that allow the remote to open the trunk?

TonyD
09-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Yahooligan, I was hoping that would work.

walnetto
09-28-2011, 01:28 PM
How about putting a loop of rope on the end of a long stick, pull down the back seat and hook the emergency handle? It would depend if it could be pulled from that direction. Wait a sec, I think this was brought up last year. Knock on the deck and ask the trunk monkey to pull the release. I do like the loop on a stick, though. Then again, jumping the car is probably the best way, unless you don't have jumper cables.

raVenX
09-28-2011, 02:55 PM
... I was wondering, if I hooked up a battery to the jump posts under the hood, would that allow the remote to open the trunk?
Yes, that will work. Did it not too long ago on Rattler249's car.

CURT LF
09-28-2011, 03:13 PM
There is an emergency release for the trunk but it is little known. On the taillight grab the FIRST D with your left hand and turn it COUNTER CLOCK WISE while at the SAME TIME grab the SECOND D and turn it CLOCK WISE. You might have to try a couple of times to get the timing right.

426hemicuda
09-28-2011, 06:48 PM
There is an emergency release for the trunk but it is little known. On the taillight grab the FIRST D with your left hand and turn it COUNTER CLOCK WISE while at the SAME TIME grab the SECOND D and turn it CLOCK WISE. You might have to try a couple of times to get the timing right.

Hey Thanks! That worked on mine!:guiness:

RTRETRO
09-28-2011, 06:56 PM
The last thing I'd worry about is opening the trunk...:scratchhead:

Cichlid
09-28-2011, 07:00 PM
The last thing I'd worry about is opening the trunk...:scratchhead:

Maybe to change the battery? :dunno:

walnetto
09-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks a lot Curt. That cost me a lot of money. My Ds looked crappy when I tried gluing them back on, so I was about to pick up a whole new tail light assembly at the parts department when a salesman approached me and talked me into a 392 with the first 8 speed. Thought it would be worth bundles in forty years, if I live to 102. I tried to take it back, but he said the buy back policy expired yesterday. Then he explained the 8 gears. Five forward, one backwards, motionless and locked.

DarthChallenger
09-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Well I shaved the trunk key hole and did a key delete on the drivers side door of my Charger. So if the battery dies, I would be screwed but I purchased the Summit Racing Jumper Terminals (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1430/)and mounted them under the rear bumper. Now if the battery dies, I can still jump the ride from the outside.

crater
09-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Well I shaved the trunk key hole and did a key delete on the drivers side door of my Charger. So if the battery dies, I would be screwed but I purchased the Summit Racing Jumper Terminals (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1430/)and mounted them under the rear bumper. Now if the battery dies, I can still jump the ride from the outside.

Doesn't the Charger have underhood points just like the challenger? Pop your hood, jump good to go. If the battery is bad, pop the hood, jump, pop trunk, replace battery.

Yahooligan
09-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Doesn't the Charger have underhood points just like the challenger? Pop your hood, jump good to go. If the battery is bad, pop the hood, jump, pop trunk, replace battery.

But he has no place to unlock any door with a key...can't pop the hood if he can't get in.

Hemi-Roid
09-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Then how would he go about getting the car turned over after the jumper is connected? Remote start perhaps?

Yahooligan
09-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Then how would he go about getting the car turned over after the jumper is connected? Remote start perhaps?

Er, the point of the "hidden" posts is so that he can get power to the car in order to open the doors. Why would he need to start it before he gets in?

DarthChallenger
09-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Er, the point of the "hidden" posts is so that he can get power to the car in order to open the doors. Why would he need to start it before he gets in?

You got it!!

Hemi-Roid
09-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Well if you look at what he wrote, he said jump the car, not charge it till it has enough energy in the battery to unlock the doors. Jump vs charge. I'm no where near a mechanic but If you don't have access to the ignition, how would you jump the car? I understood the POINT of the post. You said 'get power to the car', which to me means he'll use a charge source. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My car is sitting in storage and when i return home you can save me a ton of time if you know something that I don't. I personally had a battery so dead (last time) it didn't take a 'jump' I had to charge it.

Yahooligan
09-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Well if you look at what he wrote, he said jump the car, not charge it till it has enough energy in the battery to unlock the doors. Jump vs charge. I'm no where near a mechanic but If you don't have access to the ignition, how would you jump the car? I understood the POINT of the post. You said 'get power to the car', which to me means he'll use a charge source. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My car is sitting in storage and when i return home you can save me a ton of time if you know something that I don't. I personally had a battery so dead (last time) it didn't take a 'jump' I had to charge it.

I don't know what you're going on about, you're way off in left field by yourself.

He didn't say jump START, he said jump, as in use jumper cables. Do you know what shaving locks means? Maybe that's the problem here. The way he set up his car, the ONLY way to unlock the doors requires electricity because he now has NO key holes. Without the hidden posts, if his battery were to die the ONLY way he could get back into his car to do ANYTHING would be to use a slim jim or break a window.

Either you're over-thinking things or not thinking things through, I don't know. The only person that said anything about starting the car with the hidden posts was you. :notallthere:

B-Digital
10-06-2011, 10:52 AM
i had to crawl through the back seat and into the trunk to release the trunk from the inside last spring when i brough my car outta winter storage, tint ass garage so the doors could barely open, big guy (me) then had to crawl into the back seat, then into the trunk, then back out... sigh what a pain in the ass

walnetto
10-07-2011, 08:22 AM
That's it. I'm marketing a fishing pole with a loop on the end to grab that thing from inside the car. :-)

Flat Top
10-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Damn,, I have a defect in mine, been trying to twist the D zzs all morning and there stuck !!!!! Going in for warranty !!
FT

GrindAZ
11-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I figured there was a key hole under the rubber boot of the trunk button. If not, it doesn't seem like Dodge put much thought into this issue.

My battery is in the trunk. My jumper cables are in the trunk. I have subs in a box blocking access through the rear seats.

So if my battery dies that is in my trunk, I'm screwed in the trunk.

Yahooligan
11-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I figured there was a key hole under the rubber boot of the trunk button. If not, it doesn't seem like Dodge put much thought into this issue.

My battery is in the trunk. My jumper cables are in the trunk. I have subs in a box blocking access through the rear seats.

You have posts under the hood to connect jumper cables so no, you're not screwed...unless you want to replace your battery where it sits without hooking up jumper cables. :thumbsup:

pdx.challenger
11-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Shoot the damn thing open. :armed:

walnetto
11-09-2011, 03:51 PM
His jumpers are in the locked trunk. He would have to get someone else to open it. However, were they thinking that the owner would alter the car to prevent access to the trunk. I think they would call it user error. Two wrongs don't make a right in this case.

340GTS
11-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Nobody addressed opening the drivers door w/ a dead battery. Will the door open if the window does not drop? I have a valet key to unlock. But if the window does not drop 1/2", might it damage the weatherstripping trying to open the door???

I thing I will install remote jump posts before I need them.

walnetto
11-10-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm sure you could open the door without much trouble, but closing it would be a problem. But, you would probably be jumping from the hood or taking other measures to get your problem fixed so you could lower the window by the new or recharged battery.

Jak
11-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Yeah, I always thought that was a bad design flaw from Dodge. They should've put a key lock on the trunk like they did the drivers door. But hey what do I know, I'm just a working class grunt, not a designer(poke, poke Dodge designers).