Key Fob - The Real Scoop [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Key Fob - The Real Scoop

2LZ
11-10-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm posting this here as I have a 2011 SE and have no idea if there's any real difference between it and the R/T or SRT8 fobs other than maybe remote start, so here ya go.

Last time I was at my dealer, we were discussing some of the things about the car I was amazed with, especially after coming out of a 10 year old work truck. We started discussing the fob, keyless entry, etc...
I mentioned that the car was smarter than I am as it won't even allow me to lock the fob in the trunk, say if myself or wife accidently drops it while loading groceries. I then mentioned I really like being able to start it on the cold mornings, get out and lock the doors while it warms up.

He then said, "Oh...that doesn't matter. If the fob is not detected, anyone who gets and and tries to take it, the car dies when you step on the brake and try to put it in gear."

So, I got home, parked it in the street, while I waited a good 30 feet away, with my fob and had Mrs 2LZ get in and try to leave....which she did...and proceeded to drive up and down the street with no fob on her.

Obviously, they sell other brands there besides Dodge so maybe he was thinking of another vehicle brand. What's the real scoop here? I've searched other threads for some solid info but no luck, after some good searching.
Can someone get in my running car, with no fob and drive indefinitely?

stevewhiteparts
11-10-2011, 11:24 AM
with keyless go, will start up to a distance, on some of the test we have done, sometime as far as 30 feet, once the vehicle has been started you can drive anywhere you like without the fobik, it will run as long as there is gas in it, if you turn it off it will not restart, the whole situation freaks me out a little, have now become very conscientious of my environment when i fill up, would not be hard to be standing 15 to 20 feet away and somebody slip into the car and haul a$$
Luke

waumo
11-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Here is how mine works, I tested it.

Remote start and then leave the fob away from the car. Get in and try to drive off. As soon as I tried to put in gear, it dies.

Keyless go start and take fob away. Continues to run until shut down and then cannot start again.

So no, if I remote start, somebody without a fob on them cannot drive off.

Jefferson1964
12-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Here is how the keyfob worked on my 2011 SE. I had my wife get into the car and I stood outside. With the windows up even if i was right next to the window it said did not recognize key and would not start the car. She rolled down the window and I leaned in and the car started. I then walked inside the house with the keyfob, however, she was able to run the car up and down the street without a Kfob. We both thought once she put it in gear the car would shut off like her Hyundai but it does not. Now if she turned it off and did not have the fob then she could not turn it back on. I tested this as I get out of my car alot to take photos of properties and was hoping the car would die if someone jumped in and tried to drive off without the fob...no such luck....i have to be carefull about taking photos...but the good news is if the car is off and the fob is in your pocket and your outside the car someone cant just jump in hit the start and take off...wont work....moral to the story do not leave your fob inside the car always keep it on your person......

LURCH
12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
07 and newer Harley's are like that, the key fob has to be near to start but when it's running it will run until you kill it one way or another.

I have not tried my car to know what it does.

2LZ
12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Here is how the keyfob worked on my 2011 SE. We both thought once she put it in gear the car would shut off like her Hyundai but it does not. I tested this as I get out of my car alot to take photos of properties and was hoping the car would die if someone jumped in and tried to drive off without the fob...no such luck......
At first, I thought it was kinda bunk that you could get in and drive off without the fob. Then, I started thinking....

1 - When I warm and defrost the car in the morning, I lock the doors after I fire it up with the little button on the handle. If someone wants it, they have to bash a window. Not that I leave it unattended and running for longer than a few seconds anyway.

2 - It's NICE TO KNOW that if I'm away from home....and my fob malfunctions....I have a one-shot trip to either get home to my other fob or to the dealer for a new one. I'd be kinda miffed if I was 50 miles from home, my fob died and the second I put it in gear, it died and I was screwed.

waumo
12-15-2011, 02:55 PM
2 - It's NICE TO KNOW that if I'm away from home....and my fob malfunctions....I have a one-shot trip to either get home to my other fob or to the dealer for a new one. I'd be kinda miffed if I was 50 miles from home, my fob died and the second I put it in gear, it died and I was screwed.

If you have keyless go and the battery in the fob dies or the keyless go quits working, you can always pop the start button out, insert the fob and start like a regular ignition. The keyless go and proximity start functions in the fob are separate systems.

Dreamco
01-22-2012, 09:15 AM
If you have keyless go and the battery in the fob dies or the keyless go quits working, you can always pop the start button out, insert the fob and start like a regular ignition. The keyless go and proximity start functions in the fob are separate systems.

Nice to know....Thanks

shootdownthestars
01-22-2012, 11:21 AM
yeah i heard about this a while ago. Never tried it myself but I believe everyone that has. What a horrible "feature". I am very conscious of where I put that fob.

RubyRoo
01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
I commonly put the key fob in the center console area when I get in the car, since I have the keyless go feature. The other day, I forgot to grab the keys, locked and closed the door. The horn beeped 3 times and the doors unlocked. I did not know there was feature which detected the keys in the car and would prevent you from locking them inside. I don't know if this is an option or if it's equipped on all Challys....er, Challenger, but it's def a very cool feature.

I tried it again once I got home ( and had the spare key). Yep, it works.

mgnorth
01-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Is this not the same behavior cars have always had (back in the day when we had real keys)? If I left my old car running, someone could get in and take off with my car. If the car is not running, they can't (at least as easily).

I never leave my key in the console - I have no reason to take it out of my pocket. But it is cool that the car will not let me lock the keys inside accidentally. For those who do not know - if you try three times to lock the keys in you can - so if you are trying to leave the keys locked inside you still can.

2LZ
01-22-2012, 09:42 PM
I commonly put the key fob in the center console area when I get in the car, since I have the keyless go feature. The other day, I forgot to grab the keys, locked and closed the door. The horn beeped 3 times and the doors unlocked. I did not know there was feature which detected the keys in the car and would prevent you from locking them inside. I don't know if this is an option or if it's equipped on all Challys....er, Challenger, but it's def a very cool feature.

I tried it again once I got home ( and had the spare key). Yep, it works.
You think that's cool? Toss your fob in your trunk and close it......as if you dropped it loading groceries. It pops right open.
Damn car is smarter than me!...not that that's saying a lot.

ptgarcia
01-23-2012, 08:48 AM
You think that's cool? Toss your fob in your trunk and close it......as if you dropped it loading groceries. It pops right open.
Damn car is smarter than me!...not that that's saying a lot.

That freaked my wife out the first time it happened to her. She thought her trunk was broken. :D

Dreamco
01-23-2012, 04:29 PM
That freaked my wife out the first time it happened to her. She thought her trunk was broken. :D

That's funny! The same exact thing happened to my wife!

interwoven
02-06-2012, 03:54 PM
I do believe the manual on my 2011 said that if you hit the lock button on the handle with the FOB in the car that it will not lock the first 2 times but it will on the third. Might want to check the manual but I thought I saw that.

Nupe_Coupe
02-07-2012, 05:29 AM
I do believe the manual on my 2011 said that if you hit the lock button on the handle with the FOB in the car that it will not lock the first 2 times but it will on the third. Might want to check the manual but I thought I saw that.

When the dealer I went to was showing me this feature on the car, he put the keys in the cupholder, locked the car, and could not open it back up. He had to go get the spare fob to open the door. I'm assuming this was beyond the third time they had shown someone this feature. I don't know what it takes to reset the count though.

mgnorth
02-07-2012, 06:56 PM
When the dealer I went to was showing me this feature on the car, he put the keys in the cupholder, locked the car, and could not open it back up. He had to go get the spare fob to open the door. I'm assuming this was beyond the third time they had shown someone this feature. I don't know what it takes to reset the count though.

I have not tested this - but I have to believe it resets when the keys are removed and it is locked successfully. Anything else would make no sense.

B5ClassicRT
02-07-2012, 07:51 PM
2009 Dodge Challenger Push-Button Start - YouTube

2LZ
02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I've tried the door rubber button and the trunk...and it pops open.
My thoughts are if you try to lock yourself out of your own car, 3 times in a row...you either want it or deserve it.:D

Dreamco
02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
.......My thoughts are if you try to lock yourself out of your own car, 3 times in a row...you either want it or deserve it.:D

Hahaha!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

6point4SRT8
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
That's funny! The same exact thing happened to my wife!

Hahahaha! The same thing happened to my husband too.