Barracuda to replace Challenger in 2014 [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Barracuda to replace Challenger in 2014

Pages : [1] 2

MoparOhio
01-09-2012, 04:16 AM
Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger with a Barracuda!

Written by: Todd Lassa (http://blogs.motortrend.com/author/todd-lassa/) on January 8 2012 8:20 PM

http://blogs.motortrend.com/files/2010/11/2011-dodge-challenger-srt8-392-inaugural-edition-1-623x389.jpg

DETROIT — The 2012 North American International Auto Show has barely opened to the international press (http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/coverage/100/detroit/2012/), and already the hottest rumor on the show floor is that Chrysler/Fiat is working on a replacement for the Dodge (http://blogs.motortrend.com/detroits-hottest-rumor-chrysler-to-replace-dodge-challenger-with-a-barracuda-20329.html#) Challenger. It will be called Barracuda (though probably not Plymouth) and could be ready in time to launch for the original’s 50th anniversary, which would be a couple of months before the Ford Mustang’s 50th anniversary in April 2014 and the launch of that new car. Two unimpeachable — though not inside — sources have told me about the Barracuda. The Dodge Challenger is the most literal interpretation of its ancestor. Because it uses the DodgeCharger (http://blogs.motortrend.com/detroits-hottest-rumor-chrysler-to-replace-dodge-challenger-with-a-barracuda-20329.html#)/Chrysler 300 platform, it has the high front cowl of those two large sedans, and so its overall length is considerably longer than the 1970-74 Challenger, which already was the biggest car in its class. That Challenger shared its platform with the 1970-74 Barracuda, but with a stretched wheelbase.
The ’74 Challenger was followed by a Mitsubishi-sourced coupe because it needed to be morefuelefficient (http://blogs.motortrend.com/detroits-hottest-rumor-chrysler-to-replace-dodge-challenger-with-a-barracuda-20329.html#) to get through mid-decade gas prices. There is no way to follow up the current Challenger without either changing everything but the sheetmetal, or fully redesigning it to make it look nothing like the ’70-’74/’08-current model. If Chrysler is going to redesign it, why not make it a radical departure?
A 2014 Barracuda would be much shorter, lighter and smaller overall than the current car, something we’re hoping to see from the 2015 Chevrolet Camaro. It would not use the newCharger (http://blogs.motortrend.com/detroits-hottest-rumor-chrysler-to-replace-dodge-challenger-with-a-barracuda-20329.html#)/300′s LY platform, but would be on a shorter rear-wheel-drive platform, probably something closer to the Hyundai Genesis coupe.
What makes this scenario economically plausible is that such a platform also would serve Alfa Romeo well, with a new moderately priced RWD platform for a sports car (http://blogs.motortrend.com/vehicle-types/sports/) and sports coupe (http://blogs.motortrend.com/vehicle-types/sports-coupes/). The question is whether the platform would package a V-8 for the Barracuda as well as a small, high-output and probably breathed-on turbo four for Alfa.
The Dodge Challenger launched in the 2008 model year, which means a five year cycle would end with MY13. A new Barracuda would launch in the 2014 model year. Ford plans to unveil an all-new Mustang in Spring of 2014 as a 2015 model. The original Mustang made its debut in April 1964 at the New York Auto Show (http://blogs.motortrend.com/vehicle-news/auto-shows/new-york-auto-show/) as a ’65 model.
One source speculates that the new Barracuda would borrow a number of cues from the original, fastback Valiant model, all the way through the 1970-74 model, when the Barracuda converged with the Challenger and no longer used the Valiant platform. Will the new car be a fastback, like the 1964-66 model, or a notchback, like the ’70-’74, or both, like the ’67-’69?
We’d bet on the notchback, at least, because it would make it easy for Chrysler to do a convertible as well, a better way to compete with Mustang and Chevy Camaro.

Read more: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger with a Barracuda! - Motor Trend Blog (http://blogs.motortrend.com/detroits-hottest-rumor-chrysler-to-replace-dodge-challenger-with-a-barracuda-20329.html#ixzz1ixjomAVs)

EDDIE T
01-09-2012, 04:26 AM
it is believable especially since the dart version is out.

Rudedog
01-09-2012, 04:27 AM
That would be interesting to say the least. Lets just hope they can pull off another awesome retro styled version as they did with our beloved Challenger. I would hate to see another 1980-ish Challenger design....

sublime 781
01-09-2012, 04:31 AM
and this is where the 426 will go
426/570 hp
3000 lb car
new king of the street

SlimCFFC
01-09-2012, 04:46 AM
It will be awesome. I will stay with my beloved Challenger, but maybe I could talk the wife into getting one for her. It will be a short conversation, she loves my car.

STRONGNUFF
01-09-2012, 05:15 AM
Looks like our challengers will go up in value.

sitedrifter
01-09-2012, 05:17 AM
Maybe Dodge can get it right this time. Truly separate the SRT bad azz from the RT and SE/SX versions. Why, because they all look the same now and have the same name (Challenger). Maybe the SRT model will be the CUDA and have distinct looks. I hope so.

hizootiemizark
01-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Looks like our challengers will go up in value.

^^^I agree. Hold on to your Challengers like we should have done with our baseball cards when we were little.

StealthChallenger
01-09-2012, 05:30 AM
I have renewed faith in Dodge. That 426 should go in there, and if this car is 300-500 pounds lighter than the current car, the mileage would probably be even better as well. I hope they offer a N/A V-8 for the car though instead of these turbo 6s and 4s that seem to be hitting the market in droves. I was thinking of trading my car for a used 2012 392 within the next two years, but it appears better to wait now. I don't think we will see this car until the auto show circuit in late 2013/early 2014 though or about 2 years from now, which would make it a 2015 model. This makes sense as this is when the Charger/300 are due for a redesign as well. I don't know about the cars having al different platforms though. It would make more sense from a cost perspective to still share the platform with the sedans but just make it smaller. BUT the Mustang has its own platform and is arguably better for it. Ralph Gilles said Chrysler is tired of finishing at the bottom. Time to collect.

RoostKing
01-09-2012, 06:03 AM
This is the line that scare me:"One source speculates that the new Barracuda would borrow a number of cues from the original, fastback Valiant model, all the way through the 1970-74 model,"

The Challenger takes it lines from the original, but this line seems to suggest that it could be an amalgomation of years, much like the Mustang is. If it doesnt stick with one of three "styles" from back then, its going to simply be a mish mash.. Time will tell.

rumpass
01-09-2012, 06:09 AM
The end of the big coupe is near...

......I figured they would go smaller and lighter to compete with the "other" 2 directly.....

....The Challenger was unique because it's large.....

.....Wont be a big coupe like it again...

OmahaRumble
01-09-2012, 06:16 AM
This is pretty big news. Like some of said, I won't part with my Challenger, but it will be interesting to see how it looks, and what sort of power they will put under the hood. :5:

dxm113
01-09-2012, 06:40 AM
This would be awesome. Dodge would probably get my money of there was a 426 Cuda

That being said, I'll believe it when I see it...

Cuda
01-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Make it a little smaller, drop 800 lb., ditch the rear seats so the trunk/hatch space can be bigger, keep the current engine options + SC option or go to 426. If it's a 4 banger turbo like the new Dart with no V-8 option it's going to bomb.

rumpass
01-09-2012, 06:58 AM
^^^^^I bet my bank account there will be a big Hemi 8 option.......prob N/A

ChallengerPhil
01-09-2012, 07:11 AM
This is the line that scare me:"One source speculates that the new Barracuda would borrow a number of cues from the original, fastback Valiant model, all the way through the 1970-74 model,"

The Challenger takes it lines from the original, but this line seems to suggest that it could be an amalgomation of years, much like the Mustang is. If it doesnt stick with one of three "styles" from back then, its going to simply be a mish mash.. Time will tell.

I completely agree with this. If it's going to go through some sort of retro styling it's going to be ugly as sin. Those styles are so alien to one another. Somehow, for most, the Mustang works. This however would fail in the design department.

Lets face it, anyone here and beyond who picked up an 08- say, 2013/14 Challenger has a real keeper. Something that will always be rather rare and will always make people look. Damn glad I made this choice over some hohum Chevy Impala or Camry.

I think their plan for a smaller, sporty car is only natural.

We just got ourselves a one of a kind that nothing else can imitate and nothing else will come close, unless Chevy decides to retro something like a 68-69 Chevelle or something.

I kind of like the idea of these cars going away from the assembly line.

ChallengerPhil
01-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Make it a little smaller, drop 800 lb., ditch the rear seats so the trunk/hatch space can be bigger, keep the current engine options + SC option or go to 426. If it's a 4 banger turbo like the new Dart with no V-8 option it's going to bomb.

I agree on the Trubo 4 option bombing, but I bet a powerful 6 will be in the middle where the R/T sits in the trim line. I'm skeptical of a big 8, but I haven't seen anything on any new smaller displacement V8 in the works.

Some Turbo'd or SC'd 6 might be the only hi end option :(

Rake
01-09-2012, 07:46 AM
and this is where the 426 will go

That's what my first thought was as well. "That's why we're not getting the 426, its being held back for this new car." :(

pdx.challenger
01-09-2012, 07:48 AM
That would be interesting to say the least. Lets just hope they can pull off another awesome retro styled version as they did with our beloved Challenger. I would hate to see another 1980-ish Challenger design....

I'm certain it won't be a retro vehicle, it'll be a new vehicle with retro styling cues... like the Charger. :icon_wink:

Maybe Dodge can get it right this time. Truly separate the SRT bad azz from the RT and SE/SX versions. Why, because they all look the same now and have the same name (Challenger). Maybe the SRT model will be the CUDA and have distinct looks. I hope so.

Sorry you have to walk amongst us. :pillepalle:

wings67
01-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Makes me wonder what they're gonna do with the last year 2013 challenger...go out with a whimper with little or no change, or go out with a bang ? (more power from new engine option that serves as a preview of what will be available in the Barracuda ?)

Actually, according to RS in another thread, the 8 speed is coming to the Challenger in MY2013, so there will be SOME significant changes to it in its possible last year.

rumpass
01-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Makes me wonder what they're gonna do with the last year 2013 challenger...go out with a whimper with little or no change, or go out with a bang ? (more power from new engine option that serves as a preview of what will be available in the Barracuda ?)

If this is true I dont think we will get much of a bang.....but who knows :)

lucentaz
01-09-2012, 08:09 AM

True. I just hope they keep to the original Barracuda more than the Dart keeps to the original Dart (which it doesn't at all :D))

Jorge83
01-09-2012, 08:16 AM

How dare you call that Ford Fiesta/VW Golf a Dodge Dart!!!

SRT8Tech
01-09-2012, 08:17 AM
I told you guys about the Barracuda over a month ago.........:) It will be based on the Alfa 8C. Its possible that the Challenger will still be made with a refresh or stopped being made.

Little clip of the 8C..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqzP_UFb6g

jonmandude
01-09-2012, 08:24 AM

The Mustang kept, pretty much, the same shape throughout the first 10 years, so an amalgamation worked there. The Barracuda is drastically different from 1964-69 and 1970-74. If they are talking about the early Valiant Barracuda's then it will probably be a complete departure from the Challenger, I hope not. I personally would like to a Barracuda come out that is slightly smaller and lighter than the Challenger, similar to how the Avenger is to Charger. But my fear is that if they go smaller the 426 will never end up in it. The only places I can see a 426 possibility is Charger or Viper

runner2go
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
So now 6" is considered "considerably longer"... lol (How about, it's 7" taller too)
And the 78 was Mitsubishi based, not the 74... someone needs to proof read a little better.

It seems from reading the above, that it is a pretty safe bet the new car will have more in common with the 78 Challenger than the 08. And hopefully they are not planning to take too many styling cues from the 64 Barracuda... one of the ugliest cars ever made.

I think those who are hoping for a retro looking 71 cuda, are going to be sorely disappointed when they get some Alfa looking coupe, similar to the new dart. Which in it self may not be a bad thing as far as small cars go... But they will open them selves up to years of bitching if they call the thing a Barracuda/Cuda. Similar to what happened when they called the 2005 4-door sedan a Charger, and the new Mitsubishi looking 4-banger a Dart. The new cars may be decent cars in the end... but they won't be what most folks on this forum are looking for. I doubt anyone will be trading in their Challenger for one.

$0.02

MoparOhio
01-09-2012, 09:05 AM
The reason the 8 Speed tranny is coming in 2013 is that the US based plant will be open and building them. The German ZF factory doesn't have any more capacity so that is why it is only in the V6 Charger/300 right now.

I would imagine they will have one or two special paint colors and maybe some badging difference for the final year of production.

The Challenger replacement, whatever they call it, will be smaller due to higher CAFE standards coming. Also, the LX platform is going away as the Charger/300 move to another platform in 2015 anyway.

I will wait and see what the final model year is and what the Challenger replacement car is before I decide to either buy a new last year Challenger RT or simply get it's replacement product.

B5 Blue Chally
01-09-2012, 09:08 AM
It will definately be interesting for sure. Would be tempting to have a 426 'Cuda as long as the styling cues were correct.

But then again, I don't think I could depart from my B5 R/T... like others have said, value will definately go up once our challengers are no longer produced.

Dr.Pat
01-09-2012, 09:30 AM

My thoughts exactly! If Dodge upgrades the 2013 Challenger interior to something similar to the new Charger then I will go ahead and buy a 2013 Challenger as planned...but if not I guess I'll be waiting another year to see what comes of this Cuda rumor.

StealthChallenger
01-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I am saying this right now. If Dodge does with the Barracuda what they did with the Dart, no thanks. If they make it slightly lower and smaller than the current car but keep its overall look the same, I'll buy one depending on the V-8 engine options. If the new car sucks to look at, that won't stop me from ordering a final year 2013/2014 Challenger 392 the way I want and keeping it until I die. Thus, Dodge will get at least one more sale out of me in the next five years no matter what they do. :)

Rake
01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
If they're not going to copy the original, then take the '99 Charger concept and put a Cuda badge on that.

pdx.challenger
01-09-2012, 09:53 AM
If they're not going to copy the original, then take the '99 Charger concept and put a Cuda badge on that.

That looks like a Dodge version of the '99 Chrysler 300M. :eek3:

WALLYVINEZ
01-09-2012, 10:14 AM
I am saying this right now. If Dodge does with the Barracuda what they did with the Dart, no thanks. If they make it slightly lower and smaller than the current car but keep its overall look the same, I'll buy one depending on the V-8 engine options. If the new car sucks to look at, that won't stop me from ordering a final year 2013/2014 Challenger 392 the way I want and keeping it until I die. Thus, Dodge will get at least one more sale out of me in the next five years no matter what they do. :)

Agree with STEALTH !!:icon_cheers:
If they keep the RETRO Styling/MOPAR Roots look, I'm in on some level of Barracuda/Cuda V-8 / 426 !!

If they GO EUROPEAN ! - forget it !! :headbang:

But , I'm keeping my Challenger R/T regardless !

ChallengerPhil
01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I told you guys about the Barracuda over a month ago.........:) It will be based on the Alfa 8C. Its possible that the Challenger will still be made with a refresh or stopped being made.

ALFA ROMEO 8C SOUND - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqzP_UFb6g)

NICE!!! I'd drive that :) That's some beautiful sound too.

ChallengerPhil
01-09-2012, 10:22 AM
That looks like a Dodge version of the '99 Chrysler 300M. :eek3:

That was a cool car as well. I think the Charger was originally speculated to have some 300Hp natural gas engine in it as well. Was cool stuff.

IDMTfirefighter
01-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Be interesting to see what happens. Doubt I'll do more than test drive a new Cuda as a truck is next in my list of purchases

TommyGNR
01-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Alot of us wanted to see a smaller/lighter (true pony car) that could compete directly against the Mustang and Camaro in terms of performace. So this is good. However it will be a total bust if it does not look cool (American - no euro trash styling) and have V8 engine options. Personally I think it would be nice if the offered 5.7, 392, and 426 engines as options.

Jorge83
01-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Same here.

I would probably get one of the last gen models only IF they upgraded the engine, did some INTERIOR upgrades too but if not, i'll just keep my 2012. :D

Christine lives
01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Regardless of what happens. I still LOVE my Challenger! I had one as a kid and have one now!

Go Challengers!
GO MOPAR!

Justinec101
01-09-2012, 11:52 AM
My opinion on a Challenger successor, whatever it may be called:

Go crazy. There's really no good way to update the current Challenger's looks. It's a minds eye recreation of the muscle cars of yesteryear. If you're going to make a new challenger/cuda, do something completely different.

Opinions will be polarized no matter what. Those who are happy with the retro styling of the current challenger, aren't going to be interested in any changes that could be made anyway. You really can't improve the looks of the current car, and you can't change them without pissing someone off.

Taking elements of the old cuda could work, but probably not in the same way as with the Challenger. Take their modern interpretation of the charger taillights for example. Taking cues like that but doing a completely new car that doesn't rely on the past is what needs to happen.

Let the Challenger exist as it is. A 5 year run of an awesome car.

I plan on keeping my Challenger forever, but eventually I intend to retire it as my daily driver and buy something smaller and more fuel efficient. A weight reduced, smaller sized muscle car with improved gas mileage could be my next car, versus the Ford Focus RS or Veloster Turbo I'm considering right now.

pdx.challenger
01-09-2012, 12:02 PM
My opinion on a Challenger successor, whatever it may be called:

Go crazy. There's really no good way to update the current Challenger's looks. It's a minds eye recreation of the muscle cars of yesteryear. If you're going to make a new challenger/cuda, do something completely different.

Opinions will be polarized no matter what. Those who are happy with the retro styling of the current challenger, aren't going to be interested in any changes that could be made anyway. You really can't improve the looks of the current car, and you can't change them without pissing someone off.

Taking elements of the old cuda could work, but probably not in the same way as with the Challenger. Take their modern interpretation of the charger taillights for example. Taking cues like that but doing a completely new car that doesn't rely on the past is what needs to happen.

Let the Challenger exist as it is. A 5 year run of an awesome car.

I plan on keeping my Challenger forever, but eventually I intend to retire it as my daily driver and buy something smaller and more fuel efficient. A weight reduced, smaller sized muscle car with improved gas mileage could be my next car, versus the Ford Focus RS or Veloster Turbo I'm considering right now.

I'm certain that what you describe is what it'll be... & the Veloster Turbo is a little beast! :roller:

robroy
01-09-2012, 03:37 PM
If the "Dart" is any indication of design, I'll pass. Love my Challenger because they got it right!

Cuda340
01-09-2012, 04:06 PM
A new 'Cuda would be very cool, but I hope that Dodge doesn't borrow anything from the pre-1970 Barracuda (Valiant) models. I always thought that they were nothing special.

Cuda340
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
I found some concept photos. Things could change, but it looks a lot like the new Camaro.

Muscle Car Specifications & Pics » Blog Archive » Hemi Cuda Concept (http://musclecarspecs.com/index.php/2008/02/06/hemi-cuda-concept/)

Yahooligan
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
It's too bad Chrysler killed off the Plymouth brand...

Next thing you know, we'll have Chevrolet GTOs, Ford Cougars, etc...

Maybe I'm too much of a "purist" (The thought of putting an SBC in a classic Ford bugs the heck out of me), but taking the name from another brand and using it just seems wrong...so, so wrong.

"I have a Dodge Barracuda." "Don't you mean 'Plymouth'?" "No sir, Dodge." "Er, ok..."

turner56
01-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Don’t hold your breath on any big changes in 2013. New colors, backup camera package, might have a red interior option, and a suspension option (no details). I'll be ordering my 2012 Challenger in a week or so.

Cuda has been under development for sometime, I thought everyone knew that?

TommyGNR
01-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I dont think that is a Chrysler design. Somebody put that up about a year ago as a "maybe it would look like this". Based on the ultra secrecy policy that Marchione has favored I doubt that we will get any real peeks until its ready to come out. At this point I would be happy with more leaked info about the platform that they plan to use. At least it seems like it will be a rear wheel drive platform.

Justinivor
01-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Well if the Charger/300 are moving to a new platform, that's it for the Challenger. The Barracuda, if the rumors are to believed, is planned for a much smaller engine. If they put a V8 in it, I'm not sure a 426 would fit, they would need a beefy tranny and rear end to manage it, for the same platform as the postulated turbo V4. I don't see any "SRT-8" version going with a completely different drive train; so perhaps a turbo V6 or a small block V8...?

MagicRat
01-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Don’t hold your breath on any big changes in 2013. New colors, backup camera package, might have a red interior option, and a suspension option (no details). I'll be ordering my 2012 Challenger in a week or so.

Radar red interior option is available this month.

noz34me
01-09-2012, 05:02 PM

Do you have problems getting through doors with that big head? You must be a real blast around the neighborhood and at parties. In fact I think I may have met some of your relatives from time to time.

You remind me of an old saying: "I'd like to buy you for what you're worth and sell you for what you think you're worth"

MoparOhio
01-09-2012, 05:12 PM
All day just letting the idea sink in.... I guess I will decide after I see what the new car looks like and make a decision to buy one of the last Challengers or keep mine a while longer and possibly get the new car later.

It just seems like with us folks that remember the 'Cuda it just doesn't seem right to put that with Dodge.... and how long can they use that name... will it end up being another 5 year run car?

WHo knows... I am sure they have a plan.

turner56
01-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Radar red interior option is available this month.

Do you know what are the new exterior colors? I didn't get the details on those from my friend.

rayzazoo
01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
The 8-speed would be a nice refresh along with the interior to justify an upgrade. So would an aluminum block; you know the one.

As for lighter, compete with Camaro, Mustang blah blah blah, they are pony cars. Challenger is a muscle car. You want to see how well Challenger competes, look how it did in Newfoundland and in Nevada compared to its camaro counterpart.

And while we are on the weight subject, the Camaro ZL-1 is 4120lbs according to Car and Driver. It has a drag coefficient of .37.

A 2012 6.4 is 4260lbs and has a drag coefficient of .35. You want to loose 200lbs, we drop a 426 aluminum block in. 300lbs (iron block weight), 100lbs (aluminum block weight).

The funny part is that right now people are still complaining because Mopar is putting a 590hp 426 7.0L V8 option in the Charger, even though we've been screaming on the forums to bring this option to the market. Did we even bother to think that it is one of the highest, naturally aspirated, engines out there. More than what a Corvette 7.0l puts out. More than what a Supercharged 6.2l puts out. Jesus.

Challenger too heavy is BS, and there are ways to make the current chassis lighter for racing, just like they are attempting to do with the ZL-1. You want heavy, go get a Jeep SRT8 and watch it beat the piss out of the Challenger at the 1/4mi track. Don't believe me, just ask Wade over at the Jeep forums and how he posted a 12.3 in a 6.1. BTW, that was a race tune, Vred tires, exhaust, and intake.

This can't compete argument always surfaces on the thread and it's frustrating to no end. This Dodge isn't listening crap, the whining about too heavy, etc comes from people that see nothing but numbers and don't appreciate nor drive the Challenger enough to realize what it is meant to be..... a "as close to original" retro Muscle Car.

Camaro and Mustang got caught up in the numbers that they forgot about heritage and what makes a muscle car great.

Whew, done venting. America!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Rake
01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
This is the car that everyone's hoping for, right? It's basically the current car with a different grille. Why can't they make both a medium and large muscle car at the same time (the Cuda and Challenger)? They can also claim the 4 door muscle car market with the Charger. Heck, throw in the 2 seat Viper as well, while you're at it. Having all of these cars going at the same time should make for some impressive commercials, which seems to be a strong point for this company.

JohnnyQuaaludes
01-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Does not surpise me that Fiat will use the name Cuda and I am sure they are looking at the Roadrunners and GTXs also for their future autos...(I like how they Recycle names}
Lets take alook at the Fiat Dart,Think that you have a pick of any of the 3 four cylinder engine cars(take yeaaaa pick}
Would have made sense to have started off with a Cuda instead of the challeneger if you wanted to screw up the name of the Cuda.
But I think you will see something buttttt nothing like you really want too see and the engine,ahhhhh I don't think sooooooo..Be happy if you see a slant 6 baby lol........................JQ

MagicRat
01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Do you know what are the new exterior colors? I didn't get the details on those from my friend.

Not yet!!!

jordanjacob
01-09-2012, 08:44 PM
"A 2014 Barracuda would be much shorter, lighter and smaller overall than the current car"

Longer, heavier and bigger would be fine with me with more horsepower. I personally don't like these 3 changes. I had a pretty hard hit when I wrecked my 2010 and walked away. I don't wish to have less weight.

RoostKing
01-09-2012, 09:07 PM
The 8-speed would be a nice refresh along with the interior to justify an upgrade. So would an aluminum block; you know the one.

As for lighter, compete with Camaro, Mustang blah blah blah, they are pony cars. Challenger is a muscle car. You want to see how well Challenger competes, look how it did in Newfoundland and in Nevada compared to its camaro counterpart.

And while we are on the weight subject, the Camaro ZL-1 is 4120lbs according to Car and Driver. It has a drag coefficient of .37.

A 2012 6.4 is 4260lbs and has a drag coefficient of .35. You want to loose 200lbs, we drop a 426 aluminum block in. 300lbs (iron block weight), 100lbs (aluminum block weight).

The funny part is that right now people are still complaining because Mopar is putting a 590hp 426 7.0L V8 option in the Charger, even though we've been screaming on the forums to bring this option to the market. Did we even bother to think that it is one of the highest, naturally aspirated, engines out there. More than what a Corvette 7.0l puts out. More than what a Supercharged 6.2l puts out. Jesus.

Challenger too heavy is BS, and there are ways to make the current chassis lighter for racing, just like they are attempting to do with the ZL-1. You want heavy, go get a Jeep SRT8 and watch it beat the piss out of the Challenger at the 1/4mi track. Don't believe me, just ask Wade over at the Jeep forums and how he posted a 12.3 in a 6.1. BTW, that was a race tune, Vred tires, exhaust, and intake.

This can't compete argument always surfaces on the thread and it's frustrating to no end. This Dodge isn't listening crap, the whining about too heavy, etc comes from people that see nothing but numbers and don't appreciate nor drive the Challenger enough to realize what it is meant to be..... a "as close to original" retro Muscle Car.

Camaro and Mustang got caught up in the numbers that they forgot about heritage and what makes a muscle car great.

Whew, done venting. America!

Great post and well said! Cant add much, but you just know that you cant please everyone, when a member confidently states "Maybe they will get it right next time"

They DID get it right, thats the point! Its an instant classic. The mustang, the camaro, probably wont see many of them around in 30 years, but I guarantee your going to see the Challenger at car shows etc etc.

R/TCLASSIC
01-09-2012, 09:12 PM
makes me wonder if the challenger will actually lose value,will the cuda be smaller,lighter and come with a 426 shaker hood and billboards? i better start saving my money now!

Fuschia
01-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Wow, thanks for posting this article. Thought a 'Cuda might make a return at some point, but too bad the Challenger's run might end as a result. In a perfect world, they'd make them both. Would the 'Cuda be from Dodge or the SRT division and what price range would it have?

RoostKing
01-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Sure wish Resume Speed would pop in here, but I dont see him around as much..

adritch
01-09-2012, 09:41 PM
'Cuda fans be careful what you wish for! Unfortunately, I'm sure we are much more likely to see a heavily Fiat influenced version of the 'Cuda. Similar to the new Dart. Not another retro muscle car.:(

Please do not kill the Challenger.

CCUChris
01-09-2012, 09:51 PM
What I dont understand is why (if sales are so good and demand is so great) why couldnt they bring back the Plymouth Brand and have Challenger and Barracuda be twins.. Thats retro.. twin models... compete against yourself

Fuschia
01-09-2012, 09:52 PM
'Cuda fans be careful what you wish for! Unfortunately, I'm sure we are much more likely to see a heavily Fiat influenced version of the 'Cuda. Similar to the new Dart. Not another retro muscle car.:(

Hope it'll be a muscle car, not some Fiat based concoction. Don't want to see the Chally go either, since it's only been 5 years. :(

pdx.challenger
01-09-2012, 10:12 PM
What I dont understand is why (if sales are so good and demand is so great) why couldnt they bring back the Plymouth Brand and have Challenger and Barracuda be twins.. Thats retro.. twin models... compete against yourself

Sergio Marchionne has already stated that duplicate models will no longer be produced. This is the reason that the Caravan (the most popular minivan in America) is being killed off, leaving the Chrysler Town & Country. Business wise, it's a smart decision.

jsd512
01-10-2012, 01:54 AM
A couple of insiders, over at allpar.com, said that the "Barracuda" was green lit last summer. They also mentioned that the, all new, car's name is not written in stone. They could call it the Challenger. My prediction remains the same, it will ride on the Charger/300 chassis (which got overhauled for 2011 model year), come with a 426 Hemi, 8SPD, and be named Challenger.

jsd512
01-10-2012, 01:56 AM
Sergio Marchionne has already stated that duplicate models will no longer be produced. This is the reason that the Caravan (the most popular minivan in America) is being killed off, leaving the Chrysler Town & Country. Business wise, it's a smart decision.

The Avenger is dead also.

jsd512
01-10-2012, 02:05 AM

The next all new RWD coupe IMO, will be called the Challenger and ride on the Charger/300 platform - a smaller Fiat platform would require a major manufacturing change to build it. I doubt Brampton could handle two completely different platforms - 1 Fiat and 1 Chrysler. Of course, I am not qualified at all to make any educated guesses. Just a hunch based on certain facts - Brampton is already building Chargers/300s and Plymouth is dead. We are not going to see a Dodge Barracuda, think about for one second guys, a Dodge Barracuda, not a smart move at all. Sounds pretty stupid to me. The name is beside the point anyways, we ARE getting a second generation Challenger for MY2014. Could they name it something else, sure, but not likely. If they actually decide to make a Dodge Barracuda, I will eat a cat turd!

backnblack
01-10-2012, 03:39 AM
The new Cuda should be built similar to the current Challenger with Cuda skin and a 426. If Dodge departs from this and decides to call some turbo four banger fiat a Cuda, then shame on them. Surely they know that their customer base wants the car to be reminiscent of the 70-74 model don't they? 67 baracuda styling ques? WTH? Surely....SURELY they know better.

StealthChallenger
01-10-2012, 04:21 AM
The car SHOULD share the platform with the next generation Charger/300. It only makes sense. That platform is supposed to be smaller than the current one. BUT it cannot be THAT much smaller given the customer base who buys a Charger/300 wants a roomy comfy rear wheel drive sedan. This car may very well be a winner as long as they keep the styling similar to what it is now 1970-1974 proportions. IMO if they got rid of the high door height (made car a little less tall), redid the interior, offered a 426, 8 speed auto, and perhaps a Cuda appearance package but still called it the Challenger, I'll order one. If the new car sucks to look at at, I'll order the last year Challenger. I always said if they killed the car off, I'd have to upgrade to a 392. Now I have an excuse for the wife!

MoparOhio
01-10-2012, 04:26 AM
The next get Charger/300 moves to a different platform in 2015 so the Challenger will have to move as well since they will retire the LX platform. I am guessing that they want a smaller car due to CAFE standards and if it DOES move to a different platform it will probably be built in the same plant as whatever products come off of that platform. It doesn't have to continue to be built in Brampton. Also, with all of the 'it's too heavy' complaints and add to that if it is sized smaller they can get better MPG and truely compete with the Mustang and Camaro. Remember, the next gen Camaro will shrink in size as well....

TaylorSF
01-10-2012, 04:43 AM
Well,
I think Dodge knows where the money is, a 71ish style looking Cuda.
Smaller and lighter than the current Challenger.
With plenty of power.
Keep in mind, Dodge is the only one to offer a 300ish HP V6, an over 400HP top of the line V8, AND a mid-option V8. In the most retro styled package.

Ford has made the retro look work in their Mustang as well, and they have sold like crazy.

At worst, Dodge will make a Cuda as little like a Cuda as the dart. At best we will get a retro styled 3500 lb car with lots of power. While most of us hate the Charger for stealing the name and being a sedan, it is a great car. I wish they had called it a Coronet or something instead.

I truly hope they do not waste the name.

As for the guy that does not find the SRT "exclusive" enough. Get over yourself.
Go drop coin on a Viper or some 100K +car.

I prefer being able to fill the garage and driveway with new SS, GT, and RT and have it all vs. making anyone too much. Shelbys, ZL1s, - and even a super SRT- are all going to have looks similar to the base model.

You don't get to have exclusive in a model line of cars at those prices points. Look at the top of the line Corvette- it looks like the entry model... wait for it.....Corvette.

pdx.challenger
01-10-2012, 07:19 AM
As for the guy that does not find the SRT "exclusive" enough. Get over yourself.
Go drop coin on a Viper or some 100K +car.

I prefer being able to fill the garage and driveway with new SS, GT, and RT and have it all vs. making anyone too much. Shelbys, ZL1s, - and even a super SRT- are all going to have looks similar to the base model.

You don't get to have exclusive in a model line of cars at those prices points. Look at the top of the line Corvette- it looks like the entry model... wait for it.....Corvette.

Yeah, I guess he doesn't realize that at last count there are 34,939 other SRT's on the road. I would advise him to get a Bugatti Veyron to lower that number to 300. :pillepalle:

Terrapin
01-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Ha if all this pans out you will likely see Sublime, Hemi Orange and maybe even PCP for 2013. I mean why wouldn't they? What is going to get people to buy a 2013 that already don't love/have a Challenger? Especially if there is a lighter faster car in the works.

pdx.challenger
01-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Ha if all this pans out you will likely see Sublime, Hemi Orange and maybe even PCP for 2013. I mean why wouldn't they? What is going to get people to buy a 2013 that already don't love/have a Challenger? Especially if there is a lighter faster car in the works.

If PCP is offered again, I'm in for an R/T with Autostick & the STP... finances be damned! :banana:

cppower
01-10-2012, 08:09 AM
I do believe the car will be close in size to the Genesis coupe. With Fiat slowly taking over you might see a heavier influence of American/Italian design so that both bodies can be used here and abroad. Hopefully it will be a downright mean ride but the big cars are slowly disappearing. I do hope for the best for Dodge and that it is remembering us older guys who remember the muscled eights and not just the next generation with four bangers and SC six cylinders. I want a car with meat not a noodle.

19johned53
01-10-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't care what they end up doing.

I love the Challenger that I have, plan on keeping it, and whatever happens, happens.

Brock Samson
01-10-2012, 08:35 AM
I don't care what they end up doing.

I love the Challenger that I have, plan on keeping it, and whatever happens, happens.

I'm in the same boat as you. Not making anymore Challengers may increase the value (I have an M10, who knows what that'll do), but any increase in value is icing on the cake to what has so far been a great experience!

Still getting used to being a rock star on the road with my Challenger. :banana:

StealthChallenger
01-10-2012, 11:36 AM
It won't increase the value of our cars until years and years down the road when they are considered classics. It may stop the rate of depreciation much like the resale on 1994-1996 Impala SS, the 2003-04 Mercury Marauder, the 2004-2006 GTOs, 2008-2009 G8 GTs, etc. Those cars seem to be holding their own in the used market.

bigmack339
01-10-2012, 11:42 AM
New King of the Street= 2013 Viper.

19johned53
01-10-2012, 11:52 AM
And............. I really don't care that much about the resale values either, but if they held up, that would be OK.

My son is 22, and when I "crap out", he's getting the "hot rod". I bought the Challenger because the "DY" hit me between the eyes, and it's the best looking retro-muscle car out there.

IMO, it's going to be VERY hard for a design team to do what was done on the Challenger again. I wish them well, but they have one tough act to follow.

It's a "winner" from every viewing angle, and the fun begins when the start button is pushed.

Maybe I'm just getting older and grumpier, but "what's next" doesn't matter to me. It's all about what's now, and what I own and enjoy.

Johnman
01-10-2012, 11:56 AM

I like the way you're thinking....want a sublime!

Justinec101
01-10-2012, 12:23 PM
The reality is that even though the Challenger has done alright sales wise, it is a distant 3rd to its competition, the mustang and camaro. And yes, they are its competition whether or not you want to call it a pony car or a muscle car.

The challenger only exists because as Charger and 300c sales dwindled and the Magnum ended production, they had room to produce the Challenger at Brampton.

Chrysler is making a comeback, the Magnum is returning, the revised Charger and 300 are in their early years, and Fiat is planning to build a large Alfa at brampton as well. It's not logical to build a large muscle car when it won't sell as well as the alternatives, and when it's in its 5th model year, with limited options for updating.

It makes more sense to shrink it down, and make it a more direct competitor to the Mustang and Camaro, to try to grab some of their MASSIVE sales. Dodge's current comeback situation makes it the prime time for them to do that.

pdx.challenger
01-10-2012, 12:36 PM
It won't increase the value of our cars until years and years down the road when they are considered classics. It may stop the rate of depreciation much like the resale on 1994-1996 Impala SS, the 2003-04 Mercury Marauder, the 2004-2006 GTOs, 2008-2009 G8 GTs, etc. Those cars seem to be holding their own in the used market.

Don't remind me of the G8. :disappointed: Right when GM had gotten it right, they axe Pontiac. The morons at the top should've killed off the Chevy truck line (kept the GMC's), other duplicate models, low volume sellers & continued developing Pontiac as a performance brand. :disgust:

pdx.challenger
01-10-2012, 12:41 PM
My son is 22, and when I "crap out", he's getting the "hot rod". I bought the Challenger because the "DY" hit me between the eyes, and it's the best looking retro-muscle car out there.

Maybe I'm just getting older and grumpier, but "what's next" doesn't matter to me. It's all about what's now, and what I own and enjoy.

Don't tell your son, especially if you're getting older & grumpier, or he might help you along. :ninja:

huggytree
01-10-2012, 12:47 PM

i for one am glad they are stopping making the Challenger....it keeps the rare factory forever......and it starts the clock for when the value's will level off and then in 10-15 years rise again...

on Meecum i saw a 1991 Syclone truck sell for $19k this past weekend....thats probably where they sold as new back in 1991....id be thrilled to get $40k for my Challenger in 20 years.........ill be thrilled to get $20k actually

pdx.challenger
01-10-2012, 12:48 PM
New King of the Street= 2013 Viper.

I don't know, the C7 Vette will be released at the same time. It'll surely be interesting to see what happens. Stingray vs Viper. :fight:

Corvette C7 Stingray SUPERCAR! 2012 - YouTube

elie
01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Why don't they introduce the Barracuda along with the Challenger????
Why they may stop one to launch the other????
We all like the Cuda but we are also in love with the Challenger!

Roomraider
01-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Local 4 News investigative reporter Rod Meloni in Detroit just reported his findings from the US Patent Office: Back in the Fall, Dodge filed a petition/request for the trademark names "Barracuda" & " Cuda' ". The latter " Cuda' " was not granted, someone else holds the trademark name already.

Rods investigation goes on further by quoting a very credible corporate source stating: The Challenger name will be no more as of 2013. Dodge has painted themselves into a corner by producing a car that was too retro. The Challenger needs to be refreshed, but there's only so much you can do without killing the fan base, therefore the Barracuda will replace the Challenger as a 2013 model to be revealed @ the 2013 North American International Auto Show.

Ralph Gilles was interviewed by Rod Meloni today. When presented with his investigative findings, Mr. Gilles gulped, turned pale with a lost look & simply stated: So how's the weather?
Take a look for yourself, here's the video & write up.

Dodge to bring back Plymouth's Barracuda name? | Detroit Auto Show - Home (http://www.clickondetroit.com/money/automotive/auto-show/Dodge-to-bring-back-Plymouth-s-Barracuda-name/-/5515062/7703420/-/v2lh4m/-/index.html)

robroy
01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
A new 'Cuda would be very cool, but I hope that Dodge doesn't borrow anything from the pre-1970 Barracuda (Valiant) models. I always thought that they were nothing special.

I'm a notchback fan myself. With a big-ass block underneath!

MoparOhio
01-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Local 4 News investigative reporter Rod Meloni in Detroit just reported his findings from the US Patent Office: Back in the Fall, Dodge filed a petition/request for the trademark names "Barracuda" & " Cuda' ". The latter " Cuda' " was not granted, someone else holds the trademark name already.

Rods investigation goes on further by quoting a very credible corporate source stating: The Challenger name will be no more as of 2013. Dodge has painted themselves into a corner by producing a car that was too retro. The Challenger needs to be refreshed, but there's only so much you can do without killing the fan base, therefore the Barracuda will replace the Challenger as a 2013 model to be revealed @ the 2013 North American International Auto Show.

Ralph Gilles was interviewed by Rod Meloni today. When presented with his investigative findings, Mr. Gilles gulped, turned pale with a lost look & simply stated: So how's the weather?

Dodge to bring back Plymouth's Barracuda name? | Detroit Auto Show - Home (http://www.clickondetroit.com/money/automotive/auto-show/Dodge-to-bring-back-Plymouth-s-Barracuda-name/-/5515062/7703420/-/v2lh4m/-/index.html)

Great video find... Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pdx.challenger
01-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Great video find... Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the most telling sign of how soon the Challenger's demise will arrive, is the fact that there isn't one on the floor of Detroit's 2012 North American International Auto Show. :huh:

P.S. On a side note, SRT has its own brand exhibition at the show.

Yahooligan
01-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I think the most telling sign of how soon the Challenger's demise will arrive, is the fact that there isn't one on the floor of Detroit's 2012 North American International Auto Show. :huh:

P.S. On a side note, SRT has its own brand exhibition at the show.

Errr, why would anyone showcase a car that hasn't been updated? NAIAS is to show off the new stuff, not what's unchanged...

I wouldn't trust your analysis on this one. :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

pdx.challenger
01-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Errr, why would anyone showcase a car that hasn't been updated? NAIAS is to show off the new stuff, not what's unchanged...

I wouldn't trust your analysis on this one. :)

Admittedly, I haven't been to the NAIAS. I've been to the L.A. Auto Show, at which a brand's most popular models are also showcased. Having said that, I would've expected them to showcase the new Yellow Jacket. :thinkerg:

rumpass
01-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Thanks for that Raider......

devnulll
01-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Damn, we will be lucky if they even release a V8 version of the Cuda. It could only be turbo-ed V6.

And... the Challenger is officially dead now, unless they can't secure the name Cuda and call it Challenger.

crow
01-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Well, if they are calling this the new muscle cars for Chevy, I can only assume a Cuda would be very similar, not some full size Challenger.

Chevy Code 130R Concept Brings Muscle Cars to the Modern Era: 2012 Detroit Auto Show | AutoGuide.com News (http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/01/chevy-code-130r-concept-brings-muscle-cars-to-the-modern-era-2012-detroit-auto-show.html)

rayzazoo
01-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Well, since the chassis for the 300 and Charger isn't changing anytime soon, I could see them doing some exterior/interior refreshing to the Challenger, dropping in the new ZF transmission, putting in the aluminum block for less weight (so an estimate, going from 4260lbs to approximately 4060lbs), and then calling it a 'Cuda'. Then they don't have to worry about one upping the outgoing 392 Challenger and instead you'll have a 426 Barracuda and a refreshed market for the vehicle for the next 5 years. I doubt they'll change up the chassis too much as it'll be built at the same plant (and probably the same chassis) that they are building the Charger and 300.

Historically, the Cuda came out in 1964. So, MY 2014 seems perfect as now we are talking the 50th Anniversary of the Barracuda. Hmm, how ironic that the 426 block became famous in 1964 as well. 392 Challenger owners don't get trumped by a larger engined Challenger.. that's not to say that something is in store through the SRT department for them... can you say Challenger ACR.

Heck, you can get an aftermarket hood for it already.

So for me summing up,

- A revised Cuda Hood, front grille, body line straight back to the rear with curving of the upper portion of the rear quarter panel, reducing the trunk space a few more inches
- The ZF transmission (here's for the fuel economy conscious; produced for the 300S MY 2012)
- 426 Aluminum Block rated between 540-590 hp (it'll help with weight reduction; 540 is street legal, 590 is seeking it)
- Interior refresh, same simplicity, just revise the gauge cluster so you can see it through the 2012 steering wheel, drop in the new 8" touch screen like the Charger.

A hood like this
http://www.octanemotorsports.com/images/TF20320-A60.jpg

The front end grille like this (they'll probably modify the whole front end to give it a unique look, headlights too)
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz126/rivky770/Dodge%20Challenger/ChalleGrille.jpg

The cuda name like this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zVk5S79o4T4/TlgeL-jFdvI/AAAAAAAACE4/tc2rPhrehp8/s400/2009+426+Hemi+Cuda+Convertible+Mr+Norm+-+Taillight+View.jpg

Vents like this

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2889/cid00db01c874395a24acd0jf5.jpg

Or this, or probably not at all

Rear Panel modified like the original

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1843/rearqn.jpg

BTW, Mr. Norms has a kit for that (http://www.mrnormsgarage.com/gallery/mr.-norm-s-hemi-cuda-coupe.html)

http://www.mrnormsgarage.com/assets/galleries/64/mr_-norm_s-hemi-cuda-coupe-left-rear-1.jpg

And Lipstick... I mean Redline Red like this

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/49297049.jpg

And we might just have something worthwhile.

I would definitely buy a Redline 3-coat 50th Anniversary edition 426 Barracuda SRT8.

I would say the Chevy Code concepts are in response to the Dodge Darts, Honda Civics, etc that will have very similar engine sizes for comparison.

Continuing with the weight argument, that's the reason for the MY 2013 Viper SRT10

Yahooligan
01-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Admittedly, I haven't been to the NAIAS. I've been to the L.A. Auto Show, at which a brand's most popular models are also showcased. Having said that, I would've expected them to showcase the new Yellow Jacket. :thinkerg:

Maybe...

We'll see what the Chicago Auto Show brings next month. I just wouldn't use the NAIAS as a barometer. It's a great show, but I wouldn't consider it to be the de facto standard of car shows. A number of manufacturers have been absent in recent years for various reasons, that certainly didn't mean they stopped making cars. :D

Will the Challenger be replaced? Time will tell, it would certainly be unfortunate but Chrysler has to do what makes sense. If the Challenger platform is going away then it only makes sense to come out with something else instead of trying to re-re-invent the Challenger all over again.

I'm just not big into rumors and speculation. It wasn't all that long ago that people were CERTAIN that the Dodge Ram was going to use MB diesels in place of the Cummins. Never happened.

Then there was the nearly-happened Nissan-Titan-is-rebadged-Dodge-Ram

etc...

Time will tell. :)

MoPower MoFun
01-11-2012, 12:41 AM

ALFA ROMEO 8C SOUND - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqzP_UFb6g)

I'm suprised that they never did anything with the Crossfire platform... that is a SLK merc and Euro tuners stuff V8's in those all the time... I wish tehy would have made a AMC AMX with that thing:banana: sorry I'm a AMC fan but can you blame me I live in Wisconsin:bigthumb:

MoPower MoFun
01-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Thanks for that Raider......
+2 I would add one to the collection pending performance!! I guess itwill be a Chrysler like the Prowler or a model for the new SRT brand

jordanjacob
01-11-2012, 01:39 AM
I wouldn't mind power with excess of 500 horsepower, but I walked away from a really hard hit which totaled my 2010 Challenger SRT8. Anything lighter, smaller and shorter doesn't work for me. Performance is one thing and while we mostly all like power, in case of an accident we all wish to walk away and be able to purchase another one and continue to post our thoughts here. Possible bad accidents in a lighters car doesn't really entice me. I saw plenty of other sports cars in showrooms where I wrapped on the fenders and doors and heard lots of hollow and fiberglass sounds. One thing I love about my Challenger is I feel it's much safer than many other sports performance vehicles. Driver safely - JJ.

StealthChallenger
01-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Sounds like we won't see the design for this car until next year sometime, which would make it a 2014 model. Although he mentioned the announcement would happen next year maybe not necessarily the actual car being at the auto show? Thus, is 2013/2014 the last year for the Challenger? I agree it is not a good sign that the Challenger is no longer on the floor. It seems like they are trying to quietly fade it away.

deranged
01-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Well, sounds like a bunch of you might get your wish.

Maybe this will stop the, "I'm gonna make my CHALLENGER look like a 'Cuda phenomenon."

I'll keep my Challenger thank you.

rayzazoo
01-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Well, sounds like a bunch of you might get your wish.

Maybe this will stop the, "I'm gonna make my CHALLENGER look like a 'Cuda phenomenon."

I'll keep my Challenger thank you.

I too agree with the comments of too small and safety concerns. I too really like what I have and the Cuda might just be my Challengers partner in crime instead of an upgrade.

I'd really like to see the benefits of what the 8-speed does for the 2012 5.7l 300 that they just confirmed for the Summer. We know it can handle more torque than the NAG1 but we'll see how the driveability differs/improves etc.

Tuning has been confirmed by Chrysler, or at least that they are working with the aftermarket so that's good news.

In Challenger or Cuda form, an aluminum block 426 would be marketable, weight conscious, powerful, and economically sound.

If they can get 15city/25highway in 427 cu/in 11.0:1 compression auto 6-speed with a higher final drive ratio (3.42) and gear ratio of (0.667) then the new ZF with a gear ratio of (0.667) and a final drive (2.81) should easily see very similar fuel economy numbers. Not bad being at 1500-1600 rpms at 75mph.

SRT8Tech
01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm suprised that they never did anything with the Crossfire platform... that is a SLK merc and Euro tuners stuff V8's in those all the time... I wish tehy would have made a AMC AMX with that thing:banana: sorry I'm a AMC fan but can you blame me I live in Wisconsin:bigthumb:

If you have ever worked on one, you would not be saying this. LOL :bangin:

19johned53
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
We already know this, but history will show that the Challenger was the "best" concept to production car ever built.

Footnote: The MB era Challenger :)

ChallyRafter
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Now THAT is fuuuuugly.

thebigandy
01-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I actually hope that they keep the Challenger and also sell the Cuda.

2LZ
01-11-2012, 12:58 PM
It's too bad Chrysler killed off the Plymouth brand...

Next thing you know, we'll have Chevrolet GTOs, Ford Cougars, etc...

Maybe I'm too much of a "purist" (The thought of putting an SBC in a classic Ford bugs the heck out of me), but taking the name from another brand and using it just seems wrong...so, so wrong.

"I have a Dodge Barracuda." "Don't you mean 'Plymouth'?" "No sir, Dodge." "Er, ok..."
I'm with you in this sentiment. Plymouth is gone. If they want to bring back something that's not based on the Challenger and is a completly new idea, being back the Demon badge, would be my guess.

astro
01-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm looking to replace my 2000 Intrepid some time in 2013 or even 2014 and would rather it be a Challenger. If they discontinue it prior to me being ready to buy I'd first look at a low mileage used Challenger since I really don't want a smaller car.

Mark

Brock Samson
01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Can't believe I just read an article that basically stated Dodge did too good a job reaching their goal of going retro with these cars. :rofl:

19johned53
01-11-2012, 01:41 PM
The Challenger is a modern "classic" already. It will be one hard task to "outdo" this car.

I'm just glad that Chrysler isn't just changing the front and back bumpers, and calling that an "update" or a "Cuda".

Let this babe "rest in peace", and we all can proudly drive one of the greatest.

sitedrifter
01-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Currently Chrysler owns the trademark.

Word Mark CUDA Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Motor vehicles, namely, passenger automobiles, their structural parts, trim and badges Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 85198502
Filing Date December 15, 2010
Current Filing Basis 1B Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Chrysler Group LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE CIMS 485-13-32 1000 Chrysler Drive Auburn Hills MICHIGAN 48326
Attorney of Record Geoffrey D. Aurini
Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

elie
01-11-2012, 02:43 PM

Word Mark CUDA Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Motor vehicles, namely, passenger automobiles, their structural parts, trim and badges Standard Characters Claimed
Serial Number 85198502
Owner (APPLICANT) Chrysler Group LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE CIMS 485-13-32 1000 Chrysler Drive Auburn Hills MICHIGAN 48326
so they can use CUDA name

Litos
01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
did that one guy sell the Cuda brand name to Chrysler !?!?

elie
01-11-2012, 02:54 PM
I like your updated pictures in your signature my friend :)

pdx.challenger
01-11-2012, 03:02 PM

Serial Number 85198502

Nope, that's the record of their application. Here's the registrant...

Word Mark AAR CUDA Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: race cars and automobiles. FIRST USE: 19700000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19700000IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely, t-shirts and caps. FIRST USE: 20080522. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20080522
IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: model cars. FIRST USE: 19950000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950000
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK Trademark Search Facility Classification Code LETS-2 AAR Two letters or combinations of multiples of two letters Serial Number 77256446 Filing Date August 15, 2007 Current Filing Basis 1A Original Filing Basis 1A;1B Published for Opposition January 22, 2008 Change In Registration CHANGE IN REGISTRATION HAS OCCURRED Registration Number 3577217 Registration Date February 17, 2009 Owner (REGISTRANT) All American Racers, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 2334 South Broadway Santa Ana CALIFORNIA 92707 Attorney of Record Richard E. Lyon, Jr. Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "CUDA" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL-2(F) Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Because the "Cuda" portion of the registered trademark is already used in relation to a vehicle, Chrysler's application was denied.

sitedrifter
01-11-2012, 03:17 PM

I can't believe Chrysler would let that name expire over the years. They are very protective of their stuff. In fact, they have tried to shutdown a forum I knew because the site had adult language allowed and the sites name had Jeep in it.

Roomraider
01-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Sounds like we won't see the design for this car until next year sometime, which would make it a 2014 model. Although he mentioned the announcement would happen next year maybe not necessarily the actual car being at the auto show? Thus, is 2013/2014 the last year for the Challenger? I agree it is not a good sign that the Challenger is no longer on the floor. It seems like they are trying to quietly fade it away.

Yellow Jacket is @ the North American International Auto Show, it's just not on the floor for kids to destroy, like they did with a white/blue IE last year. It's on a rotating display, safe & sound, so is the Super Bee. The Mopar Charger is on the floor, but it's roped off as well. Somebody @ Dodge woke up.

pdx.challenger
01-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Yellow Jacket is @ the North American International Auto Show, it's just not on the floor for kids to destroy, like they did with a white/blue IE last year. It's on a rotating display, safe & sound, so is the Super Bee. The Mopar Charger is on the floor, but it's roped off as well. Somebody @ Dodge woke up.

Then the idiot reporter that's at the show & stated it's absent, either didn't get his facts straight or thinks it's a Camaro. :disgust:

supercharged8
01-11-2012, 04:27 PM
I've waited this long,,a 426 hemi for 2014-15 maybe,in a light cuda,,fine or like someone said,,the last challenger in 426 hemi form,thats better yet,saving my cash.

SRT8Tech
01-11-2012, 04:44 PM
All I know is im waiting to see what happens before I trade up again.

Litos
01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Nope, that's the record of their application. Here's the registrant...

Word Mark AAR CUDA Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: race cars and automobiles. FIRST USE: 19700000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19700000IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely, t-shirts and caps. FIRST USE: 20080522. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20080522
IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: model cars. FIRST USE: 19950000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950000
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK Trademark Search Facility Classification Code LETS-2 AAR Two letters or combinations of multiples of two letters Serial Number 77256446 Filing Date August 15, 2007 Current Filing Basis 1A Original Filing Basis 1A;1B Published for Opposition January 22, 2008 Change In Registration CHANGE IN REGISTRATION HAS OCCURRED Registration Number 3577217 Registration Date February 17, 2009 Owner (REGISTRANT) All American Racers, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 2334 South Broadway Santa Ana CALIFORNIA 92707 Attorney of Record Richard E. Lyon, Jr. Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "CUDA" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL-2(F) Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Because the "Cuda" portion of the registered trademark is already used in relation to a vehicle, Chrysler's application was denied.
and this is why we will probably never see a Cuda or Barracuda.......

devnulll
01-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Note however that the trade mark states "NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "CUDA" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN Type of Mark TRADEMARK".

I am not a lawyer, but it sounds like Chrysler CAN use 'Cuda, just not exclusively. AAR Cuda can sell T-shirts with Cuda on them - which may hurt Chrysler apparel sales :)

'09inferno
01-11-2012, 06:43 PM
For me, no V8= No sale. Hope they use some sort of V8, be it small or large. It really doesn't matter to me if the use a turbo4 or 6 with more power. the soul is lost the second they do it.

pdx.challenger
01-11-2012, 06:44 PM
and this is why we will probably never see a Cuda or Barracuda.......

When dealing with legalities, issues must be analyzed in a literal sense: 'Cuda is not Barracuda.

jonmandude
01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Chrysler applied for the rights for both "Cuda" and "Barracuda" last year. They were denied the rights to use "Cuda" but were granted the rights to "Barracuda"

Cuda Cliff
01-11-2012, 07:36 PM
OK..... So should I buy a Brand New Challenger This weekend? Or wait (2 years) for the "Barra'Cuda" ??? :orangehat:

regards

70barcuda
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
OK..... So should I buy a Brand New Challenger This weekend? Or wait (2 years) for the "Barra'Cuda" ??? :orangehat:

regards

It's probably better to enjoy what is available today than wait for something that might be tomorrow.

pdx.challenger
01-11-2012, 08:20 PM
It's probably better to enjoy what is available today than wait for something that might be tomorrow.

Spoken wisely. :hat:

runner2go
01-11-2012, 09:19 PM

Smart according to him...
My Pop has bought mini-vans since 1985.
In the 90's he bought a. T&C and liked it. However since then he went back to dodge because he hasn't liked any of the T&C since. He said if they kill the dodge he will just switch over to one of the imports. He's not buying another town & country as he considers them over priced and ugly now.

I know he is not alone in that thinking.

AZ MSCL
01-11-2012, 10:12 PM
If this car is made (with a V8, 426 or the likes) I'm afraid my RT will be traded/sold for a Cuda. Also assuming it's not priced at $60,000+. I'd rather have a 73 style grill on it though. I would like to see some different angles (like the side view) but from the few pics I've seen, it is magnificent.

More pics from SEMA: Dodge Challenger (http://www.motorauthority.com/pictures/1026018_dodge-challenger-barracuda-concept-turns-up-at-sema_gallery-1#100217805)

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/rham48/ConceptCuda.jpg

rumpass
01-11-2012, 10:29 PM
More pics from SEMA: Dodge Challenger (http://www.motorauthority.com/pictures/1026018_dodge-challenger-barracuda-concept-turns-up-at-sema_gallery-1#100217805)

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/rham48/ConceptCuda.jpg

Very nice.................but I dont think thats where they are going with it........

Roomraider
01-11-2012, 10:35 PM

Well put, Bravo

MoparOhio
01-12-2012, 04:04 AM
Very nice.................but I dont think thats where they are going with it........

Most likely it will come from a smaller platform from Fiat about the size of the Mustang and Camaro.

Who knows if it will look like a Barracuda/Cuda... the Dart doesn't look anything like the original Dart....

just sayin......

USponycar
01-12-2012, 04:31 AM
If everyone sits on the fence waiting to see what's coming, it could cause the demise of the Challenger to kick in sooner due to low sales. I can't blame everyone for holding out though. I'll be in the same boat wondering what engine/transmissions/body size are to come before doing anything.

sitedrifter
01-12-2012, 05:09 AM
When dealing with legalities, issues must be analyzed in a literal sense: 'Cuda is not Barracuda.

Right and "AAR Cuda" is not "Cuda"

If Chrysler can use Cuda, that is perfectly fine with me. Why would we expect an AAR Cuda when there was no T/A Challenger. LOL

No matter, if this car turns out to be euro inspired Cuda will mean nothing

SRT_Blubyu
01-12-2012, 05:12 AM
I'm betting its going to be an SRT Cuda... then no issue with Plymouth not being around

huggytree
01-12-2012, 05:31 AM

regards

buy today....you wait forever for the next/new thing....it will always be there...if your happy with the Challenger id get one...odds are the power train will be the same through 2013, so you'll have the fastest challenger if your getting a 392

pdx.challenger
01-12-2012, 06:13 AM

Exactly, that was over 4 years ago.

Most likely it will come from a smaller platform from Fiat about the size of the Mustang and Camaro.

Who knows if it will look like a Barracuda/Cuda... the Dart doesn't look anything like the original Dart....

just sayin......

It'll have to, especially since it's been announced that the next generation Mustang & Camaro will be on smaller platforms than their current versions.

...& the Charger doesn't look anything like the original Charger.

Right and "AAR Cuda" is not "Cuda"

Which is the argument that Chrysler tried to make, but the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office determined that the similarity in use, would be an infringement of the trademark.

SC05
01-12-2012, 10:33 PM
No matter, if this car turns out to be euro inspired Cuda will mean nothing

You don't think the original barracuda had any Euro/Italian influence?

http://autocarpictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/1957-Ferrari-250-GT-Berlinetta-Low-Roof.jpg

http://ferraris-online.com/cars/FE-250GT-0673/images/P000Fade.jpg

http://media.motortopia.com/files/16093/vehicle/49caa6ef7196a/016.jpg

pdx.challenger
01-13-2012, 08:39 AM
You don't think the original barracuda had any Euro/Italian influence?

http://ferraris-online.com/cars/FE-250GT-0673/images/P000Fade.jpg

http://media.motortopia.com/files/16093/vehicle/49caa6ef7196a/016.jpg

Maybe just a tad. :spineyes:

MoparOhio
01-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Maybe just a tad. :spineyes:

My parents had a '65 brown Barracuda... the car I came home from the hospital in.

jordanjacob
01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I prefer the Challenger

SC05
01-13-2012, 12:02 PM
My parents had a '65 brown Barracuda... the car I came home from the hospital in.

your parents had good taste.

TommyGNR
01-13-2012, 12:06 PM
The early euro influenced Barracudas where actually the biggest sellers. I think the car actually appealed to a niche market that the Mustang didn't appeal to.

Buckeye_Nut
01-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I look forward to seeing it.........

I hope it's bigger than the red car above because I don't want a little car. That's why I like the Challenger!!!!!!

Big car....the way MOPAR muscle is meant to be. IMO.....

PS...FWIW...I came home from the hospital after birth in a 66 Fury...aka Barracuda!!. HEH

pdx.challenger
01-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I had to walk home from the hospital... 20 miles... in the snow... then back because I forgot my birth certificate. :disgust:

mgnorth
01-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Was it up hill both ways :)

pdx.challenger
01-13-2012, 02:27 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

elie
01-13-2012, 04:20 PM
I came from the hospital in 1975 by a 1975 BMW 2002tii that my father had at that time :)

Buckeye_Nut
01-13-2012, 04:23 PM
All I have to say is it better be BADDAZZ.....and not like the new Dart:slant:

SC05
01-13-2012, 07:21 PM
The early euro influenced Barracudas where actually the biggest sellers. I think the car actually appealed to a niche market that the Mustang didn't appeal to.

The barracuda was also the first of the "pony cars". Beat the mustang to market by two weeks

Fuschia
01-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Could it look something like this, just lighter and smaller? Hope it maintains the grille somehow and has an interesting paint finish. The Challenger was done real good, but saw what happened to the Dart, so...:huh:

Plymouth Barracuda Is Back (http://www.pistonheads.com/ginetta/default.asp?storyId=20276)

Buckeye_Nut
01-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Im afraid the Barracuda will return as a weak *****...........

I hope I am wrong..

The new Dart makes me worry....

Jimbo
01-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Well, if they do build the car... it will have its own theme song.

Heart - Barracuda ('77) - YouTube

Shifty11
01-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Heart - Barracuda ('77) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm8C-qkMDUM&feature=related)

I love that song... even though i was born in '95.
I remember it as a wee lil kid.

Will the challenger be ending in '13 OR '14?
They will have to have one SMOKIN car that beats the camaro & mustang to get my vote. The challenger wins my HEART now, doubt thatll change..but always interested if its sexy and mean.

shifty

SC05
01-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Will the challenger be ending in '13 OR '14?
They will have to have one SMOKIN car that beats the camaro & mustang to get my vote. The challenger wins my HEART now, doubt thatll change..but always interested if its sexy and mean.

shifty

They have already said it's going to be RWD and that they are bringing it back for the 50 year anniversary... They are going to make this car bad ass. They have the talent to make it happen (assuming they put the guys that designed the challenger on this project) and with a smaller chassis, they got the engines to give it proper power. You dont call out a 50 year anniversary and bring back a crap version of a legendary car. They've already stated it's going to be RWD and lighter, so they are on the right track. Sounds more like a purpose built car already. Maybe they can get some Italian influence for the suspension work.

There's no way it's going to be the same stunt they pulled with the Dart. Naming it the Dart was an after thought... and EVERYONE knows that. It's got more in common with the Neon than the Dart. It has nothing to do with the Dart other than it's a decently efficient car with doors, wheels and a Dodge badge on the front.

RoostKing
01-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Ehh, never mind. All these people lamenting the new Dart as some sort of indicator of where Dodge is heading seem to be looking at the past with rose colored glasses. The Dodge Dart of yesteryear was a plain jain entry level car that just happened to get caught up in the escalating muscle car wars. Had they not happened, dodge would have kept pumping out slant 6 4 door cars with bench seats and column shifters. It was a utlitarian vehicle that ended up with power. Fast forward to the present. The new dodge dart is a 4 door entry level utilitarian vehicle, that may itself get caught up in the HP wars. Who knows. But if people think that every car from dodge has to have a hemi to carry on some of the old school nameplates is living in a fantasy. Sorry, but its the truth.

pdx.challenger
01-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Ehh, never mind. All these people lamenting the new Dart as some sort of indicator of where Dodge is heading seem to be looking at the past with rose colored glasses. The Dodge Dart of yesteryear was a plain jain entry level car that just happened to get caught up in the escalating muscle car wars. Had they not happened, dodge would have kept pumping out slant 6 4 door cars with bench seats and column shifters. It was a utlitarian vehicle that ended up with power. Fast forward to the present. The new dodge dart is a 4 door entry level utilitarian vehicle, that may itself get caught up in the HP wars. Who knows. But if people think that every car from dodge has to have a hemi to carry on some of the old school nameplates is living in a fantasy. Sorry, but its the truth.

+1 :yesnod:

CCUChris
01-14-2012, 10:45 PM
There's no way it's going to be the same stunt they pulled with the Dart. Naming it the Dart was an after thought... and EVERYONE knows that. It's got more in common with the Neon than the Dart. It has nothing to do with the Dart other than it's a decently efficient car with doors, wheels and a Dodge badge on the front.

I agree and no one says every car has to be a heritage edition model or anything.
I do believe the point is Dodge hyped the Dart to be just that some sort of retro throw back and it simply is not. It is very fiesta-ish. Now of course Dodge needs a car to compete with Fiestas and Cruz and Focuses(they still make those redesigned Escorts right?) and cars like that but there is no reasoning for them to call it a Dart really. If you think about it, the name "Dart" is not a particularly appealling word let alone name for a car.

And not every car Dodge has is a muscle car or retro inspired. take the Journey for instance. It's almost a mini van and if you take a good hard look at the new Durango, it looks more like mini van then an SUV.

Calling it Dart and not following through with some sort of nod t the past just makes me feel duped.....

2ndgen
01-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Exactly, that was over 4 years ago.

It'll have to, especially since it's been announced that the next generation Mustang & Camaro will be on smaller platforms than their current versions.

I shudder to think how Ford might make their Mustang even smaller...

Fiestang?
Focustang?

Gaston Daoust
01-15-2012, 12:10 AM
I was lucky enough to come home in my dad's yellow 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger 340. He balked at the price of my Challenger lol.(old school, he says a car is the worst investment you can make). My response to him was, "Had you kept your's we wouldn't be having this conversation!"

RoostKing
01-15-2012, 04:52 AM
I agree and no one says every car has to be a heritage edition model or anything.
I do believe the point is Dodge hyped the Dart to be just that some sort of retro throw back and it simply is not. It is very fiesta-ish. Now of course Dodge needs a car to compete with Fiestas and Cruz and Focuses(they still make those redesigned Escorts right?) and cars like that but there is no reasoning for them to call it a Dart really. If you think about it, the name "Dart" is not a particularly appealling word let alone name for a car.

And not every car Dodge has is a muscle car or retro inspired. take the Journey for instance. It's almost a mini van and if you take a good hard look at the new Durango, it looks more like mini van then an SUV.

Calling it Dart and not following through with some sort of nod t the past just makes me feel duped.....

I guess I havent seen the hype you talk about and the 4 doors and entry level vehicle are a nod to the past. The whole point of the dart to begin with.

RoostKing
01-15-2012, 04:57 AM
BTW, the Toyota Corrola is in the same class as the Dart and comes with way less features and check out the engine specs:

1.8-Liter 4-Cylinder (http://www.toyota.com/help/glossary/85.html) DOHC 16-Valve with Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i); 132 hp @ 6000 rpm, 128 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm

So the new Dart has over 50 more HP than at least one competitor. Not sure of other cars that are even in this class, but I would say thats something. Looks better too.

RoostKing
01-15-2012, 04:59 AM
THe Hyundai Elantra comes in at 148 HP.

rayzazoo
01-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Should go on YouTube and watch the 650 hp / 650 lbs/tq Racing Ford Fiesta.

RoostKing
01-15-2012, 07:00 AM
This one?? I saw it at the LA Auto Show in 2010.

samlab
01-15-2012, 07:23 AM
I doubt they will jetison the Challenger for the Barracuda they wil probabaly be stable mates.....and they take the Calleneger to a new level of performance with the Barracuda being the alterantive in styling, gas mileage and size to weight ratio. Dumping the Challenger would be a rediculous business plan as the car is it's flagship performace car. The will want to expand market share with adding choices not reducing them.

Justinivor
01-15-2012, 07:43 AM
The Challenger is not the flagship or halo car, that mantle will be taken up by the Viper. The Challenger has good sales, but primarily survives due to its shared platform with the Charger and 300. Once platforms switch, the Challenger will have to share its new platform with something else; lone-standing, its future is doubtful.

2ndgen
01-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Should go on YouTube and watch the 650 hp / 650 lbs/tq Racing Ford Fiesta.

This one:

Ken Block's Gymkhana THREE, Part 2; Ultimate Playground; l'Autodrome, France - YouTube

pdx.challenger
01-15-2012, 07:52 AM
I was lucky enough to come home in my dad's yellow 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger 340. He balked at the price of my Challenger lol.(old school, he says a car is the worst investment you can make). My response to him was, "Had you kept your's we wouldn't be having this conversation!"

I still chuckle at the fact that Dodge had a Swinger in the 70's. The car was truly a sign of the times. :icon_wink:

I doubt they will jetison the Challenger for the Barracuda they wil probabaly be stable mates.....and they take the Calleneger to a new level of performance with the Barracuda being the alterantive in styling, gas mileage and size to weight ratio. Dumping the Challenger would be a rediculous business plan as the car is it's flagship performace car. The will want to expand market share with adding choices not reducing them.

The Challenger is gone after the 2014MY & probably sooner. The sooner people accept it, the easier it'll be to move on. :dead:

rayzazoo
01-15-2012, 08:09 AM
This one:

Ken Block's Gymkhana THREE, Part 2; Ultimate Playground; l'Autodrome, France - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8)

:banana: yup. That video reminds me that you can turn anything into a performance monster, no pun intended.

samlab
01-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Justinivor;The Challenger is not the flagship or halo car, that mantle will be taken up by the Viper. The Challenger has good sales, but primarily survives due to its shared platform with the Charger and 300. Once platforms switch, the Challenger will have to share its new platform with something else; lone-standing, its future is doubtful.

Re read what you just put up......the Viper is not the flagship of their cars......this is a different class of vehicle by itself. The flagship of the retro cars is the Challenger as that is the only one they make against Mustang and the Camaro. Besides the recent Press Kudos for the Challenger sales of the Viper are dismal at best.

There is no way they are going to discontinue the Challanger......they will make another car that is competitive too for the marketplace...there's plenty to go around the competitive village commonly called market share and choice......Dodge /Chrysler is just getting started wait for 2014 and 2015 they will be rolling out so many models even Honda will be an after-thought when their done.

the greek mopar man
01-15-2012, 09:09 AM

sounds to me like you have some personal issues you need to deal with. whether it be an srt, rt or se at the end of the day they are all challengers. ok yours hits 60 a second faster than the rt and 3 seconds faster than the se, your point is? you payed 20k more than the cost of the se for 3 seconds and a few other upgrades. don't bother to name them. i know all the upgrades, plus you'll look like more of a fool if you try and explain why you feel that a rt and se should not be called challengers. get over yourself buddy as much as i love my rt its just a car. there are more important things than this!!!!!

pdx.challenger
01-15-2012, 09:20 AM
There is no way they are going to discontinue the Challanger......they will make another car that is competitive too for the marketplace...there's plenty to go around the competitive village commonly called market share and choice......Dodge /Chrysler is just getting started wait for 2014 and 2015 they will be rolling out so many models even Honda will be an after-thought when their done.

Trying to gain market share by producing many models is what got the Big 3 into a mess in the first place. They've finally caught on to the fact that they must produce quality vehicles. Rest assured, there won't be simultaneous Challenger and Barracuda models.

Hitman_
01-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Would make sence to build the next generation Challenger alongside the upcoming Viper and share that platform.

Design team could put in efforts to the car to keep it going for a lot longer if they wanted by going with some of the suggestions already mentioned in this thread. The Challenger does sell, so why not keep going.

Hal H
01-15-2012, 09:45 AM
I do believe the car will be close in size to the Genesis coupe. With Fiat slowly taking over you might see a heavier influence of American/Italian design so that both bodies can be used here and abroad.
Hopefully it will be a downright mean ride but the big cars are slowly disappearing.

I think you're on the track I was thinking - I don't imagine they're likely to make a large coupe like the Challenger again - probably sized down a bit and a worked up 3.6 PentaStar engine or some other engine borrowed from the Alfa line.

The next iteration for a Barracuda probably likely won't be LX based platform. The big cars will likely still be the 300 and Charger, but that's probably it.

The medium range cars is the next field that Chrylser needs to built up its product line in. I predict the Barracuda model will probably cover the mid-size model range.

The Dart is addressing the smaller size cars which replace the 200/Sebring and the Avenger, which frankly, weren't Chryslers shining moments.

With the future CAFE values, 4 and 6cyl engines will be how Chrysler hits that target.

2ndgen
01-15-2012, 09:49 AM
The rumor that's been on allpar site for ages is a 3.0L twin-turbo Pentastar V6 variant with 400+HP. IIRC Ralph has mentioned turbos a few times recently as well.

Fit that in a smaller chassis and it will have considerable fun factor. Won't be a Hemi, but I bet it will sell like hotcakes.

Hal H
01-15-2012, 09:57 AM

The Crossfire was doomed by such odd styling, that sales dropped off so fast (2005 was 3rd year, 2006/2007 years were dismal sales for 4,800/2,000 respectively).

When Daimler wrote off their $48m purchase of Chrysler to, and sold to Cerberus for 10% of the original purchase (from '98), there weren't any further developments on models that were slated to be discontinued, lots of $$ were lost.

The Challenger and '09 Dodge Ram were already developed and in the pipeline for realease. When Cerberus acquired Chrysler and those were essentially the only new model intros during Cerberus' short period of ownership before the bankruptcy and Fiat acquiring Chrysler.

Cerberus only wanted Chrylser for Chrysler Financial - they already owned GMAC (now Ally), and they planned to merge the two finance divisions together.

Chrylser as a car manufacturer was collateral damage in Cerberus' view and with Nardelli as president, didn't help matters either during his term as the helm of Chrysler.
Nardelli was bad for Home Depot and how he got onto Chrylser still makes me shake my head wondering that...

Slightly off topic, but you read those Allpar articles and guys keep going on about the late 80s Dodge Dynasty/ Chrysler New Yorker or the '99 300M as these were the best things Chrylser made - they keep comparing new model intros to these old FWD C-body or the LH derived 300...don't get that either.

Neither of those cars were all that great - the didn't hold that well either (not very much resale, and the durability...), most have gone to the automotive graveyard.

Johnman
01-15-2012, 10:00 AM

Heart - Barracuda ('77) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm8C-qkMDUM&feature=related)

That song was actually written in honor of our own Colonel Angus.

pdx.challenger
01-15-2012, 10:07 AM
The Dart is addressing the smaller size cars which replace the 200/Sebring and the Avenger, which frankly, weren't Chryslers shining moments.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the Dart is intended as a replacement of the 200 and/or Avenger. The Dart is in the compact class & the 200/Avenger are considered mid-size. I'm pretty certain the Dart replaces the Caliber.

Hal H
01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
I shudder to think how Ford might make their Mustang even smaller...

The Ford Probe (remember those) almost became the FWD 'Mustang' - Ford proposed this in the late 80s (replacing the Fox platform 'Stang that dated back to '79) and the 'Stang owners went nuts...

Ford reconsidered and continued with the RWD / V8 Mustang. They were afraid they lose most their sales the GM.

Then again, GM almost went FWD and plastic panels and space frame (Saturn / Fiero approach) when they proposed an F-body replacement in the early 90s.
The 3.4 DOHC V6 that was developed instead went over to the mid-size W-body GM line (Cutlass, Grand Prix, Lumina) instead and GM continued the F-body as RWD and V8 power.

Roomraider
01-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Wrong, Dodge made it official. The name Challenger will be no more, after 2013.

Hal H
01-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I may be wrong, but I don't think that the Dart is intended as a replacement of the 200 and/or Avenger. The Dart is in the compact class & the 200/Avenger are considered mid-size. I'm pretty certain the Dart replaces the Caliber.

I stand corrected -
I keep trying to block out the image of the Caliber (my former company had one of those in white - with all sorts of company decals on it...) I could see it out the windows of the office most every day. Jeez, that thing was beyond homely.
I wanted to set fire to the thing and call it 'spontaneous combustion', but there would have been too many witnesses to allow me to pull that off.

Anyway, the 200 and Avenger are slated for replacement - the re-styles those got as 2010s were a stop-gap measure until a replacement is developed to retire those two models.

MoparOhio
01-15-2012, 10:57 AM
I stand corrected -
I keep trying to block out the image of the Caliber (my former company had one of those in white - with all sorts of company decals on it...) I could see it out the windows of the office most every day. Jeez, that thing was beyond homely.
I wanted to set fire to the thing and call it 'spontaneous combustion', but there would have been too many witnesses to allow me to pull that off.

Anyway, the 200 and Avenger are slated for replacement - the re-styles those got as 2010s were a stop-gap measure until a replacement is developed to retire those two models.

The 200 replacement will be about the same as it is and the Avenger will die off and a CUV will take it's place I believe. Chrysler no longer wants to have two products for the same buyer.... the Caravan will go away as well and the new Town & Country Minivan replacement will take the place of both.

whitert444
01-15-2012, 11:33 AM
FYI: The End of the Dodge Challenger is Nigh | Challenger Blogger (http://www.challengerblogger.com/2012/01/the-end-of-the-dodge-challenger-is-nigh/)

At Detroit Auto Show Dodge Declares the Challenger's Run Soon Over

Dodge has plans in place to end the Challenger's production run in 2014 and replace their pony car with a smaller, more CAFE friendly Barracuda.

If Dodge has one thing at their disposal it's a cadre of legendary Chrysler nameplates at their disposal, and the name Baracuda is just another one of them. The Dodge Challenger, while beautiful and impressive (and very able to hold its own, performance-wise, especially in SRT8 form) is heavy. Very heavy, in fact, and that weight has hurt the Challenger's sales as well as its market image.
This weight issue has made the current Challenger an uncommon sight at track days around the nation where its closest competitors--the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro--can be found in droves, and it's this weight issue that will ultimately lead to the Challenger's demise.
CAFE restrictions have become rough, and Dodge as a brand is having trouble keeping its numbers where they need to be in relation to CAFE averages and standards. The weighty Challenger, and its weighty brother the Charger, don't help with this either. For this reason, the move to a lighter--and, as result, more fuel friendly--alternative seemed like a given.
Thus enters the Dodge Barracuda. Thus far, little is known about the Barracuda. What Dodge has said is that the vehicle will not be built on the Challenger's LY Platform, and, according to rumors will be constructed on the same rear-wheel drive platform as the Hyundai Genesis coupe. This platform, whether it or another one is used, will guaranteed be shorter, thinner, and much lighter than the Challenger LY one.
These moves should ultimately take the Challenger, through means of downsizing, from a Grand-Touring Coupe as it is currently built to a more legitimate, light-weight and high-performing sports car--the likes of which, outside of the Viper, Dodge hasn't produced in decades. Also, this move makes sense in conjunction with the Alfa Romeo co-ownership of Dodge now, as either purchasing the rights to the Genesis platform or producing an entirely new one would provide Alfa Romeo with an affordable, lightweight, RWD platform that could be utilized for a more entry-level sports vehicle in their very successful European market--maybe something to battle with the BMW 1M and other vehicles of that nature?
Ultimately, Dodge has this new Barracuda slated for release in the 2014 model year--which means that we should begin seeing concept versions of it in the upcoming months. This 2014 date would mean that the entire life-span of the Challenger, launched in this iteration in 2008, would be just over five years. The 2014 date also puts the Barracuda in line to compete with the revamped 50th Anniversary Edition Ford Mustang set for release that same year, and the next generation Chevrolet Camaro that's scheduled for release in the 2015 model year.

pdx.challenger
01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm not one to say I told everyone so, but.... :rolleyes:

TurboAWD
01-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Shared Hyundai platform? DODGE Barracuda? I think that blogger is on crack and just typing out drivel for hits. I dont believe a word of that nonsense.

SRTpwr
01-15-2012, 12:07 PM
"and it's this weight issue that will ultimately lead to the Challenger's demise."

Sad... The Challenger will leave us due to morbid obesity. In my opinion, it's gonna be tough for Dodge to make another car as beautiful as the Challenger is. I wish them luck with the Barracuda.

2010 Hemi Orange Challenger RT Classic
6 Speed Manual
Super Track Pak
Electronics Conv. Group
Mygig Nav with Sound Group II
White Stripes

Mods: Katzkin Pearl White Leather * Skip Shift Eliminator

jordanjacob
01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
I haven't seen a picture of a Challenger from the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, saw lots of others pictured though. Did they even bring one there?

Hal H
01-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Shared Hyundai platform? DODGE Barracuda? I think that blogger is on crack and just typing out drivel for hits. I dont believe a word of that nonsense.

...shades of 1978!!

This is very deja-vu of how the Mitsubishi sourced Dodge Challenger / Plymouth Sapporo was the 'sporty 2 door' replacement for the E-body that ran from '78 - '83 model years. Although that was out-and-out 'badge engineering' with slightly different trim for the Chrysler marketed versions.

I'll tell you what kids, hang onto your LC Challengers, since its not likely there will be a RWD V8 coupe in the Dodge lineup. You might regret it if you sell yours only to later think of "the one that got away" years later.

There's a possiblity of the 5.0 Genesis making it over to the Chrysler line up, but that all depends on whether Hyundai will allow that. Right now, that's about the only car in that segment that has V8 power that's coming up for the '12 model year.

It all depends if Hyundai wants to keep that version for their own brand.

Styling wise, the 'hard points' [structure, suspension attachment points, engine bay clearances, driveline] dictate the form of body styling. Its likely that there may be some differances from the Hyundai sheetmetal, but I'd doubt its going to have a strong resemblance to the '70s Barracuda...the scale, proportions is very different from the E-body Barracuda or the current Challenger.

The Hyundai is a much more elongated looking car that what we have today.
This is more in line with the former Acura RSX or Mitsubishi Eclipse and the like that is supposed to the Asian alternative to the Mustang, with very snug interior dimensions (i.e., seating for 2 adults, but that's about it).

KevinMArchibald
01-15-2012, 12:21 PM
The Dodge Challenger's Days May Be Numbered: Report (http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1071512_the-dodge-challengers-days-may-be-numbered-report) The blogger's just repackaging this story with a more official looking title, but no statements from Dodge. I haven't seen anything from the Detroit show on any site that makes the end of the Challenger and the production of the Barracuda official.

If such a vehicle was created, sure, I'd take a look at it. But if it's going to look like any of the old Baracudas, I prefer the look of the 1970 Challenger. The best view of the 70s Cuda looks like a Challenger, with the front and back not as nice as the '70 Challenger.

The 2012 Challenger SRT8 is near-perfect in looks and functionality. I would focus on reducing weight while trying to keep as much of the current looks and functionality as possible. The '70 Challenger is shorter, narrower, and the nose looks like it's not as thick. So seems like it would be possible to scale down the 2012 Challenger, maybe with a different chassis and engine, but still keep a very similar side, front, and rear view. Basically an even more true-to-the-original modern pro-street replica of the '70 Challenger. (Of course, parts of the modern cabin design and the rest of the car are constrained by modern safety requirements, like thicker pillars for the air bags.)

theACE
01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Hopefully this car will give the Stang a good run for its money.

I'm sick of the Challenger not competing like it should be.

RoostKing
01-15-2012, 12:34 PM
It already does, amd looks 10x better

SRT8Tech
01-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Hopefully this car will give the Stang a good run for its money.

I'm sick of the Challenger not competing like it should be.

Yeah, the 392 isnt as fast as the 5.0 right???:zlurking:

And for the guy that said "Shared Hyundai platform" is an IDIOT!! It most likely will share the platform of the Alfa 8C.

MoparOhio
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
At this point everything is pure speculation. Before jumping to conclusions lets see what Chrysler officially shows and says.

If the Challenger replacement is a car that looks a lot like the Genesis coupe I will probably pass and either keep what I have or get a last MY Challenger RT and be 100% content.

pdx.challenger
01-15-2012, 03:12 PM
A Barracuda built on the Hyundai Genesis coupe platform to compete against the BMW M1? Say it won't happen. :disappointed:

dodgeboy90501
01-15-2012, 06:33 PM
The reality is that even though the Challenger has done alright sales wise, it is a distant 3rd to its competition, the mustang and camaro. And yes, they are its competition whether or not you want to call it a pony car or a muscle car.

The challenger only exists because as Charger and 300c sales dwindled and the Magnum ended production, they had room to produce the Challenger at Brampton.

Chrysler is making a comeback, the Magnum is returning, the revised Charger and 300 are in their early years, and Fiat is planning to build a large Alfa at brampton as well. It's not logical to build a large muscle car when it won't sell as well as the alternatives, and when it's in its 5th model year, with limited options for updating.

It makes more sense to shrink it down, and make it a more direct competitor to the Mustang and Camaro, to try to grab some of their MASSIVE sales. Dodge's current comeback situation makes it the prime time for them to do that.

I don't know if you've heard, but the Magnum revival is dead. It will not return as the European version of it, the 300C Touring, is also dead. As for the 'Cuda name, it can't be used as its already patented with Dan Gurney Racing. I believe the next platform code is LY which is a shorter version of the LX platform.

High Rise Torker
01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Pretty sure we wont see another car like the Challenger after 2013. In no way shape or form. Ever. The new SRT Barracuda wont have any retro looks at all. Without a name plate u wont even know what your lookin at. Just be glad they made a 5 yr run of the Challenger.

pdx.challenger
01-15-2012, 06:47 PM
I don't know if you've heard, but the Magnum revival is dead. It will not return as the European version of it, the 300C Touring, is also dead. As for the 'Cuda name, it can't be used as its already patented with Dan Gurney Racing. I believe the next platform code is LY which is a shorter version of the LX platform.

The 'Cuda name is not the Barracuda name.

:deadhorse:

devnulll
01-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Pretty sure we wont see another car like the Challenger after 2013. In no way shape or form. Ever. The new SRT Barracuda wont have any retro looks at all. Without a name plate u wont even know what your lookin at. Just be glad they made a 5 yr run of the Challenger.

I think you are very correct. Ralf mentioned in the SEMA interview that the Challenger is a niche market car that had a good run with muscle cars entusiasts and 'even' attracted some young folks.

They can only do so much with a retro looking car. To get more sales the new car has to appeal to a broader audience. So design wise it will be mostly modern, with 'some' retro 'cues'. It is a smart business decision, but a very tricky one.

I just hope they leave more retro cues and to have v8 option.

dodgeboy90501
01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
The 'Cuda name is not the Barracuda name.

:deadhorse:

Really, take the last 4 letters off Barracuda and what do get. 'Cuda's were the high performance versions of the Barracuda. That's why there is ' before Cuda.

JohnnyQuaaludes
01-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Dammmmm maybe I should have waited for a 2013 instead of trading in for a 2012 Rt?
I think 2013 will be the end of the challenger.
Maybe if Dodge gets the Cuda in the market,maybe it will look as reallll and old school as the 2004 GTO???.........................JQ

High Rise Torker
01-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Best we could hope for is they make it fast. Real fast. Slap the 426 in there and watch her go. My guess, turbo 6 is what they will put in it. All speculation at this point. But first we have to get past 2012. Alive. :blowingup:

High Rise Torker
01-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Make it like this boys.LMC Super Cuda 200 MPH! - YouTube

RoostKing
01-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Really, take the last 4 letters off Barracuda and what do get. 'Cuda's were the high performance versions of the Barracuda. That's why there is ' before Cuda.

I think his point is that trademark wise, Barracuda is still ok.

JohnnyQuaaludes
01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
I would like to see what Dodge can do with the Cuda name.
Even if they screw up,I am sure 99% will not know or can care less.
As for us 1%,we will complain and complain buttttt nobody will listen
or will care at all.
Most still don't know what a Challenger is,many think its a Camaro still................JQ

pdx.challenger
01-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I think his point is that trademark wise, Barracuda is still ok.

:thumbsup:

robo5555
01-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Maybe it will look like the awesome 1978 Challenger and they will put a Fiat four cylinder in it. Wohoo!

nakita7
01-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but if the Challenger goes to 2013, how do you get a 5-year run out of that??

pdx.challenger
01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
not to hijack the thread, but if the challenger goes to 2013, how do you get a 5-year run out of that??

2013 - 2008 = 5.

Of course, that's production years, not model years, because then it would be 6.

silver-knight
01-16-2012, 12:53 AM
I don't know where the news came about that Chrysler officially said the Challenger name would be no more after 2014. There hasn't been such an announcement made. However, they did effectively say in their Five Year Plan that the current model would run its course after 2014 (which is obvious given it's pretty much an industry standard that cars are replaced after five years).

Don't sell the Challenger's styling short. Sure, Chrysler may have backed themselves into a corner with the design of the current car, but it can evolve. It's probably not the most ideal example, but look at how Volkswagen pulled the new Beetle out of the same problem and managed to improve it. The Challenger can evolve and still be recognizable; small details really go a long way.

The rumors of the Barracuda name replacing the Challenger are exactly that: rumors. In fact, Motor Trend started them and guess what? Motor Trend has been wrong on plenty of occasions before. Automakers constantly re-register old trademarks mainly to make a little money from them when they license them for merchandising. That doesn't mean they have any intentions of building a car with a particular name again, although it does secure that an automaker can use it in the future. Still, I wouldn't bet on Chrysler using the Barracuda name on a car unless it could also secure the rights to use the 'Cuda name too, which isn't likely since Chrysler has tried it before and was also turned down. (AAR has the 'Cuda name in a firm grip.)

If there's anything that they've gotten right its that the next Challenger will be smaller and lighter, which isn't really a secret. Chrysler knows it's going to have to get the weight down for the next rear-drive coupe it builds to improve handling and fuel economy and to keep better pace with the Mustang (which, to be fair, would be close to facing the same problems if it had an independent rear suspension). It's also no different over at GM; the Camaro is a well known porker.

It'll still focus on V-6 and V-8 engines, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if it offers a turbo-four as the base engine or at least as a no-cost option for mpg-minded buyers. This will be true of the next Camaro and Mustang and you can bet Chrysler will not be caught with their pants down.

What has me puzzled, though, is if the rumored 4.8L V8 for 2014 fits into the picture anywhere. The next-generation Charger (which is also moving down in size) is supposed to have it, so will it take place of one of the Hemi options? It's tough finding a straight answer on that one.

The Challenger has been nothing but a money maker for Chrysler and an awesome image car for Dodge. Chrysler isn't going to piss that away. With the Viper branching off, there's also most certainly room for it in Dodge's lineup.

Also note that I may be wrong in a few places. This is just what I've gathered from a few sources, but I feel I'm mostly right.

CCUChris
01-16-2012, 01:30 AM
The Challenger has been nothing but a money maker for Chrysler and an awesome image car for Dodge. Chrysler isn't going to piss that away. With the Viper branching off, there's also most certainly room for it in Dodge's lineup.

I so totally agree with this. All these know it alls running around here. Pf course the Charger 300 are going to be downsized platforms THUS the Challenger will share this new downsized platform as well. Challenger all 5 productions years to date rate right at 5 stars on every automotive review website you can find. And Chrysler is not going to screw around with the Chargers and 300's too much thats their real bread and butter.

It only makes sense that Challenger will continue built on a new platform that is shared by the 300/Chargers in the future.

Hal H
01-16-2012, 05:35 AM
I so totally agree with this. All these know it alls running around here. Pf course the Charger 300 are going to be downsized platforms THUS the Challenger will share this new downsized platform as well. Challenger all 5 productions years to date rate right at 5 stars on every automotive review website you can find. And Chrysler is not going to screw around with the Chargers and 300's too much thats their real bread and butter.

It only makes sense that Challenger will continue built on a new platform that is shared by the 300/Chargers in the future.

Only time will tell at the point when CHRYSLER announces what their product line plans are - so far, there's not been any official mention of what takes places MY2014, 2015 on the larger cars and the derivative models (Challenger) that are coming from the present LX line up that Fiat is looking for other sources to replace...

SC05
01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
what's this business about sharing a platform with Hyundai? That seems a little sketchy and haven't heard that anywhere else...

Does Hyundai source that platform from somewhere or did they create it on their own?

devnulll
01-16-2012, 12:46 PM
what's this business about sharing a platform with Hyundai? That seems a little sketchy and haven't heard that anywhere else...

Does Hyundai source that platform from somewhere or did they create it on their own?

I think it started with the original article where the author mentioned that the new car should be "like the Genesis coupe". It didn't sound to me like he was saying they are actually going to use it.

I think the author's reference was that Hyundai is using the same chassis for both the Genesis coupe and sedan - very much like Charger/Challenger - that is why he referenced it.

It took Hyundai 20 months and $500mil to develop it. It appears to be better/lighter than BMW's so it could make sense for Chrysler to use, unless they already have their own FIAT/Chrysler built.

Some people say they will use the Alfa Romeo 8C's chassis, but that is a $300,000 car, no way they will use that chassis for $40K car. Maybe for the Viper.

Using the Genesis chassis could make sense, but muscle car on a import chassis would be a gamble they don't want to take, even if Hyundai has better reliability than Chrysler/Dodge.

pdx.challenger
01-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Some people say they will use the Alfa Romeo 8C's chassis, but that is a $300,000 car, no way they will use that chassis for $40K car. Maybe for the Viper.

I agree. An article that I read recently stated that the Alfa 8C chassis is slated for the Viper. Some people here insist that it's for the next gen muscle car, but I'm not going to get into a debate over it. :shrug03:

Using the Genesis chassis could make sense, but muscle car on a import chassis would be a gamble they don't want to take, even if Hyundai has better reliability than Chrysler/Dodge.

Having owned a recent Hyundai as a daily driver, I would absolutely consider a Barracuda on a Genesis platform if it were a retro design, which I doubt it would be. I think that, like the Charger, it'll be a new design with only some retro styling cues. As for "diehards" that'll whine about it being an import, we're currently driving an old(er) gen Mercedes Benz. :rolleyes:

JS23V0B
01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I The Challenger has been nothing but a money maker for Chrysler and an awesome image car for Dodge. Chrysler isn't going to piss that away. With the Viper branching off, there's also most certainly room for it in Dodge's lineup.

I agree that the Challenger is the best thing that came out of Chrysler Corp since 1976, but I doubt that it is a serious money maker for Chrysler. Sales volumes have been steady, but nothing earth shattering.

pdx.challenger
01-16-2012, 01:22 PM
I agree that the Challenger is the best thing that came out of Chrysler Corp since 1976, but I doubt that it is a serious money maker for Chrysler. Sales volumes have been steady, but nothing earth shattering.

True. There isn't much profit for a manufacturer in selling ±38K units/year. This is a (too) low volume vehicle & Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge expects the new version to be more of a mass seller. Additionally, notice that even before calendar year 2012, the '12 models were already being reduced to move them.

cortc
01-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Agree, the 8sp will be for the V6 only...

rayzazoo
01-16-2012, 04:03 PM
A dealer I was talking with just left me a message that the 426 would not fit in the Challenger. It was an entertaining comment. I guess he really wants me to buy the 392 on their lot.

Turbozcs2003
01-16-2012, 04:04 PM
They only need to make about 100K per year for a platform to be profitable according to an Engineer over on Allpar, so as long as Charger, 300, Challanger = 100K units total, they turn a profit.

So dont think that 40K units per year for a special car that sells itself with minimum to no advertising and next to no rebates isnt profitable

True. There isn't much profit for a manufacturer in selling ±38K units/year. This is a (too) low volume vehicle & Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge expects the new version to be more of a mass seller. Additionally, notice that even before calendar year 2012, the '12 models were already being reduced to move them.

pdx.challenger
01-16-2012, 06:23 PM
So dont think that 40K units per year for a special car that sells itself with minimum to no advertising and next to no rebates isnt profitable

Because it's built on the same platform & on the same assembly line, doesn't mean that it doesn't have its own associated costs. In the Spring of 2011, there were still dealerships trying to unload 2010 models, such as brand new SE's at below $18K. Once again, before calendar year 2012 even started, '12 Challengers were already being sharply discounted to move them. So we have a vehicle that isn't producing the mass volume nor profits, that Sergio Marchionne of Fiat has clearly stated is expected from Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. :slant:

silver-knight
01-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Because it's built on the same platform & on the same assembly line, doesn't mean that it doesn't have its own associated costs.

About the only money invested into the Challenger program was for unique sheetmetal and a mostly unique interior. Other than that, it's a shortened LX floorpan, the suspension and seat frames are LX sourced, the switchgear is all shared with the LX cars and a few other Chryslers, and the engines and transmissions are all corporate. The corporate parts bin was raided heavily for the Challenger and program costs were relatively low.

Although GM is moving more Camaros than Chrysler is Challengers, I bet they aren't seeing a huge gap in profits versus what Chrysler is seeing from the Challenger. GM's modifications to the Zeta platform were quite more extensive than what Chrysler did to LX to make the Challenger. For example, to keep the stance similar to what was seen on the 2006 concept car, GM had to reposition the location of the front wheels on the Zeta platform. In contrast, Chrysler mainly had to shorten the LX floorpan to create the Challenger's platform. While the version of Zeta the Camaro rides on is hardly the same as what underpins the Holden Commodore (former Pontiac G8) the version of LX that the Challenger rides on isn't terribly different from what the Charger rides on. It ultimately means GM has more money invested into their pony car program than Chrysler does.

Don't forget GM also had to invest over 700,000,000 into their Oshawa production plant to build the Camaro, although I'm fairly confident this wasn't rolled into the development costs of the F5 Camaro. The Challenger didn't require anything of the sort.

In the Spring of 2011, there were still dealerships trying to unload 2010 models, such as brand new SE's at below $18K. Once again, before calendar year 2012 even started, '12 Challengers were already being sharply discounted to move them.

It's not just the Challenger. Dealers and manufacturers have been discounting brand new cars over the last two years to keep sales and profits up.

Over at RAM, you can buy a brand new Hemi 1500 Express with leather seats and a few power options for only $19k to $20k after incentives and discounts. There are also incentives out there for other Chrysler products. I know a decently equipped Charger can also be had for $21k right now and a 4WD Patriot Sport that stickers for about $19k will set you back $15k.

Blame the economy, not the car. If dealers were charging sticker price for everything, no one would be buying new right now.

So we have a vehicle that isn't producing the mass volume nor profits, that Sergio Marchionne of Fiat has clearly stated is expected from Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. :slant:

I wouldn't say that. Chrysler always figured they wouldn't sell 100,000 Challengers a year and planned accordingly for that. Sales have also increased in small amounts since 2009 and have remained steady. (You can't really count 2008 for obvious reasons.)

Also there is one more thing that doesn't work in the Challenger's favor and that's the lack of advertising presence. Sure, Chrysler's occasionally run a few ads on TV and in magazines, but the Camaro has been in two stupid Michael Bay movies that raked in millions of dollars at the box office. It's helped to give the car a massive ad presence. One of those films also featured the Camaro two full years before it was released for public consumption, leaving the Camaro as a secure choice in buyer's minds well before they could actually buy it.

Chrysler failed to hype the Challenger up to that degree. If they did, I'm sure its sales would be a different story. I mean, when's the last time the Challenger really took center stage in a big-screen movie? (Answer: 1971.)

They only need to make about 100K per year for a platform to be profitable according to an Engineer over on Allpar, so as long as Charger, 300, Challanger = 100K units total, they turn a profit.

Exactly.

While I snapped up my '10 Bright Silver Metallic SE last April for a little over $19k after discounts and incentives totaling up to $6k (to be fair, $1k of that was money knocked off for a delivery mishap that resulted in a deep scratch above the driver's side side marker light), I know Chrysler is only offering a $1,500 cash allowance incentive right now and dealer discounts are slim to nil. Discounts on new Challengers really are at a minimum.

pdx.challenger
01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Challenger production began prior to Chrysler/Dodge becoming a Fiat subsidiary. Their former corporate standards aren't acceptable to Fiat & the Challenger doesn't fit into the business plan which Sergio Marchionne has publicly stated. It's clear that some people refuse to understand this, so it's fruitless to repeatedly attempt to rationalize it. I'm certain this will continue to be the case in the next year or two, when the imminent demise of the Challenger occurs. :hat:

silver-knight
01-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Challenger production began prior to Chrysler/Dodge becoming a Fiat subsidiary. Their former corporate standards aren't acceptable to Fiat & the Challenger doesn't fit into the business plan which Sergio Marchionne has publicly stated.

Do you have a source for that? I can't find anything where Marchionne stated the Challenger doesn't fit into the Five Year Plan and the product pipeline beyond that.

It's clear that some people refuse to understand this, so it's fruitless to repeatedly attempt to rationalize it. I'm certain this will continue to be the case in the next year or two, when the imminent demise of the Challenger occurs. :hat:

Don't be too sure of that.

Just be sure of this: nothing is quite set in ink just yet.

Fuschia
01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Hate to see the Challenger stop production, it hasn't even been that long. Plus, the prices may really sky rocket as a result, making it impossible to even buy a used one.

SC05
01-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Im not sure how light they plan in making the barracuda but I would think at most 3500 lbs to be completely competitive with the mustang and get better mileage...

Imagine if they put a 392 in a 3500lb car

SRT8Tech
01-17-2012, 08:39 AM

:bigthumb:

Fuschia
01-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Im not sure how light they plan in making the barracuda but I would think at most 3500 lbs to be completely competitive with the mustang and get better mileage...

If they made it lighter, smaller and more fuel efficient as some articles are speculating, with the retro look, the lines, the grille, it may be something a lot of people will want to buy and may fly off the line. The new car would have to take after the old Barracuda, not like this Dart thing, that really isn't.

devnulll
01-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Hate to see the Challenger stop production, it hasn't even been that long. Plus, the prices may really sky rocket as a result, making it impossible to even buy a used one.

All things come to an end, eventually.... With the limited color runs and all - this was probably part of the Dodge's plan.

There are still plenty of Challengers around if you want one, but nothing like the last year - dealers are definitely moving them now.

pdx.challenger
01-17-2012, 09:29 AM
All things come to an end, eventually.... With the limited color runs and all - this was probably part of the Dodge's plan.

There are still plenty of Challengers around if you want one, but nothing like the last year - dealers are definitely moving them now.

When the Challenger was initially introduced, Chrysler/Dodge stated that it would be a 5 year run. It's already surpassed that & with Fiat's global business plan, a replacement is now due.

TommyGNR
01-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Charger and 300 are moving to a smaller RWD platform.
Challenger will move to the same platform.
It will still be a called a Challenger. Calling it a Barracuda makes no sense, Plymouth is no more. Doing so would anger more people than those who would like it.

Despite all this speculation nobody from Chrysler has actually said their were going to replace the Challenger with a Barracuda. Its just car mag speculation.

MoparOhio
01-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Charger and 300 are moving to a smaller RWD platform.
Challenger will move to the same platform.
It will still be a called a Challenger. Calling it a Barracuda makes no sense, Plymouth is no more. Doing so would anger more people than those who would like it.

Despite all this speculation nobody from Chrysler has actually said their were going to replace the Challenger with a Barracuda. Its just car mag speculation.

I would agree with your statement about the Barracuda name. However, 30 year olds and younger probably 99% of them have never heard of the Barracuda name and probably 50% of them barely remember the Plymouth name. If the Barracuda name does well in potential customer feedback I am sure they will highly consider using it again. It is very expensive and time consuming to pick a new name and make sure it is all 100% legal and will work with the potential buying public. This is why it is so important not to destroy a positive mindset to a current vehicle. Once a name gets a bad rap it is almost impossible to revive it.

B-Digital
01-17-2012, 01:21 PM
30 year olds and younger probably 99% of them have never heard of the Barracuda name and probably 50% of them barely remember the Plymouth name.

cmon now go easy on us young folks... im sure more than 1% of us know of the Barracuda

Moving the name Cuda to Dodge isnt as crazy as everyone thinks, they moved lots of cars between the companies

Plymouth / Chrysler Prowler
Plymouth / Chrysler / Dodge Neon
Dodge / Chrysler Dynasty (In Canada they were Chrysler)
Dodge / Chrysler Intrepid (In Canada they were Chrysler)

I'm sure theres many more so I dont think its a big issue moving the name to Dodge (even tho some of you wont be happy)

I'd be willing to bet theyre working on a smaller platform right now for the 300 charger and have told the engineers to make sure they can derive a 2 door from it AND have a convertible as an option for dodges next performance vehicle. Whether they call it a Cuda, Challenger or something entirely different. I'm sure Chrysler (and the marketing team) still doesnt have that set in stone yet.

This would make sense if they plan on still building these 3 cars in Brampton.

Montana
01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
I love my Challenger! I think that Dodge hit it out of the park with the retro design that did a great job of staying true to the original. Far more so than the Camaro and Mustang.

With that being said, I would rather see Dodge retire the Challenger name for a new badge if does not intend to keep with the vein that we all currently love. I mean that new Dart is terrible!!! Again, if you aren't going to stick with the idea of the old design then don't attempt to slap an old name on a completely unrelated design...a la the Pontiac GTO.

SRT8Tech
01-17-2012, 04:40 PM

Well, before all this talk about the Barracuda came about. I said over a month ago that one of the Chrysler reps that I know said the Barracuda is coming back and the Challenger MIGHT still be in production or stop being produced all together. His words were "The Challenger might have a pause in production or just stop being made, its not totally known yet." He thinks the Barracuda will be based on the Alfa 8C. Like I said, this was right from a Chrysler reps mouth wayyy before this mag said anything. I dont like taking a reps word on anything but I have known this guy for about 12 years. I say its a good chance of what he is saying is pretty true.

Fuschia
01-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I love my Challenger! I think that Dodge hit it out of the park with the retro design that did a great job of staying true to the original. Far more so than the Camaro and Mustang.

With that being said, I would rather see Dodge retire the Challenger name for a new badge if does not intend to keep with the vein that we all currently love. I mean that new Dart is terrible!!! Again, if you aren't going to stick with the idea of the old design then don't attempt to slap an old name on a completely unrelated design...a la the Pontiac GTO.

Agree Dodge did a great job with the Challenger when it was brought back. If the Barracuda can't be done in the same way, then they are better off to not even bother. Maybe that's the reason some people have an issue with the new Dart, the name and the design just don't seem to mix.

USponycar
01-17-2012, 05:58 PM
I hope the Barracuda will be based upon the old school look as well. If it is lighter, smaller, packs a lot of power, I think the majority of current and past Challenger owners will flock to the show rooms to buy one.
I understand the purist perspective that it used to be a Plymouth Barracuda, but really people, are you telling me you can't live with an SRT Barracuda or whatever?
Things change. Deal with it.

RoostKing
01-17-2012, 06:08 PM
I hope the Barracuda will be based upon the old school look as well. If it is lighter, smaller, packs a lot of power, I think the majority of current and past Challenger owners will flock to the show rooms to buy one.
I understand the purist perspective that it used to be a Plymouth Barracuda, but really people, are you telling me you can't live with an SRT Barracuda or whatever?

Took the words right out of my mouth. If its styled like a Barracuda and called a Dodge Barracuda, oh well. Sign me up!

LOL, can you imagine if the rehashed the old dart, you people would be crying. Get over it. The original was basically 4 door transportation. The new is as well.

pdx.challenger
01-17-2012, 06:12 PM

I wonder, if the Challenger had been released under the SRT brand, would these same people have refused to purchase it. :lookaround:

SC05
01-17-2012, 10:47 PM
So these rumors of sharing a Hyundai Genesis platform really threw me for a loop. Today I was driving home from work and was sitting behind a Genesis coupe and started to visualize a 67-69 Barracuda rear on it... and I could almost see it. So when I got home I wanted to mess around in photoshop just to see how it would look. Took the top half of a 68 Barracuda and pasted it on a Genesis coupe, in a really quick and sloppy photoshop just to get an idea. My first thoughts were positive, but I wasn't sure if I should post it up or not. But what the hell, if I can spend 5 minutes to get a visual idea across, I'm sure designers who spend their whole waking day working on concepts can make it really work how they see fit... Still not sure how I would feel about actually sharing a platform with Hyundai, but anyway, here's my quick rendition.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/sential/BarracudaChopHemi.png

The Dude
01-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Hah looks pretty cool.

CCUChris
01-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Everyone is forgetting one word Chrysler.Dodge or SRT Baracuda? --> Why could it not be a Chrysler Baracuda? And I still bet they will be based on the new 300/charger smaller platform. Just as was initially planned for the Imperial and THEY WILL BE TWINS!

StealthChallenger
01-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Why would Dodge share a platform with a Korean automaker? Plus, the Genesis coupe was originally supposed to get the V-8 that the Genesis sedan got. Problem was, it didn't fit in the coupe. If that is the case, no thanks Dodge.

pdx.challenger
01-18-2012, 05:28 AM
So these rumors of sharing a Hyundai Genesis platform really threw me for a loop. Today I was driving home from work and was sitting behind a Genesis coupe and started to visualize a 67-69 Barracuda rear on it... and I could almost see it. So when I got home I wanted to mess around in photoshop just to see how it would look. Took the top half of a 68 Barracuda and pasted it on a Genesis coupe, in a really quick and sloppy photoshop just to get an idea. My first thoughts were positive, but I wasn't sure if I should post it up or not. But what the hell, if I can spend 5 minutes to get a visual idea across, I'm sure designers who spend their whole waking day working on concepts can make it really work how they see fit... Still not sure how I would feel about actually sharing a platform with Hyundai, but anyway, here's my quick rendition.

Beautiful! There's nothing wrong with that vehicle. I would embrace a retro Barracuda on a Genesis platform. As I mentioned to the naysayers, we're on an import platform now, so that argument is pointless. It would be great to have Hyundai's quality.

StealthChallenger
01-18-2012, 07:17 AM
My point was the Genesis coupe could not fit the 4.6 V-8 that went into the sedan. You think they can fit a 5.7, 6.4 or the mighty 426 in the Genesis platform? I think not. That is why I don't believe it will share a platform with the Genesis. Why would it? Do any Fiats share a platform with the Genesis? Why not make it easy and have it share the platform with the next generation Charger/300 and build it alongside them like now? It makes no sense.

devnulll
01-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Well do FIAT/Chrysler talked about the chassis they are going to use - I haven't heard a thing. To develop new platform takes $500,000,000 and two years time.

If using a ready to go platform makes sense for them they will save the $$ and license it instead.

I remember reading somewhere that Chrysler was already sharing development costs with Hyundai and another manufacturer to develop an engine. I think it was on Allpar.