Where Is The Oil Filter? 2012 3.6L [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Where Is The Oil Filter? 2012 3.6L

Redstorm3265
02-16-2012, 09:06 PM
I own a 2012 Challenger SXT, just bought it apx. 4 days ago and I have searched and read the manual and cannot find, exactly where it is, I jacked it up and looked all around the oil pan and looked everywhere, There is this what looks like a wrench off type of plastic thing right in the center front of the engine but it has no indication of it being the filter, Can anyone enlighten me?

Dreamco
02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
It is right in the front/top of the engine. It is the black plastic thing with a hex nut on top in front of the engine cover.

Redstorm3265
02-17-2012, 07:13 AM
It is right in the front/top of the engine. It is the black plastic thing with a hex nut on top in front of the engine cover.

Alright thanks!

2LZ
02-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Yes....someone finally got smart and put it on top!
I just bought one yesterday. Napa Gold (Made by Wix, I believe for Napa) I think it was a 7714, if memory serves correctly.

I crawled under to get to the drain plug and the whole underneath side is covered! I guess for aerodynamics and protection???????

Have to get some ramps now. My little jack doesn't go up high enough to put my stands under it!

ptgarcia
02-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Right here:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/ptgarcia/2011%20Dodge%20Challenger/Fumoto%20Drain%20Valve/IMG_5819.jpg

stevewhiteparts
02-17-2012, 10:14 AM
09 - Engine, 3.6L/Lubrication/FILTER, Engine Oil/Removal

REMOVAL

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/common/images/collapse.gif Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/2725331.jpg
All engines are equipped with a high quality full-flow, disposable type oil filter. Chrysler Corporation recommends a Mopar® or equivalent oil filter be used.
CAUTION:When performing an engine oil change, the oil filter cap must be removed. Removing the oil filter cap releases oil held within the oil filter cavity and allows it to drain into the sump. Failure to remove the cap prior to reinstallation of the drain plug will not allow complete draining of the used engine oil.
1.Place an oil absorbant cloth around the oil filter housing at the base of the oil filter cap.

NOTE:The oil filter (3) is attached to the oil filter cap (2).2.Rotate the oil filter cap (1) counterclockwise and remove the cap (1) and filter (3) from the oil filter housing.

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/2725399.jpg3.Remove the oil filter (3) from the oil filter cap (2).4.Remove and discard the O-ring seal (1).

09 - Engine, 3.6L/Lubrication/FILTER, Engine Oil/Installation

INSTALLATION

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/common/images/collapse.gif Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/2725399.jpg

NOTE:It is not necessary to pre-oil the oil filter or fill the oil filter housing.1.Lightly lubricate the new O-ring seal (1) with clean engine oil.2.Install the O-ring seal (1) on the filter cap (2).3.Install the new oil filter (3) into the oil filter cap (2).

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/2725425.jpg4.Thread the oil filter cap (1) into the oil filter housing and tighten to 25 N·m (18 ft. lbs.).5.Add oil, verify crankcase oil level and start engine. Inspect for oil leaks (Refer to 09 - Engine/Lubrication/OIL - Standard Procedure) (https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/getSoftLink.do?NewSoftLinkId=0900130000136&VID=3176678266&TOCSRCNAME=NAS&YEAR=2011&MDSLOCALE=en_US).

hope that helps
Luke

BioHzrd
02-17-2012, 07:39 PM
What oil are you using?

Also did you have to buy the o-ring seal seperate ou did it come with the filter?

shootdownthestars
02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
The O-ring comes in the box with the Napa Gold filter.
I run synthetic Mobil-1 in my 2011 for anyone wondering.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2LZ
02-22-2012, 04:44 PM
The O-ring comes in the box with the Napa Gold filter.
I run synthetic Mobil-1 in my 2011 for anyone wondering.

The exact setup I just switched to last Saturday.......

Tim_K
02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
The 3.6 oil filter is perfectly positioned to drip oil all over the front of the engine while taking the old filter out. Another example of idiot auto engineers at work.

I'll bet one of the engineers brought some weed to work that day, and they all had a bunch of it while designing the oil filter and its location and laughing their heads off the whole time.

"Hey guys I got it - lets put the oil filter on TOP so it leaks all over the engine!!!"

"BBWWHHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH YEAH THATS GREAT!!!! LET'S DO IT! Smith, come up with a good reason to have it there!"

GlennW
02-22-2012, 08:39 PM
I've changed the oil twice now and never got any oil on the engine. Just have a paper towel ready to wrap the filter in and there's no dripping at all. The filters also drip "completely" empty if you let the engine sit for a while before opening up it up.

Dreamco
02-22-2012, 08:55 PM
The 3.6 oil filter is perfectly positioned to drip oil all over the front of the engine while taking the old filter out. Another example of idiot auto engineers at work.

I'll bet one of the engineers brought some weed to work that day, and they all had a bunch of it while designing the oil filter and its location and laughing their heads off the whole time.

"Hey guys I got it - lets put the oil filter on TOP so it leaks all over the engine!!!"

"BBWWHHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH YEAH THATS GREAT!!!! LET'S DO IT! Smith, come up with a good reason to have it there!"

I have not experienced this. does this happen to you when you change your oil?

2LZ
02-23-2012, 07:40 AM
I have not experienced this. does this happen to you when you change your oil?
I haven't either...... Works like a charm and I'm not on my back.
Maybe he missed the part about "Loosen the oil fill cap before taking out the filter to drain the filter housing"?

stevewhiteparts
02-23-2012, 08:01 AM
something i forgot, in one of the last class i attended we were warned, that on the 3.6L engines, some aftermarket oil filters are too short and will cause a fluctuation in pressure which in turn, can cause anything from mil lamps, misfires, etc, techs are being ask to check the oil filters for incorrect fitment, if found it is a non warranty item....including all repairs & diag

the 3.6L engine is significantly different, failure to follow proper procedures will cause significant other issues, for example when removing a valve cover, the gasket must be replaced every time, must be torque by hand, never use an impact or cordless tool, the phasers are located in the front of the valve cover, if a new gasket isnt used and not properly torqued, the oil passages will not line up, causing misfires, mil lamps and even engine damage....

these are not your daddys Oldmosbile

Luke

stevewhiteparts
02-23-2012, 08:05 AM
here is one of the bulletins

MIL Illumination P06DD - Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Stuck Off Due To Incorrect Oil Filter

Discussion:
Vehicles have been showing up at Dealers with Diagnostic Trouble Code P06DD set. One cause of

this DTC has been determined to be that the wrong oil filter has been installed after an oil change by
an independent repair facility or the Customer that has purchased the oil filter in the aftermarket.
These filters may be too short or even slightly too wide (fig. 1).
If this code is present, first verify that the correct Mopar oil filter has been installed. If the incorrect
filter is installed correct this condition and inform the customer that they should return to the point of
purchase for a refund.
The correct Mopar part number is 68079744AB.

stevewhiteparts
02-23-2012, 08:07 AM
and another, there are many.....

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: MIL on, DTC P0394, P0369 or P0349 active
4]Diagnosis: MIL may only illuminate under high load conditions such as ascending a long steep grade.
Repair Procedure:Verify that the PCM is at the latest software level. Follow the diagnostic procedures outlined in Dealer Connect/Tech Connect , if no electrical or component concerns can be verified. Insure that the engine oil filter and engine oil are correct for this application. If customer has had engine oil and engine oil filter changed at an independent "quick lube" business. Change the engine oil and engine oil filter using only Mopar parts

Dreamco
02-23-2012, 08:13 AM
and another, there are many.....

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: MIL on, DTC P0394, P0369 or P0349 active
4]Diagnosis: MIL may only illuminate under high load conditions such as ascending a long steep grade.
Repair Procedure:Verify that the PCM is at the latest software level. Follow the diagnostic procedures outlined in Dealer Connect/Tech Connect , if no electrical or component concerns can be verified. Insure that the engine oil filter and engine oil are correct for this application. If customer has had engine oil and engine oil filter changed at an independent "quick lube" business. Change the engine oil and engine oil filter using only Mopar parts

All great info!! Thanks very much.

ptgarcia
02-23-2012, 09:46 AM

You must not have changed your oil, yet. That filter location is fantastic, and like the others I haven't spilled a drop removing it.

Dreamco
02-23-2012, 06:10 PM

Do you have a 2011 or 2012 Tim?

BioHzrd
02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
If you want to see a mess come change the oil on my 69 383 Big Block.

Redstorm3265
02-23-2012, 10:50 PM
here is one of the bulletins

MIL Illumination P06DD - Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Stuck Off Due To Incorrect Oil Filter

Discussion:
Vehicles have been showing up at Dealers with Diagnostic Trouble Code P06DD set. One cause of

this DTC has been determined to be that the wrong oil filter has been installed after an oil change by
an independent repair facility or the Customer that has purchased the oil filter in the aftermarket.
These filters may be too short or even slightly too wide (fig. 1).
If this code is present, first verify that the correct Mopar oil filter has been installed. If the incorrect
filter is installed correct this condition and inform the customer that they should return to the point of
purchase for a refund.
The correct Mopar part number is 68079744AB.

Wow Didnt even think about worrying about that, Thanks for the heads up!