Gotta Ask: 5.7 HEMI Engine Noise? [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Gotta Ask: 5.7 HEMI Engine Noise?

Powerstick
03-30-2012, 12:28 PM
OK, I posted yesterday about my new Header Orange R/T purchase & I noticed an (engine?) noise I heard while on the inspection drive with the salesman, & it remains after the 350 mile trek home. Seems when the RPM's go up - like starting at around 3,000 RPM, I'm hearing what I would describe as a lifter tapping/knocking noise. We then drove another R/T stick car & I did not hear it - it sounded like all engine - a sweeter sound than my car. Almost sounds a little like a solid lifter engine sound.

I called my buddy who is a test driver & designer for Chrysler & he said he has heard a sound like that on many of the hemi cars he test drives. He was going to check into this some more for me & let me know. So i ask you Challenger 5.7L folks, do your engines sound like what I am describing? Is this just an inherent sound these engines make? I ask because it does sound unusual to me & I have a 2012 Ram Hemi, & had a 2006 Ram Hemi, & I don't remember either sounding like this. Man, I hope everything is OK on this car! I can't imagine letting a dealer mechanic do major work on this car...

Hal H
03-30-2012, 12:44 PM
you're hearing the "Hemi tick" where some of the lifters are noiser than others.

It occurrs on 5.7 and 6.1 engines - and turns up on some 6.4s.

Some do it, some don't from what I've read about this - mine doesn't.

It may be due to lifters that bleed down too fast and the extra clearance makes the noise.

randycat99
03-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Seems hard to imagine that going in with throttle at 3000 rpm, there would be any chance of hearing the Hemi tick or a lifter tick, for that matter. Seems like it would be all glorious engine sound or exhaust sound. If there is a repetitive clacking sound during that scenario, I would suspect it is just the cackle of the engine through the stock perf-core mufflers.

NJRT
03-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I have it too. Brand new 2012 R/T and it sounds just like Powerstick says....a solid lifter engine. Its so bad in mine that just today a friend asked if I have checked the oil in my car. I like it sometimes and other times I want it gone. Maybe a warranty issue?

turner56
03-30-2012, 01:20 PM
my new 2012 ticks all the way though the rpm band 900 miles on it now.

Powerstick
03-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Seems hard to imagine that going in with throttle at 3000 rpm, there would be any chance of hearing the Hemi tick or a lifter tick, for that matter. Seems like it would be all glorious engine sound or exhaust sound. If there is a repetitive clacking sound during that scenario, I would suspect it is just the cackle of the engine through the stock perf-core mufflers.

Randy, I know my cars & I'll assure you, this is not an exhaust noise - it's engine related. I have the dealer checking into this to see if there is a TSB for this symptom, plus a couple folks at Chrysler. If it is nothing to worry about, I want to know - I can live with it. But if it is something that will cause issues over time, I want to take care of it.

-Eric

mjb4450
03-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Mine was pretty noisey at idle outside the car. Seemed like right front engine. Didn't hear it inside. Got much quieter after 500-600 miles though.

randycat99
03-30-2012, 01:35 PM
No worries, Powerstick...you should get something like that checked out. I was just trying to speak to the notion that such a noise is not typical for a normal running Hemi, IMO.

stlpap
03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
I have that same tic sound in my engine. I have a six speed and it is noticeable at idle and low in the RPM range 1700-2000. Some days its worse than others. When I remove the engine cover the tapping noise appears to be coming from the valve covers.

Prior to the Challenger I had a Charger with the 5.7 engine and it was the same way. I took it back to the dealership thinking, no new car should sound like this. The service manager had one of the techs run a complete diagnostic check on the engine and he didn't find anything wrong. He advised me that he heard several Charger owners mention the Hemi tapping sound. I guess its something some of the 5.7 engines have.

Take it to a local dealership or some one you can trust and have the noise checked out they might find something. If they find something wrong please post it on Challenger Talk.

laurag146
03-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Mine makes a "ticking" sound. It was annoying to both my husband and I when we first got the car. Now I'm so used to it so I don't notice it much anymore and I was told that all Hemi's tick. I'll have to pay attention next time I drive because I think I only notice it when not accelerating.

turner56
03-30-2012, 01:59 PM
I think it's just the injectors. You can hear it a few seconds into the clip. The rest is just garbled from a bad mic.

WP_20120330_204642Z.mp4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQaMEq9Ur-E&feature=youtu.be)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_0UCg4_4e4&feature=youtu.be

Powerstick
03-30-2012, 02:13 PM
No worries, Powerstick...you should get something like that checked out. I was just trying to speak to the notion that such a noise is not typical for a normal running Hemi, IMO.

No problem - I knew what you meant. The exhaust on this car is so quiet though, there's nothing to be "drowned out" by exhaust noise IMO. I'll be taking care of that very soon with 4 of my chambered mufflers. THEN we'll have a complete muscle car!

Rumblefish50
03-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure exactly what the "Hemi tick" is.

Mine makes a very fast clicking sound at idle that I would best describe as sounding like a bicycle chain moving fast over a sprocket.

I'm not a mechanic so I haven't tried to diagnose it, just figured it's probably the "Hemi tick". Timing chain or something like that?

This engine definately makes some wierd noises at low rpm but otherwise runs like a champ.

I just wrote it off as Hemi-ness.../shrug

AdamsRT
03-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Yea this exact noise starting freaking me out yesterday. I took engine cover off before I went over to my friends to change thermostat and after I start engine (never had good open running w engine cover off) and I heard that tick.... I'm thinking what could I have done. I checked my oil and all other fluids while i was at it and still did it. I put engine cover back on and can't hear it. I think its probably always been there and I never noticed. Sounded like a few Junkers I had in high school when they were on deaths door.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Fast Freight
03-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Mine has had these sounds since new, and at 1378 miles (6 months) I just had it's first oil change. Put 5W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic in it and I swear it has quieted down in a major way.....So I have to believe it's related to lifter tap in some way......

laurag146
03-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Mine has had these sounds since new, and at 1378 miles (6 months) I just had it's first oil change. Put 5W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic in it and I swear it has quieted down in a major way.....So I have to believe it's related to lifter tap in some way......

I can believe that. My 2010 Equinox with the 4 cylinder had a very loud tick, (much different than the Chally,) they all do. After the first oil change with better stuff it didn't go away but was much less noticeable. Lots of owners thought so anyway.

Yogi Bear
03-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Hemi tick is prevalent only below 1,500 rpm.

thisisnotahonda
03-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Mine does it. Going from a rotary powered car to a hemi, it scared the crap out of me. It's normal.

WasRTnowSRT
04-01-2012, 06:19 AM
i just picked mine up and it does it as well....i was actually considering making a thread about it...glad i looked first :D

Powerstick
04-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Well, I drove my 2012 Hemi Ram yesterday & really listened for the engine "sounds" - heard nothing but sweet V-8. The Challenger engine (I'm assuming it is) sounds VERY different. Like someone posted above, sounds like it's low on oil starting at about 3,000 RPM. There is no ticking at idle & low RPM's on mine.

Still, no answer from my friend who is recently retired from Chrysler & his buddy he forwarded my E-mail to. They both worked on this program & are engineering-types.

laurag146
04-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Just remembered, kind of funny. We first test drove a Tungsten Grey 6 speed R/T and it had the rear end whine bad. We came back in and our salesman and the sales manager were both standing there and when we told them that and that we wanted to see another car because of it they both said at the same time - "They all do it! It's the hemi tick. Lots of people complain about it." lol We said noooo this is different, it does that too. They had never heard of the rear end whine.

WasRTnowSRT
04-11-2012, 03:47 PM
any new info on this? ive since had an oil change with mobil1 5w 20 but the tick is still there....

Powerstick
04-12-2012, 05:10 AM
any new info on this? ive since had an oil change with mobil1 5w 20 but the tick is still there....

I've heard nothing new on this. Stoney, we should get together sometime to compare the sounds of our engines since we are so close to each other - I'm about 7 miles from US-23 & M-59. I would like to do this before I re-do the exhaust system with my mufflers on the car - will be much easier to hear. Is your exhaust still stock?

BTW, my 2012 Ram Hemi engine sounds quite different from my Challenger engine.

-Eric (Highland, MI.)

stevewhiteparts
04-12-2012, 05:51 AM
the majoiry all have a tick, the sound is prevalent at low speeds and idle, my wife 2012 does it, seems more common on auto transmission cars, also the 12's seem to do it more than earlier models, maybe calibration or more agressive mds systems, dont know

also checked for bulletins or cases, none found

Luke

HemiEd
04-14-2012, 03:26 AM
Mine doesn't have it most of the time, just occasionally at start up.

WasRTnowSRT
04-14-2012, 06:25 AM
yea it seems to come and go a bit oddly enough. the first time i took my friends for a ride, he thought something was wrong with the motor(i did too at first)...kinda embarrassing when its a brand new ride...

sta2012rt
04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
hey everybody, just purchased a 2012 rt 6speed with 27 miles. at around 75 miles a engine tick started, i grew up in a machine shop and agree that it sounds like a solid lifter engine noise. This is not gonna work for me and dealer has showed no interest in fixing the issue. As i have only had the car 5 days i hate to return it and get a refund but in this state thats legal. Has anybody on here gotten any response about this issue?

2011Cuda
06-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Hemi tick is prevalent only below 1,500 rpm.

When my car is at idle I hear nothing. When the car has a load on it you hear tapping on the left front cylinder head area of the engine. Taking it to the dealer after my suspension is looked at on Monday.

BayStateChallenger
06-22-2012, 08:03 PM
The "Hemi Tick" is well documented among Ram owners. No, you are not imagining things and you are not crazy. It is there. I don't have it (or at least not noticeable) in my '12 R/T but it is there in my 04 Ram 2500, to a point. It doesn't happen on every engine, but realistically it's not a sign of impending doom, either. From what I can tell, it's not lifter or rocker arm clatter, it's injector noise. A lot of them do it.

On earlier model 5.7's, there were some issues with broken valve springs (04, 05) and some owners opted to install the heavier 6.1L springs. If you research, this is a (somewhat) common issue. As far as I know, the issue was resolved (for the most part) in later 5.7's (06-up). Some people who noticed "the tick", and it was loud, also found that one or more of the valve springs were broken, but again, as far as I know this was particular to 04's and 05's.

I know the "tick" you're talking about, I hear it every time I drive my Ram. 2004 Ram 2500, almost 80K, and no problems. Synthetic oil won't fix it. At least in my case it made no difference. I've been using Mobil 1 since about 20K miles. But honestly, I don't think it's a huge problem because I believe it's noise created by the injectors.

Don't know if this is allowed, but I'm going to throw it out there. If you go to www.dodgetalk.com, and check the Ram truck forums, there are many, many threads about the "Hemi Tick". Could be good information. Seems like more of an annoyance than anything. Never an issue on my truck other than noise, which, honestly, is drowned out by the Flowmaster exhaust.

If the moderators don't allow recommending another forum I understand and have no problem with deleting the information.

Slosh
06-23-2012, 05:36 AM
Mine doesn't have it most of the time, just occasionally at start up.Mine too. For 3.5 years I had no "Hemi tick" whatsoever, but heard it on other peoples' cars. Now I get it sometimes on a cold start, but it only lasts about 5-10 seconds and doesn't do it again unless I let the car sit for several days (I only drive it on my days off). FWIW, I switched to full-synth 5W/20 at 5,000 miles.

randycat99
06-23-2012, 09:13 AM
I don't think what people are hearing is "injector noise", or there would be no such specific thing as "Hemi" tick, in the first place...all cars have that tick. Fuel injectors do make a ticking noise, but that is a different thing from the sound that some people attribute particularly to Hemi's.

Afaict, the fuel injector tick has a very high pitch (more like the sound of an electrical spark), and is pretty consistently present under any engine operation condition (cold, hot, idle, revs). "Hemi tick" is a lower pitch (I would describe it more as a "dink"), softer sound, sort of like if somebody was gently tapping the engine block with a little, plastic hammer from the inside. It typically disappears after a few minutes of engine running (if it even appeared, to begin with), and is pretty well masked from detection the moment you rev any where beyond idle rpm (due to increasing regular engine noise).

YouTube videos of this sound are nearly impossible to convey the right meaning because it is like, "Listen to this sound", but it is inherently a video of a running engine where many sounds are occurring. The listener has no idea which sound they are supposed to be picking out.

dlefont
06-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I always thought it was the mds kicking in?

laurag146
06-23-2012, 09:20 PM
I always thought it was the mds kicking in?

Nope, I don't have a MDS...6 speed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2011Cuda
06-26-2012, 02:47 PM
When my car is at idle I hear nothing. When the car has a load on it you hear tapping on the left front cylinder head area of the engine. Taking it to the dealer after my suspension is looked at on Monday.

Follow up:

Dealer says that it is the headers leaking. However, it doesn't make the ticking sound constantly or at low revs. It does make the ticking sound at start up and high revs. Also, I had the shorty headers put on the car with the standard mid pipe and cats because it was making this ticking noise (had to remove Kooks long headers and high flow cats).

Took the car to two different shops and both said it was the lifters. One of the shops has a good relationship with a Dodge dealer and called them and explained the situation to them. I have an appointment tomorrow at this dealer to have the car looked at. Although this dealer is an hour away from me.

I was told that the Dodge dealer I took the car to probably didn't want to do the work because it would take about three days and then they would have to wait for Dodge to reimburse them. I figured warranty work would be like gold. Your guaranteed to get paid. Will see what happen tomorrow.

Flat Top
06-26-2012, 04:21 PM
No tick here, Not at start up cold or hot.
FlatTop

2011Cuda
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
New update:

Different Dodge dealer said it's the headers leaking. Told me to use the Dodge gasket and locking nut, such as Stage 8, and if it still making the noise bring it back. I now plan on putting the Kooks long headers back on because they said I have only voided my warranty on the exhaust and not the engine.

thisisnotahonda
06-28-2012, 03:38 AM
New update:

Different Dodge dealer said it's the headers leaking. Told me to use the Dodge gasket and locking nut, such as Stage 8, and if it still making the noise bring it back. I now plan on putting the Kooks long headers back on because they said I have only voided my warranty on the exhaust and not the engine.

If it's loud enough to hear over the exhaust at high rpm, then ya you may have a problem....

2011Cuda
06-28-2012, 07:23 AM
If it's loud enough to hear over the exhaust at high rpm, then ya you may have a problem....

It's loud enough to hear over the exhaust at high rpm. It doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. Once I have the headers installed the way the dealer recommended and it's still making the noise it's going back to the dealer. Just sucks that I am getting the run around. Two different shops I took the car to said it was the lifters and not the exhaust.

After all this goes down and I still get the run around, I see a 302 Boss in the future. BTW, my challenger only has 5987 miles on it. It was 5809 until I had to drive it from shop to shop and dealer to dealer.

Devin
08-08-2012, 09:55 PM
yah im getting the same noise on my brand new rt its a constant tick that is very audible to the point where it reverberates off of parked cars and houses and gets faster as the rpms go up its very anoiing

randycat99
08-09-2012, 12:13 PM
That doesn't sound like the markings of any classic Hemi tick I've read about. It shouldn't be any louder than barely distinguishable above idle noise, afaik.

If you have a full-out lifter noise that you can hear while the engine moves the car, you should get that inspected pronto. That ought to stand-out like nobody's business...not something the dealer can just easily dismiss as normal sound. If in doubt, ask to hear one of their cars.

Blue Streak Dave
08-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Mine has a pretty loud tick also 600 miles on it. It was loud enough I checked the oil. It was still full. I have good oil pressure. Some times it seems louder than other times. Runs great though. Just a little noisy some times. Its not as bad a the 1st gen 5.3 chevys though, those didnt tick they nocked.

laurag146
08-09-2012, 07:45 PM
I was 1 of the first posters on this thread saying mine has this noise...
Well it doesn't anymore, I haven't noticed it for a long time. I don't know if it just went away before my first oil change or after but it's been a while since I've heard it. My challenger has around 5,300 miles on it. When the car was new it was very noticeable and annoying but it is completely gone now.

It reminds me of my 2010 chevy equinox. The 4 banger model has a distinctive tick to it but after changing the oil for the first time with Mobil 1 full synthetic it completely went away.

SRT Wasp
08-09-2012, 08:41 PM
I had it on my 2010 RT from the time I took delivery until I traded. It never got any worse or better.

I have it on the SRT. It started after a few hundred km - same as the RT but not quite as loud.

Both cases it would manifest when cruising around 1800 RPM give or take. I was able to hear it from the right when passing by buildings, walls, etc.

It has been well documented and discussed to death on this forum. No catastrophic issues (such as timing chains) I have seen.

I remember all of the mechanical noises you could here back in the day from earlier Mopars. This noise does not bother me.

Ticky Ticky Chally Chally :bangin:

Slosh
08-10-2012, 04:22 AM
Mine didn't do it at all for the first 3.5 years I owned it. Now sometimes I'll get it just for a few seconds at a cold start. This morning I thought I would get it, as I haven't driven it in 6 days, but there was no tick. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, at least with my particular engine.

skelengerj
08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Friday I bought a 2010 RT 6 speed with 18K, same noise; I immediately checked the oil:)
I guess after reading this thread that it is nothing to worry about. However this is the 139th Mopar I've owned (still have 11) and it is the worst in the noisy Engine department. It runs pretty sweet though and is faster than all my other Mopars except my 68 440 Wagon (many mods).
The noise is rather embarassing, I hope it goes away eventually if not I'm opting for louder pipes!

laurag146
10-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I spoke too soon. My noise is back with a vengeance. It sounds like lifter noise from the passenger side only, during all driving. I'm scared to take it to the dealership. I don't want my baby taken apart. :(

SRT Wasp
10-03-2012, 06:48 PM
I will get wifie to run it by me to see how it sounds from the exterior - lots of moving parts in these puppies - not worried though.

Search the forum for "Hemi Tick" lots to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

RAMY54
10-06-2012, 07:45 AM
I have a 2012 RT I just picked up in May and I hear the same noise in my engine. It is more noticeable at higher RPM. It is a little annoying and sounds like lifter noise to me as well.

laurag146
10-06-2012, 12:44 PM
It is more noticeable at higher RPM. It is a little annoying and sounds like lifter noise to me as well.
Same here. It's not a startup noise for me, like others have mentioned.

sanitarium16
10-08-2012, 09:53 AM
The infamous "HEMI TICK". Its normal. My 2010 Grand Cherokee HEMI did it. I traded that in for the 2012 Challanger r/t and it does it too. I have a little over 2,000 miles. It's annoying when your next to walls but other than that don't worry about it.

ZardozSpeakstoYou
10-09-2012, 12:39 PM
I will have to admit there is a bit of valvetrain noise I notice from my hemi as well. Not so much of a tick as just it sounds like noisey valvetrain on the right side of the engine. Ive got an 05 hemi in my Dodge truck and never heard that noise. Im not going to worry about it but will keep monitoring it.

Saltydog
03-22-2013, 06:37 PM
My 2012 R/T auto has this ticking sound. I've had it in to the dealership who said they hooked it up to their computer and no codes or errors are being reported. I think that there are probably various tolerances that the computer checks for and if it falls within those specs then there's no issue. The ticking seems to get louder the longer it runs in a constant driving situation. I took it back to the dealer and they basically refuse to look at it again unless a check engine light comes on. This is total BS. Called Dodge and filed my complaint on their refusal to re-check it. At Dodge's advice, I'll be taking it to another dodge dealer and independent mechanics to get opinions. Also bought a stethoscope tonight to hopefully get a better idea of where it may be coming from. I've got about 1300 miles and it has been doing this since about 200 miles. I haven't put any hard runs on the car yet, but I think I'll go for a couple runs to see if she's performing.

stevec3201
03-23-2013, 03:35 AM
If you are worried, have it checked. Mine has that "lifter" tick as well and I like it, because it reminds me of a 440 I had when I was a teenager. There is nothing you can do to make the lifter tick go away. American muscle at it's finest!

westu37
03-24-2013, 05:12 AM
has anyone tried a thicker oil? 5w-20 is a little thin. Maybe a 5w-40?

Wes

stevec3201
03-24-2013, 06:10 AM
has anyone tried a thicker oil? 5w-20 is a little thin. Maybe a 5w-40?

Wes

The engine is designed for 5w20 and that is the ONLY oil you should use.

diver88
03-25-2013, 09:43 AM
I test drove several 2012's new and one sounded like it had an outright exhaust manifold leak on the
passenger side, without a doubt.... you could hear it bigtime from inside the car.

one 2012 5.7L I drove just sounded like a noisy drivetrain, couldn't hear it from inside the car, just outside.

another had a very noticible "tick" at idle that sounded like a 65 Chevy 283 with a bad lifter, but couldn't hear it while driving and I think it got better after warming up.

the sales dudes said the Hemi was just a noisy engine and I believe them after hearing several but I think I might recognize something other than normal..and that first one was not normal.

I test drove a 2013 Mustang and after driving a few minutes got out and it sounded like it had a stuck lifter... so maybe all of these newer engines make some noises since they all use 5/20w or 0/20w oil anymore.

as said here, I've read in other threads once some owners change to full synthetic oil or change to a longer
oil filter the "tick" goes away. ?? some here say no, a different issue then?

might be an answer somewhere else but for those who know, how different is the overall architecture of the 392 different than the 345? doesn't the 392 call for heavier oil even in the MDS auto models? I've read
to NEVER put anything in the 5.7L other than 5-20w because of the MDS, so how come it's ok in the 6.4L with MDS? just trying to get a few concepts straight in my mind.

thanks..

USRWDV8
03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
My auto R/T is noisy too. Less so at 5K miles than new, but still. People say it's a modern engine thing and not to worry, but my Charger, also a 5.7, was quiet. Took me to get the Challenger to finally understand what people call the 'Hemi tick'. Sounds like valvetrain to me, not injectors or exhaust, but I'm no mechanic.

So I talked to my (independent) mechanic about oil thickness and he said that it's not only an MDS matter. The thinner oil is required because of the tight tolerances, which is why 5W-20 is also recommended for the manual, unless it's for standardization's sake. This may account for some noisiness, but again, why was my Charger so quiet, then? I switched to synthetic (Mobil 1) after 500 miles, by the way, and it hasn't made any noticeable difference. I may experiment with 5W-30 once I can disable the MDS for good on my '13.
Oh, and I just checked and Dodge recommends 0W-40 on the SRT. :dunno:

I'm pissed at the monster we created by putting computers in cars: inept and tone-deaf techs who only care about what computer and sensors 'say' and faulty sensors that give falses or don't alert you. But that's just the way it is and it's only getting worse. My M.O. is then to accept the BS line that things are normal because the car 'says' so, do the 'man thing' (loud exhaust and cranked up radio), and hope that the car craps out while still under warranty. Then I can just enjoy the look of surprise on their face: "Huh. Never saw that one before!".

You can't go crazy over every little noise. Maybe some tolerances stack up and create certain quirks on some cars. The fact that so many are noisy is almost reassuring.

nikivee1954
03-25-2013, 10:57 AM
I have a 2013 R/T 6 speed. Mine also has that solid lifter sound. At first I was concerned, but I now have around 2k miles on the car and it runs awesome! I don't even notice it anymore.

dynodon
03-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Injectors are also noisy especially at cold idle....some what normal .....should diminish when engine at operating temp, also with mileage ....don't worry ...it won't leave you stranded

The Chromer
03-25-2013, 11:30 AM
This is just another issue that keeps putting Chrysler in Bankrupcy, Poor poor poor Quality Control, at least at GM and Ford when you had a problem of lets say a ticking Shelby or SS Camaro engine, everyone's engine in a certain build frame all had the same sound and at the same RPM or speed etc and Ford or GM would acknowledge the problem and fix it, not so with MOPAR ( Move Over Park And Repair ) WAKE UP everyone, brand new Hemi's do not make ticking noise so loud your buddy asks if your low on oil or is that a solid lifter car, Dodge dealers have said some do it some don't, if it was a real so called Hemi tick, they all would do it, it would sound the same, it would do it at the same RPM range etc. I feel sorry for everyone that has it, the louder ones will be put out of their misery sooner i'm sure, and when it sucks a lifter on a mid to hard launch at least you'll have a Warrantee on the car even tho it will take a Lawyer to get it fixed. Now for the people who have the quiet tick that comes and go's those are the scary ones, the car probably won't break until it's out of Warrantee, worse is when you go to trade it in, the used car manager has never heard about "the hemi tick" and tells you your motor is shot and that's why he's giving you a low trade in value and by the way he will tell you that he's doing you a favor getting you out of that car before it leaves you on the side of the road with a huge repair bill, and by the way to Powerstick, chrysler doesn't have many TSB's or recalls, you usually have to open a case to get anything done and your chrysler friend probably won't call you back knowing you have a problem, Good Luck Eric. The next 50 grand I spend on a car won't be in a Chrysler store

RTChallenger13
03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I have a 2013 R/T 6 speed. Mine also has that solid lifter sound. At first I was concerned, but I now have around 2k miles on the car and it runs awesome! I don't even notice it anymore.

same. I've read threads for several different Chrysler Corp. product lines that have the 5.7, and other than the noise complaint, I see no serious issues or failures as a direct result of the noise. After this many years of the 5.7, I think if there was any common failures or durability issues, they would have reared their heads already.

sbct6
03-25-2013, 08:31 PM
My '07 Ram with 5.7 hemi also had the tick from day one and I put 100,000 problem free miles on that baby! People have been complaining about the tick for years but aside from some people finding it annoying, I never hear anything about it leading to any type of engine failure.

I do find it weird though that even brand new still on the lot hemi's have different varying degrees of tick even straight from the factory.

H3Mi R/T
03-29-2013, 02:12 PM
I have hemi tick at idle but wide open throttle i dont notice it

judgeschambers
09-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Both cases it would manifest when cruising around 1800 RPM give or take. I was able to hear it from the right when passing by buildings, walls, etc.

It has been well documented and discussed to death on this forum. No catastrophic issues (such as timing chains) I have seen.

Old thread but my 2 cents.

2012 RT 6spd with 6800 miles. Just bought it certified from Dodge 3 weeks ago.
Too enamored with the new ride to notice and with the radio on. But caught a little sound now and then. Then the other day I reaaaally listened.

It's not the injectors...too tinny a sound and from a different location. Along with the general "header" tick from the exhaust pipes up front, there's is a tap or dink. Very metal sounding. Like a lifter, valve guide or rocker. This is one or two making it on the right side louder than the other 14 with their general Hemi Tick. It comes and it goes. More so like above 1800 RPM and when passing buildings, curbs etc. Beyond that RPM it goes away best I can tell. Runs fine. Though, the engine overall is "noisy," and is everything all posters have mentioned previously.

Was worried, but after reading this and talking with others...sounds like the Hemi Tick.

Kruzin
09-18-2013, 11:39 AM
I have it on my '13.
Hear it more when you pull off the engine cover.....which is only there to muffle the noise.
It a normal characteristic of these Hemis.
Some do it, some don't.
Not really an issue I'm concerned with, always been this way.
We sell boatloads of these lifters to ppl trying to quiet them down, and IMO, they are wasting their money.

It's part of the Hemi experience :p

But I sell parts, and if they wanna buy em, I'll sell em ;)

W30post
09-24-2013, 05:42 AM
What about the cars that experience a lot of noise after being parked? I hear some noise in my 13 RT stick car everyday at start-up and while driving. I have left it in my garage for 5 days and not heard any noise out of the ordinary. I have an off site storage facility I use some times. If I park it there overnight, 2 different occasions, it rattles for around 5 to 15 seconds on start-up much worse than anything I have heard from this engine. It almost sounds like the oil pump lost its prime. Have no idea why it only happens over at this storage facility, concrete floor and probably slightly warmer than home garage but that is about it. I cannot reproduce this sound at my home.

Otherwise, when I first bought this car one of the Camaro owners said to me, that thing is knocking when it was still relatively new under 1000 miles. We have a 08 Magnum and it doesn't sound like this car. Dealer claims normal engine noise is present.

70monte
09-24-2013, 07:23 PM
The new 2013 R/T that I test drove was fairly noisy as well as the 2013 R/T that a friend of mine owns. His tic is pretty loud and sounds like a bad lifter. At the time I heard his car, he only had about 6,900 miles on it.

Wayne

mposnerc51
12-20-2013, 07:02 AM
I have 2013 6spd with 5k miles and just noticed the "Hemi tick" coming from the passenger side of the engine. I mostly notice it when decelerating from high rpm. So far I have one "mystery dent" and the "Hemi tick." I wonder what's next?

stevec3201
12-20-2013, 07:09 AM
I have 2013 6spd with 5k miles and just noticed the "Hemi tick" coming from the passenger side of the engine. I mostly notice it when decelerating from high rpm. So far I have one "mystery dent" and the "Hemi tick." I wonder what's next?

If you drive like me, new rear tires are next. I just put a set on and I didn't cross 5K yet! My "tick" doesn't bother me and I have no dents.

Woz10
12-20-2013, 07:42 AM
2013 R/T 6spd, 7500 miles. Mine ticks at idle but that doesn't bother me to much. If you hold it at 3000 rpms though you can really hear it in that range - that is when it annoys me. I'm trying to feel out the local dealers still to see if I feel like any of them will actually look into it if I ask them to check the car out.

I've had the car since new and it runs great. When you accelerate hard you blow right through that 3k range without noticing it (plus the stock exhaust has really gotten louder over time). But if you drive it and keep it around 3k it's really noticable.

Anybody elses like this ? I've got the extended warranty ... and plan on trading it in if the 2015's look enticing ... but it still annoys me sometimes.

1QKRT
12-20-2013, 07:52 AM
This is just another issue that keeps putting Chrysler in Bankrupcy, Poor poor poor Quality Control, at least at GM and Ford when you had a problem of lets say a ticking Shelby or SS Camaro engine, everyone's engine in a certain build frame all had the same sound and at the same RPM or speed etc and Ford or GM would acknowledge the problem and fix it, not so with MOPAR ( Move Over Park And Repair ) WAKE UP everyone, brand new Hemi's do not make ticking noise so loud your buddy asks if your low on oil or is that a solid lifter car, Dodge dealers have said some do it some don't, if it was a real so called Hemi tick, they all would do it, it would sound the same, it would do it at the same RPM range etc. I feel sorry for everyone that has it, the louder ones will be put out of their misery sooner i'm sure, and when it sucks a lifter on a mid to hard launch at least you'll have a Warrantee on the car even tho it will take a Lawyer to get it fixed. Now for the people who have the quiet tick that comes and go's those are the scary ones, the car probably won't break until it's out of Warrantee, worse is when you go to trade it in, the used car manager has never heard about "the hemi tick" and tells you your motor is shot and that's why he's giving you a low trade in value and by the way he will tell you that he's doing you a favor getting you out of that car before it leaves you on the side of the road with a huge repair bill, and by the way to Powerstick, chrysler doesn't have many TSB's or recalls, you usually have to open a case to get anything done and your chrysler friend probably won't call you back knowing you have a problem, Good Luck Eric. The next 50 grand I spend on a car won't be in a Chrysler store

Sadly, I think this guy is right! I don't know why these cars do this. Both my Challengers did this, 2014 & 2010. But my Ram 2012 didn't have the tic.

Killawatts
12-20-2013, 09:08 AM

What is this incoherent nonsense? Oh my god, the engine makes noise, it's a sign of imminent failure! Except the fact that there is no evidence whatsoever supporting that notion, in fact, there's plenty against it. You think just because you believe it, it's a fact, much like a child would.

Yes, please go trade in your noisy Challenger and buy a Mustang so you can plague their forums instead of this one.

Sometimes I wonder, how people so stupid, can come to afford a car like this.

Woz10
12-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Yikes ! Harsh !

Ohgeez
12-20-2013, 09:49 AM
I've tested out different grades of gas and when I use premium, the tick goes away.

Two tanks of premium : No tick
Two tanks of medium grade: slight intermittent tick.
Two tanks of low grade : consistent ticking. Not loud but I can hear it.

So I've just decided to use premium. Just my experience.

Killawatts
12-20-2013, 10:32 AM
I've tested out different grades of gas and when I use premium, the tick goes away.

Two tanks of premium : No tick
Two tanks of medium grade: slight intermittent tick.
Two tanks of low grade : consistent ticking. Not loud but I can hear it.

So I've just decided to use premium. Just my experience.

Interesting. Never thought of that, even though I always use premium, I wonder if I should try a different station.

Woz10
12-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Yeah. I used 87 for maybe the first month or so of owning the car. Now I use 93 and almost fill up at shell in my town. I did notice a mileage and slight performance difference but never any ticking difference.

RTChallenger13
12-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Sadly, I think this guy is right! I don't know why these cars do this. Both my Challengers did this, 2014 & 2010. But my Ram 2012 didn't have the tic.

intakes are different between the challenger and the ram. I bet this has everything to do with it. With the sheer number of 5.7s in vehicles I have yet to see conclusive evidence that shows the hemi tick is detrimental to the life of the engine.

DodgeHemi61
12-31-2013, 10:11 PM
When I purchased my 13 Challenger the engine was quiet, until around 5K miles then I started to hear the famous hemi tick. Now at 6K the tick has not gone away, but is not getting any louder. I took a 3/4" hose and listened all around the engine and the noise seams to be coming from the injectors.
I took it to the dealer before I put it up for winter, and they said they could hear a little noise and want me to bring it back to put it on the computer. The thing that gets me is my 07 Ram has 60K on it and the engine is as quiet as the day I purchased it.
Maybe in the spring I will put the stock tune back in it and take it in. The ticking started a month before I got the tuner for it.

Challengerawi
01-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Im experiencing the same thing on my 13 RT more of a metal noise at high rpms only. So, if this noise does not harm anything then I can live with it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Landjet
01-03-2014, 07:59 AM
My 3rd & 4th Gen Rams both with a 5.7L didn't tick like my challenger does. Kinda sounds like solid lifters

Challengerawi
01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm sure what I'm hearing is not the Hemi tick! The noise is loud and easily noticed at high rpms. Funny is when I use the paddle shifting the noise is not there!

Kruzin
01-03-2014, 02:41 PM
They tick.
That's how it is.
And Challenger owners like to do things like remove the cheasy engine cover, or do 1/2 covers, add CAIs n other stuff....these things all make the tick more audible in the cabin...
I know I can hear the engine tick more now than before I started modding...and it doesn't worry me at all...

Kruzin
01-03-2014, 02:44 PM
For this one, I'd get it into a dealership.

I'm sure what I'm hearing is not the Hemi tick! The noise is loud and easily noticed at high rpms. Funny is when I use the paddle shifting the noise is not there!

Challengerawi
01-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Ok here is some interesting news. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer to take my car in for the noise. Before going I plugged the Trinity in and restored the stock tune. Then, i took it for a run and surprisingly, the noise is gone!!! I tried accelerating many times and still as if the noise was never there!

Of course, I cancelled the appointment with the dealer as I appreantly have nothing to fix. But, now I'm thinking was this because I turned the MDS off? And if so, has anyone with an A5 experienced the same thing before?

DTru
01-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Ok here is some interesting news. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer to take my car in for the noise. Before going I plugged the Trinity in and restored the stock tune. Then, i took it for a run and surprisingly, the noise is gone!!! I tried accelerating many times and still as if the noise was never there!

Of course, I cancelled the appointment with the dealer as I appreantly have nothing to fix. But, now I'm thinking was this because I turned the MDS off? And if so, has anyone with an A5 experienced the same thing before?

Were you monitoring your ST knock while tuned? I cant think of anything that the tune changes that would cause a tick.

My tick comes from my injectors.

Challengerawi
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Were you monitoring your ST knock while tuned? I cant think of anything that the tune changes that would cause a tick.

My tick comes from my injectors.

I actually never monitored the knock. I will upload the tune again and start logging. But, can you tell me what to look for while monitoring the ST knock?

DTru
01-07-2014, 11:39 AM
I actually never monitored the knock. I will upload the tune again and start logging. But, can you tell me what to look for while monitoring the ST knock?

I would log ST and LT knock along with misfires (total and each cyl). Other than that I have no idea what would cause noise. 1-2 st is ok, anything over I would try to rid.

judgeschambers
01-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Auto or Stick, they all tick. Some more or worse than others. Don't confuse this with the injectors ticking equally on both sides either. And yes, if you remove the engine cover the injector tick is much louder.

Being a hobby mechanic and designed and assembled many drag engines over the years, I would consider my Hemi tick a "lifter tick" or "valve guide" tick due to volume and the heaviness of the metallic sound. Plus, mine is on only the driver side too.

I posted my experiences a few pages back, but I have now had the chance to listen to other Hemi cars and they are generally noisy engines and some have ticked like mine. Some have not. Some on the right, some on the left, and some on both. Some come and go. Some higher or lower RPM per their owners. Took mine to the dealer and they agreed there is a tick ( I was shocked), but said it's normal vs all the others they hear. Plus, they say they get a lot of owners coming in asking about it. All normal.

Conclusion:
It's all inherent to the Hemi engine. I don't like how it sounds. Sounds like it's low on oil or bad lifter or guide. Vs my 600 HP 455 Pontiac engine from 1970 that is perfectly silent mechanically...that Hemi is a noisy mess and is about to come apart. But no its not. :icon_razz:

Hey, if you're worried...take it to the dealer or pull the valve covers off yourself and check the lash and push rods for straightness.

jford21
01-09-2014, 04:45 PM
I took my car in for the same thing. Mechanic said he could hear something but they never looked into it further and gave me the car back. My 14 has 2500 miles on it now and it isnt as bad as it was. I do notice when its cold outside the tick is more prevalent.

I was kinda pissed off and annoyed at first, but over time it has gotten better and I realize that it is normal for these engines.

USRWDV8
01-09-2014, 05:09 PM
I can't find a rhyme or reason for why my car is noisier at certain times than others. Total crapshoot. But it did get better after 4-5,000 miles, IIRC. I now have almost 20K and the Charger that I had before was bought at 44.5K and was very quiet so I hope that with higher mileage all the interferences will eventually wear themselves out. I hate vibrations and mechanical noises (it feels like something's always about to break) so this has been a PITA. Weather permitting I drive with the window down so I can't hear it, but that's a bandaid. Of course, when I had the Charger I thought that the Hemi tick was a myth and that owners were too fussy (I never said it, but I was thinking it)... :icon_lol:

DTru
01-10-2014, 05:53 AM
Just noticed this morning, no injector tick.... I dont know how long it has been gone (a week tops since I checked it out) but it has been running unusually stronger the past few days.

tattooed_pariah
01-10-2014, 11:39 AM
I recently noticed a... well, not loud, but noticable, ticking/tapping sound at idle in mine.. it doesn't happen all the time, but the first time i really noticed it, I had the windows up and stereo off, I was idling at work waiting for the exit gate to open for the parking lot..

It kinda worried me but I just brushed it off..

2009 Challenger R/T Manual, no mods except sequential tail lights and SRT8 intake vents (the louvers on the hood).

FWB
01-10-2014, 11:52 AM
I believe you hear it more often during cold weather. That's the case with my car.

toohyped
05-18-2014, 10:46 PM
About a year and a half ago I had the dealer address a loud clacking / ticking sound my Chally made at start up. Lasted for about 8 seconds then went away. Always happened at start up. Dealer had the engine tappets replaced. Fixed it for a while but it has started doing the same thing again. Sucks.