How do i keep neighbors cat off my car? [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: How do i keep neighbors cat off my car?

Lord Warlock
04-19-2012, 12:52 AM
I'm really getting pissed off, the neighbor has multiple cats that they let roam freely around the neighborhood, and for some damn reason they seem to enjoy jumping up on my cars and sleeping on the roof. I've caught them multiple times on both the car that sits out front (convertible top) and inside my garage on top of my challenger. I can't keep the garage door closed all the time, occasionally i must leave it open and invariably the cat figures out when the door is open it is an open invitation to walk up the hood, up the windshield, and lay down on the sunroof, leaving sandy paw prints all over the cars.

Short of locking it in the garage, cornering it, boxing it up and tossing it in the river to feed the alligators that live there, are there any tricks to keeping cats off of your cars? mothballs...sprays that i can put in a rag and keep on top to discourage this behavior? I never see the cats on the neighbors cars, just on mine. And i've taken it just about as far as ai can without getting nasty with the neighbor. Every time i see pawprints i want to whip out the bb gun and go cat hunting. I don't let my dogs run free and climb on their cars, i shouldn't have to put up with their cats coming into my garage and napping on MY challenger. (they don't like sleeping on the nissan, just the challenger or the Miata outside)

Open to suggestions that don't lead to dead animals.

I can always wait for them to get kicked out of their house...as its going into foreclosure, but that could take another year...and i'm not willing to put up with it that long.
I may catch it and call animal control, but this would surely lead to bad blood between the deadbeats next door and us who have lived here 20 years.

DRAG CITY
04-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Cats have a good memory and once hit with a blast of water they should stay clear of that area for good........

HOT ROD ON

Cuda Cliff
04-19-2012, 01:39 AM
I have a wife that LOVES cats and I do agree with Drag City there! My beautiful Wife has given me permission to squirt the local Toms with a shot from the water hose and those little furr balls remain off the cars!

:cat: meow

Cuda
04-19-2012, 04:16 AM
My cat was getting on my car so I waited in my house and when I noticed her on the car I used the remote start function to start it up and it spooked her so much that she thinks it's haunted and won't go near it now!!!

RRHemi
04-19-2012, 04:35 AM
1911 should do the trick!

sean65
04-19-2012, 05:20 AM
Get a squirt gun and have fun with it.

mattyj724
04-19-2012, 05:29 AM
I was going to say Sray the **** out of it.. Not a little squirt. Soak that damn furball. They should stay away.

JustForFun
04-19-2012, 06:24 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dzi_8Rscfs

JFF:D

Madcoder
04-19-2012, 06:47 AM

lol. Just watch the paint

OmahaRumble
04-19-2012, 06:51 AM
I am having the same problem with robins. These damn birds, perch on my side view mirror, and proceed to continually run into the door and window, pecking at the paint and glass, and then taking a few massive dumps on my car! I will be at my families house for dinner, and literally run out and chase them away. Sure enough, a minute later there they are again!!! :headbang:

wvbob
04-19-2012, 06:55 AM
They like the taste of antifreeze, just sayin.

trev
04-19-2012, 07:41 AM
just be carful doing anything while the cat is on the car, you don't want it scratching the paint. you said you had a dog right?

well why dont you make use of that lazy thing and leave him in the garage a couple times while you got the door open. i mean unless you have one of those useless rat dogs that a cat can eat? lol

i keep my pit and my boxer right next to my challenger in my garage (kennel trained) i don't think any cats -- let alone a person -- would even dare come into my garage lol

Fuguar
04-19-2012, 08:12 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dzi_8Rscfs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dzi_8Rscfs)

LMAO.

The sunroof has a new purpose!

makingwaves
04-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Use a large trap to catch it next to the car. When you release it will not come back.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App

RoostKing
04-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Some pretty good ideas in here. Also, if there is no cat, there is no cat problem! :burnout:

crcarch
04-19-2012, 09:41 AM
I have a carport and the cats love the top of the cars, especially my wife's Crossfire convertible. I've tried hanging tinsel streamers above the car, motion activated lights and even a fan without success. However, I left my car duster on top of the roof one day and noticed no footprints the next day. I've been putting it back on top every night and haven't seen a footprint in weeks. I think, since the mop head may look like fur, they think it's some unknown animal.

dragons layer
04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Try these suggestions, no dead bodies! http://www.ehow.com/how_4548515_keep-cats-off-cars.html

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Cuda340
04-19-2012, 09:55 AM
I have a neighbor who has two roaming cats. I just keep a car cover (gray) on my Challenger at night. They don't seem to bother it now. I think that they preferred Hemi-orange.

SuBXeRo
04-19-2012, 10:23 AM
that was the most appauling commercial i have ever seen. I was kind of hoping that the moon roof was just gonna fling the cat away.,..not chop its head off. No wonder why kinds are violent.

09R/TPony
04-19-2012, 11:02 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dzi_8Rscfs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dzi_8Rscfs)

JFF:DI have tears running down my face!,...that is frick'n hilarious,...and will be the next sport I engage in.

Thanks for the abdominal work-out.

JustForFun
04-19-2012, 11:20 AM
that was the most appauling commercial i have ever seen. I was kind of hoping that the moon roof was just gonna fling the cat away.,..not chop its head off. No wonder why kinds are violent.

Sorry to offend. You do know it was only a commercial, right? But since you prefer the animal to be "flinged" away, please see below.

I have tears running down my face!,...that is frick'n hilarious,...and will be the next sport I engage in.

Thanks for the abdominal work-out.

You are welcome and thank you for your sense of humor. Here is another one they did for people who are having problems with birds near their cars. Apparently "flinging" them is in much better taste. LOL!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSex9VxlwI

Enjoy!

sdawson
04-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah, the good suggestions in this thread include
1) get a car cover and
2) get a squirt bottle

Ignore all the criminal & inhumane suggestions. C'mon ,humans can outsmart cats and birds.

Rakov
04-19-2012, 02:58 PM
I had a cat problem once!

TimberWolf
04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Live Animal Traps and Natural Animal Repellents | Havahart (http://www.havahart.com/) These traps catch them alive. Then it's up to you - animal control, release then 10 miles from home, make creative use of a large tub full of water . . .

Personally, I used high velocity .22 hollow points to solve a similar problem, and at the same time made $20 from an old lady down the block who put out a contract on a couple of cats that were attacking the birds in her bird feeder. She seemed pretty casual about it, too. I always wondered how her husband died, but decided not to ask.

raVenX
04-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Cats do not like: (1) aluminum foil; or (2) citrus smells. You could wash the car with lemon scented soap; or put a few strips of aluminum foil on the roof of the car to see if that helps solve the problem. For bold cats, you might try a search for portable IR motion detectors. Battery operated devices that you could set on the roof of the car or in the garage on shelf nearby pointed at the car roof and have it throw out a pitched wail if movement is detected. Might scare the little critter away. Cats don't have a very long attention span, so spraying them with water might work for the day, but in the end, the height and safety of the roof will attract him back. Cats will either seek out the safety of a covered bush on the ground or an area higher up where predators cannot reach them. So, you could also give in to the cat and create a space somewhere up high in the garage that is better than the car roof and he will naturally select it on his own.

Just my two cents.

Robo
04-19-2012, 04:18 PM
For the garage car get a Scat Mat - won't harm the cat and it will stay away.

Example:
Contech Scat Mats - Scat Mat for Dogs and Cat Scat Mat from petco.com (http://www.petco.com/product/12981/Contech-Scat-Mats.aspx?cm_mmc=GooglePKW-_-65-Contech%20Scat%20Mat%20%28964166%29-_-contech+scat+mat-_-xxx&gclid=CPW5wt6Fwq8CFcjb4Aodmn74ZA)

BLAKCART
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
You are in luck! I happen to run a pretty successful cat relocation service..... I am sure that cat would be just as happy released "into the wild" where they are happiest in a field about 20 miles from your house.... The cat is desperately asking you to please take it there by hopping onto the fastest way it knows to travel. Notice it's not camping out on some mustang?? To give you an idea of what this menace is capable, I pulled an excerpt from it's diary....

EXCERPTS FROM THIS CAT'S DIARY:
Day 183
My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal.
The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs.
In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair, must try this on their bed.
Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed about what a good little cat I was.
Hmmm, not working according to plan.
There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.
I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit.
The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time.

Finally, I have found a way out! I thought freedom was assured, but I am drawn to the most beautiful transport device located at another accomplice's house! I am lured by it's beauty and obvious speed, but cannot gain access! I am convinced this is the only means of escape, I go to it everyday, sometimes many times a day, in hopes that I can trick the owner to take me away. Maybe this collaborator does not know I need use of this "challenger"? I plan - no, vow - to come to this transport device every day like it's a challenge in hopes I can trick this fool into obeying my commands! I have left my request for reprieve in writing by placing muddy pawprints many times on the hood, but the owner ignores my requests! I even make sure to slide with all my might, so the paint will be permanently marked in case the mud gets washed off yet again! This transport device must have some sort of technology beyond my comprehension, as it is constantly clean. Every time I return, it is clean again! This is frustrating! This human knows no limits of torture! I only wish to go twenty miles to a field so the wild can accept my dominance there. I must gain access! I will attempt to scratch my way in through the shiny barrier. If I cannot, tomorrow I plan to pee in the vents so this collaborator will know I was there when he turns on the air conditioner! The key must be inside, so if I can just catch him leaving the window down, I will rip the interior apart in search of this key myself. I will then crap on the seats, and pee in the carpet to make sure this obviously retarded human understands my requests!

deranged
04-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Advice from someone who's neighborhood was over run with cats because of a neighbor who was doing the humane thing by feeding every stray cat or as it just so happened, rodent, raccoon, possum, skunk, with open containers left outside. Don't let your neighbors "pets" become your problem. I like being able to keep my garage door up or car window down when I feel like it without having a pet left to roam freely entering MY garage and marking his territory or climbing on or in MY vehicles. I keep my pet on a lead when outside, so should they. I am not their keeper.

Animal control would not leave live traps over the weekend because it wasn't "humane" to leave them caged for the weekend, so I humanely shot them...... they didn't suffer.

Cats are extremely allergic to lead.

Terrible, I know, but no longer MY problem.

R/TCLASSIC
04-19-2012, 05:12 PM
i have tried nearly every suggestion on this thread,and i can say judicious use of a 12 gauge works best.

birdboy
04-19-2012, 07:14 PM
when i had this problem i had an idea but wife didnt like it. so i got a have-a-heart trap and took it for a ride. not my first choice but hey no one got hurt and no one got charged :)

Lord Warlock
04-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Unfortunately, the two resident dogs currently living with us are smaller than the cats are, and pose no fear factor for the cats, they only stand their ground and laugh at my so called dogs, I liked having medium sized dogs that liked the taste of cat, but they also tended to like the taste of furniture, shoes, remote controls, and other necessary devices i keep around the house.

A 12 gauge shotgun is out as it would damage the car while trying to teach the cat a lesson. One of the reasons why i hesitate to use the daughters pellet pistol, which they feel is safe to shoot each other with, but worry about putting dings in the top of the car in my enthusiasm of educating neighborhood deviant cats.

While i do have remote start, i don't have a remote sunroof, loved the video of the sunroof eating the cats head. Maybe i'll try remote starting the next time i catch the cat inside the garage. pepper, and mothballs kind of punish everyone, not just cats. A squirt gun doesn't shoot far enough, although a super soaker would work, maybe i'll ask the neighbors with kids if i can borrow theirs.

I'll have to check out motion activated ultrasonic devices, if i can find a cheap one that actually works. with my luck it will just irritate the women in the house who can hear tones that i cannot already.

GlennW
04-19-2012, 08:09 PM
My wife runs a daycare at our house and so I made an 8'x8' sandbox with a canopy over the top to keep the sand dry. Well the cats in the neighborhood took right to the new "litter box". We then bought a live trap and began trapping them and turning them over to the police.
The funniest part was when the wife and I had the neighborhood crime watch meeting at our house and the officer began reading all of the incidents in the neighborhood, he came to our address and asked if he should read it aloud. We said "sure, go ahead" he read that 21 cats had been live trapped at our address and turned over to the police. When we explained to everyone why we did it, we added that if their children were in the daycare would they want them to play in a litter box? Nobody retaliated.

Shifty11
04-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Exactly this, or a little .22
Possibly less of a mess afterwards to clean up and hide from the neighbour, and most likely silenter. aha

shifty

BlueBolt
04-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Savage HMR 17

Kivuli
04-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Came home after my shift today to find cat pawprints all up my hood to my sunroof and several bird-bombs on my trunk. I swear if I'd seen the cat there at the time, he'd've met my OC spray. And I love cats, I just love my challenger more.

samlab
04-20-2012, 05:01 AM
Ok were going over the top on the suggesting harm 1911's .17hmr's, trapping, killing, disposal. Here's what you do....buy a car cover.

Cats on the roof keep the birds away.....I've never had a cat scratch a car ever.

I used to find the neighors cat sleeping inside when I left the roof open many years ago. Not anymore.

I have no problems with cats or dogs whatsoever......my indoor/outdoor cat used to sleep on and in my Ferrari all the time...no big deal. I bought a cover done.

Now, I use the remote start when they come to the bird feeder out front or they are near the car. They stopped coming after a few start ups......

Most hate water, some do, others love it......the hose or a spray bottle works great. Otherwise you stick your nose in the neighbors face and with humor explain that the cat is sleeping on your new car and that indoor cats live longer do to predation and disease anyhow.

Cats are smart as hell......and they learn really fast.....but a car cover with the inexpensive pads you can order that makes their paws feel weird works excellent for all animals.

Another thing that will work.....is put the cover on and place a few mouse traps on the cover.....one snap and they will never come back it also works on dogs that surf counter tops at home.

Anything more than that will get you into one hell of a legal issue that'll cost you the car in this day and age.

Good luck....try the easy stuff first if that doesnot work go the mouse trap method I assure you the cat napping appreciation for your good taste will cease. :stickpoke:

jim r
04-20-2012, 05:20 AM
A few years ago,I left for work in my winter beater.A few miles out,the charge light came on unexpectedly so I pulled over and popped the hood.Sure enough,the fan belt had blown off and right there was the carcass of my neighbor's cat.Well,I can only guess what happened but it had something to do with a cool evening and a cat seeking a warm spot.

RoostKing
04-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Ok were going over the top on the suggesting harm 1911's .17hmr's, trapping, killing, disposal. Here's what you do....buy a car cover.

Cats on the roof keep the birds away.....I've never had a cat scratch a car ever.

I used to find the neighors cat sleeping inside when I left the roof open many years ago. Not anymore.

I have no problems with cats or dogs whatsoever......my indoor/outdoor cat used to sleep on and in my Ferrari all the time...no big deal. I bought a cover done.

Now, I use the remote start when they come to the bird feeder out front or they are near the car. They stopped coming after a few start ups......

Most hate water, some do, others love it......the hose or a spray bottle works great. Otherwise you stick your nose in the neighbors face and with humor explain that the cat is sleeping on your new car and that indoor cats live longer do to predation and disease anyhow.

Cats are smart as hell......and they learn really fast.....but a car cover with the inexpensive pads you can order that makes their paws feel weird works excellent for all animals.

Another thing that will work.....is put the cover on and place a few mouse traps on the cover.....one snap and they will never come back it also works on dogs that surf counter tops at home.

Anything more than that will get you into one hell of a legal issue that'll cost you the car in this day and age.

Good luck....try the easy stuff first if that doesnot work go the mouse trap method I assure you the cat napping appreciation for your good taste will cease. :stickpoke:

Car covers scratch cars and should not be applied if it hasnt been cleaned first. Trap it and take it away somewhere. The neighbors will probably never miss it.

TimberWolf
04-20-2012, 06:36 AM
A few years ago,I left for work in my winter beater.A few miles out,the charge light came on unexpectedly so I pulled over and popped the hood.Sure enough,the fan belt had blown off and right there was the carcass of my neighbor's cat.Well,I can only guess what happened but it had something to do with a cool evening and a cat seeking a warm spot.

Reminds me of the time I started my car one cold winter morning and heard "bam-bam-bam". I thought 'what the hell, did I sling a rod last night?!?' And then I heard the cat howl and hiss and thrash around under the hood. I figured he was stuck with his tail in the crank pulley or something so I cranked the car some more - "bam-bam-bam" as the fan whacked the cat a few more times - then he got loose and scrambled out from under the car.

He never tried that again.

sdawson
04-20-2012, 02:09 PM
I"m pretty disgusted with many of the comments here. Being neighborly means a heckuva lot more than what I'm seeing posted here. There are humane, unselfish methods to deal with the issue, some of which have been mentioned, and I mean humane both to the trespassing cat as well as the feelings of your neighbors.

-Shawn

lostintexas
04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Did someone say gumbo?

Remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat, but starting at the head is typically the easiest.

shok
04-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I"m pretty disgusted with many of the comments here. Being neighborly means a heckuva lot more than what I'm seeing posted here. There are humane, unselfish methods to deal with the issue, some of which have been mentioned, and I mean humane both to the trespassing cat as well as the feelings of your neighbors.

-Shawn
X2.
I liked the videos though, but some of the people just seem like d-bags.

Lord Warlock
04-21-2012, 08:53 AM
sorry if the anti cat language offends some, being neighborly has nothing to do with putting up with cats that abuse their territory rights, I also shouldn't have to spend a hundred bucks on a car cover when i keep the car garaged, i purposely keep the garage uncluttered so i can fit two cars inside to protect it from the elements, i just don't think i should have to protect it from neighbors pets inside my own garage. I'm willing to accept paw prints on the beater that sits outside, but not the one stored inside.

The other neighbors own dogs and cats and none of the others come into the garage to sleep on vehicles, just one house. Being neighborly i allow them to prowl the front yard, sleep on our front porch, or under our bushes without spraying with the hose, i just draw the line when it comes to cars in the garage. The previous neighbor in the same house also had cats that did the same thing, and when the cat left scratches on the hood and roof of a fresh paint job I confronted them and said if it happened again they'd be charged for a new paint job, it never happened again afterward, So evidently a cat can be trained or controlled. If the owner chooses to do so.

715racing
04-24-2012, 03:08 PM
:armed:Shoot it and send the head back to the neighbor. Or better yet, address the box with the head in it to the neighbors' kids. His life will be hell! J/K

Or, video the cat on your car, show the video to your neighbor, and ask him if he has any idea how much a new paint job costs these days.

Shooting is MUCH more fun, though.

tigerman248
04-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Ok try this !!!!!!

For Problems with cats

Box them up and send them to the Guy with the bird problem

:SM127: DONE PROBLEM SOLVED :SM127:

dbest671
04-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Get some of that low tact blue painters tape, and double it up so you have a sticky side on both parts.... it shouldn't hurt the paint at all. Cats hate tape.

Spaceboy
04-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Go with a BB gun. If you don't pump it a bunch of times, it will just leave a big welt and shouldn't kill the cat. Just make sure you're a good shot and don't scratch the paint. Of course, do this at your own risk. Some people are kinda sensitive about shooting cats.

I gotta say, those god damn cats are a pain in the ass. My wife's car had massive scratches all over the roof and hood from some stray cat that would sleep on top of the car, and when it got scared it would freak out and scratch the hell out of everything. I spent endless hours trying to polish those scratches out when we returned it for the lease. Its some miracle it ended up looking okay after all that.

Spaceboy
04-24-2012, 05:02 PM
If you want some pretty creative ideas, just youtube "squirrel catapult". What works for squirrels will work for a cat. Just launch the little bastard back into your neighbors yard.

jim r
04-25-2012, 03:33 AM
"catapult"
The guy that invented that word must of owned a Challenger with a cat problem too.

MellowYellow
04-25-2012, 04:42 AM
The cat must of urinated on the convertible and in your garage.The scent of urine keeps the cat coming back.
Wash out the garage and the top of the convertible and tires??.
Never use bleach in the garage as that will attract all the cats.
You'll just have to have the garage closed more often unfortunately until that cat stops coming back or moves.

USMCBULLDOG/SRT8
04-26-2012, 07:13 AM
I can lend you my Dobie for a couple of nights.......LOL

Headtripp
04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Lotta people are really getting all ruffled up about damn stray cats. Would you be just as offended about shooting a rat? What it not the same you say bs it's not the same.

runner2go
05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Trunk Monkey... :D

mustang65
05-01-2012, 11:12 AM
black pepper,shake over top of deck lid,hood,roof, 2 applications no more cat on car.

Imadillo
05-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Try this:

http://www.nixalite.com/LRAD100x.aspx

What is it? The 100X is a self contained, portable and powerful wildlife deterrent that uses a focused acoustic beam to transmit bird and animal distress calls, predator calls and alert tones with pinpoint accuracy over long distances without noticeable loss of clarity or intensity. The 100X consistently deters birds and animals up to 3/8 of a mile away from the operator.

How Does It Work? Originally designed and developed for the military and law enforcement, the 100X uses patented and proprietary technology to focus sound waves into a well defined acoustic beam. This focused beam can transmit specifically selected wildlife distress calls, predator calls or alert tones to deter pest birds, waterfowl and animals out to 3/8 of a mile from the operator.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

Someguy33
05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
This is funny. I just watched something on TLC I think about stray cats. The "humane" way of thinking when it comes to strays don't work unless you take them to a shelter and get them spayed/neutered. Alot of people just toss cats outside kinda like a throw away pet and think they can fend for themselves. Most do sure, but they also F**k like rabbits. I see pawprints on mine one day I'm surely gonna be throwing something at it.

Brock Samson
05-02-2012, 03:19 AM
A buddy of mine has one that he rescued from a shelter. He lets it out. It comes home only to eat. Then goes back out. What's the point?

Someguy33
05-02-2012, 05:24 AM
A buddy of mine has one that he rescued from a shelter. He lets it out. It comes home only to eat. Then goes back out. What's the point?

That its out making more?