what brand and type of oil r/t ? [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: what brand and type of oil r/t ?

SUPREME4LIFe
05-08-2012, 03:42 PM
I wanted to know what brand and type of oil are you guys using on your r/t's?

woods
05-08-2012, 05:04 PM
5w20; using mobil full synthetic now but switching to amsoil this week

in my 06 Charger I only ran 5w20 valvoline; conventional in the summer and full synthetic in the winter

DCAggie
05-08-2012, 05:10 PM
5W20 Royal Purple, though I have also used Mobile 1 Synthetic

Tinstar
05-08-2012, 05:10 PM
I use whatever the dealer puts in it///

Yahooligan
05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Using Mobil 1 5w20 here

DeltaBravo
05-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 synthetic because it meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec. I could only find a few oils that met the required spec and I just don't want to chance voiding the warranty by using non-spec oil.

Yahooligan
05-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 synthetic because it meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec. I could only find a few oils that met the required spec and I just don't want to chance voiding the warranty by using non-spec oil.

Check your manual, it doesn't say you're required to use oils that meet that spec and the manual also doesn't say which revision of that spec it should meet. MS-6395 came about in 2005, I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a 5w20 or 5w30 oil that didn't meet or exceed that "old" spec.

The manual says that Chrysler recommends...not requires...so don't worry about your warranty. Stick with an API certified oil in the correct viscosity and call it a day, your warranty won't go anywhere.

elie
05-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I will keep this duty for my dealer :)
I am afraid they will void the warranty if I go somewhere else :(

Stevessvt
05-09-2012, 10:07 AM
I know the rt takes 7 qts, is it exactly 7, or typically less? I ask because my last car took 6 but would be overfull by 5.5.

DeltaBravo
05-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Check your manual, it doesn't say you're required to use oils that meet that spec and the manual also doesn't say which revision of that spec it should meet. MS-6395 came about in 2005, I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a 5w20 or 5w30 oil that didn't meet or exceed that "old" spec.

The manual says that Chrysler recommends...not requires...so don't worry about your warranty. Stick with an API certified oil in the correct viscosity and call it a day, your warranty won't go anywhere.

Well, MY manual (page 455) says: "Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395." So that's what I'll use and will only use oil that states specifically that it meets that standard, regardless of when the standard was issued. :icon_cheers:

Galvatron
05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Used Amsoil 5w20 for a long time, but after winning Royal Purple's facebook contest last year, they hooked me up with their HPS 5w20...so that's what I'll be running from now on!

Yahooligan
05-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Well, MY manual (page 455) says: "Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395." So that's what I'll use and will only use oil that states specifically that it meets that standard, regardless of when the standard was issued. :icon_cheers:

Check the section on engine oil maintenance procedures. ;)

Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

It's recommended, not required. I have no doubt the newer synthetic oils are just fine.

DeltaBravo
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Well, newer oils may be "just fine" but I'll stick to the MS-6395 standard until such time that Chrysler changes the requirement/recommendation. I have no intention to provide any possible path for a warranty denial in the future, for either my Challenger or the wife's 300. Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline all make synth oils that meet the standard as stated on their containers. That's good enuf for me, and they're usually on sale for a good price, with a filter, at AutoZone, Advanced Auto, or other car parts store.

So, I guess we just have to agree to disagree!

SUPREME4LIFe
05-09-2012, 11:34 PM

I plan on going with the pennzil also.:rocker:

aarcuda
05-10-2012, 04:53 AM
the mobil 1 spec sheet says its approved. and this is what i use

DeltaBravo
05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
^^ When I first looked at Mobil 1 I didn't see any reference to the MS-6395 on the container - maybe I missed it - so I'll have to check again because it's been my oil of choice for many decades! My last oil purchase was 5+ Quart container of Penn Platinum with a K&N filter for $30, so that's pretty hard to beat!

high line
05-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Im running a blend of T6 and penzoil ultra. Look here.2010 challenger 5.7 hemi hdeo blend - Bob Is The Oil Guy (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=174835&Number=2608835#Post2608835)

rockstarride
08-13-2012, 09:00 AM
5w20; using mobil full synthetic now but switching to amsoil this week

in my 06 Charger I only ran 5w20 valvoline; conventional in the summer and full synthetic in the winter

You should not be switching between conventional and synthetic oil, you need to pick either one or the other. Just and FYI.

Yahooligan
08-13-2012, 09:07 AM
You should not be switching between conventional and synthetic oil, you need to pick either one or the other. Just and FYI.

That's an old wives tale, there's no reason you can't switch back and forth as often as you want.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

19johned53
08-13-2012, 09:13 AM
That's an old wives tale, there's no reason you can't switch back and forth as often as you want.

Agree with that.

In the winter, I'll put in conventional. It's in a garage, not seeing a lot of miles. In the summer, I'll use synthetic, a lot more driving and then there's the HEAT.

Right now I'm using Castrol Syntec 5-20 with a Wix filter. The HEMI seems to "like it"

Aircop
08-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Quantum Blue BND Oil best you could ever get. Special blended for your car. Some people on the site believe in it, just like me.

rockstarride
08-14-2012, 06:18 AM

It may not directly harm your engine, but why go from a better oil to a lesser one just to save a few bucks. I found this on the Mobile1 website, and this is the answer Mobile1 gave about changing back and forth.

"Synthetic oils WILL provide better protection than conventional oils, but switching back and forth between full synthetic and conventional oil will not damage the engine. Of course, this depends on the current engine condition and the quality of the conventional oil being used.

I dont think its a wives tales, but I dont think its absolutly necessary to stick to one type.

beamg5
08-14-2012, 06:54 AM
I use the oil/filter that the dealer uses. One of the "perks" that was included in my purchase agreement were two books of coupons, each good for 6 oil changes (inc. filter,) lube, inspection and tire air pressure check -and- adjustment if necessary. Five of the six coupons require me to pay $19.95 for the service mentioned above. The 6th. coupon in each booklet is a FREE one.

I thought it was rather nice of them to offer that along with a very competitive price !!

Respectfully,

Gary aka "beamg5"

72/340
08-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Mobil 1 5w20 extended performance and a Fram Ultra filter.