Phantom black tri-coat pearl coat [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Phantom black tri-coat pearl coat

Shamus2009
06-19-2012, 06:55 PM
I plan purchasing a challenger in november (custom order) and i seen that the PHANTOM BLACK TRI-COAT PEARL COAT, and from what i have seen in other threads i love the color and it just sounds so frigging cool phantom black. Just kinda wondering what other people think of this color and does any one know if it is going to be an option on the RT and even more important the RT Classic.

texasmcse
08-11-2012, 08:48 AM
we have a 2012 black sxt plus, looking to also get a 2013 rt in black but this phantom black sounds interesting. Can anyone point me to a picture of what this color looks like?

Toxic11
08-11-2012, 09:06 AM
If judging by other cars offered in this color, this is not going to be a "pitch black" color, but rather a pearlized black, which under some lighting conditions may look gray.

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Cadillac/Cadillac-CTS-V_Black-Diamond-Edition-Image-00-1024.jpg

CTS-V in "Diamond Black" Tri-Coat

nakita7
08-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Kind of looks like the Metallic Black they used to offer on the Challengers (which, in essence, was a dark grey metallic), but this one is more dramatic. Once you add anything to pure black, it ceases to be actual black, but I see why they call Metallic Black or the new Phantom Black a black, is because of how it will appear at night. Kind of like a Hot Wheels Colour Changer car!!!

Yellow Jacket 2012
08-11-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm sure it will look beautiful but make sure you see the actual paint before you decide. Looking at swatches just isn't the same.

beamg5
08-11-2012, 02:20 PM
A dealer friend, showed me a "paint over metal" "swatch" for lack of a better term. Let's just say that i'm glad they offered pitch black in 2012 Challengers. It looks like a "washed out" charcoal under artificial light. :2:

But...............as always.................to each their own !!

Respectfully,

Gary akak "beamg5"

383 RT
12-19-2012, 02:54 PM
The Phantom Black option is now on the website for the color section, and its only $500.

Milkdudd
12-19-2012, 03:54 PM
its only $500.
???????......Was that said tongue in cheek or are you one of those evil rich people I keep hearing about?

383 RT
12-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Milkdudd, I was being sarcastic, of course someting I want will cost me more money, but here is a pic I found of a Phantom Black car, it looks Black in the shade and Black with a Grey shade in the sun.

pipopo
12-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Dealer told me today that Phantom Black is the same metallic black that was on the Charger and Challenger before they went to the Pitch Black several years ago. Does this sound right? Also seeing that Sublime Green Metallic and Hemi Orange are going to be available in May. Anyone have any details on these colors? May seems kinda late to be releasing colors.

LarryR
12-21-2012, 06:13 AM
As soon as my new baby gets here I'll post some pics.............VOTS has had it stuck on "FINAL INSPECTION" for the past two weeks. I'm hopeful it will be here sometime in Jan then I can provide some first hand accounts of what PBTP looks like in person!

Barney Fife
01-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Saw a 2013 phantom black this weekend. Sorry, no pictures. Definitely not gray at all! Looks like a gloss black with very high metal flake/metallic composition. Really pops in the sun and silvery metal flake in the paint very obvious close up. You lose a little of that wet look that the high gloss gives in a black, but the pop/sparkle in the metallic more than makes up for it in my opinion. Hope that is helpful.

LPerezRT90
04-11-2013, 02:58 AM
I plan purchasing a challenger in november (custom order) and i seen that the PHANTOM BLACK TRI-COAT PEARL COAT, and from what i have seen in other threads i love the color and it just sounds so frigging cool phantom black. Just kinda wondering what other people think of this color and does any one know if it is going to be an option on the RT and even more important the RT Classic.

I know not much about paint jobs but is Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl the kind of paint job that up close seems glittery? :SM030:

LarryR
04-11-2013, 04:27 AM
I know not much about paint jobs but is Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl the kind of paint job that up close seems glittery? :SM030:

Most CERTAINLY! On a sunny day "The Black Pearl" (my SRT) just sparkles! It's just TOO COOL! At night or on cloudy days it looks plain black.....guess that's why they call it "Phantom Black Tri-coat Pearl!"

LPerezRT90
04-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Most CERTAINLY! On a sunny day "The Black Pearl" (my SRT) just sparkles! It's just TOO COOL! At night or on cloudy days it looks plain black.....guess that's why they call it "Phantom Black Tri-coat Pearl!"

Went down to a dealer that has it in its lot Im usually not a fan of that kind of paint idk id think it look weird but my god it was nice and sunny and the way it shined it just over took my mind. The dealer has a couple challengers with Phantom Black and they sell them way cheaper than the regular black ones cant wait to get on my baby
:grinbiginvert::simmadown:

kansas51
04-14-2013, 09:52 AM
The Phantom Black looks the same as my old black 09 challenger and the 09 paint was not an extra $500.