Serious Issue! Roof is caving in! [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: Serious Issue! Roof is caving in!

Fast Freight
09-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Please take a look at these photos and tell me what you think...The roof and roof molding appear to be sinking down from the sides of the car..The ends of the plastic roof molding are also now exposed at the ends of the car!

Dodgeballz
09-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Not good.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

skeety
09-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Holy hell!!

Get in to your dealer ASAP!!

Dodgeballz
09-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Is your car garaged or out in the elements.

STINGER392
09-11-2012, 09:49 AM

So, why and the hell would that matter? Not to sound like an ass ,but damn. That Shouldn't be happening no matter where it's kept.

Chargerdude70
09-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Please take a look at these photos and tell me what you think...The roof and roof molding appear to be sinking down from the sides of the car..The ends of the plastic roof molding are also now exposed at the ends of the car!

Find it hard to believe your roof would be sinking. That moulding covers a flangeline between the roof outer and the body side outer that is welded toghther. That would mean all the welds would be missing. Thats not likely as they are done by a programed robot. Can you press the roof down in that area? Looks to me as if the molding itself may be sinking giving an illusion of the roof sinking. Why, I do not know. Just a thought though.

mattyj724
09-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Take it in, this is a safety issue, you might be protected if you flip the car

Fast Freight
09-11-2012, 09:54 AM

The car does sit in the driveway, I was going to put it in the garage for the fall and winter.....

Chrysler had already opened a case for the "mysterious dents" syndrome when this started happening.... Unbelievable! The car has only 2900 miles on it and was special ordered by me last October... :bang:

skeety
09-11-2012, 10:06 AM
I agree that whether it's outside or not, that is UNACCEPTABLE!

CBRXX
09-11-2012, 11:03 AM
The car does sit in the driveway, I was going to put it in the garage for the fall and winter.....

Chrysler had already opened a case for the "mysterious dents" syndrome when this started happening.... Unbelievable! The car has only 2900 miles on it and was special ordered by me last October... :bang:

Wait! The car wasn't like that from the factory? It just started sinking in the middle? Holy crap! I've never seen such a thing. I hope you get taken care of with these issues you've been having.

ONTHEFENCE
09-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I'd like to see pictures of how they should look. Please take pics from the same angles as the OP did.

Hal H
09-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Those roof gutter moldings weren't installed very well. Some areas look like it was pushed in hard and caused that.

The dips and waves are the tell-tale. The QC on the '10s really was problematic with those trim pieces.

The 1st and 3rd pics show the (worst) dimples in the trim.

SRT8Tech
09-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Its not the roof but the moldings themselves. My 392 looked the same way. Wavy as all hell.......

jim r
09-11-2012, 11:47 AM
My career is in autobody and paint repair.Hard to see well from the photos.
Is the pinchweld area under the painted trim strip sunken down?If that's the case,it would take a hard impact to damage the steel on those 90 degree bends.I'm suspecting,without enough information,that some foul play was involved.
WOW,I'd be pissed.

cmchristo
09-11-2012, 11:49 AM
I know on my 2012 RT the roof molding was coming at the windshield, the driver side completely popped up! Was freaking out since its a brand new car an did not want the dealer picking it apart, so i took some E6000 put a small amount down and held, cant even tell but yea thats strange.

huggytree
09-11-2012, 12:43 PM
im sure the panels came that way...maybe the molding shifted somewhat, but i dont think the car roof is sinking....

its a Dodge....its going to have body fit issues....i wouldnt be happy, but ill bet they do nothing for you

Dodgeballz
09-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Reason I asked about whether the car was garaged is we had some heat waves this summer in the northeast and owners in Florida are dealing with roof issues with the heat that they get on a regular basis, and NO it shouldn't be happening regardless of what the temps are, just trying to understand why these cars can't stand the heat.

WyGoSlw
09-11-2012, 01:38 PM
The roof is not caving in.. The molding is sort of messed up. Those are ordered to color and easily replaced.

DkGry1
09-11-2012, 07:59 PM
He needs to keep the FAT chicks off of his car! :yikes: That is some serious weight that had to be on there to do that. The roofs are flimsy enough as it is.

Blackout
09-11-2012, 08:15 PM
There is no issue here! Everyone go and really look at your own cars, they are all like this. The drip rail caps do look like they have been tampered with, which would cause what you see in the pictures. My 2009 roof is just like this, no issues to date. I will try to get a couple pictures tomorrow, but it is hard with a black car!

behemoth666
09-11-2012, 08:22 PM
YOUR NOT ALONE...I have the same problem...at 1st I thought it was the dryer at the car wash and/or hard turns so I got front and rear strut braces and now i dry by hand or on the highway.seemed not to get worst,but I also took a old credit card and just went along the trim a bunch of times and it got better. I havnt had a chance to bring it to my dealer cuz I moved.ugh!!

ONTHEFENCE
09-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Both my 2010 SE and 2012 SRT8 roof moldings looked similar to the OPs. If yours look much better, please post pictures showing how they should look.

Madcoder
09-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Maybe I can't tell from the images but isn't there supposed to be an angle to those rubber strips to help channel the water from going into the side windows?

They are just rubber strips of molding held in place by adhesive?

Hal H
09-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Both my 2010 SE and 2012 SRT8 roof moldings looked similar to the OPs. If yours look much better, please post pictures showing how they should look.

Here's my '09 (early build) Left Ft, Right Ft, Left Rr, Right Rr: (original trims as car was built)

Fast Freight
09-12-2012, 08:38 AM
im sure the panels came that way...maybe the molding shifted somewhat, but i dont think the car roof is sinking....

Perhaps I'm overeacting and I'm going to try to take a sensible approach to having it resolved. In this case, yelling, screaming, threatening and demanding things would only make things worse and helps no one in the end.

1. I'm having the dent repair guys our local dealers use give me an estimate to send to Chrysler. This is for the "mysterious dents" that are above both quarter windows.

2. Going to contact my Chrysler case manager and insist that a Chrysler field rep look at the roof. This may be as simple as replacing both colored roof moldings, but I need another opinion. The outer roof panels should not be almost 3/8" higher than the center roof panel. Everything should be flush with one another throughout the entire roof.

The car runs great and I really DON'T want to replace it, but one step at a time......:shrug03:

WyGoSlw
09-12-2012, 08:58 AM
The outer roof panels should not be almost 3/8" higher than the center roof panel.

Yes they should, the roof panel is a separate piece that gets welded to the side rail panels.

Everything should be flush with one another throughout the entire roof.

Negative, this is done by design. Go look at any other roof from an SE to the SRT, any year and I'll bet you'll see the same non issue. The only issue I see is the rail molding which can be ordered and replaced by dealer's body shop.

ONTHEFENCE
09-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Here's my '09 (early build) Left Ft, Right Ft, Left Rr, Right Rr: (original trims as car was built)

Pictures 1 and 2 they look like their sinking in the middle.

aarcuda
09-12-2012, 09:51 AM
OMG! YOURS IS DOING IT TOO!

Time to start a poll on Sunken Roof Syndrome!

Hal H
09-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Pictures 1 and 2 they look like their sinking in the middle.

The center roof panel has a different curve (flatter) than the outside rail portion that forms the door frame. It acts as a rain gutter so that rain doesn't run inside when the door opens.

Your car's trim has the dimples / dips since it wasn't installed correctly at the time of assembly.

If you compare your images vs. mine your roof trim has that issue.

1Fast392
09-12-2012, 11:59 AM
I just went and checked my '12 YJ and the center trim piece is level and centered all the way down the roof line. Looking at the trim from the rear of the car, the roof edges are at identical heights. When I steal my camera back, I'll snap a few shots of what I am trying to say...

super8man
09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Check out the police car head-on shots...the center of the roof is LOWER than the sides...it's SUPPOSED to be like that...

Dodge Challenger police cars (http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/challenger.html)

Specifically:
http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/challenger/pursuit.jpg

No, your roof is not sinking...

HemiEd
09-13-2012, 12:00 PM
There is no issue here! Everyone go and really look at your own cars, they are all like this. The drip rail caps do look like they have been tampered with, which would cause what you see in the pictures. My 2009 roof is just like this, no issues to date. I will try to get a couple pictures tomorrow, but it is hard with a black car!

Mine is the same way as well.

AFDoc
09-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Mine is the same...indents and all. 2 years old next month and no issues. I'm not lettin' 'em touch 'er.

walnetto
09-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I never really noticed that, or, not paid much attention to it. My guess is it is a water drain so the water won't come in your window if the car is wet and the window is down. I think someone stated that earlier. I do notice that when I have the window down at the beginning of a drive and the car is wet, water does come in by the mirror, which is quite aggravating.

Sandshar
09-14-2012, 09:08 AM
My 2012 molding is flush with the roof.. Looks nothing like those pictures.

ONTHEFENCE
09-14-2012, 09:55 AM
My 2012 molding is flush with the roof.. Looks nothing like those pictures.

Please post pictures of yours.

dizzyD
09-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Since I washed mine for the first time myself, I noticed the elevation change. I had the cash car wash places wash my C for the first few months to build up some wax layers. Wouldnt have seen the seam line

ChallengerAccepted
09-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Check out the police car head-on shots...the center of the roof is LOWER than the sides...it's SUPPOSED to be like that...

Dodge Challenger police cars (http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/challenger.html)

Specifically:
http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/challenger/pursuit.jpg

No, your roof is not sinking...

I had seen one of those pics before but never the set. Thanks for the link.

I think they make a sexy whiz-bang PR or traffic car but the Challenger is in no way shape or form a functional patrol vehicle.

dizzyD
09-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Challenger looks like a pursuit or chase vehicle.

Fast Freight
09-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Resolution:

After much closer inspection, the roof is a non-issue. It looks the way it does due to the installation of the plastic roof moldings, which was not the best.

Eventually, I will have them replaced and installed properly.

As far as the original complaint (the mysterious dents) goes, the dealer's PDR person (Paintless Dent Repair) looked at all the dents and wrote a repair estimate for $500.00 to repair the damage.

The dent repair guy will be able to use glue sticks to pull up the dents and let's hope they don't return.....

The dealer will submit this to Chrysler, who will in turn, cover it.

Chrysler is very aware of this problem, open a case if it affects your car!

70stroker
09-15-2012, 11:13 AM
The roof moulding area acts as a channel to let rainwater flow to the rear of the vehicle instead of pouring over the side glass.

The lower roof area to roof rail height difference is not an issue. Dimpled mouldings look like hell and can be replaced.
Least likely scenario: Future restorers attempt to duplicate dimples due to poor moulding installations at the factory. :freak5:

raceheart77
09-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Man.. when people say "you are really going to buy a Chrysler?"...I know what they are talking about now.
Seeing crap like this is scary. No more jokes from me about Chevy and Ford.

dizzyD
09-16-2012, 10:06 AM
My roof molding is aligned nearly dead on, both sides. no deflections, yes there is that small amount of elevation change from inside center roof to outer beam. guess yours must have been installed on a Monday or Friday

Fast Freight
09-17-2012, 02:28 PM
The Chrysler Zone Manager stepped up after reviewing my warranty claim and approved the $500.00 worth of dent repairs to my roof.

Now let's hope they don't come back........

RTkid
09-18-2012, 01:44 AM
Hmmm interesting because on the drivers side of mine it'd doing the same thing, or maybe it's been that way since the factory but that strip that runs down the roof is off on mine too...great...

Fast Freight
10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Update: Car has been fixed! Took the Dent Repair guy 6 hours and $600.00 to remove the 6 dents in my roof. Chrysler picked up the tab for the repair, they are aware that there is a problem with some of our cars.

It was fixed by using glue sticks to gently pull the dents out without creating new ones. The repair technician told me it took 200 pulls on the dents to finally get them out!

Hope they don't ever come back! If you have this problem, open a case and have Chrysler fix it! I didn't buy a new car to have these dents appear all over it!

hunttriumph1500
10-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I am just afraid that I spend the dough to have it fixed, what ever caused it to do it the first time will rear it's ugly head again. This is quite a bunch of work for the PDR guy to do, let alone the cost...