2014 SRT "Challenger" Refresh [Archive] - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

: 2014 SRT "Challenger" Refresh

rayzazoo
09-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Consolidated to a newer thread.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/my2015-srt-challenger-refresh-announcement-spring-fest-2014-a-94151/

sendmarksmail
09-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Not a fan. Looks like I'll have to get the 2013. I was dreading this would happen. Hopefully this isn't really happening for the 2014-15 models.

ghostrt
09-15-2012, 12:29 PM
looks aggressive

Mopar392
09-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I think LA is the last evolution of the L-platform before it retires.
LA will be, dimension-wise, the same as LC but accommodating 6.2SC and a new cooling system, the 8-speed autobox and the new UConnect 8.4.

If it's more than that we would have seen the body completely covered like when they where testing the current 300/Charger..

rayzazoo
09-15-2012, 01:27 PM
looks aggressive

I agree, and if it's merely just a front end swap/heatlights, it should be relatively easy to put this on the nose of a pre 2014 Challenger and supercharge the 6.4L.

:rocker:

jsd512
09-15-2012, 01:33 PM
To be honest, I like it. New front and rear fascia, along with revamped interior. Powertrain upgrades. Endless features and customizations = very rare Challengers. This may be the last generation "L" large car. 2014/2015MY through 2025.

raceheart77
09-15-2012, 01:35 PM
When they always do a easy headlight /tail light swap it looks worse (without a complete re-design).
Why?...because if it looked good they would have done it in the first place.
2008-2013 nose for the win.
Look at the the two .... current lools like man and newer looks like boy.

Drako
09-15-2012, 01:38 PM
I wonder if they'll split our "70" single reverse light to mimmick tail lights the 71's? I wonder how that would look on photoshop?
That would be different and inexpensive to do.

sean65
09-15-2012, 01:49 PM
I believe, based on the spy shots, that the headlights will have a more pronounced brow with an "angry" slope to them. I'm thinking a more familiar look that be a bit more related to the Charger.

rayzazoo
09-15-2012, 01:59 PM
I wonder if they'll split our "70" single reverse light to mimmick tail lights the 71's? I wonder how that would look on photoshop?
That would be different and inexpensive to do.

Like this,

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UPwozftPLBk/S2iI9u92iJI/AAAAAAAAAGM/Tr9N1Th84Ng/S660/Cuda_rear_head_onsm.jpg

Drako
09-15-2012, 02:05 PM
That is nice lookin'.

rayzazoo
09-15-2012, 02:06 PM
I believe, based on the spy shots, that the headlights will have a more pronounced brow with an "angry" slope to them. I'm thinking a more familiar look that be a bit more related to the Charger.

Post #1 updated

conceptmachine
09-15-2012, 02:51 PM
With the 6.2 SC, and looking like that = a sale to me

princesspaola21
09-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Im gonna have to have one!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

kevin2323
09-15-2012, 04:02 PM
this is a dream come true. it is literally what i envisioned from day 1. hopefully it is similar to this in every way. anyone who likes the old one has plenty of years colors and models to choose from.

hdwrenchtx
09-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Like this,

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UPwozftPLBk/S2iI9u92iJI/AAAAAAAAAGM/Tr9N1Th84Ng/S660/Cuda_rear_head_onsm.jpg
i like this

FASTTT
09-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Front and back both look great. Those taillights would be a nice change and the new front end is a cool choice with a more clean look. I like angry. I would have to have it.

Johnman
09-15-2012, 08:20 PM
To "Cuda-ize" it they have to do much more than change the front and rear ends. They need too straighten out the side character line, give it a Cuda hood (which was different from the Challenger) and have the rear fender peak come forward below the rear quarter window line, like the 70-74. Otherwise, it looks like a bastardized aftermarket job. Do it right, Chrysler, or don't bother.

titanman2789
09-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I love the rear end. Not crazy about that front end rendering. But it is what it is.

tazz3
09-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I like it .cant waite to see more

sick'r bee
09-16-2012, 06:18 AM
I seem to be the only one that keeps noticing that there is nothing that says Barracuda will be an altered Challenger, and keep noting no mention of Viper, still believe/think the Barracuda is Vipers replacement? Facts; Chrysler was left with a warehouse full of V10 engines at shutdown and even tried to sell it off but had no takers. The bean-counters decided it would make better business spence to just build out what they had, as I have seen no NEW engine orders anywhere for Vipers. With CAFE standards I believe the V10 is dead to future. The Challenger may get different front and back facias for 14-15 dunno, and if they shorten it for those two model years, it has GOT to come from the cabin area, maybe 4seater instead of 5, but it's already been noted that the subcontractors contracts ALL end in 2015 MY for Challenger. That's what I have gotten out of all these articles, and still SUSPECT that that single spy shot is not Chrysler mule, but I'm like that, LOL! ;)

challengerkid09
09-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Like this,

WOW!!!!!! That is a sexy A$$!!!!!!!

elie
09-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I think Dodge did a great job on our Challengers, in case they will do a wrong step in the next design they will loose lot of customers for sure.

StealthChallenger
09-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Dodge must recognize that the only things the Challenger has going for it over its two competitors are its looks and size (good and bad). They can make it smaller to compete, but they cannot and should not deviate too much for its already classic styling. These renderings look good. That car in the Car and Driver article looks Japanese.

noz34me
09-16-2012, 05:32 PM
IMHO Plymouth is dead, so the Cuda is dead as well. A Dodge 'Cuda??? Chrysler 'Cuda?? I'm just too old for this to make sense. I love the Cuda rear end, but there's some kits aren't there to make the Challenger look more like a 'Cuda??

Anyhow, any updates for me should leave the exterior the heck alone. Get to the inside, give it full analog instrumentation with a dash that's particular to the Challenger, not shared by several Chrysler and Dodge products as well as a few Jeeps.

OmahaRumble
09-16-2012, 06:25 PM
So if it's an SRT Cuda, does that mean the Challenger is out for good? All models, SE, R/T? Just wondering if they removing the whole line of Challengers for 1 line of SRT Cuda. Seems like they'd lose money, and less options for people who can't buy a 600hp monster.

rayzazoo
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
So if it's an SRT Cuda, does that mean the Challenger is out for good? All models, SE, R/T? Just wondering if they removing the whole line of Challengers for 1 line of SRT Cuda. Seems like they'd lose money, and less options for people who can't buy a 600hp monster.

No, it just means instead of the SRT group developing a whole new car, they are just modifying the current Challenger and renaming it to be an SRT Barracuda, and I'd venture to say because of cost. That's where the SRT Viper almost got in to it's issues.

Essentially look at it like this. Mustang has the GT. It then goes to Shelby for a customized appearance and upgrade.

OmahaRumble
09-16-2012, 06:34 PM
No, it just means instead of the SRT group developing a whole new car, they are just modifying the current Challenger and renaming it to be an SRT Barracuda, and I'd venture to say because of cost. That's where the SRT Viper almost got in to it's issues.

So SRT won't make a Challenger, they'll make the Cuda. But the Challenger will still exist through Dodge? Like Dodge Challenger SE, R/T?

Bvigne01
09-16-2012, 07:02 PM
I like that there is some rubber under the rear end in the rendering. That's how dodge should have built the car. 225's are not wide enough

Clasick12
09-16-2012, 07:02 PM
IMHO Plymouth is dead, so the Cuda is dead as well. A Dodge 'Cuda??? Chrysler 'Cuda?? I'm just too old for this to make sense. I love the Cuda rear end, but there's some kits aren't there to make the Challenger look more like a 'Cuda??

Anyhow, any updates for me should leave the exterior the heck alone. Get to the inside, give it full analog instrumentation with a dash that's particular to the Challenger, not shared by several Chrysler and Dodge products as well as a few Jeeps.

I 100% agree.

You can call it whatever you like but if it doesn't say Plymouth its not a Cuda.

Whats the biggest difference between a 1970 Challenger and a 1970 Baracuda?

Ones a Dodge and the others a Plymouth.

Before you get all excited remember what Dodge just released that they are calling a Dodge Dart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(looks like a honda civic)

rayzazoo
09-16-2012, 07:17 PM
So SRT won't make a Challenger, they'll make the Cuda. But the Challenger will still exist through Dodge? Like Dodge Challenger SE, R/T?

Pretty much Dodge will still have Challenger - SE, R/T, 392, and the "Challenger" refresh (Barracuda) would become SRT exclusive in 6.2L Supercharger form.

Then the overhaul for the Large Car platform happens in 2016 timeframe.

6SPD4ME
09-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Not ... I repeat ... Not, Happening !!!

FASTTT
09-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I for one would love to see this refresh. Angry looks goood.

Mopar392
09-17-2012, 03:58 AM

Which one Barracuda on the current platform?
or, 2014 Challenger refresh?

RoostKing
09-17-2012, 04:30 AM

Which one Barracuda on the current platform?
or, 2014 Challenger refresh?

Yes. These are the guys that know the most, save for RS ;) so lets see what you guys have to say. We need definitive answers!

djpatrick35
09-17-2012, 07:14 PM
I seem to be the only one that keeps noticing that there is nothing that says Barracuda will be an altered Challenger, and keep noting no mention of Viper, still believe/think the Barracuda is Vipers replacement? Facts; Chrysler was left with a warehouse full of V10 engines at shutdown and even tried to sell it off but had no takers. The bean-counters decided it would make better business spence to just build out what they had, as I have seen no NEW engine orders anywhere for Vipers. With CAFE standards I believe the V10 is dead to future. The Challenger may get different front and back facias for 14-15 dunno, and if they shorten it for those two model years, it has GOT to come from the cabin area, maybe 4seater instead of 5, but it's already been noted that the subcontractors contracts ALL end in 2015 MY for Challenger. That's what I have gotten out of all these articles, and still SUSPECT that that single spy shot is not Chrysler mule, but I'm like that, LOL! ;)

Who the heck thinks that the new 'Cuda is going to be the Viper's replacement?! The 'bean counters' would have been better off NOT spending the money to build a whole new Viper from the ground up! It would have been cheaper to burn those V10s in a ceremonial fire while producing some twin-turbo V8 or something for better gas mileage.

It cost GM somewhere in the neighborhood of $750 million to upgrade the C5 to C6 Vette if I'm not mistaken and I'm thinking the new Viper's development HAD to have cost somewhere in the same neighborhood to reengineer the Viper.

The idea that the new Barracuda will take the mantle from the Viper is nuts.

rayzazoo
09-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Well, I suppose I can leave the shaker hood on this rendering now that a Factory Shaker Hood is coming to 2013.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

ZardozSpeakstoYou
09-18-2012, 04:10 AM
If Dodge was smart they would not mess with the stying of the Challenger at all. I have no problems with technical improvements but frankly, the body style is spot on and any tweaking will just uglify it. Also, dont know where that photo in the first post came from or how recent but I see a grille like the original show car of the Challenger with the crossbars on it; yuck.

Mopar392
09-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Barracuda or the purposed car for the idea is slotted between Viper and SRT L-Coupe. A muscle/Sport car hybrid i.e. big engine/hp in smaller than current L-cars and yet a track monster in level with European 2+2 cars..

Mopar392
09-18-2012, 07:36 AM
If Dodge was smart they would not mess with the stying of the Challenger at all. I have no problems with technical improvements but frankly, the body style is spot on and any tweaking will just uglify it. Also, dont know where that photo in the first post came from or how recent but I see a grille like the original show car of the Challenger with the crossbars on it; yuck.

Reserve your judgement till you see the actual car..
What in the first post is an impression of what the car would look like based on the spyshot using a photoshop.

Any manufacturer that send his car for a 10 years production life span has to make a few design tweeks (facelift). Some of them do it as a mid-life refresh i.e. after 5 years of production. But with this, by the time you reach the 5 years, the general consumer will look at it as an outdated.
Challenger will be on its 6th year of production by 2013 and the 2nd design. Getting a refresh every 3 years (minor or major) is a good way to keep the consumer excited and the product on the hot side..

StealthChallenger
09-18-2012, 08:46 AM
A suggestion for Dodge. Offer a retro Classic package on your SRT with a shaker hood or something. I love the look of the R/T Classic (wheels/stripes) but much prefer the power and performance of the SRT. I would pay extra for this. Also, a stripped down SRT (like the Charger Superbee would be awesome. No leather, no sunroof, no fancy stereo, no adjustable suspension etc. Just a 392 and 6 speed for around 40K. I'd be down for that too as well as many others around here.

rayzazoo
09-18-2012, 02:07 PM
A suggestion for Dodge. Offer a retro Classic package on your SRT with a shaker hood or something. I love the look of the R/T Classic (wheels/stripes) but much prefer the power and performance of the SRT. I would pay extra for this. Also, a stripped down SRT (like the Charger Superbee would be awesome. No leather, no sunroof, no fancy stereo, no adjustable suspension etc. Just a 392 and 6 speed for around 40K. I'd be down for that too as well as many others around here.

A shaker hood is coming for 2013 as confirmed by the recent Dealer Show in Las Vegas.

Suuweeet!

WhiskeyR
09-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Like this,

That's AWESOME. I really hope they do something like this. Nice interpretation.

elie
09-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Well, I suppose I can leave the shaker hood on this rendering now that a Factory Shaker Hood is coming to 2013.

Good to know this.

elie
09-18-2012, 03:24 PM
A shaker hood is coming for 2013 as confirmed by the recent Dealer Show in Las Vegas.

Suuweeet!

What will be hidden under that hood? S/C or what :)

rayzazoo
09-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Allpar.com. It probably has better credibility than I but... it was updated on September 10th.

My prediction is still for:

2013 Detroit or New York Auto Show - Announcement of the 2014 SRT Barracuda (uses the name "Barracuda" to identify an SRT unique vehicle and to separately identify it from Challenger; it's based on the Challenger with exterior changes made by SRT for better airflow requirements/unique styling)
2013 4th Quarter - Release for the 2014 Model Year.

News: Rehash: LA-body Barracuda (http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/09/rehash-la-body-barracuda)

rayzazoo
09-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Here's another rendering... granted no shaker on this one.

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/5231/cuda.jpg

Mopar392
09-20-2012, 01:27 AM
Add a splitted vertical bar in the center of the upper grill, same as SRT Viper and Charger SRT..

Also, because of the 6.2SC engine and the supercharger, Challenger to use a heat-extractor type hood similar to Charger SRT and Ram Quicksilver.

FASTTT
09-20-2012, 04:44 AM
I think it looks good, cleaner across the front with he smaller turn lights.

ENVY RT
09-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Like some have said,i think the 'Cuda will be the SRT 'Cuda like the SRT Chargerand the SRT 300.This will separate it from the DODGE Challenger.Problem is that it still needs to be lighter than the Challenger to compete with the Shelby etc.What platform will the 'Cuda be built off of?

rayzazoo
09-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Another interpretation... taking cues from the SRT Viper.

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/395/yellowcuda2.jpg

And referencing this,

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2010/06/02/cuda-aar-10-concept_WdC2s_3868.jpg

-LED Fog lights
-Side Exit Exhaust
-Rear defuser

6SPD4ME
09-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Sorry Rayzazoo ... your design just doesn't screem Challenger to me, or I expect the majority of Challenger enthusiasts. You need the Quad Headlights that are a trademark of a Challenger ... either Retro or original style. Plus lower valance just to broad looking. It evokes I don't know what???

STINGER392
09-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Like this,

That makes me want to put gummies like that on the yellow jacket. I think it may be time to have the factory stingers widened. LOL

rayzazoo
09-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Sorry Rayzazoo ... your design just doesn't screem Challenger to me, or I expect the majority of Challenger enthusiasts. You need the Quad Headlights that are a trademark of a Challenger ... either Retro or original style. Plus lower valance just to broad looking. It evokes I don't know what???

Well, it's really meant to be a rendering for what the SRT brand will do with the Dodge Challenger (based on what can be discerned from the spy photo in post #1), similar to what Shelby does with Ford Mustangs. My hunch screams, 6.2L SC Hemi, and it won't be named Challenger.

WhiskeyR
09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, it's really meant to be a rendering for what the SRT brand will do with the Dodge Challenger, simliar to what Shelby does with Ford Mustangs. My hunch screams, 6.2L SC Hemi, and it won't be named Challenger.

I was about to comment on the brash, short and authoritative (and ridiculous purple) tone of his comments and and tell you not to sweat them, but then I see he dislikes the Dallas Cryboys so he's OK in my book.

rayzazoo
09-22-2012, 07:15 AM
So, I told my wife that, if all goes as mentioned, I'll be giving her the keys to the Tungsten 392 (her favorite color) and parking it next to a new 2014 Torred Barracuda.

Needless to say, she said ok.

elie
09-22-2012, 07:28 AM
You have a lucky wife :)

princesspaola21
09-22-2012, 10:14 AM
So, I told my wife that, if all goes as mentioned, I'll be giving her the keys to the Tungsten 392 (her favorite color) and parking it next to a new 2014 Torred Barracuda.

Needless to say, she said ok.

Lol that's hilarious because I told my husband I would hand over the keys of my yellow jacket to him if the barracuda comes in furious fuschia and I'll just get me a new one.

rayzazoo
09-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Lol that's hilarious because I told my husband I would hand over the keys of my yellow jacket to him if the barracuda comes in furious fuschia and I'll just get me a new one.

A furious fuschia Barracuda with a black AAR hood would look wicked!

gasgonewild
09-24-2012, 06:52 PM
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2010/06/02/cuda-aar-10-concept_WdC2s_3868.jpg[/IMG]

-LED Fog lights
-Side Exit Exhaust
-Rear defuser

they really need it to look like this

rayzazoo
09-24-2012, 08:48 PM
I would say, expect the future lineup of SRT to look something like this.
2013 SRT Viper
2014 SRT Barracuda 6.2L Supercharged* - LA Platform
2015 SRT Dart 2.4L Turbocharged

*Due to costs, a primary reason why a whole new car (Barracuda) was nixed by Sergio, but instead, an exterior/suspension/engine modified, LC (Challenger) based platform as compromise; cost/hertitage (383 cu/in)/aluminum vs iron block (weight)/shorter (possibly) to prepare the ground work for the Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger and Chrysler 300 chassis overhaul in 2015-2016.

and the Dodge Lineup to look something like this
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392, R/T, SE - LC
2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392, R/T, SE - LC
2014 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392, R/T, SE - LC
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT8 - refresh based on the SRT Barracuda shortened chassis, but still a large car platform - based on LA platform.

2016 Model Year, expect the overhaul but you have to respect current parts contracts etc that go in to making the Large Car (LX, LD, LC) platform. 600HP seemed to be the target # when they were considering the SRT10 Challenger Concept back in 2009. I would expect the 6.2L SC Hemi to be very, very close, if not on point with this.

Mopar392
09-25-2012, 07:29 AM
I would say, expect the future lineup of SRT to look something like this.
2013 SRT Viper
2014 SRT Barracuda 6.2L Supercharged*
2015 SRT Dart 2.4L Turbocharged

*Due to costs, a primary reason why a whole new car (Barracuda) was nixed by Sergio, but instead, an exterior/suspension/engine modified, LC (Challenger) based platform as compromise; cost/hertitage (383 cu/in)/aluminum vs iron block (weight)/shorter (possibly) to prepare the ground work for the Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger and Chrysler 300 chassis overhaul in 2015-2016.

and the Dodge Lineup to look something like this
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392, R/T, SE
2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392, R/T, SE
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT8 - refresh based on the SRT Barracuda shorted chassis, but still a large car platform -

2016 Model Year, expect the overhaul but you have to respect current parts contracts etc that go in to making the Large Car (LX, LD, LC) platform. 600HP seemed to be the target # when they were considering the SRT10 Challenger Concept back in 2009. I would expect the 6.2L SC Hemi to be very, very close, if not on point with this.

I like the idea of 383ci SC aluminum engine..
But if we are saying a shorter architecture than a Challenger, shouldn't we be seen test mules by now to test the vehicle's dynamic? The only mule we saw is a covered up front Challenger, which is 2014 refresh.
A second thing, even though Ralph positivily commented on a Challenger-based Cuda-conversion, the original '70 Cuda isn't only a headlight/taillight different. The car had slightly different/smoother side body panels which till now we haven't seen too..
Going back to the original rumor of the Barracuda/Cuda revival, the car was supposed to be a modern design with some clues from the original ones, either 2nd or 3rd generation.

Don't get me wrong, I like the where you are coming from. But the modern Barracuda and Challenger are 2 different animals..
Take it this way if Viper front mimic a snake, Barracuda will mimic a shark..
The 3 upcoming US shows, not counting SEMA and Chicago is for Ram, will clear everything..

Stew
09-25-2012, 08:15 AM

huh? you realize there is a new viper coming for 2013, made it's rounds and even been tested by a few magazines.

rayzazoo
09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
I like the idea of 383ci SC aluminum engine..
But if we are saying a shorter architecture than a Challenger, shouldn't we be seen test mules by now to test the vehicle's dynamic? The only mule we saw is a covered up front Challenger, which is 2014 refresh.
A second thing, even though Ralph positivily commented on a Challenger-based Cuda-conversion, the original '70 Cuda isn't only a headlight/taillight different. The car had slightly different/smoother side body panels which till now we haven't seen too..
Going back to the original rumor of the Barracuda/Cuda revival, the car was supposed to be a modern design with some clues from the original ones, either 2nd or 3rd generation.

Don't get me wrong, I like the where you are coming from. But the modern Barracuda and Challenger are 2 different animals..
Take it this way if Viper front mimic a snake, Barracuda will mimic a shark..
The 3 upcoming US shows, not counting SEMA and Chicago is for Ram, will clear everything..

I agree and I thinking I'm mostly entertaining the rumor mill with the shortened platform idea but I realistically see the barracuda just being a modified Challenger (LC) platform and relabeled as the LA platform, R&D costs being the primary reason.

I too am very excited to see what the Detroit and New York Auto shows will have to offer.

elie
09-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Sometimes things can be different than it was in the 1970s, a small example is the new generation 4 door Charger while it was 2 door coupe in the 1970s.
I hope to have an announcement or a confirmation from Chrysler because we are confused, everyday we hear new rumors...

rayzazoo
09-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Some more to ponder on.

http://imageshack.us/a/img546/4159/49136138.jpg

LC - current Challenger platform
LA - shortened/lighter LC platform

6SPD4ME
09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Some more to ponder on.

http://imageshack.us/a/img546/4159/49136138.jpg

LC - current Challenger platform
LA - shortened/lighter LC platform

Hmmm ... Just how long did it take you to makeup this "Homemade" Chart??? Considering on this site in the Challenger News: Challenger to Continue to 2015 Section, Sergio and Dodge have already stated the Challenger is good thru 2015MY, along with the current Charger and 300.

Too much time on your hands feeding the rumor mill...lmao!!!

rayzazoo
09-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Hmmm ... Just how long did it take you to makeup this "Homemade" Chart??? Considering on this site in the Challenger News: Challenger to Continue to 2015 Section, Sergio and Dodge have already stated the Challenger is good thru 2015MY, along with the current Charger and 300.

Too much time on your hands feeding the rumor mill...lmao!!!

There might be some confusion, because the homemade chart (it wasn't meant to be an official chart, just a graphical representation of what has been posted in post #1) shows that Challenger is continued through the 2014+ model year. It is just stating that it will utilize the LA chassis by MY2015 (based on the Motortrend and Car & Driver articles from September). Dodge makes the Challenger, SRT makes the Barracuda. Both use the same platform by 2015 as part of the Challenger refresh and the introduction of the Barracuda. The LA chassis is nothing more than a shortened version of the LC chassis, the same way they trimmed the LX/LD chassis to create the LC chassis.

Challenger has been noted for starting the build of the new model year during the previous Summer calendar year. For example, 2013s are being built already.

6SPD4ME
09-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Traditionally the new model year ... example: 2013MY is started in the Summer to be built for available sales in September.

The original Challenger, 1970MY, was introduced on August 27th, 1969. Get with the program dude.

rayzazoo
03-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Post #1 updated to reflect more thoughts regarding the 8HP70 transmission and other revisions

rayzazoo
06-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Post #1 updated

ZardozSpeakstoYou
06-15-2013, 07:28 AM
I would sure like to know why I cannot see anything from that ontariostreetcar site, all I get is errors and red x's. Wish somebody would copy and paste whatever is there so I can read it.

rayzazoo
06-15-2013, 09:38 AM
I would sure like to know why I cannot see anything from that ontariostreetcar site, all I get is errors and red x's. Wish somebody would copy and paste whatever is there so I can read it.

http://www.ontariostreetcar.com/2013/04/19/coming-lx-platform-replacement-general-details/

http://www.ontariostreetcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Generic_Platform.jpg

Most people have already become aware of the “LA platform” that will soon debut with the heavily revamped 2015 Dodge Challenger, and then later underpinning the next generation Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300. The first iterations of this platform have already debuted with the new Maserati Quattroporte and Maserati Ghibli.

While some suspension material differences between Maserati and Chrysler are possible (aluminum on one, cast iron or stamped steel on the other), we can still take a look at what general changes the new platform will bring with respect to the well known LX/LC/LD. Most notable is the front suspension change, LX uses the Mercedes Benz W220 S-class control arm front suspension design and its been completely removed from the new platform.

It has been replaced with a much lighter and more sporting high-mounted double wishbone quadrilateral set-up that not only provides luxury ride characteristics and light precision steering, but also pure bred handling capabilities. In the Maserati the shock towers, upper and lower control arms and uprights are all made of forged aluminum which are housed in an aluminum sub-frame.

The LX uses a 5-link rear suspension design that was pulled from the W210 Mercedes Benz E-class. While durable and smooth, this suspension was built with comfort as the priority and with that comes excess play and movement, which doesn’t bode well for handling, so its been completely removed as well.

The replacement is a “state of the art” 5-bar muli-link system with four suspension arms which has been developed to offer premium ride characteristics plus extreme sports performance handling. The Maseratis will use electronic adaptive Skyhook dampers at all four corners (SRT currently uses Bilstein, we expect this to continue) as well as anti roll bars and steel springs.

These new suspensions are what will allow SRT to build a Camaro Z/28 fighting Challenger T/A or ACR that is said to be shown next year, as the Challenger will be the first Chrysler Group vehicle to launch with the new architecture. Lets just hope that the race to better CAFE numbers via weight reduction means the Chrysler cars will use just as much forged aluminum components as their Maserati brothers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)