Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1/4 mile time for 2015 Scat Pack 8 spd auto -- info/timeslip inside

157K views 559 replies 70 participants last post by  dragrcr 
#1 · (Edited)
I will be running at my local track tomorrow night around 6:30. I will take pictures of time slips and write info about my launch technique. Stay tuned. :thumbsup:

P.s. Might even upload a youtube video as my dad will be coming along with the video cam

#3 ·
cool i can't wait, go and kick some azz

#4 ·
I will be running at my local track tomorrow night around 6:30. I will take pictures of time slips and write info about my launch technique. Stay tuned. :thumbsup:

P.s. Might even upload a youtube video as my dad will be coming along with the video cam
We'll be waiting! I was going to go tonight here as well but I couldn't get to 500 miles fast enough. Will have to wait 2 weeks. You have plenty of launch options at your disposal from all-driver to launch control. Try them all!

Mike

#5 ·
Great been waiting for this. Work on your launch before hand. I know with my 392 I got the best performance heating the tires pulling to the line, turning TC and SC back on, and launching at 1000-rpms. Turning the nannies off lost me almost 1/2 second in a haze of tire smoke.

#6 ·
Charlene: So where's the update? Curious minds, like mine, are impatiently waiting. :wink3:
I'm most curious about what tires you're running and the dread wheel hop problem that made me sell my 6-speed R/T. I probably won't be making it to the drag strip until early 2015 but would like some real world feedback on tires & launching procedures before I go.

#9 · (Edited)
Around 6:30 or 7 tonight I'll be making my first pass. I will try and get 4 passes in at least. I will upload video if I have time tonight but I will for sure be posting timeslips tonight FOR SURE when I get home around 10 or so tonight. Results tonight! Should be perfect out for it.

65-70 degrees. Low south wind (track runs south to north so the wind should help times)

p.s. tires are listed in my sig in the 1st post.

#14 ·
Around 6:30 or 7 tonight I'll be making my first pass. I will try and get 4 passes in at least. I will upload video if I have time tonight but I will for sure be posting timeslips tonight FOR SURE when I get home around 10 or so tonight. Results tonight! Should be perfect out for it.

65-70 degrees. Low south wind (track runs south to north so the wind should help times)

p.s. tires are listed in my sig in the 1st post.
Anything????
It's not 10 yet... central time zone. :) Waiting...

Mike

#15 ·
ALRIGHT YALL!!!! I'm car #16 in the slips.

First off let me just say.... These tires are freaking badass and hook crazy well. I did not spin once during all 5 passes. It just hook and left. Full throttle off the line. No easing into it whatsoever. I experiented with the stall range with the RPM.

1st pass: I stalled at 1500rpm and ran a 12.6 eased into throttle

2nd pass: I stalled at 1500rpm again and rolled into it harder but did not mash and got a 12.5

3rd pass: I stalled at 2000rpm and mashed it full throttle off the line and got 12.4

4th pass: I stalled at 2500rpm and mashed it full throttle off the line and got 12.3

5th and final pass: I stalled at 2500rpm and mashed it full throttle off the line and got 12.2.

0 wheel spin through all pass. Couldn't believe I could mash the throttle to the floor off the line at 2500 RPM without spinning. Track prep was fairly decent and the tires were great. About 65 degrees with a very slight wind coming from the south as the track runs south to north.

Technique used: Sport mode (all settings), Left in regular drive, and revved to 2500RPM and floored it off the line.

#16 ·
First off let me just say.... These tires are freaking badass and hook crazy well. I did not spin once during all 5 passes. It just hook and left. Full throttle off the line. No easing into it whatsoever. I experiented with the stall range with the RPM.

1st pass: I stalled at 1500rpm and ran a 12.6 eased into throttle

2nd pass: I stalled at 1500rpm again and rolled into it harder but did not mash and got a 12.5

3rd pass: I stalled at 2000rpm and mashed it full throttle off the line and got 12.4

4th pass: I stalled at 2500rpm and mashed it full throttle off the line and got 12.3

5th and final pass: I stalled at 2500rpm and mashed it full throttle off the line and got 12.2.

0 wheel spin through all pass. Couldn't believe I could mash the throttle to the floor off the line at 2500 RPM without spinning. Track prep was fairly decent and the tires were great. About 65 degrees with a very slight wind coming from the south as the track runs south to north.

Technique used: Sport mode (all settings), Left in regular drive, and revved to 2500RPM and floored it off the line.

Freaking badass!!!

Imagine what true DR'S and a tune will do.

Thanks dude!:thumbsup:

#17 ·
Car is easily 11s all day long with DRs and/or a tune for sure. I'm happy I got the 12.28

#24 ·
WTF did I do to not beat 12.7? haha

The wheel hop was bad and I tried all different sport settings.

#43 ·
Don't worry as I had 295 wide sticky Michelin's in the back. I'm sure if I was on the stock F1s my car came with, I would have been running in the 12.5 - 12.7 range as well.

Nice, I wish you made a video.
Yeah, unfortunately no video was taken. My dad went with me and we forgot the cam corder. I tried to show him how to use my phone but he hit some buttons while trying to take video the first time and lost his confidence in it so he didn't want to try it again... kinda of a bummer. Wish I had video of my last pass!

Congrats! Either these things are underrated at 485 HP, the A8's are drastically more efficient, or both. Two questions. One asked already, one not:

(1) Did you just put it in Sport mode or did you turn traction control all the way off manually? Next time you should probably try Track mode as it's supposed to shift even faster.

(2) You were talking about stall speeds. Did you use launch control or were you just manually preloading with the brake pedal?

Mike
Yes, I put it in sport mode will all the settings set to sport. I don't know how to turn traction completely off including the ESC. The traction was just set to sport through the sport mode setup. So I'm guessing it was halfway off and not fully off.

I did not use launch control. I just braked it hard and stalled it up to 2500 RPM and then just mashed the throttle to the floor off the line with absolutely no wheel spin. Completely smooth coming off the line. That part still amazes me.

Very nice times. Your time has matched the best from a fully stock 11-14 392. Unfortunately your time will not be considered stock, as you have added rims and tires.

Are you certain that TC was completely turned off, the way you described it sounds like it was still in mode. The reason I ask is that I am surprised that you could go F/T from 2500-rpms on street tires, my car would have spun through the first 120' doing that?

I want to see one of these fully stock Scat Packs get out there and run similar or better times.
If you want to call a different street tire modified then that's kind of silly to me. If the car had drag radials on it then sure I could possibly see the argument for being modified at that point but the car did not have DRs on it and it was just a sticket street tire. Stock in my eyes. I had the traction in sport mode but do not know how to fully turn it off unless someone wants to share ;)

Great job....

Looks like the tires were getting "seasoned" as your 60' dropped each pass..
No wheel hop on a 20" tire? huh!

Questions..\
1. Describe your burnout
2. tire pressure...
3. Any idea of the DA
1. I did a decent burnout for about 3-4 seconds. It was a chilly night so wanted to make sure those babies were heated up.
2. Rear tire pressure was hovering around 28-29 psi
3. DA was 1030.

#25 ·
Wow. Stock cars should be in the 11's come cold weather

#28 ·
Nice, I wish you made a video.

#29 ·
Aw, crap. Your times are so much better than what Car & Driver got out of a 6 speed Scat Pack (12.9) that I really must reconsider my choice of the M6. I could live with the manual being 0.2 second slower, but nearly 0.7 second? That's too much for me to ignore.

Thanks for posting your slips.:thumbsup:

#39 ·
Aw, crap. Your times are so much better than what Car & Driver got out of a 6 speed Scat Pack (12.9) that I really must reconsider my choice of the M6. I could live with the manual being 0.2 second slower, but nearly 0.7 second? That's too much for me to ignore.

Thanks for posting your slips.:thumbsup:
It's quicker, not faster.

They did trap 113 mph with the 6-speed, so it's not as much of a difference as you think. Almost all of the difference is from a dig, and this advantage for the automatic has long been known. If you don't go to the drag strip, you'll never know the auto is quicker. ;) Also, think about how fast 0.7 seconds goes by in everyday life. The fun-factor on the 6-speed is almost immeasurable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.