Does anyone here autocross their Challenger? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Track Talk This is the place to post time slips, track stories, track photos and videos, and track event info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Does anyone here autocross their Challenger?

I’ve recently really gotten into autocrossing my 2012 R/T…it’s a bit of a handful managing such a big car through tight courses but I find it really fun. Does anyone else here enjoy autocrossing?

What kind of mods should I be looking at to improve my experience? I don’t run in any classes (just do fun-runs) so I don’t really care how they’d affect my classing. I was thinking f+r strut braces, f+r sway bars and end links, coilovers, maybe lighter wheels, frame braces, and some weight reduction?

I’m running 255/40/18 BFG g-Force Sport Comp 2’s, but I think I’m getting too much wear near my side wall even at 40 (cold) / 42 (hot) PSI. Should I go even higher on the PSI, or would that be overboard? Should I go lower PSI on the back and higher up front?

Lots of questions here...don’t even know if anyone here autocrosses, but if anyone could help i’d appreciate it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 R/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:09 AM

Thanked 4,140 Times in 2,733 Posts
What's your budget?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp392 View Post
What's your budget?

~1500

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 AM

I'd buy these. $1500 with labor. Then maybe later if you decide to spend more I'd stiffen up the chassis with F&R braces, sway bars, and subframe connectors.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums....php?p=7242777

The Following User Says Thank You to wasp392 For This Useful Post:
Hanan Gruhonjic (03-06-2017)
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,513 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanan Gruhonjic View Post
~1500
stage one springs, front and rear strut braces, and possibly x brace will go a long way to help you get around the track and stay within budget
Luke

THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH US
WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD!!!!!!
PLEASE VISIT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!

828-324-4410
800-779-3634

post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp392 View Post
I'd buy these. $1500 with labor. Then maybe later if you decide to spend more I'd stiffen up the chassis with F&R braces, sway bars, and subframe connectors.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums....php?p=7242777

this is kind of the conundrum im hitting...if i should spend one a bunch of cheaper things that might make my car handle better, or go all out on one thing like coilovers?

then again i can find ST coilovers on ebay for ~900 and have some left over for other things
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
stage one springs, front and rear strut braces, and possibly x brace will go a long way to help you get around the track and stay within budget
Luke
i've considered lowering springs instead of coilovers, but because I have to change my rear shocks anyway i'd basically be $200 away from the price of coilovers
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,513 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
i've considered lowering springs instead of coilovers, but because I have to change my rear shocks anyway i'd basically be $200 away from the price of coilovers
strut braces and cross brace should be higher on the list, and most likely you don't have to change shocks, we rarely do
Luke

ps however the Bislteins with Mopar stages ones work very very well
The Following User Says Thank You to stevewhiteparts For This Useful Post:
Hanan Gruhonjic (03-06-2017)
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
this is kind of the conundrum im hitting...if i should spend one a bunch of cheaper things that might make my car handle better, or go all out on one thing like coilovers?

then again i can find ST coilovers on ebay for ~900 and have some left over for other things

Go big. The coilovers will give you the biggest improvement with your budget.

post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I’ve recently really gotten into autocrossing my 2012 R/T…it’s a bit of a handful managing such a big car through tight courses but I find it really fun. Does anyone else here enjoy autocrossing?

What kind of mods should I be looking at to improve my experience? I don’t run in any classes (just do fun-runs) so I don’t really care how they’d affect my classing. I was thinking f+r strut braces, f+r sway bars and end links, coilovers, maybe lighter wheels, frame braces, and some weight reduction?

I’m running 255/40/18 BFG g-Force Sport Comp 2’s, but I think I’m getting too much wear near my side wall even at 40 (cold) / 42 (hot) PSI. Should I go even higher on the PSI, or would that be overboard? Should I go lower PSI on the back and higher up front?

Lots of questions here...don’t even know if anyone here autocrosses, but if anyone could help i’d appreciate it!
I just put f&r strut braces, sway bars and sub frame connectors on mine and they made a HUGE difference. All for around $1200. Add in some more aggressive brake pads and your about at your budget. I was within 0.3 seconds of a Z06 that took the win CAM class yesterday so I'm very happy. Also I've found the Bridgestone RE71s right now are the tire to have. And go as wide a tire as you can.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to steve37887 For This Useful Post:
stevewhiteparts (03-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Track Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode