Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Which drag radials on 20x9.5 SRT Wheels are you running?

8K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Heminator 
#1 ·
Need some advice on what to run. I'm leaning towards the 555R 275/40/20 or the MT SS 275/40/20. if you have pics please post them as well.

#2 ·
I ran the Nittos last summer and now have the Mickey Thompsons this year. For $40 more per tire, the M/T's are worth it IMO, they are stickier for sure.

#3 ·
I do agree. If you are going to run a 275 you are going to struggle with the Nittos. You should get the MT S/S's. Either way you need to learn what you are doing. I would call MT for a pressure and burnout recommendation.

#4 ·
I did some research on the Internet on this, and there's always a trade-off between streetability and track worthiness.

If your car is a weekend warrior, meaning driven around town but occasionally take him to the track as well, you want a true "street" drag radial tire. The Nitto 555r's came highly recommended, but I took EricG's advice and went with Mickey Thompsons.

Holy crap what a difference from street tires! I haven't run them on the track yet, I will on Sunday. But they launch a lot better on the street than the stock tires would launch on a prepped track.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks all. My main experience is with the Nitto 555R's and ET Streets. I ran them both on my Vipers and my ZO6 and have had good success with both. I think it is more the sizing I have an issue with. I seem to be waffling between the 275/40/20 and the 305/35/20. Anyone run the newer MT Street SS?

#7 ·
Ive heard of guys running 305's. Not sure i need that large of a tire.

#9 ·
I have been running the 305/35/20 Nitto 555R's on my Hellcat for about 2K miles now.

Good traction and wear well for a drag radial.

I pulled a 11.5 1/4 mile practice run on an unprepped county road the other day with the 555r's.

#10 ·
I have NITTO NT05R WITH 315 on mine and it fit great and hooks good at the track

#11 ·
Noce! Isnt that the tire the hellcat was certified on?

#13 ·
They used a 275/40 for that 10.8 pass.

Technically a 305 is too wide for a 9.5" rim if you check the recommended wheel widths from the DR manufacturers. 10" is the minimum, 11" is recommended. Staying within the recommended wheel width range ensures a maximum footprint, safe handling characteristics and a good bead seal.

With that said, I'm sure there are plenty of guys running a 305 DR on the SRT 9.5" wheel with no real issues.

For all earlier SRT and SP owners with 9" wheels, 275/40 for sure.

Reactions: OffDutyPete
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.