Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Fastest Bolton R/T ?

24K views 107 replies 19 participants last post by  Curtisville Challenger's 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure If my time is better than Chris1992 time, believe his was a 12.4.

Think I can get a 12.0,My 60ft can be improved on.I was still spinning on the start.With slicks and skinnys up front and going catless mids may do it.

UPDATE.

Ran a 12.22

See less See more
#2 ·
Most 12 flat runs I've seen have at least 90 MPH in the 1/8th and at least 114.5 in the 1/4.
You'll need to pick up at least 24 MPH between the 1/8th and 1/4 and that takes steam.
I picked up a little over 1 MPH going catless on a SRT so maybe more on R/T cats as they are more restrictive.
What RPM are you in 4th in the traps? Pick some DRs or slicks that will put you near redline in 4th (since you have 3.91s). May have to get a custom tune to raise your limiter more than 200 RPM that Diablo lets you.
I run 25.75" hoosiers that put me at 6650 + in 3rd at the line. I avoid going into 4th in the traps at all cost as it will hurt the ETs.
Got to set it up for the 1/4 if that is what you run. Right now your set up is a 1/8th mile SRT eater....
Not sure you have the umph to get much better than a 1.76 60'. That's pretty friggin good. I've only done that once in a 392 on the stock TC with brand new M&Hs.
That's one good running R/T.

#3 ·
Not sure at what rpm I am crossing the line at,I have shift points set to 6200.

I have heard of two R/Ts that have gotten 1.6 60ft with high stall converters.I need to launch harder to take advantage of the stall with out spinning,may be impossible without the best track prep possible.

#45 ·
3.91s and an FTI 3000-3200 on MT ET Street R's

Attachments

#4 ·
Wow, nice job GP70! I don't believe I occupied the #1 spot for bolt-on R/T's, but I also don't believe the quickest was in the low 12.3s, so I'd say you earned that spot. With that 60', it looks like you've got a lot more room to grow. Low 1.6's should be achievable with decent prep, which should put you somewhere in high 12.0x to low 12.1x range. Even with the stock open 3.06 rear in my car, I was able to achieve a 1.66 60' along with a lot of 1.70s.

What was the DA if you don't mind me asking? I felt/feel like 12.3s were possible in my car, but I wasn't able to pull it off. If I remember correctly, DA was around +700 when I ran my PB.

I guess it's time to get a custom tune and pray for good weather :D haha

#5 ·
Thanks chris1992.DA was around -200. I'm sure with that da you be in the 12.1 12.2 s

With the 3.91 gears and cool track it was a fine line between hooking and spinning.the cool track couldn't hold enough traction for a 1.6 60ft.

#6 · (Edited)
Wow, not as low as I'd expected, I may have just barely broken 12.3s in similar conditions. Track prep is always the downside to a cold day at the track, but if you're able to hook, you will fly!

If I didn't put 20k+ miles on my car each year, I'd really be looking into the 3.91s..it seems to be working everywhere for you. Not only is your 1/4 mile trap nice, but the 1/8 mile trap is even more impressive!

#7 ·
Yes I agree with the 3.91 being a bit much on extended highway drives. Definitely makes the car more fun and got rid of that annoying lag.

Reactions: ghostrt
#9 ·
Yep, Tony ran that a good while back. I believe you are correct about the gearing as well, but he also had a slight weight reduction too. I wanna say his race weight was under 4000lbs with him inside it, whereas my car weighs 4160lbs with me in it.

#14 ·
Good times. Well,,, What can we bolt on to call it bolt ons ?? Blower was a bolt on.
Right.. hahah just kiddin I know what is meant.
My best ((bolt ons)) no cats was 12:64 best I could muster back then. CAI, converter, tune thats it. Till I bolted on a blower.
FlatTop

#15 ·
Was hoping to make it to the track one more time before the end of the season to better my 12.3.

Will have to wait till the spring.

#16 ·
dam some of your cars are lite (lol) my car with me in it was 4460 but I was over 400 at the time ... so if I lose weight my car will get faster ... fk yeah

#18 ·
I want that 60' ^^^^ Don't think it'll be possible with the open 3.06 though

#20 ·
Made it back to the track,went to a different track known for poor track prep.So no personal best,ran a mph PB.

Ran a heads and cam 5.7 challenger.From all the cammed 5.7 time slips I have seen another disappointment.

#28 ·
Great job! You blew your previous run out of the water, were you able to stay in the 12.2s pretty consistently? I don't think I'll be coming close to that unless I swap the rear diff. Lol

#29 ·
Thanks. Ran 3 in the 12.2 range once track prep was improved.

DA was negative 260. Still running the factory 20s up front.

#36 ·
You guys have made my freakin day. I just traded in the SXT Plus on a 2013 RT. I only ever modded one car and that was an old 99 Pontiac Grand Prix (Front wheel drive, 3800 series V6.) I ran constant 12.2's in that car but in order to do that I pulled the motor, put in a new cam, ported and polished the heads, gasket matching them to the intake and headers, and having a shop press in new valve guides and do valve job for larger valves. I put heavier springs, better rods and lifters, used a high velocity intake insert, larger throttle body and a Novi2000 Supercharger. I also changed the gearing and ran a 4000 stall TC.
Seeing you hit those numbers with driveway bolt-ons and a tune... I could cry out of happiness.

I'm ordering an HP Tuner today. I'll get the exhaust on order so I can play in the Spring.

Ericlee, good luck hunting. I went out for archery last Wednesday. I got a doe at 5:05 PM and at 5:15 PM I got a 9 point. Two tags in 15 min and I'm done for the year. My freezer is full.

Reactions: ghostrt
#39 ·
That is sweet! Congrats!

What exactly are your mods again? I ordered an HP Tuner, headers and my cat-back. I get a bonus in the spring. Then I can decide on staying N/A or adding a blower.

#41 ·
UPDATE . Ran a new MPH personal best of 111.

Made it out to two different tracks recently. Wasn't expecting great times in the summer heat.
I have added a few minor things since my last time at the track. A 85mm modern muscle throttle body, 170 thermostat ,modified stock airbox similar to the hellcat airbox mod http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/cai-using-stock-air-box-34647/ and a revised tune from Johan.

With a 2300 + DA ran a 12.4 @ 109. Then at another track with poor track prep ran a 12.5 @ 111 with DA at 2000+ .

There were a few 392s running 112 113 mph for reference. Also raced a cam and heads AJ tuned 5.7 challenger. Another of those cammed 5.7 making over 400 rwh. He ran 2 tenths slower and 2 mph slower than me.

Should also mention that chris1992 has run a 12.0 after I posted this thread.

#46 ·
If it's not one of Jay Greene's cams, that's exactly what happens. People only care about peak hp instead of the power curve so like you pointed out, they end up slower. I went to a dyno on Sat and figured out my problem. My AFRs on my tune were great but the dyno said I was in mid 11's. I hooked up my wideband to a serial output while scanning and sure enough, my scanner was saying mid 12's and my real fueling was a power bogging mid 11's. I adjusted the voltage offset to fix that and I hope to get a trip to the track Friday night. I was at 111.5 on that crap fueling so I should be in the 112's or better. I also fixed my tone ring so I can do a proper burnout so if I can pull another one of those 1.6x 60's I hope to be in the 11.999999 - 12.0 range. Oh who am I kidding, I want 11.9999. haha

I have to say that finding out my fueling was so far off was comparable to finding money in a parking lot. :grin2:

#42 ·
Man that's booking it for such high DA! Can't wait to see how you do with cooler temps! Any more info on the hellcat styled intake?

#43 ·
I was surprised I was within 1 to 2 mph of the 392s. I first thought something was off with the track timers,but the 392s were running 112 to 113.

In that link I posted it gives instructions and pictures on how to drill a hole behind the grill and the front of the factory airbox. Then run flexible piping.

#49 ·
I have never weighed the car. Removed the front seat as the only weight saving mod. Don't think 55 lbs makes much of a difference. Johan has a race tune I am running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.