Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Finally ran with the DR's last night

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Cratos 
#1 ·
Finally, a chance to run the 1/4 with the DR's last night. I installed the tires only to find that the tires rubbed against plastic fender lining. Screw it, I figured they would self clearance and I would replace the fender liners if needed. Well they did not self clearance and made a low groan the entire night. But onto the good stuff.

First off, I have to thank the fight. You could run at will. I was even letting the car cool of after each pair of runs. So I pull up for the first run. It was a solo run, yes there were quite a few of those. I do my first drag radial burn and it was pretty similar to my street tire burn outs. I will figure how to do the clutch/brake dance later, or more likely install a line lock. Pull up for the first run and damn if I can't hold the revs for the life of me. I had a 3.0 r/t. I bog the car and run a 13.3. Great, just where I left off. My next run is against a black mustang with skinnies; I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. I start burnout in second and actually produce some smoke. But I do not like the way the diff was reacting. I could feel it switching back and forth. I line up against the car stage at 3500 and slip the clutch. Wheel spin, but at least it does not bog. I actually caught a better light than my opponent but that as far as the advantage goes. He starts pulling away and runs a 12.39 to my 12.80 @ 110. Yay, I made it to the twelves. The rest of the night was spent looking for the perfect launch, which I never found. It was either bog or spin. I was only able to data log two runs. I see some weird throttle readings when it bogs. I will chock up the bad runs to my inexperience this time. I only won three of 10 match-ups. I lost to every Mustang I lined up against except for one. My other wins were against a trans am that I think broke and dodge on dodge crime against a charger. I was the only dodge for most of the night. My best run of the night was against a cute girl in a new Mustang. She was running 12.3's but slowed to a 12.58 against my 12.78.

I still think the car is fighting me, but I still had fun. I have a few tuning tweaks to employ, now that the data logger is upgraded. Oh yeah, and a D1SC kit to throw at it as well...

See less See more
#3 ·
I run m&h 325/40/17's. I was running 26 down to 23 psi. I should have tried lower pressures. She had an auto. If she had beaten me with a manual, I probably would have asked her to marry me on the spot...

#5 ·
LOL. Hopefully, I will have more power at the end of this week...Tuning will definitely be my biggest hurdle.

#6 ·
Good to read U enjoying the car, try 21lb then 18lbs in tires somewhere around/in that range are what others are having good results with. Launching is fun to learn in these 6Ms, but even with the troubles those are pretty good times, may be staging a bit shallow, just keep at it, you WILL get the feel of your car with time, enjoy! :D

#7 ·
The shallow you stage the better the mph and E.T. It is called roll out...It is like going from a roll in a sense.. I use to race 10.5 outlaw and there are a few tricks I have learned over the years.

If that is a hard side wall DR keep the pressure up around 20 lbs, A very light burnout nothing crazy.. Always drive around the water and back in so the front tires do not pull the water out with them and you drive back through it as I assume you have street tires on the front. Raise the front tire pressures up to the max on both for less rolling resistance.

In my opinion the rear tires are way to big... A 275dr will do everything you need.. Less weight = more ET.

Oh 1 more thing.. when the bottom yellow comes on before the green.. GO!

#8 ·
Yes the 325's are too big, but they came with the rims. It was an instant green race, so no yellow. And...Update, thanks to a few friends the procharger is installed and tuning is in process.

#9 ·
So you ran on a pro tree..A little bit harder but it should flash all yellow then green unless they were trying some street racing thing..

Good deal on the procharger.. There is nothing more better than boost...

#10 ·
get a line lock fort the front brakes .then you can heat them tires up :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.