Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How to look stupid while drag racing......

6K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  dragrcr 
#1 ·
Went to Irwindale last Thursday night to race. It is the 5th time at the track. So, I finally got over 500 miles and decided to try Launch Control. Tested it once on the side of the road real quick on the way over there. Set to 1500RPM does exactly what it is supposed to.

I went in and staged and let her fly and everything was awesome. Get the time slip and a 1.62 60 foot ??? And my time was a little slower than usual. Scratching my head for sure. Because my best 60 foot has been a fantastic 1.73 with my 2015 SRT A8 (drag radials).

ANYHOW, I was REALLY wanting to try it a second time to verify. I went in and staged and the dweeb I was racing rolled past the stage beams and the starter had to waive him back etc. So he finally gets his act together and then I stomp the throttle to the floor to engage launch control.....then it happened. Car hooked perfectly and pushed about 1-1/2 car lengths through the lights. OMG I was so embarrassed. Credit to the starter as he let me back up and restage and make the run.

I tried it Several more times in the back lot and it worked perfectly. So what gives??? I am thinking it timed out after so many seconds? I am 100% sure I had the button depressed and the light was on before I rolled in and staged. I also think it will deactivate if you drive over a certain speed in an A8? Any ideas. Before I go make a fool out myself again LOL.

I do know this, I do not have any issue with having it enabled and rolling in and staging. So I would use it in a bracket race or whatever if I practice etc. BUT: I did try engaging it and then bumping the car forward a few inches as if you pre-staged and wanted to final stage and it will go to full throttle and immediately spin. So you have to final stage first to use it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Best pass was 7.803 @ 90.38 , 1.754 60 foot. Exhaust is stock. I had one other good pass that might have been better but he gave me the slip for car # 4605 by mistake (I was 4505).

Best thing about that 7.803 was racing a 2015 Mustang 5.0 manual with drag radials and I wasted him. He did a 8.75 with a 2.16 60 foot. Kind of a crappy 60 foot for drag radials. Oh well.

It was nice meeting you.

#4 · (Edited)
A 1:62 60ft your right, thats a hell of a 60ft. Im at 1:50 flat with slicks and 4000 stall. So that is really killer 60ft is all I can say. I run 6:80s in 1/8
No way I can do that on DR tires, busts loose. I have to use slicks. When I dont have the air right it will whip them and give me 1:60s. Right air and sticky it drops to the 1:50 Id like to see you do more. If it is then its great, thumbs up.
FlatTop

#6 ·
no 1/4 mile times?

#7 ·
Just so you know, I do not think that 1.62 time slip was mine. The car number was correct though. It is possibly that the Girl in the tower mixed things up. That is why I wanted to use launch control again to confirm. But I was too embarrassed to try it again on the same night.

One thing I have heard that would substantiate it as being mine is, I have read that if you leave from a dead idle that the car will et better. Or if you flash the converter the car will 60 foot better resulting in a better time. My car revs real quick and the one time I left from a dead idle the car instantly spun the tires and I even red lighted. I have zero issues with a lazy or slow to respond throttle. Mine is instant.

I will definitely be doing some testing next time I have the car out. I want to enable the launch control and see if it times it's self out and after how long and see if it disables if you drive and at what mph. Both are possible and that would explain what happened to me.

#11 · (Edited)
I went around the water on street tires and backed into the burnout box with my 99 Dakota RT. ..left it in reverse, started backwards burnout...hey wait...I'm going backwards. ..lmao!

That was embarrassing. It was probably my second time to the drag strip and first going around the water. I was a little nervous. :grin2:

#14 ·
i would love to se 2015 SRT to run 11s and 115+ mph,I'll be taking mine this spring to the track i hope to see low12s high 11s.....

#15 · (Edited)
Be sure and post your times. We all love to see and share. Don't be upset if you do not run the exact same times. They all run different. To tell you the truth I would have been happy with a 12.6 @ 109 at Fontana. That track typically has terrible DA. I have heard 4000+ in the summer. Fact is I will never run a full quarter in negative DA air without traveling quite far. So I have to do the calculation/prediction game.

Please note, both the runs in question were after a cooldown My car like many others are quicker after being cooled down for an hour or so. I listed 4 consecutive runs in 22 minutes at Fontana in another thread if you care to find it. OK here they are 12.23, 12.30, 12.32 ,12.37 , 111.28 was the lowest mph and 111.69 was the best mph.

#21 ·
Its a button on the dash - push and it puts the car in launch mode. Foot on the brake gas pedal to the floor...let go of the brake and the computer controls wheel spin and you boogie on down the road.

Mine however falls on it face for a second before it hooks...I was hoping somebody else has this issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.