Dodge Challenger Forum banner

My 16 SS vs green Scat at Milan tonight

7K views 75 replies 10 participants last post by  Bad daytona 
#1 ·
I'm back lol. With a car (16 SS a8). And results vs a similar modded Scat pack. With video too if someone can tell me how to upload it. Raced a Scat at Milan tonight

First of all props to the challenger guy. Talked to him a bit really cool. We lined up my very first race. I have DR, CAI and ported tb. Stock tune.He had DR, hellcat airbox mod, tazer and some other minor thing can't remember. It was green and a8. We both blew off the tires with 2.1 60 ft. He ran 12.8@112 I ran 12.5 @ 114. He left before me so I technically lost. But I was slightly pulling him the whole way. Was just passing him as we crossed. Cars are very very comparable and the closest thing to a drivers race you could get. Very slight edge to the SS all night of ~.2 and 2 mph. Both of us hitting 1.7x 60s.

My best on the night was 11.808@116.4. But I botched it at the end was holding the gear so it didn't shift before the line and da had gotten better i hit the limiter about 50-100 ft shy. It would have been 11.7@117. His best when I talked to him was a high 11.9 at 114.

Here are the slips of our run and my best run. And like I said a vid if someone can tell me how to upload.

View attachment 735545

View attachment 735553

Reactions: Blueboar
#2 ·
Uploaded to YouTube

Spin and bog and early 1-2 shift. Almost caught him. Scats are the real deal! Bolt on and tire coyotes were running mid 12s @110-113. This Scat hit 11.9x@114

Sooo close to 11.7 needed another pass. Next time!

#3 · (Edited)
Haha, welcome back and congrats on getting your Camaro! I have a lot of respect for people out there actually walking the walk. No doubt about it, your Camaro was quicker and faster than that Scat Pack on that night.

I wish I was there to race you ;)

#14 · (Edited)
It's a compliment to the challenger being 500 lbs heavier. Congrats.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That's a good point, and even if the difference really is only 400 pounds(because I think I get my car down to close to 4000 pounds when I drag race ;) ), I like how Ultrazls1 likes to consider his CAI addition as equivalent to the Hellcat airbox mod, (but it may actually be costing him power LOL), let alone the ported throttle body he has which he considers another power loser basically, yet if the Challenger had those I can only imagine how large an advantage he would consider those. And on top of it all, the Camaro is on racing wheels and the Challenger is on 20 inch cast aluminum stock wheels??? The Tazor track mode shifting adds little to nothing to the overall e.t. of the Scat Pack, no one has ever tried to quantify it though. We can call it a mod if you want though.

Hey Carl, curious as to which DRs you had on the rear? Do you have the Hellcat air filter too or just the stock 392 air filter? Also, do you closely monitor your coolant and air intake sensor temps while you are at the track and where do you have them when you race? Overall great job, way to represent!

#5 ·
Scat packs got some big hairy ones!

That 6.4 is a beast. And yes mad props with the weight difference. Only a base m6 1ss is 3685. An auto base is about 3720. The weight difference is ~400 lbs. but yes still impressive

I think they are both making a bit more than advertised from what I've seen and how they run. Poor coyotes. They are not in the same league as a Scat or SS when near stock. Period. Pushrods 4 life.

#42 ·
I think they are both making a bit more than advertised from what I've seen and how they run. Poor coyotes. They are not in the same league as a Scat or SS when near stock. Period. Pushrods 4 life.
Poor Coyote - nothing! My Coyote is barely modded and runs 11.50's @ 119 in the 1/4 mile. Engine is 100% factory stock with the factory airbox and paper air filter. Suspension is 100% factory stock. My '16 Scat Pack is an awesome car, but it's the slower of my two musclecars.

I really comes down to the driver & traction when comparing pure stock examples of the 5.0L, SS, and Scat Pack. All three are very evenly matched.

#6 · (Edited)
Hey man, that's me in the green Scat Pack! Haha! Your name was Troy right? A guy on the other Challenger forum I'm a member on said there was a video with a green Scat Pack from last night at Milan, so I figured it had to be me haha!

I saw you run an 11.91 and an 11.98 before I left around 8pm. Don't know if you saw me but I ran over by the staging lanes and gave you a thumbs up for breaking into the 11's haha!

That's cool someone got a video of us running. I have one with my GoPro I'll have to upload. Just shows from inside my car though.

That was definitely not our best that night. I wasn't able to hook up at all to save my life there during the middle part of the day. I finally realized I needed to heat the heck out of the tires to have any hope of hooking. Once I did longer burnouts I was dead hooking just about every pass. But it was a good race either way. Glad you were able to get into the 11's. I just about freaked when I saw my 11.98 timeslip I was so happy haha!

Your car was running great, definitely a fast car, very comparable. Seems like the Camaros pull a little harder on the big end than the 392's. Our Challengers are a bit chunkier haha!

I might try to get up there again before they close in mid November. Won't be able to make it next weekend but possibly the following weekend.

^ Here's my 11.98 pass. If you look at the cars ahead of me in the right lane you'll see your car I believe. Check out my reaction at the end of the video when I realize what I ran looking at my timeslip haha!

If you're bored check out all my videos on my Youtube channel under Novaguy383. Tons of passes on there. My best was an 11.96 @ 113.5mph back in May on a nice cold day. Typically the car runs 12.0-12.1 at about 113-114mph with 1.70-1.75 60ft times. Still on the stock tune, just running M/T 275/40/R20 drag radials, hellcat airbox with filter removed, and Tazer line lock running in Track Mode.

#7 · (Edited)
Hey man, that's me in the green Scat Pack! Haha! Your name was Troy right? A guy on the other Challenger forum I'm a member on said there was a video with a green Scat Pack from last night at Milan, so I figured it had to be me haha!

I saw you run an 11.91 and an 11.98 before I left around 8pm. Don't know if you saw me but I ran over by the staging lanes and gave you a thumbs up for breaking into the 11's haha!

That's cool someone got a video of us running. I have one with my GoPro I'll have to upload. Just shows from inside my car though.

That was definitely not our best that night. I wasn't able to hook up at all to save my life there during the middle part of the day. I finally realized I needed to heat the heck out of the tires to have any hope of hooking. Once I did longer burnouts I was dead hooking just about every pass. But it was a good race either way. Glad you were able to get into the 11's. I just about freaked when I saw my 11.98 timeslip I was so happy haha!

Your car was running great, definitely a fast car, very comparable. Seems like the Camaros pull a little harder on the big end than the 392's. Our Challengers are a bit chunkier haha!

I might try to get up there again before they close in mid November. Won't be able to make it next weekend but possibly the following weekend.

Carl's 2015 Challenger Scat Pack - 11.98 at 114.07 mph - YouTube
^ Here's my 11.98 pass. If you look at the cars ahead of me in the right lane you'll see your car I believe. Check out my reaction at the end of the video when I realize what I ran looking at my timeslip haha!

If you're bored check out all my videos on my Youtube channel under Novaguy383. Tons of passes on there. My best was an 11.96 @ 113.5mph back in May on a nice cold day. Typically the car runs 12.0-12.1 at about 113-114mph with 1.70-1.75 60ft times. Still on the stock tune, just running M/T 275/40/R20 drag radials, hellcat airbox with filter removed, and Tazer line lock running in Track Mode.
I seen your channel very nice. Beautiful car! That car and color is honestly my second choice. I'm a Chevy guy first. I found your vid tonight on YouTube and was just about to post it for you didn't know you were a member here.
Yep my names Troy. My girlfriend got most of my passes on vid. My car has a CAI and ported TB but I honestly don't think I gained much if anything from them. They need a tune to gain anything. And actually only my rotofab is not losing power. Other cais on the market for the SS are losing power without tune. Ported tb is worth 3-5 hp tops. My best mod is my tires lol.

I found your vid and seen you commented on
one of my 11.8 passes lol. I commented on yours.
I had the same problem. I started dead hooking after I heated the **** out of them lol. Yes I seen my car in your 11.98 vid. I think I spun again that run. That was one of my last bad runs before I started roasting the hell out of my tires. I seen the thumbs up didn't know it was you. Thanks man.
Did you think left lane was better? Some guys thought that so I stayed with it.
Your 11.98 run you had the same exact 1.71 60 as my 11.80 lol. Thats great. The run we raced I was creeping and almost got you before the line. Cars are very comparable but yes I agree SS has a bit more on top. I was trapping about 2-2.5 mph more most of the night.

I'm going back for 11.7 in November. I'm adding a throttle controller to possibly help my 60/ramp up the throttle quicker. It has an annoying lag/dead pedal the first half. The controller may help. Hope I still hook lol. I may even pull my seats. 11.7 will be mine! My ultimate goal is 11.6 with a warranty and stock tune. Will add a CF driveshaft next year.

What night you going ? Let's meet up

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

#8 · (Edited)
Btw have you tried 131 in Martin? It's a half hour further for me (1.5hr compared to 1)

They claim they are the fastest track in Michigan. Elevation between the two is almost identical. If it's not way too out of your way we could maybe try 131 for a change. But they may close after next week.

And wtf were you racing on your 11.98 a manual 4th gen giving it hell ? lmao. Awesome. Was it NA with heads and cam or what? I seen the car but didn't know it was running that strong.

#9 ·
Yeah that was me giving you thumbs up, I had to split around 8 to get home to see my kids before they went to bed. I figured I got my 11 second pass so that was it.

I've been to Martin, Michigan before, it's a pretty cool track. I'll probably just shoot out to Milan again this year if I can make it. I'll give you a heads up if I'm heading down there again.

What wheels/rims are you running? Are they Welds or something else? I need to look into getting some skinnies up front next year.

Do they make any high stall torque converters for the Camaros or offer any different rear end gears? I don't think they make anything for the Mopars yet that I know of anyway.

If you're running 11.8 now then you should be able to get an 11.7 something if you run a little race fuel or remove some weight next time you go. The DA's will be pretty good from here on out now. I'd like to get an 11.90 out of the car on the stock tune, but not sure if it'll happen. I'm still on the fence about tuning mine next year. Would be an easy way to drop a couple tenths and be in the 11's on a regular basis. It's $1K though for the PCM/tuner, probably the last non-super expensive mod I could do to pick up power. Outside of that you have to spend big bucks on a supercharger or look into a nitrous kit, both of which I really don't want to mess with.

Yeah that Camaro I ran against was pretty mean. He ran 11.3 @ 121mph. I tree'd him off the line and got out ahead of him a bit, but of course he ran me down. I saw him in the pits and he flagged me down, rolled down my window, and he leaned in a shook my hand, told me it was a good race, couldn't believe how well my car held up against his considering it was relatively stock haha! I told him he did some pretty wicked shifting, thing was a stick shift and he was banging the gears as fast as he could, sounded really cool side by side.

That's the ticket in colder weather. Heat the hell out of the tires. In the summer I didn't have to do as long of a burnout to dead hook. But with this colder weather I need to heat them up quite a bit more. I dropped my tires down to 17psi thinking that might help but it just made the car feel spongy in the rear. 19psi is where it's at with the M/T's, at least on my car.

I don't know if Tazer makes a line lock for Camaros, but it's a pretty sweet thing to have for the track. Just plug it into your OBD-II port and press a couple buttons on the steering wheel and it activates line lock, makes doing burnouts way better. Seems like you're hooking up good already, but might make it a little easier on your drivetrain/brakes, etc. if you race a lot more.

Funny you say you're a Chevy guy, that's what I am at heart, what I started out on with cars and stuff. I still have my first car, an old 1972 Chevy Nova. It runs 12.30's at 110mph, just had it up at Milan last Sunday and made a couple passes. My parents were Chevy people so that's what I grew up knowing/loving. When I met my wife she turned me on to the Mopars since her father works for Chrysler. Of course I saw the Challenger concept car at the 2006 auto show and knew right there I had to get one of those at some point. So now I'm sort of a Chevy/Mopar guy.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted if I head down to the track again. Have a good one!

#10 ·
THey are race stars. They make them for the challenger too. Not as light as the welds as they are cast but literally half the price. A bit lighter than stock in the front with my 17 x 4.5 but the rear is about the same as stock with the big DR. The main advantage is the extra sidewall on the 17 I can run. The welds would pick up a bit more being lighter but they are 400+ per rim.

Yeah they got all kinds of stuff. I'm holding off on a converter. Not many doing a gear on the a8 as first is already so aggressive anyway with the 8 speed. MSD has an intake manifold picking up 15-20 hp. Longtubes are only worth about 20 on the lt1 because they come with stock tri y from the factory (and the vette doesn't not as much room, Camaros actually put down a touch more hp same dyno but is 300lbs heavier not sure if you noticed but I was running comparable to the tuned silver stingray till he used nitrous and ran tens later)

Cold air intakes aren't showing much and some hurt like I said. They help with future mods. 93 octane tunes only showing about 10 hp but will also help a lot with removing the torque management. You can hear my slight bog on full throttle hard launches. The 1-2 and 2-3 shift are softer than the 3-4. People have also logged timing retard in the Camaros on the 1-2 shift.

And as always with the ls and lt huge gains from cam and or heads cam. Guys are getting near 550 rwhp stock cubes. I'm holding off on internal for a while want to see how far I can go stock longblock and never been a fan of boosting or nitrous. But at some point it will be heads/cam like my last two Camaros.

The real ticket for the 6g and for only ~500 bucks is the flex fuel e85 tune guys have just come out with. People are seeing 30-40 rwhp over stock with just e85! And you can run 93 when you want no changes required. The ethanol sensor adjusts automatically.

That's my next mod but I'm gonna hold out as long as I can and keep my warranty make sure she's not a lemon. Thinking end of next summer. This time of year it would be an ~11.5 car by just adding the flex tune. But I'm also thinking E85 with headers and msd IM for low 11s. With also a converter stock internal it may touch 10s on a perfect night true bolt on car not ragged out etc. Well see... got lots of ideas in my head..

#11 ·
And yeah been looking no luck with the line lock right now. Some are rumored to be coming soon.

#12 ·
The line lock would definitely be worth it since you plan on racing a lot more. The Mustangs come stock with it which is pretty cool. Mine was $250 and plugs into the OBD-II port, but it also unlocks SRT pages which unlocks Track Mode and allows the trans to shift harder/faster than regular Sport Mode that is offered in the Scat Packs.

That's pretty cool. Sounds like you have a lot of aftermarket options for that car. I remember when I bought my first Challenger (2010 R/T 6 speed) I was amazed by how little aftermarket support the Mopars had compared to the GM/Ford guys. Not to mention most of the parts cost quite a bit more too for what seems to be similar type parts.

I agree on the gear stuff, the first gear in the A8 is pretty wicked as it is with the stock gearing (the Mopars have 3.09 gears with the autos). I did the math and it comes out to something like 14.5:1 torque multiplication in first gear! That's insane! I think the M6's have something like 10.5:1 in first gear and my Nova with an old school 3 speed auto has 9.5:1 in first. So that explains why that big heavy car can 60ft so well. I actually hit a 1.69 60ft in my car back in May which is pretty amazing for a 4100lb car (probably 4300lbs with me in it).

The converter I sort of wonder how much it would really help. With my Nova it dropped about .3 tenths as that car really needed it with the new heads/cam (way more duration than before). But with these A8's you're up into the powerband almost instantly and then you stay there the whole time. I watched my tach on a couple runs and it rarely goes below 5000RPM once it's moving. So if it gained anything it'd have to be right off the line in that first 100-200ft or so maybe. Might not be worth it.

The heads/cam route sounds pretty cool for your Camaro. I've never been a big fan of nitrous or boost either. Of course if I had a Hellcat that came stock with a supercharger I'd be happy with that haha! There's been a few guys that have boosted their 392's and didn't forge the bottom end and it was just a matter of time before it went BOOM. I did see a guy at Milan back in June that was running 12.0 @ 116mph with a M6 Scat Pack, but he had some serious mods done. He was running 17" wheels with slicks, hellcat airbox, Tazer, and a 75 shot of nitrous. He just wanted to get an 11.9. Pretty impressive for a M6. They're usually in the mid/high 12's from what I've seen.

I think I'll probably end up getting a tune next year from *********. It supposed picks up 25hp and gets rid of almost all the torque management. That would likely drop me .2-.3 tenths off my ET and put me solidly into the high 11's on a regular basis. If I could get some 11.70's out of it with just a tune and what I have now I'd be happy and probably stop there.

I did see that silver Stingray. He was running 11.80's most of the night that I saw. He must have started using the spray after I left. There was a black Z06 there running low 11's I think too at 125mph or so. I knew that wasn't a base C7 with that MPH.

I'll have to look into those wheels you mentioned. Im just running the stock 20x9 rims all around and I know they're heavy as hell. If I had some lightweight wheels that'd really help the car out. My car is already heavy enough as it is haha!

Good luck with the mods! I'll let you know next time I head out there.

#13 ·
Sounds good let me know.

Yes the converter will help. I believe a 3600-3800 a guy is running on camaro6 cut a 1.5 60 with it and e85. Gtaklrss IIRC. Ran 11.5. He just went 10.8@125 with a cam.

Rear gear is 2:77 in the Camaros. Maybe a minor change to 3:08 would help like your car has but not sure it's worth it I'm near high 1.6s as well. Probably just do a converter eventually.

#19 ·
They have been tested same night on the track it's no different with cai. It is a mod for the future the car does not use/need the extra air when stock and stock parameters. It's common knowledge on the camaro boards. They have been shown to help extra with a tune or future mods that's why I got it... which I said earlier.

I got the rims for an extra set for the track and the sidewall. The tire is a 28.0 height and stock is 27.6. It's hurting my gearing actually.

They have also been tested in mags both bone stock. 2mph trap to camaro.

What else/other excuses you got. I talked the talk and walked the walk and still denial and no respect. Smdh
I've covered everything the cars are similar modded. As I said accept it or not I don't care. Very best case scenario which I don't agree skewing every point in your favor they could run exactly equal at best. No way on earth the Scat is faster. Period. Especially from a roll.

#21 ·
Again, your car with those "mods" and wheels/tires, which all basically hurt you I guess, versus that Scat set up that way...was quicker and faster on that day. I will not argue that.

#22 · (Edited)
I'm running M/T ET Street S/S drag radials in 275/40/R20 size. Stock 20x9 rims all around (bought two extras for the drag radials, wanted to it to look stock driving on the street, I leave them on most of the summer).

I didn't do a super scientific test but my car did seem to pick up a little with the air filter removed. I suppose next time I go out I could make a couple passes with it in and then remove it and try to keep everything else the same and see what happens. I'll say that I doubt it's going to make much of a difference either way. I just tried it back in the spring and the car seemed to pick up a little after that so I kept on doing it.

The cars aren't exactly the same, but they're pretty close, and to me they're close enough to make it a driver's race. If he gets me off the line a bit I most likely won't be able to run him down. If I get him off the line he'll likely not be able to run me down. Therefore it really comes down to who gets off the line first and if we hook up. They're both nice cars, both very similar in terms of performance, the GM/Ford guys generally have a bit more aftermarket options than us Mopar guys, but overall they're very close.

I just wanted to chime in since I was actual person, didn't want to start a Chevy vs Mopar fight, they're both cool cars, Troy is a nice guy, it's all good! :) Obviously most folks on here are going to be biased towards the Challenger as it's a Challenger site, but the Camaros do seem to trap just a hair higher than the 392's, most likely due to the weight difference, but it what it is.

I might try and make it out there again this fall, otherwise next spring I'll likely get a tuner/PCM and see if I can hit some 11.70's at 115-116mph and probably call it a day at that point. Beyond that the gains are small for money spent outside of going all out on a supercharger or getting a nitrous kit. Not really wanting to get into all that. But to me a 4100lb car running high 11's on the stock tune with a 1/2 tank of pump gas, drag radials, hellcat airbox, and Tazer is pretty impressive. Just about everyone at the track asked me what all I had done to it and when I told them it was still on the stock tune with just drag radials for the most part they were amazed.

We live in a great time as car enthusiasts right now. Bone stock cars for $40K or less running 11's with just sticky tires basically. That's flat out amazing! Years ago it took a TON of effort to get into the 11's, and even the 12's was pretty tough to do. I missed the first muscle car era, but at least I got to be a part of this one, even if it is quite a bit smaller with only a handful of cars to choose from. I've made 36 passes in my Scat Pack this year so far and 3 last year, definitely enjoying the heck out of this car! :)

#26 ·
Enjoyed reading all of the above discussions between the Camaro and Scat pack racers.
But when it got into some of the other discussions, it kind of reminded me of the Mustang forum discussions.
In any case I didn't notice any mention of the difference in HP. It would seem to me that would cancel out the weight difference.:shrug03:

#27 ·
The Challenger makes 25 more hp and 15 more tq. The Camaro is 400+ pounds lighter.

Reactions: Bad daytona
#28 ·
Yeah hopefully you Camaro guys can get a line lock feature soon. It's really nice to have for the track.

I think the 392 is 485hp vs the Camaro SS at 455hp I believe right? 30hp difference and 400lb weight difference. Makes them pretty close in performance.

They're both cool cars, both very fast, both fun to race at the track, and at the end of the day this stuff is all optional junk anyway. Bottom line we both put down some really good ET's and had a really good time, can't beat that!

#30 ·
Yeah hopefully you Camaro guys can get a line lock feature soon. It's really nice to have for the track.

I think the 392 is 485hp vs the Camaro SS at 455hp I believe right? 30hp difference and 400lb weight difference. Makes them pretty close in performance.

They're both cool cars, both very fast, both fun to race at the track, and at the end of the day this stuff is all optional junk anyway. Bottom line we both put down some really good ET's and had a really good time, can't beat that!
SAE sheet says 458.And they puut down more than a vette rated at 460 same dyno same day.

I would call them 460-465 but yes rating is stated to be 455...cater to the vette as usual. Even though we have tri y and make more power.

#31 ·
And yes I agree all this is just BS internet talking lol. But it can be good for wasting time at work haha

Yes it was fun as hell.

#33 ·
Good runs! I still think I would beat you quite a bit with my slicks even with slower et's and mph.
The weather is finally getting cooler too and Im hoping as well to see those 11s as well as you guys have.

#34 ·
What kind of slicks are you running? Are you using 17" rims? What 60ft times are you seeing with that setup? Always wondered what an A8 with 17" rims and true slicks would do off the line compared to 20" rims and drag radials.

#35 ·
I consistently run 1.8 to 1.9s with an occasional 1.7 in the mix and 7.75 to an 8.0 on the 1/8th. 12 flat to 12.3 been pretty average with temps in the low 90's or high humidity or both. Hot and muggy in Texas.
Im running 28x10 Hoosiers on a pair of 17" American Torq Thrust wheels and they hook every time.
I won the 12 -12.99 index bracket at Moparfest a few weeks ago and it was because of my reaction times and sticky tires. Ill never race on another drag radial again as there is no comparison between the two.
Yes they are that much better.
I do have a pcm and tuner heading my way next week sometime and my goal is a mid to high 11 consistently. We shall see.
As I was telling Ultra I dont see many Camaros in stock form or a few bolt ons added to compete with but when I do I will see if they will have a go or two.

Good thread and a good read Ultra! You may drive a Camaro but you are a racer and you got my respect now by doing what you said you would and proving it.

#39 ·
I consistently run 1.8 to 1.9s with an occasional 1.7 in the mix and 7.75 to an 8.0 on the 1/8th. 12 flat to 12.3 been pretty average with temps in the low 90's or high humidity or both. Hot and muggy in Texas.
Im running 28x10 Hoosiers on a pair of 17" American Torq Thrust wheels and they hook every time.
I won the 12 -12.99 index bracket at Moparfest a few weeks ago and it was because of my reaction times and sticky tires. Ill never race on another drag radial again as there is no comparison between the two.
Yes they are that much better.
I do have a pcm and tuner heading my way next week sometime and my goal is a mid to high 11 consistently. We shall see.
As I was telling Ultra I dont see many Camaros in stock form or a few bolt ons added to compete with but when I do I will see if they will have a go or two.

Good thread and a good read Ultra! You may drive a Camaro but you are a racer and you got my respect now by doing what you said you would and proving it.

thanks means a lot...especially from you lmao

#36 ·
Here is how they look.

Attachments

#37 ·
^ Cool man! Never ran a true slick before, always drag radials. What would you say is so much different between the two? What psi do you typically run in those? I know they're usually a lot lower than a radial tire.

Are those comparable to a 275/50/R17 M&H drag radial or are they a tad smaller in diameter?

I would think with a tuner you'll hit your goal of mid/high 11's. Keep us posted, I'm interested to hear the results myself as I'm looking to get a tuner next spring.

#38 ·
I run them at 19lbs.
Less burn out time and hardly no rubber thrown off to your quarter panels
Also I footbrake with the torque converter locked and then some.
It hooks and books every time

#41 ·
What size are you running?

Wow 19psi, I would have thought they'd be lower. I run my drag radials at 19psi.

Do you drive your car to the track with those on or do you swap them on there or trailer it?

28x10 Hoosier slick is what he said I think

I have out 60 footed every Camaro that runs the 28x10 hoosier on Camaro6. I like my m/t 305/45/17 et street r. I have been taught radial for auto up to the point of power levels not being able to hook anymore radial is faster. Manual you want the slick most of the time to help with the drivetrain shock. They wrinkle/give more to lessen the impact. You do not want to drive around on the street with a bias ply slick. They are not designed for that/constant speed. Im sure some do it though. You can also have erratic handling mixing radials and bias on the same car. you would want bias in the front as well. again im sure some do it. but I wouldn't. A bias ply tire is also lighter by a decent amount...but they balloon...so not sure if it would improve trap over a radial or not.

With stock power levels and stock converter you wont get much better than that 1.69. At least I have never heard of anything much better than that. My 1.71 is very very good for the SS as well. The scat looks like it will out 60ft a Camaro by a touch. Probably from the extra power, likely less torque management (mine has a ton lol) and better rear gears. Id do it for more consistency if anything. Or for the future if you do more mods. Id suggest the race star 17x9.5 and the mt 305/45/17 et street r. Once I started heating them properly I loved them. MT recommend 16-18 psi for best performance. But they are some coin at 300 a pop.

#44 ·
No you cant drive with slicks on the road and you have to tote them with you. This is a downside and a trade off compared to the drag radials.
In comparison to other Scats with the same trans on Drag radials when they hook they do very well but as I have mentioned several times is that they are not consistent and that is where I will have the advantage plus maybe a few more years seat time kinda helps too.

I beat a lot of folks out there with running a slower et and even lower mph. You win by your reaction times and traction between these two as Ultra has mentioned.

Slicks are my preference because they have proved it to me and some of you may take this as arrogance but I am being very confident in my statements and have proved it several times to my buddies out there scratching their heads wondering how the hell did they lose when they were faster than me on paper but was behind me on the trap light.
For those of you that dont believe me thats fine. Just make sure you dont line up against me at the strip.
Yea the slicks are the chit.

#47 ·
I know you ran Nittos last summer, I did too. This year I hve been driving around on Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S 275/40s and they are so much better than the Nittos. Great at the strip, like 100% of the time they hook hard, and they are great on the street too. For $30 more per tire over the Nittos they are twice as good. When you factor in that you can drive around on the street(my stoplight wars this summer have been more fun that my drag strip races!) and to and from the track I think they become the best option for most. Just IMHO :smile:

#45 ·
5oh that is some great times you run but now we are getting to bolt ons which kinda throws a wrench in this equation.
A buddy of mine is running a tb, tune, and exhaust on his Stang and is hovering around a 12 flat just on street tires and that is some damn good times. Giving me fits for sure but I was having traction issues when I was racing him.
If we went just bone stock between the three and all added a cai the stang would just flat out be third on the list every time.
I believe your mods make this debate null.
Aint hating on ya but we got to draw the line somewhere.
Even with Ultras Camaro he is pushing the excuse of the Scat and the tazer. The tazer only gives you what the SRT has on the transmission shift points but in reality I dont think it helps much in comparison to sport mode. I have the Tazer too and dont use the line lock. I dont need it.
My times right now are based on a K&N Typhoon cai and slicks. No tb, intake, or major exhaust work done other than removing my mid pipes which I just did last weekend and havent raced again yet.
Next time around I will have to say I have a tune so my arguments may be vague too in the future

#46 · (Edited)
5oh that is some great times you run but now we are getting to bolt ons which kinda throws a wrench in this equation.
You are correct about my particular Mustang not being an apples-to-apples comparison because of the mods I've done, but it really isn't modded much. However, I bought it brand new and I have quite a few acquaintances who own Coyotes, so I know how fast they run pure factory stock. I have been drag racing since 1982 and spend a lot of time racing at our two local tracks. I spend a lot of time in the staging lanes chatting with fellow racers who own all sorts of cars, so I am well aware of how quick stock and modded cars are running.

Stock Coyote automatics run mid to high 12's @ 109-111 pure factory stock. That's right in the thick of things against a new SS or SP, and with factory tires (no DR's or slicks), it'll come down to driver skill to find traction. I've seen plenty of 5.0L, SS/ZL1, and Hemi owners just blaze the tires and run 13's or even 14's. So many amateurs at the track who have too much adrenaline when they line up and they just mash the loud pedal. Getting any of these cars into the mid 12's pure stock on stock tires is awesome. Knowing that each of them can run mid to high 11's with minor mods is icing on the cake. These are definitely the "good old days."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.