Dodge Challenger Forum banner

New To Drag Radials: ? About Nitto NT555R

19K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  dragrcr 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a drag radial tire that can be street driven regularly, but also work well (enough) at the track.

My '15 SRT 392 only has a cold air intake, but besides that it's stock on a stock tune. Point being I'm not having to tame an overabundance of horsepower.

From what I've read online the Nitto NT555R has the right balance of street and track I'm looking for. I just have a few questions.

1. I'm leaning toward the tire size that matches the car's stock size exactly, 275/40/20. But will the 305/35/20 fit on the wheel and have no issues with rubbing?

2. My local Firestone told me I can order the tires and ship them to their location, and they will install them for me. Is there anything special they need to know, or do they just balance and mount them like any other tire?

3. What pressure should I run on the street and at the dragstrip?

4. On the Nitto website they rate the max load capacity to 1874 lbs. I'm assuming that's PER wheel, correct? Meaning as long as the rear end doesn't weigh more than 3,748 lbs?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Are you saying you are going to buy another set of stock rims? So they match? Or another 20X9.5 Rim? Why not get a 10" so you can run the 305's? You are going to struggle with the 275's. With the NT555R's in a 305 you are going to have issues UNLESS you run at a really well prepped track and/or you know what you are doing. I ran lots of different tires on my 2015 SRT 392 and I ran at Irwindale that can be challenging most of the time.

If you are going to use stock rims you are kind of screwed because the 275's won't hook and the 305's will be too wide on the rims compromising the footprint somewhat. If you go this way I would run 18 PSI in them at the track and do a good static burnout. The NT555R will need a good burnout to hook. Maybe if your track preps really well you can get away with a shorter burnout. But I found that I needed to go down to a pretty low pressure and to do a long burnout when the chips are down (mustang in the other lane).

If you are going to buy new rims I would get the Bravado Tribute 18X10 and run a 305/45R18. I had a couple sets of those and liked them a lot.

Yes it is 1874 pounds each tire. More than enough and more than the rim is rated for.

#5 ·
I have to second what dragrcr said. A good hooking DR on the street will not last terribly long and the 20' wheel is also a compromise for traction at the track, the 305 45 18 Drag radial works great at the track and it doesn't kill my street tires. I currently run a hellcat airbox, otherwise stock.

#6 ·
Do you run the summer Pirellis or all seasons? the summer Pirellis do really well above 50 deg.

#7 ·
I run all seasons. I bought a set of BFGoodRich SportComp2 Summer tires, and I can manage to get in the 1.87 range with a good launch, but normally 1.9x on those. Right now the Pirallis are back on my car and I'm going to put the SportComps up for sale.

I get that there are better drag radials, and certainly better sizes. But will the NT 555-R's launch noticeably better?

#8 ·
I ran the nittos last summer, I have Mickey thompsons this year. 275/40r20. For $40 more per tire the Mickeys are worth it, that said I always thought the nittos were just fine and hooked pretty damn hard. You can't straight stomp on it, but you have a pretty high traction threshold and a quick burnout to heat them up and they bite real nice. I daily drive on drag radials and it's awesome!!!...kind of do a summer tire and winter tire thing here and I just plan on them lasting one summer season. I would recommend about 25 pounds for daily driving, otherwise you will wear our the middle of the tire too fast. Drop them down of course at the track.

Reactions: PsyopGoat
#10 ·
I have the e.t. Street s/s and yes there is a slight handling imbalance with the factory tires on the front, nothing crazy that you can't feel or accommodate for, and IMO the trade off is worth it to get that monster hook!!!! I'm always ready! :)

#12 ·
That is the type of Mickey Thompsons I have...

#25 ·
How would a full tank of gas that weighs about 150 and additional weight in the truck help?

My thought.....reducing weight = lighter car = faster ET's. Are you saying that the extra weight helps launches? And giving up on your ET's?

#26 ·
If you have a nice 305 wide drag radial and a dead stock 5.7 in an older R/T with the 5 speed auto then you car would definitely be faster with 1/4th tank of gas and an empty trunk. But with the 392 and the 8 speed auto things can be challenging. Or a Hellcat with a Nitto NT555R things can be challenging.

Yes, if you get the car to dead hook it will get a better ET at the Drag Strip. Sometimes the added weight is an advantage. With the super low gear of the 8 speed auto these cars can achieve some pretty incredible performance for the unusually heavy weight that they are.

I know my car would be faster without the added weight, but I race at Irwindale and I want to lay down a pass EVERY time I go down the Track.

Bottom line is if you spin you will never get the same ET as if you dead hooked. A Guy with another Hellcat and NT555R's and 1/4 tank of Gas and an empty trunk would be a sitting duck against me. I would bet money on it. Literally.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.