Dodge Challenger Forum banner

New PB in SP - 12.039 @ 117.70

5K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  John Matthews 
#1 ·
Finally got it to hook and had a good pass.

DA was 2,500 ft.

60'... 1.773
1/8... 7.751
MPH... 91.03
1/4... 12.039
MPH... 117.70

Corrects to 11.68@121.36 mph

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Next up...

Cooler air
Race tune from Johan
VP 109

My goal is 11.69.

That, to my knowledge, would be the fastest N/A Challenger w/ stock heads, cam and no headers.

One complaint about the car:

It is short shifting on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift.

5,800 rpms is all I'm getting. It than shifts at 6,200 rpms on the 3-4... didn't check the 4-5.

The 1-2 is too fast to manually shift, but 5,800 rpms sucks!.

I saw it in my data logs and hoped it wouldn't do it at the track.

#3 ·
Next up...

Cooler air
Race tune from Johan
VP 109

My goal is 11.69.

That, to my knowledge, would be the fastest N/A Challenger w/ stock heads, cam and no headers.

Thats is awesome man! Congrats on the new PB!!! Would love to see some video of that bad boy in action.

#6 ·
I ran 116 mph last week spinning, so I was expecting the MPH to drop with a solid hook.

I should gain at least another 1-2 mph in the fall.

118-119 mph equates more to a 11.4 - 11.5 run, which the car isn't going to do.

So.. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

#8 ·
What are your mods, just a tune & drag radials?

#9 ·
Johan custom email tune
JLT Intake
Zoomers exhaust
275/45/18 M&H Drag Radials

#14 ·
:grin2:Wow. Congratulations! I knew that Bravado 18x10 & 275 18" M&H DR could do it...and with more left in it. I think it's the ticket. Less is more for now.

That mph is ridiculous and I'm with you on the confusion of a better 60ft but mph went up..? Something went right, regardless.

Great ET at that DA.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

#16 · (Edited)
I kinda got to doubting if the MPH I ran was really right. However, I remembered to check the top speed in the display in the car.

It reads 120 mph. The track is the fastest I've had the car and I always let out right after the traps.

I have to believe its accurate, because I turned 114.66 before the tune and this was launching with TC fully on and it bogging the car while still spinning.

I ran another pass last night at 117.10 and two more at 116.73, so it did fall off with heat soak.

I had to really put some heat on the M&H's. A light burnout won't do it. On the two passes it dead hooked, I could actually feel and hear the tires sticking to the track. I knew then it would hook.

I still believe Hoosier slicks are a little more "operator friendly", but you can't drive to the track on them.

I'm pleased with the setup so far. Track prep was pretty crappy last night, so if it will hook then it should really hook on a decent prepped surface.

Reactions: Intense
#15 ·
Great run and really great trap speed, this fall with good air should really produce some good numbers.

I agree with you on the shift rpms, with the A5 my times are always better when I can shift at a bit higher than the stock rpms shift points. If the 1-2 shift comes on too fast to manually shift it might be a while until a solution is out there. For the older cars there are a few options but nothing yet that I know of for the 2015's. Hopefully someone comes out with something like the Tranzformer or re-programed TCM for the A8's.

Reactions: kenandjenn4551
#17 ·
5,800 rpms sucks, but the A8 hides it well due to the tight ratios between 1-2. The 2-3 isn't as tight though, so that hurts.

I even tried bumping the car to manual mode and it still shifted short. I corrected the tire size with my tuner, so that didn't affect the car.

I would really love to shift at 6,400 rpms, because you really should shift about 300 rpms over peak power, so that you fall right back into peak torque.

I believe some of the really fast A5 guys are shifting at around 6,600 rpms. I think this is what KJ392 said he was doing.

#19 ·
Congrats on the great run!

I wouldn't put too much faith in the horsepower calculators, they're pretty generic and make a lot of assumptions that don't allow for things like the A8 transmission and a big, wide flat power band like the 392 enjoys. Peak horsepower makes for a nice number but what really matters is the power you are making thru the range of RPMs as you go down the track. That's where the 392 and A8 make for a formidable combination.

#21 ·
True, the 392 and A8 is not your average combo. I've always believed these cars are close to 500 h.p. stock, so I'd like to think I'm at 525 - 530 crank, or at least should be in cooler air.

I lost right at 1 mph from running on a cooler, non-heat soaked engine compared to a heat soaked engine after hot lapping. I believe 1 mph probably equates to 10-12 h.p.

#22 ·
Wow, great pass!!!

I know I asked you this before, but have you ever raced it in drive but bump the left paddle shifter to 1 which forces it to wind it out to redline? It will force it to shift at redline in each successive gear as you run out the 1/4 mile pass. I would be interested to see what a data log would look like in that mode too.

#25 · (Edited)
I actually tried that method on my last pass of the night. It still shifted the same. The 1-2 may have held a touch longer... maybe 5,900... but it was no where near 6,400 rpm.

I also did a data log at one point with that method and it shifted at 5,8xx on the 2-3 shift.

The 3-4 occurs between 6,000 and 6,200. Never below 6,000. I haven't data logged the 4-5 shift, but I would assume it hits around 6,200.

I emailed Tranzformer today and they believe they can eventually take control of the 2015 A8.

#23 ·
EVIC results:

0-60... 3.8
1/8... 7.7
1/4... 11.9

Extremely accurate, IMO.

Reactions: EricG
#24 ·
I agree they have it pretty dialed in on these 2015 models.

#26 ·
Great passes man. Car seems like it's hauling ass. 117mph is a great MPH with just a custom tune and DRs. The 60ft can still come down some in better DA which would lead to a 11.x second pass for sure. A low 1.7x will get you there. I think next spring I'm going to get a custom tune from HHP plus the DR combo. On an early spring or late fall pass where I live we can see 1000 DA or even lower on a 60 degree night and good track prep. Looking forward to more of your passes. Glad it hooked this time around and that it was a productive trip to the track this time.

#27 · (Edited)
Great passes man. Car seems like it's hauling ass. 117mph is a great MPH with just a custom tune and DRs. The 60ft can still come down some in better DA which would lead to a 11.x second pass for sure. A low 1.7x will get you there. I think next spring I'm going to get a custom tune from HHP plus the DR combo. On an early spring or late fall pass where I live we can see 1000 DA or even lower on a 60 degree night and good track prep. Looking forward to more of your passes. Glad it hooked this time around and that it was a productive trip to the track this time.
I ordered a API 84mm throttle body and Johan provided me a race tune to try. Maybe I can get another tenth with those additions.

In October or November, I should see around a 500 ft DA.

I will use a 50/50 mix of 93 octane and VP109 for the race tune.

#33 ·
Damn impressive! Scat Pack is the one I eventually want to get if I don't mod my R/T.

#34 ·
12 flat @ 117 is freakishly good for a SP with a tune and mild bolt-ons.

If you shift at 6400 with the A8 trans you will be past the TQ peak in 2nd - the gear spacing is super narrow. I think shifting right at the HP peak of 6000-6100 (once they figure out how to allow it) will yield the best results with this trans. But we'll see...

#35 ·
12 flat @ 117 is freakishly good for a SP with a tune and mild bolt-ons.

If you shift at 6400 with the A8 trans you will be past the TQ peak in 2nd - the gear spacing is super narrow. I think shifting right at the HP peak of 6000-6100 (once they figure out how to allow it) will yield the best results with this trans. But we'll see...
Yeah, I thinking the same thing on the tight ratios of the A8. With the TaZer installed, I can get the 1-2 and 2-3 to now bump to 6,100 - 6,200. This will be perfect.

I'm going back to the track on Friday and the weather looks promising. Hopefully I will have a sub 2,000 ft DA.

I will be running with the new 84mm throttle body and will also be able to utilize Track mode now. It should hit 11's.

I'm not sure if I'll use the race tune or not. My VP109 has shipped, but it may not make it by Friday.

That might get me 11.8's with a solid hook.

#36 ·
Actually - I just checked and I was wrong. Shifting at 6400 in 1st will put you smack dab on the TQ peak (4000-4100) in 2nd. Agree with your thinking and this should generate the best ET.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.