Dodge Challenger Forum banner

O_Racing @ Pocono, NASA, HPDE 2

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  joelvan 
#1 ·
finally got that Go Pro stuff sorted out; gotta learn how to position this thing; shaky and noisy

session 4 is the one to watch, others 2 and 3 are ok but marred with traffic, slow cars and me running the track for the first time; session 4 is where i apex right and put the car on the concrete curb to get the best radius to be faster; still lots of learning here as i blew a few significant apexes

running with a 85 deg ambient temp; oil temp reached 263, with 215 deg on ECT; 180 deg stat;
i have the car on TORCO octane booster so i am running near the 95 mark or a bit higher with hemifever tune, traction control off, with BBS CHR 315/35 on the rear and 275/35 in front; CAI AFE, Magnaflow 16885, Fastman TB 84mm

most of the track is done in 3rd with a 4th in the back straight taking the car to 120/125...i know i am a chicken, but with brake issues i am not playing daredevil and sending $55k in the trash...

tried second gear in the slow corners but i was running too high in rpm for too long for no added value, so chose the easy way with 3rd gear all around

the wheels are heavy and need to go away when on track; can't wait for my 18's and slicks

brembo decals became yellow due to excessive heat on the calipers and i messed up my carbotech xp 10 bedding and got lots of braking issues all day;
re-bedded them last night so we should be good for this week end at lightning course

screwed in a metal plate on the throttle pedal so was able to play with heel and toe and balance the car with part throttle and braking; still needs some work; did not use lots of trail braking, rather tried to have a clean braking, then an clean attack of the apex and track out; so worked the lines and followed the cones

track at pocono infield has lots of off camber turns so it surprises you when u don't expect it; you have to play nice!! see session 4 at the 14:00 minute mark with my buddy in the M3 can't take my heat (he is a former US Team Ski Champ) and shows me how to do it in the dirt...lol....we laughed

session 4 is where i was told i was hauling ass (HPDE all things considered, Sena, Prost, Schumacher are hauling ass), so be it...

lots of traffic all day with a lot of slower cars so got many trains to deal with where i got a warning in session 3 and the inspector gave me a verbal....on video (at end), lol

ODP

session 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDDVtulXHEU

session 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwXPHmVooVY

session 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0qoV2jQOq8

See less See more
#2 ·
They should be yelling at the people holding you up and not moving over giving a pass signal. :D

Great vids!! Makes me want to get back out on the road course to legally exceed the speed limit!

Reactions: O_Racing
#3 ·
Right on! Nice drivin' man!

#4 ·
Thanks for posting the videos looks like a great time.

Take it easy
Jay

#7 ·
Freakin' awesome!

Been going to Pocono since I was a little kid for NASCAR races but never been to a track day there. Would love to do a meet & greet / cruise type thing with some other CT members and head out to Pocono next time this comes around.

#8 ·
yes, the infield is about 1.5 years old and the track as a result is slippery; needs to be broken in; we need more challengers out there; 3 peeps took pix of my challenger to prove to their challenger owner friends that guys do take their challenger to the track; so why not you

i think challengers have the heritage of the strip embedded in them which is fine but we can start to change that

we were 2 challengers but the other guy is not on CT and was pretty discrete and very careful with his car; he had a 392, 2012, with 275's all around on blackpockets, with tune, flowmasters and hotchkis suspension

all u need to do is to register with NASA and pay 48 USD or near; the track fee depends; it ain't cheap but it is worth the experience and the fun with other challengers; we can exchange knowledge, experiences and that is very valuable

ODP

Reactions: wasp392
#9 ·
I would be interested in the track part in a few months, more than likely not until the spring. Not even through break-in yet, and would like to be a little bit lower and be a little bit better of a driver before hitting the track.

Would like to watch some track-day excitement and shoot some photos though, if this were to happen sometime soon

#10 ·
BMW schmeemw. Ultimate Driving Machine...............my ASS! Thank you for that video. :IThankYou:

#11 ·
lol thank you

really depends on the driver and the race track

M3's are mean machines right out of the box especially the last gen;

at Pocono they did not flare better; but on a faster course we have a real hard time following without upgraded suspension and tires

these guys need to do nothing and the car is a kicker from the onset; it was also $20k to $30k more expensive at the dealer

ODP

#14 ·
Big JoelVan fan here! I never was much good at physics, but I have flung a few fat Dodges. :D

#15 · (Edited)
I watched video #4 and I noticed that there were no point by and you passed them. NASA Texas region you need to be HPDE4 for that. Also, we run DE 1&2 together and 3&4 together. The 3s still have to give point bys and the 4s can't pass a 3 without a point by. Also, we wouldn't yell or scream at anybody in DE 1&2 if they cause a train. We would have them pull into the hot pits and let others go by. If you find your stuck in a train and the engineer doesn't pull into the hot pits, you can and let everyone get a good distance a head of you and you should have clear track from that point.

#17 ·
I use SPC adjustable UCAs up front and SPC camber bushings out back currently. I like the Speedlogix adjustable rear UCAs but they're $$$.

#19 ·
most of the times i go with point by and some i come down fast and i blow through them; pls don't tell tale on me....lol... we do our after session debrief so we are all set and apology to each other and among ourselves

personally i don't run DOT slicks or any racing tires so running camber changes on Nitto 05 is superfluous, imo

imo, once i have a suspension that is worth named that, and some 18" slicks on then camber comes into play; until then lowering that brick is my only need which of course then involves camber adjustment

ODP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.