Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Smallest DR for the back of a Scatpack / SRT?

10K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Ram1723 
#1 ·
Whats the smallest wheel you can get on the back of a Scatpack? I believe the brakes are the same as the 2011-14 SRT's. I have a new set of 295/50r17 drag radials, but not sure if a 17x10 wheel will fit and clear the Brembo's. Would 18's be feasible? I don't want to go up to a 20" drag radial, I want more sidewall height.

#2 ·
I think the wheel size is going to dictate what you do. I could not find a decent 17X10 wheel with the proper bolt pattern that is cheap. You can go with a forged weld wheel etc but those are expensive (ok if you have the dough). If I were you and you want sidewall height I would go with this wheel and tire. You will need hub-centric rings and they can provide then when you buy.

2 New 18x10 20 Offset 5x115 Bravado Tribute Black Wheels Rims | eBay

Nitto NT 555 R Tire 305 45 18 blackwall 180690 Set of 2 | eBay

Mickey Thompson Et Street Radial II Tire 305 45 18 blackwall 3786R Set of 2 | eBay

#4 ·
Cobra 5X114.3 wheels will fit fine and there are tons to choose from. Not many 5 X 115 out there as you have found. You can also get a 315 hoosier on a 9" rim. Those worked great on the A5s but the 18" may be the way to go with the A8 and a taller tire. Don't shy away from the 114.3 in either the 17" or the 18" wheels. They center up fine if you snug them with the wheel in the air. I had no issues with three different sets of cobra knock offs.
Downside to going taller is you don't get much gearing benefit so your in the traps at a low RPM in 5th which is leaving some ET on the table.

#5 ·
No, it's just not safe to use a smaller bolt circle, it puts extra stress on the studs, and drag racing just makes it worse. I would rather spend more money and get the right wheel.

#18 ·
No, it's just not safe to use a smaller bolt circle, it puts extra stress on the studs, and drag racing just makes it worse. I would rather spend more money and get the right wheel.
Dont get the OEM Cobra wheels, get knockoffs and the tolerances allow them to fit perfectly. I ran them for 4 seasons on my SRT8 Challenger with best run of 11.82 and absolutely zero issues. Probably ran 300 passes at least.

I have them for sale now, shame you not closer.

#6 ·
I went with a Vision Legend 18x9.5 and Nitto 555's 275x40x18 on all 4 corners. Changed the effective rear end ration to 3.23 . Lowered the car and additional .75" Steering is near nuetral and the car handles like it's on rails. The Nitto's are the stickiest street tire I've used with little or no spinning regardless of how I launch. Havent been to the strip due to adverse weather conditions, but expect to improve my 60' by .2 over the BFG's

#8 · (Edited)
My car was fastest/quickest in the 1/4 with a final ratio of ~3.23 (26" DRs). I would loose a tenth with 28" DRs but they were better for bracket racing. You should be able to better your 1/8th & 1/4 time considerably if you can rip off a 1.8X 60' You got that thing humming...

#9 ·
I could not find a 17" tire anywhere near stock height. And I cannot stand those dinky short tires on my car. Not worth the extra tenth in et. Sure I know it might et better but that is so wrong. I would just stick nitrous on it if I HAD to see a smaller number on my time slip.

With that being said, if you did not worry about cost I would definitely go with a 18X10 (5X115) Weld RTS S77 with a high pad height, +28 offset and a Mickey Thompson ET Street R in a 305/45 R18. Those wheels are $661 plus shipping mounting etc. but would be so bad ass. Your car would hook anywhere with minimal burnout and not look goofy. Just remember any of these tires require inner wheel tub mods that are simple to make.

#20 ·
I have the 15 scat pack A8

Running currently with the cobra knock off and m&h 275/50 r17s and it's about 28" diameter...

Cut a 1.7 60'

View attachment 419362

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Those were my favorite tire. Great road manners and they lasted longer than the 275/40/17 M&Hs and the 315/35/17 Hoosiers. I could get a whole season out of them which is long here in Texas.
Once they wear, you might start having hooking issues but easily controlled with your right foot. You can fit a 315 width Hoosier on 9" rims if the 275s don't cut it after they wear or once you get tuned and reduce the tq mgmnt.
That is a great 1/8th ET, congrats.
I ran the 275/50/17s for 1/8th mile bracket racing for years and the 26" tall M&Hs and Hoosiers for the 1/4 as I could get through the traps at 6640 RPM in 3rd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.