How to change a head light bulb - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
How-To, DIY and Tips & Tricks Search for them here or contribute your own... *NOTE: This info is contributed by users like you - use the techniques outlined herein with caution and at your own risk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How to change a head light bulb

OK, so determined my head light bulb is going bad. So I looked at where the bulb is, i removed the dust cover that sits over the top from of the engine bay. Then pulled off the round shaped dust cover covering where the bulb sits. It is fairly hard to see any further. How do you change the bulb from there? Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 PM

(Thread Starter)
OK, so took a picture of the bulb, I see that the bracket is holding it but not sure how to remove it.. Seems like i a going to have to remove the inner fender well to gain access. This bulb is located on the passengers side. Does anyone know how to remove the bracket?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	55448  
#3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think you have to squeeze the bracket together.

2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
Check us out at http://www.spacecitylx.com
#4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Try twisting it.

2010 SRT8 6-Speed HO
Purchased new 06/29/10

Mopar CAI
Mopar Cat Back
Mopar Strut Tower Brace
Skip Shift Eliminator
Mopar short throw shifter with Mopar carbon fiber knob
Tinted Windshield, sides, back, fogs, marker lights
LockPic V.4 w/front and rear cameras
DRL's on
Billet Technologies Interior Bling
ReBadge Design and Graphics Nose Badge
Diablosport inTune programmer
180 thermostat
#5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
DO NOT TWIST ANYTHING!

From the service manual:

Grasp the tabs (4) of the spring steel igniter retainer (1), one at a time, and pull them toward the side and away from the igniter connector far enough to disengage the retainer from the latch feature on each side of the igniter receptacle (2). 7. With the latch feature on each side of the igniter retainer disengaged, remove the retainer from the igniter receptacle.

8. Pull the igniter (3) and lighting element (1) unit straight out of the igniter receptacle.

2015 Hellcat on order
2009 Challenger SRT8
2010 Jeep GC SRT8
11 GMC Sierra Ext Cab, LB
69 Pontiac Grand Prix 428
#6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 03:00 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waumo View Post
DO NOT TWIST ANYTHING!

From the service manual:

Grasp the tabs (4) of the spring steel igniter retainer (1), one at a time, and pull them toward the side and away from the igniter connector far enough to disengage the retainer from the latch feature on each side of the igniter receptacle (2). 7. With the latch feature on each side of the igniter retainer disengaged, remove the retainer from the igniter receptacle.

8. Pull the igniter (3) and lighting element (1) unit straight out of the igniter receptacle.
That's what I'm talking about. I'll take video of how to do it when I change it out. Waiting for delivery of the bulb, probably tackle the job next week. It needs an oil change too. Thanks for the info.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
looks tricky!

#8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 01:17 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well, I didnt take video since rain was threatening and wanted to get it down. Took front wheel and loosened the front area of the wheel well. I pulled down on the wheel well to gain access to the bulb. In the attached pic you will see two tabs at the bottom of the bracket holding the bulb int place. Gently push each tab away from the center until it disengages. You will hear a snap. Once you release the second side the bracket it will fall loose. In the pic you will see the connector (at the bottom/center). Gently hold bulb in place and with two fingers push down and release the connector. Remove the bulb. The old bulb has sort of a twisted silver foil ring which the new one did not have so I removed it and put on the new bulb. Reverse this process to install the new bulb. If I knew any of this I would have probably been able to do it without loosening the wheel well. In the middle of the new bulb is a bubble is was brownish is color. The new one is clear. Replacing the bulb fixed the problem and despite being 3.5 years old the light coming from both bulbs looks the same. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	573
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	55801   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.JPG
Views:	613
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	55802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	55803  
#9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The service manual cautions to reinstall the "twisted foil ring" with the new lamp so you did it correctly.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waumo View Post
The service manual cautions to reinstall the "twisted foil ring" with the new lamp so you did it correctly.
Awesome, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > How-To, DIY and Tips & Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode