How To: Changing the battery on the FOBIK key fob - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > How-To, DIY and Tips & Tricks

How-To, DIY and Tips & Tricks Search for them here or contribute your own... *NOTE: This info is contributed by users like you - use the techniques outlined herein with caution and at your own risk

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How To: Changing the battery on the FOBIK key fob

Hey everyone. I just changed the batteries in both key fobs for my Challenger today. So I figured, why not take some photos and share them? It's pretty easy, and I'm sure most people could figure it out on their own, but what the heck...

Step 1: The FOBIK key fob. Duh!

Step 2: Remove the emergency key from the rest of the fob by sliding the switch to release the key.

Step 3: Using either a small screwdriver or the blade of the emergency key itself, insert the tool into the small slot next to the key slot and pry upwards. This should start the process of splitting the FOBIK into two halves.

Step 4: After the split is started, carefully pull apart the two halves of the FOBIX, starting at the pry spot and working your way towards the tip. This should be fairly easy, but don't force it.

Step 5: Separate the buttons and circuit board out of the back half of the FOBIK. That section should just pull right out.

Step 6: You should now see the battery. NOTICE that it is positive (+) side down. Use the screwdriver, or a fingernail to pry up on the battery on the side away from the metal contacts to remove it from the holder.

You will now see that the battery says CR2032. This is a common battery and is available at most auto stores or anywhere watch batteries are sold. I bought a two pack (for both of my fobs) of Energizer batteries from Walgreens labeled 2032, Don't worry, they are the same thing. I've also seen LB2032, still the same.

Step 7: Install the new battery POSITIVE (+) SIDE DOWN. The battery should slip under the metal clip slightly then drop into its spot.

Step 8: Reassemble the FOBIK in the reverse order you took it apart. First place the button/circuit board section into the back half of the FOBIK. Then place the front half of the FOBIK over the rest of the assembly, pressing the tip part together first. Finally, working your way from the tip to the slotted end press the two halves together, making sure it fully clicks together. Slip the emergency key back into it's spot and you're done!

The whole process only takes 1 or 2 minutes.

http://www.norcalchallengers.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DragCad Racing For This Useful Post:
ND RAM (02-18-2014), Wizard of Iz (10-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 07:34 PM

Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great info thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Thanks my evic told me tonite that my fobik battery was low. I'll change it this week
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Great write up. Thanx for posting.

I hear a little alcohol to clean off the contacts under the rubber buttons is a good thing to do as well. Did you note if the rubber buttons just pull off to reveal the contacts or not?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Originally Posted by raVenX View Post
I hear a little alcohol to clean off the contacts under the rubber buttons is a good thing to do as well. Did you note if the rubber buttons just pull off to reveal the contacts or not?
I didn't note that, but I just checked (it really is easy to take these apart, but maybe I shouldn't do it so much ). The rubber buttons come off the circuit board easily, revealing the contacts. Mine looked in good shape with no discoloration or deposits. This may be a precaution to take if your keys have seen water or you live in a moist area. Thanks for making the suggestion.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Great info....This is part of what makes Challengertalk such a good forum.

Thanks for posting this.....

2009 HO R/T- sold............
2011 GWE SRT8.........

Mods: 1st GWE/white rally stripes, Sequential tail lights, BT catch can &
GWE engine bling, Sill guards, Custom painted half covers, Torque Thrust Wheels
Drag radials, Cutouts, 180 T-stat, Hurst line locks & shifter, Hood pins, Fastman TB
SLX Strut tower brace, Billet strut covers, Jina's embroidery, Green trim
12.291 @112 mph

01/20/13....are you people idiots?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great job! Thanks for taking the time to post pictures along with an explanation for each step.

Duster

March 25, 2009 - Ordered

July 8, 2009 - Rolled over to a 2010

Home - October 17, 2009. Yes, 7 months of waiting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > How-To, DIY and Tips & Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.