Dodge Challenger Forum banner

I didn't know that ... Challenger Tips and Tricks

471K views 207 replies 127 participants last post by  btcaub 
#1 · (Edited)
Searching through many of the other Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep websites, I have compiled a list of TIPS and TRICKS for the Challenger (albeit, a lot of it was "borrowed" from the Charger forum). Some of these tips and tricks you may already know of, some you would never have discovered and still some have that Wow factor.

Feel free to PM me with any other little tips and tricks that you feel need to be included or with any corrections that you may find. Have fun!

1. The push button start button can be popped off with your fingers by slipping a fingernail under the bottom and pulling the button towards yourself. The key fob can then be inserted into the hole and used to start in the car by turning it to the right. This can be used in the case of a "key fob not detected" message or a push button start failure.

2. If you have the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) option, you can activate its hidden "extended" mode by holding down both the COMPASS and MUSIC NOTE buttons together for 7-10 seconds anytime the key is in the ON position (engine running/car moving or even engine off). Cycle through the series of various displays (such as a large-font digital speedometer) by using the up/down arrow switch on the left of the steering wheel. Caveat: It's not wise to start changing things unless you're confident that you know what you are doing. To get back to the normal EVIC operation, press the COMPASS button once again.

3. On R/Ts with automatics (24J package) built after November 17, 2008 that have the Multi-Displacement System (MDS), there is a way to enable/disable the Economy Mode (ECO) indicator and/or change it to an icon. Using the "extended" EVIC display (mentioned above) scroll through until you find Personal Settings, then toggle down a few clicks and you'll find "ECO Display." There you will find the option to turn the ECO notification ON or OFF. Note: This does not turn MDS off, only the indicator light. Also, on some software versions, there is an option to change the ECO that appears on the EVIC when MDS is activated to an icon such as a leaf, or a globe, or variations of a few ECO icons.

4. If you gently push IN on the signal/wiper lever (along the length of the shaft), you can get the wipers to swipe JUST ONCE (without using washer fluid). Handy feature in light misty driving conditions.

5. If you actuate the turn signal lever either way and let go quickly without pushing it far enough to latch into the fixed position for signaling, the signals will flash three times and stop. Handy for merging into traffic and freeway lane changes.

6. Pressing the stick pin button on the trip odometer for a moment will cycle the odometer display between Total miles, Trip A and Trip B. If you DON'T have the EVIC option, the display cycle will also include the outside temperature. If either of the trip odometer's are currently displayed and this knob is held in for a second or two, that trip odometer will be reset to 0.0 mi. (This may or may not work depending on your software version).

7. You probably know by now that the high-beam headlights are switched on by pushing the turn-signal lever towards the dash until it latches, but did you know when in low-beam position, if you PULL the lever TOWARDS you you can activate the high-beams momentarily, until you let go? Great for telling that slow poke in front of you to yield to the bad ass. Also, by pulling back on the lever, it does NOT turn off the fog lamps. A quick way to get MAXIMUM light ahead. Otherwise, pushing the lever forward to "lock" the high beams on will turn the fog lamps off.

8. The factory oil filters have been installed by a 900 lb. gorilla with a 30 inch wrench! They are VERY difficult to remove. You might want to consider having the first oil change done by the dealer, even if you do it yourself every other time!

9. Like driving with your headlights on in the daytime for safety? Instead, think thought about having your Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) enabled! It runs your parking lamps (the orange ones) at a greater intensity whenever the headlights are OFF. It takes a trip to the dealer to get them activated because it requires the car to be hooked up to the StarScan module. After that, with the press of a few buttons on StarScan, you're ready to go.

10. Inside the fuel door is a little hook in which to hang your fuel cap, by the cord, so that the cap doesn't hang down against the car.

11. There's a way to disable the seat belt reminder chime: Step 1. With the ignition switch in any position except On or Start, buckle the driver side front seat belt. Step 2. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and wait for the seat belt indicator reminder function to conclude (about six seconds). Step 3. Unbuckle and buckle the driver side front seat belt three or more times, ending with the belt buckled. Step 4. Turn the ignition switch to any position except On or Start to toggle the belt-minder feature from its current setting (from active to inactive, or from inactive to active). A single chime tone will provide an audible confirmation that the programming sequence has been successfully completed. (This does NOT disable the INITIAL chime, only the nagging repeats every few seconds).

12. Tired and ashamed of having to use the prop-rod to keep your hood open? You can buy Mopar hood struts to do the job for about $55. A five minute install and if you look under the hood, you'll notice, near the hinge, that you already have one-half of the ball joints installed on the hood. To install, start the bolt provided into the hole in the fender and apply pressure while tightening with your deep socket wrench (metric). The bolt will self thread. Tip: The struts are NOT the same. They are marked right and left on their respective packages so pay attention before unwrapping them.

13. If you detach the sun visor from the clip holding it to the headliner, you can not only swivel it down or around to your side window, it ALSO slides out along the shaft attaching it to the roof, giving even greater placement flexibility. Also, a smaller plastic visor pulls out from inside of the visor to block the sun if it happens to be in that gap between the visor and the rear view mirror. Look for the the little thumb depression on the edge of the visor, and pull out.

14. When ESP activates, it will turn OFF (not deactivate) your cruise control. You'll also lose your previous SET speed.

15. All Challengers have a small trinket tray in front of the shifter area. Did you know that the tray liner is removable for cleaning? As is the bottom tray liner on that rectangular slot to the left of the cup holders.

16. When using cruise control and going down a steep hill, the transmission will downshift to try to keep you close to your set speed.

17. If you have the NAV unit, the FASTEST way to enter a destination (if it is a POI) is to enter the phone number! You need to scroll down to get to where it allows you to enter the phone number (it is out of sight). But the numeric keypad entry is faster to use than the full alpha keypad, you don't need to mess with list of names (POI names or street names). And there are no collisions on the entry (exactly one destination comes up). It also enters the dashes automatically.

18. If you have EVIC, holding down the Compass button for several seconds will place EVIC into a diagnostic mode for the compass which also allows you to reset its calibration, i.e. fluctuation between true north and magnetic north.

19. If you are equipped with the EVIC, if you leave the key in the "ON" position while fueling, you can not only watch the gas gauge rise, if you leave the EVIC in "Distance to Empty" mode, you can watch the numbers change as the tank fills. Distance to Empty can be found in the standard EVIC mode without having to go into the "extended" mode.

20. If your turn signal is flashing at a faster rate for one side or the other, check the flasher light bulbs on that side; one of your bulbs has failed.

21. You cannot open the trunk with either the button on the dash or with the key fob button until the transmission is in PARK.

22. Need to look something up in the owner's manual? Download it here for free as a pdf file! Just choose your year and model. Courtesy of Dodge. See: My Dodge: Dodge Owners Service Manuals - Dodge Cars, Trucks, Minivans, SUVs, Wagons, Hatchbacks

23. If you like driving with parking lights or headlights on in the daytime, there is a Parade Mode (daytime brightness feature) of the dash and panel lights. Rotate the dash light dimmer control upward to the first detent to select it. This feature brightens all displays such as odometer, EVIC and radio when the parking or headlights are on.

24. If you are viewing the "extended" EVIC display and you push the trip odometer stick pin button once, the EVIC will display your top speed recorded since you started the car. (This may or may not work depending on your software version).

25. When you leave your blinker on for a while and forget it while driving, the car will chime (in sync with the blinker) to tell you, "Turn the blinker off stupid!"

26. If you hit the door lock switch on the armrest while the door is open and the car is running, it will NOT lock the doors. You can unlock them but it will not let you lock the doors to prevent you from accidentally locking yourself out.

27. To (almost) completely disable the ESP/Traction Control in an SRT8, press and hold the ESP button while in park for about 5 or 6 seconds. The ESP beeps and shows bypassed. It's now disabled (almost) completely until you turn off the engine.

28. To completely disable the ESP/Traction Control. While moving at more than 15 mph, you turn the key to START and hold it for a few seconds until the system chimes. (Don't worry, the starter won't engage). The chimes indicate that the ESP is now completely disabled until you turn the engine off. This is known as the "key trick."

29. If you have the push button start feature and your check engine light comes on, your key fob remote start will work but it will only run for about 10 seconds, then quit (as if to say, "Check the light dummy"). After that, you'll have to restart the car by popping off the start button start and inserting the key.

30. Did you know that the center console arm rest adjusts forwards and backwards? Just give it a nudge forward to release and it will slide back and forth to your desired position. Caveat: Moving it all of the way forward covers one of the cup holders.

31. To reset the "Oil Change Required" message in the EVIC, turn the key to "ON" but don't start the engine. Press the gas pedal to the floor and release 3 times within 10 seconds. In some cases, the EVIC may display "Oil change reset" as an acknowledgment. Turn the key to OFF and you're done.

** This late addition is not such a tip or a trick but rather a warning. In the 60's and 70's driving with your left hand at the twelve o'clock position on the steering wheel and your right hand on the stick was common place. With newer cars and the advent of air bags, driving with your hand in the twelve o'clock position on the steering wheel WILL almost certainly lead to disastrous consequences and injury if the air bag in the steering wheel is ever deployed. True story: A police officer was cruising down the street on patrol, with his hand in the twelve o'clock position, when another motorist appear from his broadside and collided with him. The force of the collision caused the air bag in the steering wheel to deploy which instantly broke the officer's thumb and wrist and rocketed his fist into his mouth effectively knocking out all of his front teeth. Think about it!

So now let's hear YOUR Challenger tips and tricks.

See less See more
#2 ·
here's some stuff I found on chargerforums.com several month ago.
I didn't test anyone of these but it sounds like it will work on the Challengers, too.

Throttle calibration can substantially improve throttle responsiveness over "factory standard." Many people notice what appears to be sluggish throttle response or a "dead area" at initial accelerator depression. Throttle calibration can take care of these.
1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.
Most drivers notice an immediate change in throttle response, but depending on your driving style, you may need to repeat this procedure periodically due to the computer's adaptive programming. You likely need to repeat this procedure any time the battery is disconnected.

MDS Reset & Calibration

1) You need a fairly long, open, safe, straight road for a WOT run to about 35 mph.
2) Get engine up to operating temp, engine running and car stopped place gear selector in "[D]". Bump it to the Left until in "[1]".
3) Turn off all electrical accessories (except lights if needed).
4) Make a WOT run to 4500 RPM (about 35 mph), immediately remove foot from accelerator and do not depress the brake, let the vehicle coast with the throttle closed until the vehicle speed is again at 35 mph or lower.
5) Stop vehicle and place in "Park", verify all instrument cluster warning indicators are off.
6) Cycle ignition switch "Off" and back "On", but do not immediately start engine.
7) Hook up StarScan and clear DTC's
8) MDS calibration is now complete.

Electronic Stability Program (ESP)

If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) needs to be calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:

1) Start the engine.
2) Center the steering wheel.
3) Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.
4) Center the steering wheel.
5) Stop the engine.

Sensor Diagnostics Display (Requires EVIC!)
(Use this URL to see more detailed info on the various display screens.)
Putting the LX into diagnostic mode - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

If your LX has the Electronics Convenience Group option, you can enter a diagnostic mode and cycle through various displays, such as oil pressure, pedal position, and software version, to name a few.

To enter diagnostic mode (refer to your steering wheel controls), depress and hold the compass button (the one with the N and small arrow above it) and musical note button for about 6 seconds with the key in the ON position (doesn't matter whether or not the engine is running). Hold the buttons until you see the display change.

Cycle through the displays using the up/down arrow buttons. Exit diagnostic mode by depressing the compass button.

Display OBD-II Trouble Codes On Cluster (Works with or without EVIC)
(Again, use link below for more detailed information.)
How to Display Diagnostic Trouble Codes - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

1)Get in the car, close the door. Perform steps 2-6 fairly quickly (less than 3 seconds total time). (The key should not return to the OFF position throught the sequence!)

2) Turn key to 'ON' position
3) then back to 'ACC'
4) then to 'ON'
5) then back to 'ACC'
6) then to 'ON'

If there are any stored codes, they will appear immediately, in place of the odometer. For instance an "INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH" error will set a code of P0113.

Once the codes have been displayed, you'll see "-----".
If there are no trouble codes, the dashes will be the first item displayed.
After a few seconds, the display changes to "-dOnE-".

Cluster Range Diagnostic. (Works on all LX models)

1) Be sure key is set to the 'OFF' position.
2) Press and hold the 'Trip Meter Reset' button.
3) Turn the key to 'ON' position.

The gauges will step through the whole range. If your gauge is acting funny, this is an easy way to see if it's the sender or the gauge.

#3 ·
MDS Reset & Calibration

1) You need a fairly long, open, safe, straight road for a WOT run to about 35 mph.
2) Get engine up to operating temp, engine running and car stopped place gear selector in "[D]". Bump it to the Left until in "[1]".
3) Turn off all electrical accessories (except lights if needed).
4) Make a WOT run to 4500 RPM (about 35 mph), immediately remove foot from accelerator and do not depress the brake, let the vehicle coast with the throttle closed until the vehicle speed is again at 35 mph or lower.
5) Stop vehicle and place in "Park", verify all instrument cluster warning indicators are off.
6) Cycle ignition switch "Off" and back "On", but do not immediately start engine.
7) Hook up StarScan and clear DTC's
8) MDS calibration is now complete.
I'd like to try this, but what is StartScan and clearing DTC's?

#4 · (Edited)
Hit your OPEN button to unlock your doors and then press open again and hold it down. BOTH windows will come down to cool the car off.

With the basic dash- If you press the trip odometer button you will get your trip mileage, press again you will get outside temperature and push again to get your MDS or ECO /ECO ON mode indicator.

Reactions: hemirt4me
#117 ·
Thank you for posting this! I think I accidentally did this yesterday and I was freaked out that my car was unlocked and windows were down!!!! Whew....I can breathe easier knowning that it was something simple enough to explain........not that somebody was trying to jack my car:scared:

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Turn the key to "ON" but don't start the engine. Press the gas pedal to the floor and release 3 times within 10 seconds. If you have EVIC it will say oil change reset. Turn the key to "OFF" and you're done.

Reactions: hemirt4me
#5 ·
9. Like driving with your headlights on in the daytime for safety? Instead, think thought about having your Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) enabled! It runs your high-beams (the inner headlamps) at 30% duty cycle whenever the headlights are OFF. It takes a trip to the dealer to get them activated.
Love your list !!! It is full of good information.. But..

The challenger uses the Parking lights for DRL's. Not the High Beam headlights at low power. They really do look awesome when turned on with the StarScan tool. Something about those Orange lights coming at you on the road :):)

Again Great List and Thank You for all the work !!!

#7 ·
9. Like driving with your headlights on in the daytime for safety? Instead, think thought about having your Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) enabled! It runs your parking lamps (the orange ones) at a lower duty cycle whenever the headlights are OFF. It takes a trip to the dealer to get them activated.

Actually the DRLs are the front turn signal filaments turned on at full intensity (brighter than parking lights). This was explored in another thread.

#46 ·
I need to play with this a little more, but there is something I did that the car door would not shut all the way close. I think I had the key in the ignition, but I could not figure out why my door would not shut all the way. Has this happened to anyone else. I will play tomorrow and see if I can duplicate it.
i dont know if any one answered this yet,but the windows go down lil bit when you open the door and i had the battery disconnected , i couldnt close the door because the window was up th e whole way, gets caught on th rubber, so if your plannin on diconnecting the battery make sure your window is down at least 5/16 inch maybe lil more so you can open and close your door unless being open is no problem,no rain comin or inside

#9 ·
"19. If you leave the key in the "ON" position while fueling, you can not only watch the gas gauge rise, if you leave the EVIC in "Miles to Empty" mode, you can watch the numbers change as the tank fills."

I haven't seen the miles to empty yet? Maybe it deactivated?:icon_confused:

#10 ·
9. Like driving with your headlights on in the daytime for safety? Instead, think thought about having your Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) enabled! It runs your parking lamps (the orange ones) at a greater intensity whenever the headlights are OFF. It takes a trip to the dealer to get them activated.

Do they charge for this? is it just the Amber lamps that light up and not the rear lights?

#11 ·
My guess is that it is not a free feature (much like adding fog lights to the new charger which cost about $120 to activate) and comes with these instructions:

The Vehicle VIN must be updated with the sales code of the added accessory in order to enable
system functionality. Using the DealerCONNECT website and a StarSCAN diagnostic tool,

MM3

#12 · (Edited)
Some things I learned while experimenting

You can unlock the doors and roll the windows down using the autodown feature and then start the car remotely with the key fob. The doors will lock and the car will start, with the windows down. They do not roll back up. Something to be aware of. And, of course, you can't start the car remotely with the hood up. You can also shut the engine off with one press of the remoter start button only if you started it remotely.

#13 ·
One more thing. When in extended EVIC mode, there is a japanese character at the bottom on one of the displays. It appears the value associated with it is always 0. Not sure when or under what circumstances it will change from 0 to some other value.

I have a friend who has recently taught english in Japan take a look and it means "safe" or "safety" depending on the context. He is going to do some more quick research for us.

#17 ·
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!

The mechanics at my dealer didn't charge me to turn on my Daytime Running Lights. I would highly recommend getting this done. This car looks great running with the amber lights on.

Reactions: GRIMM9090
#19 ·
21. You cannot open the trunk with either the button on the dash or with the key fob button until the transmission is in PARK.
Or in a manual you have the parking brake set.

25. When you leave your blinker on for a while and forget it while driving, the car will chime (in sync with the blinker) to tell you, "Turn the blinker off stupid!"
EVIC (if equipped) displays a message as well.

Apologize if these are repeats.

#40 ·
Reactions: texcowboy
#20 ·
Found this out when I installed the Corsas. The exhaust tips on the OEM exhaust (on an SRT 6 speed anyway) are adjustable, not only clockwise & counter-clockwise, but side to side and up and down...

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
For those with sun roofs...I was surprised to learn there are two separate opening modes for the roof. The forward button on roof console is to open, farther most setting closes the roof (at any postion desired once released).

The finding was that: The MIDDLE button, closes the roof and then the glass closes at the front and raises up in the back.

#22 ·
I've had occasions where I wanted my (automatic) shifter all the way back , for removal of the Nav/radio system (installing MYGIG/ and a switch for Halo lights). It's inconvenient though to have to start the car ,put it in drive, and have it running during that time. First make sure your E-brake is set.There is a very small flap in the shifter plate that you can turn up, then using a screwdriver, push the exposed switch down, while shifting in to drive(all without starting the car). Release the switch.

#23 · (Edited)
Air Conditioner....Did you know?

Did you know that if you push in the re-circulate air button (the one on the left that does NOT have a snow flake on it) that it also starts the air conditioner and the provides the coolest AC air becuase the AC is activated in the re-ciculate air position with ONE tap....

#24 ·
When mounting your rear license plate with a frame, use two thick rubber washers (one for each screw) between the frame and the bumper to prevent chaffing between licence frame and the paint.
The washer should be about as thick as the frame is deep a little thicker is better. Hope that makes sense?

#26 · (Edited)
That's a good one. I just need to remember to dig around for some rubber washers tomorrow.

Great thread...Thanks for the tips, gang. I picked this tidbit up on here somewhere but forget where. In the trunk, just to the right of the latch, there's a time/date stamp. It's really hard to read- I couldn't read the entire time...07:4 ? 04/29/2009. My car it "I" status on 4/29.

It's really, really, really faint and hard to read, on the bottom of the trunklid.

#27 ·
You also can't watch a DVD unless you press in your emergency brake.

2. Also to disable your trunk light. Take a wedge of wood and roll the trunk switch up. This will turn your trunk light off. JUST REMEMBER to open the switch with your FOB key before shutting or your trunk won't lock.
3. Roll your switch for your interior lights till it klicks. It turns your interior light off.

Items 2 & 3 work great for car shows.:browsmiley:

#30 ·
. . .2. Also to disable your trunk light. Take a wedge of wood and roll the trunk switch up. This will turn your trunk light off. JUST REMEMBER to open the switch with your FOB key before shutting or your trunk won't lock.. . .
I keep a small wooden dowel in the trunk for this very purpose. I click the latch closed when I have the trunk open for an extended time, then pull the emergency latch to open it just before I'm ready to close it (no need to use the fob).

#33 ·
If you are referring to turning off the light with the trunk open, the trick is to rotate the trunk lid "catch" with the lid open. This catch rotates as the lid is lowered and turns the light off during normal operation. With the lid open turn the catch til it clicks. The light will turn off. Don't forget to open the catch by pulling the emergency handle hanging fronm the trunk lid before closing the lid. This opens the catch and turns the light on. If you tried to close the lid with the catch closed already, ouch, it won't close and you may even damage something depending how hard you slammed it.

Hope this helps?

#34 ·
Did you know...?

The Challenger will drive up onto the traditional car ramps?

I was able to back my Classic onto my 15 Year old ramps but the front was real close to the Spoiler and I had to whack the ramp lips with a hammer to make some room for clearance. I never got the fronts onto the ramps because the ramps kept sliding forward on my garage cement.

No problem sliding with the rears though, must be a weight issue or something?

#36 ·
Scary thought here but did you know;

If your Challenger was unlocked in the garage and your key fob was in the house but close enough to be detected, a thief could start your Challenger drive it onto a flatbed near your garage or as far as it could go until the fob signal was lost and the engine cut off? Then Sinch, winch and drive away.:slant:

Like I said, Scary thought, so lock that car up, I don't care how thick your walls are....!!

Suggestion as well.:ninja: Take your fob throughout your home while someone in the car watches to see at what locations in the house the signal is NOT present. Then maybe keep the key fobs in that location overnight or whenever.