Restomod vs. Challenger T/A - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Classic Dodge Challenger Specific Need to discuss something specific to the Classic Dodge Challenger? This is the place to do it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Wink Restomod vs. Challenger T/A

In the November 2007 issue of Car and Driver magazine, they compared the performance of a 1970 340 Six Pack Challenger T/A ($86,000) to a 1970 Challenger that was restored/modified by XV Motosports for $176,000, with a 5.7L Hemi (443 hp), 5-speed manual, reworked suspension, Mustang rack and pinion power steering, StopTech vented disc brakes, C5 Corvette knuckles and lower control arms, low profile tires, aluminum trailing arms, adjustable Panhard rod, coil springs, custom shocks, as well as structural enhancements.

The results? As expected the old Challenger got smoked in both acceleration and handling:

0-60 mph T/A= 7.1 sec. Restomod= 5.1 sec.
1/4 mile T/A= 15.4 @92 mph Restomod= 13.5 @107 sec.
Braking (70 mph to 0) T/A= 279 feet Restomod= 183 feet
Roadholding T/A= 0.68 Restomod= 0.90

But, is it really worth paying an extra $90,000 to get a 1970 Challenger to perform like a modern sports car? I'd rather buy a 6.1L Challenger SRT in 2009 and get the best of both worlds for around $40,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:32 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: "Restomod" vs. Challenger T/A

It is all a matter of taste, I guess.

To me the XV Motorsprots car is neat. Yes it handles better. Yes it outperforms the classic. But will it hold it's value? Probably not. The classic will. Personally I am keeping my classic just that...classic. I don't see the value in dropping all of that money to make a car handle better than I honestly need it to. I am not racing it. I don't daily drive it. I enjoy it for what it is..a beautiful piece of functional art.

That is my $.02
#3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:58 AM

In most cases, I am not wild about restomod treatments. I agree with using the modern powerplant in a vehicle with no historical or collector value, but I don't like the idea of replacing an original 440 6-pack engine with a new Hemi (as an example).

I think the older Challengers, Cudas, Chargers, etc. tend to look silly with 20 inch wheels, low-profile tires, etc. Just my personal taste I guess.

I prefer either the factory original look, or an old school rod treatment.

Current Mopars:
- 1973 Dodge Dart Sport 340, Black on Black
- 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, Black on Black
- 2004 Dodge SRT-4 Silver on Black
Previous Mopars:
- 1970 Plymouth Duster 340, B5 Blue on Black
- 1970 Plymouth Duster 340, White on Black
- 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z, Black on Gold
#4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartSportDude
In most cases, I am not wild about restomod treatments. I agree with using the modern powerplant in a vehicle with no historical or collector value, but I don't like the idea of replacing an original 440 6-pack engine with a new Hemi (as an example).

I think the older Challengers, Cudas, Chargers, etc. tend to look silly with 20 inch wheels, low-profile tires, etc. Just my personal taste I guess.

I prefer either the factory original look, or an old school rod treatment.
My personal taste as well. You are dead on!

#5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:56 PM

"You are dead on!"

Well thank you! I was beginning to wonder if there were any fans of the "old school" look left on this board. Good to know I'm not alone!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I love the new Chally but I miss chrome bumpers! At least Harley Davidson understands the importance of chrome!
#7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:20 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartSportDude

Well thank you! I was beginning to wonder if there were any fans of the "old school" look left on this board. Good to know I'm not alone!
You are definitely not alone. Have you seen my 72? Old school is where it is at. Restomod Camaros and Mustangs and other cars that they made a trillion of. But classic Challengers and Cudas look best as is...or as it was then.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 AM

That is a great point about chrome bumpers. I am SO tired of the monochromatic look with painted bumpers. Does chrome plating really cost that much? Why not reintroduce some chrome trim on the new breed of muscle cars? At least some of the Mercedes and BMWs have stainless trim around the windows. Today's U.S. cars have nothing but painted bumpers and black plastic window trim. That's a shame.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

That plastic just loves to bake in the sun to!!!!
#10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 07:30 AM

I have been thinking about this for several years now, and really don't know which way to go. If I had tons of money, I'd do it all, but ---.

I use to own a 70 Charger RT 440 new. Wish I still had it. I almost got a 71 HemiCuda but was much turned off by no A/C plus the local dealer mechanics telling me you couldn't keep it running. So, I punted the Charger on a 72 Camaro. It was gas crunch time, the muscle car era died in 71 (or was going down fast), so I got the 350 engine. Real dog. From about 2 days after getting the Camaro until now I have been kicking myself about the HemiCuda. I want to return to that time, so to speak. How to do that?

Well, I wouldn't be satisfied without the Cuda body and Hemi engine. Any other engine doesn't have nearly the WOW factor. On a scale of 10, the original Hemi was and probably still has a 10 factor. The 440 6-pack, maybe a 7. Then it takes a nosedive with the 383 and 340. Still nice history, but for ME, no way! What to do?

Can in no way afford the 71 HemiCuda. If I could afford the 440, I would not be happy with it because it isn't what I want and would be settling for something less. Enters the restomod.

For about $100K, you could mod an E-body with either a 426 or larger Hemi, get excellent handling and performance, much better than 71 vintage cars, would probably drive it vs. worry about having a wreck or miles or engine destruction on a vintage unit, and if you cared about fuel consumption, could EFI it. What I think I want is the 71 look with better performance.

Or, just scrap that whole idea and wait for the SRT Challenger and make believe it is 71 again. Haha.

I think if I ever find a suitable 71 Cuda, I will mod it to look almost right, but plant a 528 Hemi in it, put on the billboards, new suspension, etc., and be broke.

Any help for my insanity would be appreciated. It's a good insanity though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Classic Dodge Challenger Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode