whats a 73 challenger worth? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Classic Dodge Challenger Specific

Classic Dodge Challenger Specific Need to discuss something specific to the Classic Dodge Challenger? This is the place to do it.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whats a 73 challenger worth?

Hey guysi have been looking at a few challengers for awhile now, just missed out on a 70 b5 blue 440 car, so the search continues.. I found a 73 in really good shape, its a Challenger Rallye Package. 318 Dart 202 Heads and moonroof, it has 6" porthole windows... what are these? i know the 73s arnt a big year but would these options make it worth more? my search goes on and hopefully someone can help me with some info. thanks and look forward to you responce
peter

Last edited by shoooter; 12-22-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 05:13 PM

Value is near impossible to define without specifics. Might have better luck looking at cuda-challenger.com Typical driver quality is about 15k though. At least that's how I see it.

Originality seems to mean something also. 6" windows weren't offered in 73, neither were big block motors. That said, you want a big block.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:31 PM

thanks for the info, he said the portholes are stock and has owned it for 20 years, more or less wondering if those options made this one worth more than a regular 73. i have never seen one with portholes are they rare?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 PM

If the portholes were on the lower part of the fender, those might be the start of the Rallye Stripes (another tack on). Do you have any pics? I don't know if we're talking about the same thing (6" portholes). Perhaps ToxicRT can fill you in, he has a Rallye model.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Supporting Vendor

About $500. You want me to send a cashiers check?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide App
Ported intake/exhaust manifolds, throttle bodies
and anything else that meets your performance needs
Old 12-25-2011, 08:36 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IMO, a 1970 original 440 car is worth a lot more ($10-15k) than a 1973 318 car. A 1973 with a transplanted 440/383 would be worth inbetween the two.

Condition is everything, consider that body work and paint could easily cost $10,000 on a bad body. So a project might be worth a couple thousand, a driver with reasonable body ~$7-12k, a nice driver with decent paint $15, and top dollar with great paint,interior, etc is what a buyer will pay $15-$20k. But a 1970 original 440 car in only decent driver shape would be $20k or more.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Photos: (11)
As Harpslinger said, the valuation will depend on specifics and can vary by large amounts. For some baseline ranges, check out the following site:

Prices & Used Values for Classic, Collectible, Exotic and Muscle Cars and Trucks - NADAguides

You can also review all the sales prices from Mecum's auctions, you have to sign up but the service is free. This will give you examples of real world transactions.

Mecum Auction: Mecum InfoNet™

A 73 Challenger will never be a high dollar car. A U-code 70 Challenger with all matching numbers including the 440, in good shape, would be a high dollar car. Without numbers matching, the value goes down a lot. Matching numbers are important for collectors but make the car more expensive. If you want to drive the car frequently on the street, a non-matching numbers car will be more affordable and you don't have to worry so much about driving the car. If you are a collector or want to show the car, matching numbers may be the way to go. If you want a (relatively) affordable driver, then non-matching numbers may be a more cost effective approach.

Last edited by MizzouRT; 12-25-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: conciseness
Old 12-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

MizzouRT thanks for the link. Knowing my dad still has his 70 convertable 383, air, ralley pkg. with 62,000 orig miles. Lets me know what the old girls are worth.
I had 3 challengers in the early eightys, along with Duster, and a Demon 340.
Never would I replace the new Challenger for any of the old stuff,,,unless it was a Hemi Convertable.
FT
SHR Viking Trans, DSS 1000hp axle.Getrag 3:07gear.SRT springs.Dual fuel pumps. DSS alum 1pc DS. 392 cam, 1-29-13 FLATTOP built stroker motor.
3-30-14 Mokan 10:87et at 127mph 1:50 60ft DA 1870
6-24-14 Mokan 10:67et at 129mph 1:78 60ft DA 2925, 101.1mph 1/8mi
on N2o 150 shot in 2nd and 3rd
SPEED cost MONEY How FAST you wanta go ?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Photos: (11)
Originally Posted by Flat Top View Post
...I had 3 challengers in the early eightys, along with Duster, and a Demon 340.
Never would I replace the new Challenger for any of the old stuff,,,unless it was a Hemi Convertable.
FT
I agree completely, new Challengers are far better cars and much more practical. Old stuff can be great toys, but if you only have room for one in the garage then I want the modern Challenger.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:26 AM

go to this link, scroll down to Dodge. Scroll down to the year you are interested in. Lots of good cars to compare against.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/index.htm

also check these guys out: texastoybox.com

There are nice cars periodically on ebay but much of it is also junk that is offered by "dealers" as a "resto" but if you don't know fender codes it's easy to get ripped off.

There was no 70 "Rallye" option. It started in 72. 71 was the last year for the RT.

I owned a 73 Rallye Challenger, 340 / auto. It was a blast with the small block and I wouldn't hesitate to stick with one.

On the fender tag of any factory Rallye optioned car you should find the code "A57".

There were no "portholes" on any version of the car, in fact I've never seen portholes on any Mopar except a van. The 70 Challenger SE had had a smaller rear window than the standard Challenger.

A 73 Rallye with numbers matching components isn't going to be a high buck (depending on your definition of high buck) collector item but it is a very nice car. If you get a matching numbers car don't alter the components (i.e. swap out the engne or trans. - if you do then keep them in storage).

If it's non matching or just a 225 or 318 flat hood car then indulge yourself.

The resto topic comes up pretty often in here. My 2 cents to you is: if you're not in it for the money then buy a shell, strip it down and build it right, the way you want it, from the ground up. Make sure you have thought thru what it is you want to do with the car, it always costs more to do things 2x.

If you buy someone else's "driver quality" car you will probably end up redoing much of the work anyway and you'll have spent more up front just to begin again. Ask me how I know this.

The sheet metal for these cars is readily available so body panels aren't an issue.

For engines that are ready to go check out: cmengines.com

Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Classic Dodge Challenger Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.