2012 SRT8 on the lot--how much would you pay? - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 02:05 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
so you will agree on the price, contact banks to get loans and write the contract yourself lol ??
Yes, exactly. Most "good car buying guides" I've seen recommend to arrange financing before going to a dealership. Get a loan pre-approval from your bank or credit union. Don't tell the dealership the amount--just say you're paying cash. Haggle for your price. If you can agree on a price, then if you want let them offer you financing to see if they can beat your bank's offer (but never tell them what it is).

The contracts are already written--they're just forms you fill out. Takes about 10 minutes of fill-out-the-price then sign-here... Finance contracts do take longer, of course.

Originally Posted by Litos View Post
you don't have to go straight to the GM as soon as you walk in, that's why there are salesmen there.

GM wants to move cars moreso than a salesman - problem is that he's not the one that is going to sit there with you for a couple hours chasing documentation, contacting banks and running back and forth between you, finance and the guys at make-ready....
You only need the price approved. Then a finance guy can do all the paperwork. Doesn't have to be a salesman expecting commission for merely filling out forms.

I'm wondering if I have a distorted view of what I expect a salesman to have to do to earn a commission:
- know his products thoroughly (and not lie/BS about stuff they don't know)
- help potential buyers to understand the available products and options
- *convince* a buyer that they want to purchase something--that it will fulfill their needs

Notice that *haggling* the price is not in my list. IMO, that portion isn't what should earn them commission. Of course, that part *is* what gets them more commission, but it isn't a value-add for the buyer--it's in opposition! (obviously it's a value-add for the dealership and the salesman)

Also, filling out paperwork is not in my list--that's just the semantics of performing the transaction. It's the baseline amount of work that doesn't change--it has to be done for any sale.

This is my vantage point, and why I think that if someone comes in knowing exactly what they want, with a price in mind, there really is no selling involved, and thus no salesman doing *salesman activities which add value*, thus should be no salesman commission. (Obviously there is still dealership profit.) If you pay an employee to fill out the paperwork, fine, call that payment a commission if you must, but it's not a *sales* commission--it is what it is: payment for filing some papers. (don't many dealerships have a "mandatory" (bs) doc fee? give that to the employee that does the paperwork...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM

Photos: (13)
Originally Posted by spookyfish View Post
$500 under invoice, or better.
Ditto. I usually get around 1% under invoice. I think this is a nice "Everyone's happy" scenario.

Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
Hrm. In many professions $50/hr is damn good pay. Even $25/hr is above median income. So a salesman complaining that he had to put in an hour or two to squeeze an extra $50 seems silly--*unless* in the course of that hour he passed up other customers willing to pay him more.
Your theory works, if buyers are lined up around the block. One right after the other...for his full 10-12 hours shift.

You forget that after wasting 2 hours for that $50...he may see one more sale the whole day.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cuda Cliff View Post
man l wise l could afford an SRT!!!..... one day maybe
RT are also great cars my friend
GardX Paint & Leather Protection - Vcool tinting
Old 05-10-2012, 06:10 PM

car purchase

i had the easiest transaction on my srt purchase. Saw an ad $4,000 off MSRP, called the salesman, sent all info on my trade-in by phone, and a few days of phone calls by the sales manager we were able to come to an agreement. emailed title, insurance, and ID and i simply walked in, signed and left with the new car....easy easy easy.....I hate myself for not buying an SRT for up to 7,500 in Cali...one big recommendation is to buy your car from out of city dealer...you will get a better deal and a better buying experience
Old 05-10-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by sitedrifter View Post
Maybe the salesman should get into a different industry or different career and not have to worry about the cheap SOB's out there. I say screw the salesman who would love nothing better then to bend me over and take me for everything he/she can. And maybe, just maybe if the salesman was shrewd enough, he/she could have sold the SOB the accessories or an extended warranty.

too funny, but agree. he should of paid attention in school so he did not have to be a salesman and could be one of those cheap a$$ customers.

Sent from my keyboard, typed in by me the old fashion way.

John
best run 12.283@114.18mph - 100% factory stock on factory tires.

best 60' 1.841 - 100% stock on factory tires

411.7 RWHP / 443.5 RW Torque on a Dyno Com dyno. Zoomer cat back and Speedlogix CAI

Current:
2011 392 SRT Challenger
2004 5.7 Dodge Rumblebee 4x4
2001 5.9 Dodge Ram quad cab 4x4
Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM

Very interesting stuff here. Thanks for all the info! We're looking to buy an SRT8, and have been trying to find one with our wish list of options So far it doesn't seem like people have a whole lot of stock...So if a dealer has to get the car we're looking for from another dealer can we still expect to pay less than MSRP? Also, if we have to order it from the factory, will we get a deal?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:18 PM

Photos: (13)
Originally Posted by Helf View Post
So if a dealer has to get the car we're looking for from another dealer can we still expect to pay less than MSRP?
You won't have to necessarily pay MSRP, but you will probably pay more than if it were already on the lot. The dealer who gives up the car wants some action...and the dealer actually selling you the car wants his cut too. So that'll be twice the hands out and waiting for your money.

Also, if we have to order it from the factory, will we get a deal?
You can't order directly from the factory. But if you mean, have the dealer custom order for you...you should still be able to get a deal. I got mine for roughly $1,000 under invoice, and mine was custom ordered (with my name printed on the window sticker and everything).

I suggest you aim to pay a little under invoice, and stick to that...no matter WHAT the source of hte car is. If they can't give you that...walk away. I promise, SOMEONE will work with you...

Either way, best of luck!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 PM

my sticker was roughly $48K, we settled on $41,800 for a new '12 SRT8, 6spd (3 mos ago). The '12's are out there and the dealers want to get rid of them. the improvements between the '12 and '13 are minimal, suspension being the one real improvement, I believe. If you can get a '13 at $45K, jump on it. I suggest going to your bank and getting a loan approved up front, this gives you an advantage and the dealership is more willing to work with you knowing they don't have to do the loan (or interest rate). Your wasting your own time if you plan to go into this and haggle over few $100 or a couple of min options. I believe we came to an agreement on price in 15 min, it was the damn paperwork and car prep that took the other 2 hrs.

Last edited by groho; 12-18-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Supporting Vendor

Very interesting stuff here. Thanks for all the info! We're looking to buy an SRT8, and have been trying to find one with our wish list of options So far it doesn't seem like people have a whole lot of stock...So if a dealer has to get the car we're looking for from another dealer can we still expect to pay less than MSRP? Also, if we have to order it from the factory, will we get a deal?
I have fifteen 2012 Challenger SRT's in stock and would certainly be willing to make you a deal on a lease or a purchase. While currently no consumer rebates are out there for traditional cash or finance, there are some amazing deals on SRT leases right now, and even better for those with the SRT certificates that came with your flags.

If I can help, just let me know. I enjoy working with forum members and will make the buying experience simple and fun.

Baxter/Performance Auto Group
Chrysler Group Inventory Manager
& Specialty Car Director

www.baxterauto.com
www.performanceauto.com
www.facebook.com/performanceauto

2012 Chrysler 300C SRT-8

Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

You should be able to get at least 5k off. I got more than that off in July on my YJ SRT8.

I do however believe that options get you more off though. Mine has every option plus it's and automatic. I looked at a manual YJ before I purchased mine that didn't have any options over standard and the guy wouldn't move as much on price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.