Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2012 SRT8 Review - SRT Track Experience

10K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Danger1 
#1 · (Edited)
Well first off, great day at the SRT track experience. Now to the chase.

Challenger:
I remember driving the 2011 around the track last fall and it feeling a bit drifty in the rear end, but 2012 is almost a completely different Challenger with the new 2-mode suspension. The new suspension is worth it. It helps create smooth cornering transitions and keeps the car very well planted and much more controllable than the pre 2012s.

The engine; we know it's a beast but I found myself repeating how smooth the throttle and transmission felt. For a daily driver, the low end torque practically eliminates the weighted feel. With the suspension and engine together, this is now a very nimble vehicle.

Paddle shifters were nice. They did get in the way sometimes during the autocross (accidentally bump into 2nd while turning) and almost made you either flat palm 3-9 positions or take up a 2-10 or a 4-8 hand position.

Jeep:
Lots of fun, you definitely feel the weight, even when you think it's out of control, the AWD has got your back. I was considering this vehicle in a year, however, the weight is definitely felt. Still, a very powerful SUV for a very powerful price. It's scary/fun, body rolling, AWD, and controllable to drive up at higher speeds. In all, great for a 1/4mi drag racer.

They have a very nice 2012 lineup that includes the Yellow Jacket and Super Bees.

A side note; if you have an SRT and haven't used your track experience, go. There's a new driving dynamic similar to a drag race that they brought back. If you don't use it, I'm sure there are a few forum members that would like to see your ad in the classifieds.

More to follow as it is late, but all I'll say is, I'm about to become a 2010 to 392 convert as I am quite impressed with the balanced dynamics of the 2012, enough to say Tungsten in the near future.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
My wife is going in my place because I am on midnight shift in August when the track experience rolls through our area. I figure driving 100+ and auto crossing with no sleep would not be good. Having the driven a 2011 GWE 392, I can attest to all the above comments regarding the 392 vs the 6.1L in terms of smoothness and torque. Having lived with the 6.1L now for almost a year, it needs more low end torque as it seems to lag a little until it hits its sweet spot in the 4-5K RPM range. I have not tuned mine, so I would imagine that would help. The handling on the 2011+ is much improved over the 2010s, and from what I now hear, the 2012s are the best of the bunch. Where the 2010 still has body roll and is a little slow to respond to inputs, the 392s are lighter on their feet and more responsive around turns and when you mash the throttle. The only thing holding me back from upgrading again is the rumored 6.2L S/C car coming in 2014 and the fact that the price difference is pretty big to go from a used 2010 to a new 2012+. The fact that you cannot tune the 392s is still disappointing. Plus, the new Boss 302 and GT500 are viable competitors in a similar price bracket. For current 2008-2010 owners, I would wait until 2014+ to see what is coming from Chrysler, GM, and Ford as they are all due for restyles or major upgrades by then.

#15 ·
LOL! My wife is also attending the August event at the Joliet Autobahn this summer! I went last year and had a blast! I'm envious that she will get to drive all the new 2012 vehicles like the Charger and Grand Cherokee. LY they had the 2010 models since there weren't any of those two made in 2011 models.

#5 ·
So you put in in sport mode when you weren't suppose to ay? hehe. I was there on Friday. Challenger definitely had better handling, then the SRT charger, 300C and Jeep in that order of fun factor. Traction control on the Jeep comes on very quick and had alot more over and under steer. The fun factor on the Jeep was quickly lost after the first time around the track. It really needed those 6 piston calipers.

#10 ·
Haha, I think everyone did. Definitely noticeable around the corners. Even in auto mode, the Challenger stayed very planted and those were with RS-A2s.

#7 ·
Well first off, great day at the SRT track experience. Now to the chase.

Challenger:
I remember driving the 2011 around the track last fall and it feeling a bit drifty in the rear end, but 2012 is almost a completely different Challenger with the new 2-mode suspension. The new suspension is worth it. It helps create smooth cornering transitions and keeps the car very well planted and much more controllable than the pre 2012s.

The engine; we know it's a beast but I found myself repeating how smooth the throttle and transmission felt. For a daily driver, the low end torque practically eliminates the weighted feel. With the suspension and engine together, this is now a very nimble vehicle.

Paddle shifters were nice. They did get in the way sometimes during the autocross (accidentally bump into 2nd while turning) and almost made you either flat palm 3-9 positions or take up a 2-10 or a 4-8 hand position.

Jeep:
Lots of fun, you definitely feel the weight, even when you think it's out of control, the AWD has got your back. I was considering this vehicle in a year, however, the weight is definitely felt. Still, a very powerful SUV for a very powerful price. It's scary/fun, body rolling, AWD, and controllable to drive up at higher speeds. In all, great for a 1/4mi drag racer.

They have a very nice 2012 lineup that includes the Yellow Jacket and Super Bees.

A side note; if you have an SRT and haven't used your track experience, go. There's a new driving dynamic similar to a drag race that they brought back. If you don't use it, I'm sure there are a few forum members that would like to see your ad in the classifieds.

More to follow as it is late, but all I'll say is, I'm about to become a 2010 to 392 convert as I am quite impressed with the balanced dynamics of the 2012, enough to say Tungsten in the near future.

Nice write up...

Whats this new drag race simulation?......

#9 ·
It's an event they use to have a few years back. Pretty much a power punch from the light tree to a stop box. Then you take it around some S turns and come to another stop box. You through the entire 2012 line up. It replaces the head to head challenge by adding enough room to give you a quick 0-60-0.

#20 ·
Driving Vipers through the "S" at Sears Point (Infineon) and taking all the 2006 SRTs, including the SRT-6, on Laguna Seca full throttle down the "corkscrew" will never be beat.

Do they still let you drive on the track by yourself?

#21 ·
The SRT experience is leader/follower on the road course but everything else is on your own (autocross, head-to-head drag racing)

#22 ·
I just did the SRT Track Experience in Las Vegas this weekend. While it was okay, I am sure glad that I did not pay for mine (I did pay for a buddy to go with me though).
It was not really what I thought it would be. There was no real training other than showing you where the cones will be on corners and follow the instructor around the track. The rest of it was pretty much just get in the car and try to get around the cones etc as fast as you can. It was more like just going to a amusement park and going on the rides rather than learning anything.
It was interesting to drive the other SRT's. The Charger was cool and felt good like the Challenger. The 300 did fell like an old man's car, but with a big engine. I did not like the Jeep period. I got stuck with it a few times unfortunately. I got the feeling that the SRT crew was told to push the Jeep. I guess the AWD was cool, and it did get off to a good start, so perhaps my lack of interest in getting into it again after the first time was that it simply is not a car I am interested in - the Challenger and Charger both felt great.
I suggest going to the SRT Experience when it is free, but I would not pay for it at all.

#23 ·
I was there, too, on Saturday with my son. I was the guy with the excessively long hair and big hat.

I agree, more actually training would have been nice. I also tried suggesting live real time communication to help with instruction; was told I should ride with an instructor for that, but I want to get actual experience, not watch someone else. I did get faster over the day, but was still one of the slowest drivers; never had the opportunity to really drive like that on the street, it would have been nice to be able to get more practice, or even just familiarize myself with the different cars more without a dealer saying "How can we get you home in this car today?", but it was just get in, drive as fast as you can, get out.

The Jeep surprised me, but the center of gravity just feels too high. I liked the Chrysler and Charger, but I'm still glad I got the Challenger.

#25 ·
SRT experience

I agree with Muzza61 and skought....it was Great as a free event and I appreciate the time, effort, and money Dodge put into the event. I enjoyed driving the different cars around the track. I had envisioned a little more classroom "how to handle" the vehicle followed by coached driving....But i do not want to down the event. The drivers and support people were very nice, the catered meals were very tasty....But if I had paid $500 for this I would have been very disappointed. I do think the forum price of $250 is a fair price. I was lucky the event was 25 minutes from my house, but I would not driver several hours, stay in a hotel and do the event....(incurring traveling expenses etc.).

#26 ·
I think some of you are missing the mark on this event, first they would have to do this as a 2 day event to include any one one training and class room time...

it's all they can do to provide enough seat time in the cars in one day to give everyone enough of an experience for each vehicle...typically there is 20-30 or more people at these events, that's a lot to handle in one day...

No other manufacture offers an opportunity to drive 4 high performance cars and get the chance to run the hell out of them like this...hell you are a better driver after this event than 99.5% of the population and it does inspire more confidence in the vehicles and the SRT brand...

The best experience you'll ever get is to ride with the instructor around the track which is what I did in Daytona, and Virginia Raceway then do it your self it puts a lot of confidence and removes any fear of crashing the cars...you can't get that in a class room...

I have a 2012 JEEP SRT AND A 2013 CHALLENGER ON ORDER...I can tell you the Jeep is just as capable and handling as the others...once you learn how to drive it and that can only come from ownership of one...it IS different it supposed to be different...you sit low in the others but the Jeep WILL STICK to the corners like the others especially in track mode... once you gain confidence in it...the Borla exhaust on mine makes a world of difference in the experience as well....BIG time...

Why be so negative about traveling to an event? My goodness...you make a mini vacation of it and go somewhere you may have never been before and experience the area/location...man some of you need to lighten up a little...

Like everything in life some see the glass half full others half empty...

#27 ·
I think you might be misreading what people have written. I think we all had a great time, I personally just felt a little mislead; the drive srt website implies there will be instruction and training, but the instruction was essentially "drive aggresively" and the training was "follow the instructor." It was more like a closed-course test drive, which is fine, just not what was expected, and if I'd paid $500 bucks for it I wouldn't have been too happy.

#31 ·
On Sunday I did a driving class at Driveway Austin which was awesome - it was a full-on class and a lot of track time with professional drivers. This really highlighted what a glorified test-drive the SRT Experience was. This class I took was $100 cheaper and 100 times better. If you don't get the SRT Track Experience for free, take a look online to see if there is a driving academy anywhere near you - I guarantee it will be a much better experience and have you leave having actually learnt something. The only problem is tires - I am at 4,600 miles on my SRT and need new tires already - bummer - but I didn't buy the thing to go to the store and back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.