2013 Challenger Launch Control - Page 5 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone else think launch control is a pointless feature on street cars? I mean, in my opinion you look pretty silly pulling up to a red light and flooring it until the light turns green only to let a computer do all the work for you. Just my 2 cents. On a Ferrari F1 car, sure, but a muscle car, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 PM

It's very stupid IMO. I wouldn't want it. I trust my skills over a computer any day

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-09-2012, 10:05 AM

I would like to have it on my 2012 . If you do not like it,leave it off. Considering this is just programming, why not have the option?

I would be tempted to get a trinity or what ever they call it if it gave me that feature.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 AM

Why is it that the "Driver Mod" always seems to be at the bottom of a person's upgrade list? Kinda makes you wonder.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by GSMC View Post
Even though I understand other's points about the convenience of having launch control...I personally wouldn't mind one bit being "the guy" that bought the 2013 that didn't have it.

I don't like any automated system that compensates for my bad driving skill. I don't like TQ control as it is. A more useful automated system is one that could detect an idiot behind the wheel and compensate for that.

Learning how to use your right foot on the accelerator will be a lost skill if this keeps up. No one will know how to compensate on slippery roads etc..."because the computer will do it for me". Just IMO...

EDIT: And ....I "get" the whole appeal of it. TQ control is now required on cars....pretty soon a black box might be required (it's actually being discussed by our government) ...next step - speed control??
without traction control most of our cars would be wrapped around tree's by now.....they didnt have many 4 second 0-60 cars in 1970....its necessary in 2012

ive taken MANY corners at high speed and had my car actually JUMP/Skip....without traction control i would have spun out...

If you want a raw/basic car with no technical add ons get a 1970 piece of crap....i want as much stuff to help my car perform better....i dont want to spend years aquiring skills....i want to get in my car and have fun and have Dodge keep me safe

IM GOING TO DRIVE OVER YOUR CAR
AND DO A BURNOUT ON YOUR HOOD!
The Following User Says Thank You to huggytree For This Useful Post:
AMM (12-17-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:37 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
im still trying to find a way to add it to my 12 srt-8..
so far, it looks like 10/28 and later uses a different abs module.but other than that,its gotta be just software?? anyone who can help me, please PM me....thanks..
Old 12-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Haha...I don't need Dodge to "keep me safe"....I depend on my right foot for that.

I totally understand why anyone would want to have it, don't get me wrong. It's OK to utilize todays technology to make a car safer...I'm all for it....but I don't rely on Dodge to keep me safe any more than I rely on my government to look out for my best interest. I need to be responsible for that.

FACT: -70's cars weren't "pieces of crap"...they were as advanced then as our cars are now..for the time. They did have a lot of limitations though..and you had to learn them. You learned how fast to go around corners safely without risking your neck via the throttle pedal. My whole beef with all these controls that make our cars safer...and they do...can tend to give some people a false sense of security.

And a lot of people will wrap their Challengers around a pole because they don't have "traction control"...really?

C'mon Huggytree...I like you, and I think you're helpful to a lot of us on the board here. You also have a very nice IE 392 (I'm jealous of BTW)...but if either one of us jam into the throttle too hard while making a left turn, the rear ends of our cars will STILL kick out from under us, and we could end up going right into that same "pole" even though our traction control is on. I compensate now by not getting into the pedal as hard.

I also have my old "piece of crap" '83 Z28 with a roots blower...I'm not looking to add traction or launch control to it. It is however, very challenging to learn how to launch the thing without blowing the tires off (it's a stick car)...but that's part of the fun for me.

'11 Challenger SRT8 392 Auto, Billet Metallic
Other Cars:
-1983 Camaro Z28 Magnacharged 408
-1990 Cavalier Z24 3.1 All stock, 154K miles
-2000 S-10 4WD 4.3 V6
Old 12-09-2012, 04:01 PM

My 2013 SRT8 manual doesn't have launch control and I don't care. I had it on 2 previous cars and it's pretty useless on the street. In fact, the system in the SRTs requires you be on a flat surface with the wheels pointed perfectly straight (drag strip).

If I had an automatic, it might be fun at the occasional stoplight but on my other cars, the few times I used it I thought "there's no way this is good for the drivetrain"
Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 AM

I don't plan on taking mine to the track so I really don't need launch control.

For people that take theirs to the track though, I think it would be a fun feature to compare their times with or without using the computer's Launch control.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ONTHEFENCE View Post
I don't plan on taking mine to the track so I really don't need launch control.

For people that take theirs to the track though, I think it would be a fun feature to compare their times with or without using the computer's Launch control.
Agreed...I can see it as a blast to have at the track...try launching with the launch control, then see if YOU can do just as good a job (or better) on your own without it. I would definitely be against it's use in competitive racing though...IMO it takes away from the spirit of competition, like having a head start assist.

Heck, people might be using it at the track in competition now for all I know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.