Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2013 trade in value?

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  radioguy1 
#1 ·
Challenger srt8 fully loaded 5k miles on here-would love to trade this in but suspect the low offer may turn my stomach... The question here is going either to a 15 srt or a hellcat has anyone gotten a fair deal?

TIA MARK

#4 ·
Kelley Blue Book is another place to try. You can get trade in & private party sale values.

#5 ·
Expect maybe $35k. Try to keep the difference to around $10k, regardless of the exact value of your trade in or the new SRT 392. Obviously with the Hellcat the difference will be ~$30k.

#7 ·
KBB says up to 38k.... They will offer 33k. You will tell them 38k and bring your kids if you have any. Let them jump all over the floor models and keep pressing the 38k number. If you're desperate have one of your kids slam a finger in a car door. You'll get your 38k.

True Story - When I was trading in my Challenger a couple years ago my kids were playing in a minivan and some other kid they were playing with auto closed a minivan door on my sons finger (which is supposed to have pinch protection) and my kid was screaming but he was okay. I walked out all pissed of and was followed by the sales manager telling me that they would give me 28k for my trade. They were offering 25k to start.

Don't let the dealer tell you KBB doesn't apply because they use "auction value" Your car will be in pristine condition and only has 5000 miles. Also try Carmax first. They offered me $17k for an SUV that had a KBB value of $15k. I used that certificate at another dealer to buy my wife's minivan. Saved a couple G's in taxes that way.

#9 ·
I agree that edmunds is closer to what the dealer wants but you as a consumer can argue that. What you really need to do is search your area to see what dealers are advertising similar cars for and subtract 4k from that. When I traded my car in for 28k they the dealer advertised it for 32k within 3 days. I knew that was the going rate for a 1.5 year old Challenger with 8k miles. I know they have to make money and I knew 28k was fair to me and them. The first offer of 25k was the blackbook value at the time. The car was gone less than 2 weeks later.

#10 ·
If you are contemplating the sale of a $50K car in less than 2 years to trade up, the money probably isn't much of an issue for you. Go for the Hellcat and get what you want. Don't forget the new owner of your old '13 is gonna be real happy as well. It's a win-win!
That's how I got my SRT8 and I love it more than any other car I have ever owned! Probably more than the original owner. Good luck with your replacement!

Reactions: brampton builder
#11 ·
Yes I would love to get a hellcat but it may be tough for the next year to get some sort of a deal especially with a trade in. The trade in taking that much out of the taxing of a new car is huge so to turn this in to CarMax really does not do me much good, Being in wi snow on the ground and soo cold I will have to wait till it warms up. Have not seen to many ads for sale for 15 srt8s not being hellcats any reason for that?

Mark

#13 ·
Why do you want to sell it? I sold my '13 RT so I could obtain the '12 SRT8 I have now. I couldn't believe the owner was willing to let it go for 15K less than it was bought for (about what I paid for my RT)? The high quality mods and very low mileage (like yours) were icing on the cake and I couldn't say no. I really do love the '11-14 look and the '12-'14 overall package. Do you want to move into a "15 for the new look? I'm just curious. You have a badass SRT8, but is it really worth it to you to sell it back to the dealer for such a loss? I understand the '15s have the A8, bigger brakes, 10 more HP, bigger (wider) wheels and a different interior, is that what you are after? Ya, where you live, wait 'till Spring. Did you do the SRT driving experience? If not, that's worth $$ too! I'm doing it in May as the original owner never did. I'm not trying to talk you out of trading up, just curious. Good luck with you decision.

Reactions: 6 shooter
#14 ·
Yeah, I agree with Steve, unless you're wanting to buy a Hellcat, why bother losing your shorts just to have a newer model? Personally, I would never trade in a car. Put it on Craig's List and Ebay, guaranteed to make 2K-4K over any dealer trade in.

#15 ·
That's not true.
I had mine in Jan. on Ebay and Craigslist (no interest whatsoever), twice on Ebay, and never rose over 28k (was asking 32k reserve)
I also had it here, and never received a serious offer. It was pristine, less than 10k miles for a 2011 SRT392.
Trade in values (actual dealers) were around 29k.
Carmax offered 31k, I took that.

#18 ·
That depends on how hard you are willing to work at it, what you paid for your car originally and what you can buy the new one for.

Going from a '13 to a similarly equipped '15 will most likely cost 10-15K. If you bought the car below invoice and got some good rebates and were able to buy the '15 at a great deal then maybe 8K if you can strike an excellent deal.

If you can drive a 40-50K car for two years and only pay 4K a year (333.00 a month) you are doing pretty darn good, hard to lease one for that..

Realistically you will pay around 10-12K if your car is in excellent shape and is a desirable color/option combo. I know many do not want to hear it but the 15s will cause the value of the '14 and down cars to take a bit of a hit, thats just the way it is when a refresh comes along.

I have sold/traded many new cars in less than a couple years and under 10,000 miles, its an expensive game to play. Its a little less painful with the low finance rates of the last few years, and its really up to you if the newer features on the '15 is worth that kind of cash to upgrade.

I'd like to buy a hellcat too, but the dealer markups and scarcity make me sit back and wait a year. You are most likely going to really get hammered on a Hellcat right now, I'd wait a while before shopping for one.

#20 ·
Steve,

Sorry about the delayed response. I missed your reply.

Well, I have a 2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport that I use as a daily driver. It's getting up there in miles and I've had to put a lot of money into it lately. I had my sights set on a Chrysler 300 V8 AWD to replace it in a few years. As you probably know, Chrysler stopped making the V8/AWD starting in 2015. There are a handful of 2014 V8 AWD's still on the lots with the options that I want and so I was looking into trading the Challenger in for a 2014 Chrysler 300C John Varvatos limited edition.

I just had one dealer email me this past Friday saying that he could up my trade-in to $35,000. I replied back that I'd do it for sure for 37,000 and I'd consider it for $36,000. But anything less than that and I'd rather keep my Challenger and just try to drive it more this year.

The other part of it is that I could totally see myself driving the 300 in rain/snow and, therefore, probably get more overall enjoyment out of it. With the Challenger, not only does it not see rain/snow but I'm so obsessive with it that I actually detail the wheels every single time I drive it! It's also pretty frustrating that, when I do drive it, there's so much traffic that I can't really have any fun with it except to plod along with everyone else.
:(

The last thing two things that's factoring into my decision is that 1). the 300 is going for $10,000 less than sticker...which will offset some of the sick feeling in my stomach that I'll get from taking such a loss on the Challenger, and 2). The sticker price on the 300 is about $3,000 higher than the $51,500 sticker price on my Challenger. (Not that I paid sticker for it to begin with...)

No, I didn't do the track experience. I ended up selling it to a forum member so I could buy a set of race ramps for oil changes, detailing, and other maintenance. But I've heard it's a blast and I do sorta regret not doing it.

-J

#22 ·
I completely understand your logic concerning the weather. Hell, I live in FL and I get upset when mine gets a little dirty. I couldn't imagine owning a SRT Challenger up North, as not driving it all winter would kill me. Not that I don't love my '12, but I wish I could have found your car before I bought mine. I looked all over for '13-'14s, but they were not the color I liked or just too many miles and too expensive. I like the new A8, but don't care for the new look and modern updates. The SP is too much like a Core and didn't do it for me. I needed a Challenger with all the goodies my RT/Plus had as well as the engine/brakes/suspension the SRT offered.

Good luck with your new purchase!

#24 ·
The best deal will come from trading it in on an SRT 392. There is a big premium on the Hellcat - if you can find one - compared to the SRT 392. Also, look at "Tread Lightly" organization to get a serial number for 1% under invoice with a $100 donation (Chrysler partner). There is always a question about total value when you do a trade-in, but that combination should get you reasonably close to "best deal."

Reactions: ukester
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.