Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2014 SRT8 versus 2015 Scat Pack Shaker 392

36K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  bwbike 
#1 ·
I've been driving an R/T Classic for 3 and a half years now. Beautiful car, has been a great daily driver, but needs more power and performance. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a new 2014 SRT8 but I'm torn between doing that and ordering a 2015 Scat Pack Shaker 392 in a couple months.

I'll do an auto either way... my assumption is that the 2015 will be a little quicker with the 8 speed and extra 15 hp (not totally convinced this isn't just marketing though...).

If I do the 2014, looks like what I'll miss out on are:
  • New interior
  • Upgraded performance pages
  • Shaker hood (love that)
  • Aforementioned 8 speed with slightly better performance and economy
  • Possibly better brakes (6 piston versus 4)
  • Possibly factor valved exhaust, loud v quiet on a whim
Either way I'll get launch control and a huge power upgrade.

Of course I could always buy the 2014 now and trade in a year but I'd likely lose quite a bit of the equity I would have in the 2014 (2010 is paid off and would be a trade). That being said, I think I can get a deal on a 2014 now with the 2015 R/T 392s officially announced.

Any opinions? What else am I missing here... is it worth waiting for a 2015?

See less See more
#3 ·
Now that is a good idea, a solid, rational though. Problem is I'm running all on emotion here... j/k

I haven't seen a release date on 2015 pricing. I bet I would pay more for the Scat Pack Shaker - full MSRP at best. Not sure what that will be but I bet at least mid 40s. I'm thinking I might get the 2014 SRT8 I'm watching ($48,025 MSRP) for $45,000.

#5 ·
After seeing the new car and equipment, I would wait for the 2015, no question about it, only the Shaker will be late availability and might not start production until January. Also, the brakes on the current SRT and 2015 SP cars will be the same, 4-piston Brembos; the 6-piston I believe is Hellcat only although maybe SRT 392 as well.

#7 ·
I'm waiting on pricing and permission :brickwall: before I make any decisions. I'm also curious about what the SRT Premium will offer. The Hellcat will most likely be out of my price range, but I have high hopes for the Premium. I currently drive a 2011 SRT8 A5. LOVE it, but I do feel like it's missing a lot of the options that would justify the price. The 2015's (depending on price) appear to offer almost everything that I feel mine is missing. As long as they keep the prices reasonable I'll probably upgrade in the near future.

#8 ·
For me, the interior alone is reason enough to wait. But yes, the 8-speed is gonna be a very nice upgrade, too... especially for passing maneuvers when you're already on the highway (biggest gains there, apparently).

#9 ·
I'm not an SRT owner YET! I have a 14 Shaker on order (hear me out). The SRT BUG has got a grip on me for sure. trying to locate a dealer trade for a 14' Torred Red SRT, 730n, 6sd, roof, and the stripes I can live with or without. Really like the Satin Vapor. With that said.....
My current vehicle is a 14' Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7 Hemi with 8 spd auto. The trans is awesome. It takes a little getting used to though (seems like it is constantly shifting at times). Herein lies my descent, The Jeep is a 1st year new style with all the electronic gadget upgrades and trans. To say I am not impressed with all the "new upgrades" would be putting it mildly. 8.4 U Connect...SUCKS (in my opinion) have had multiple electronic and mechanical issues.
As mentioned in another post, Avoid the 1st year of multiple changes on a vehicle. I will not be interested in the 15's for that very reason. The 14 is tried and tested, the bugs worked out and not as complicated to operate. Good Luck:browsmiley:

#12 ·
I DID IT !!!! Bought a 14 SRT Challenger... Phantom Black, No Stripes, 6 spd., sunroof, 430n, Vapor Chrome Wheels and Red Leather with accents! It's at the tint shop today for a 50% tint (Didn't want to go darker, like seeing the red interior from the outside) also getting the blued front windshield! WOW What a CAR! it's not only beautiful but the ride is awesome. (I have no regrets on canceling my Shaker order)

#13 · (Edited)
Depends on how important the new interior is to you

I prefer the old one, but think the new one has "muscle heritage" and looks good. To me interior color is more important. My 14' SRT has a red interior (a must for me) and only cost $42K. I also believe the 392 RT might not have adaptive suspension. I did not know what it was/meant, until I had it. It is a MUST have for me now. The press releases were not clear as to whether the 15' RT has this. This should be a consideration IF you like a good handling car.

If you want a "shaker,"...DO consider a 14' SRT. You can add a Cervini Shaker for far less than a "Shaker Package." I bet the leftover 14's will be CHEAP. I have a feeling that the 6.4, 15' RT will cost more than my 14' SRT....but may not handle as well.

#14 · (Edited)
Build Your own 2014 srt shaker

Just an idea for you. Buy a 13-14 srt core and add a shaker kit. Badge it however you like. Sounds like the scat pack with have all the basics the core has :6.4, brakes, suspension ect. but will likley cost more. So you can have the shaker look and the 6.4 power now instead of waiting. (also you get the Srt track experience with the Srt purchase) Then when the r/t scat pack shakers start showing up yours wont be riding around smiling with that new 15' happy lower grill.

Also is it confirmed that the 8 speed will be available (capable) with the 6.4? All that shifting might take away from the exhaust notes.

#15 · (Edited)
I would go with the '14. First off the '14 is the last year for the original body style. It will be a classic. If you want you could always get a new challenger in 3 years or so. The new body style will most likely still be the same then. Plus it is the first time the 8 speed transmission is being put in the Challenger which could lead to issues or bugs. There are a bunch of other "new" additions to the '15 Challenger which is nice but none of these new additions have really been tested out yet. There could be issues with these as well.

#16 ·
I'd buy a '14 now. Great pricing, no waiting and still good selection available. Let everyone else pay the higher price for the new model during its first year of sales (I am assuming they will be higher) and deal with any bugs. Meanwhile you get to drive an SRT right away. Its a win-win for you!

One other thing: you might get less on your 2010 Classic if you trade it in for a 2015 later this year or next year for a shaker.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 ·
You will loose nothing by waiting in fact you will gain. Should the pricing on the Scat Pack be lower than we think my guess is fully optioned 42k, will you be upset with yourself that you didn't wait? If you do wait and you still prefer the 14 SRT the discounts will be much better than they are presently I suspect. Also I am sure you will find super deals on lightly used 12-14 SRTs as folks want to trade up the Scat Pack and the 15-SRT. Patience!

#18 ·
Should the pricing on the Scat Pack be lower than we think my guess is fully optioned 42k, will you be upset with yourself that you didn't wait?
Aren't R/Ts over $40k+ loaded right now???

#21 ·
This thread is making my car feel old. I have a 2008 that I am still very fond of. The 2015 interior is really nice. I have realized every year something with new gadgets will come out. I am going to let my car grow old gracefully. If I had to choose. I would probably say the newest one. Performance Upgrades can always be bought depending on your budget and commitment.

#22 ·
Thanks for all the responses. My 2010 is currently at the dealer for the timing chain recall. They have a new 2014 SRT8 on the lot just how I want it, black/red and no options other than auto (wife option... although for the quarter mile trips this will be nice too...).

Might go for it if they are willing to deal. Otherwise I wait and mod my R/T to get me through the next 12 months until I can get a R/T 392 Shaker for sticker.

#23 ·
Go with the '14. My dad just went through the same dilemma and I told him wait till the '17's come out. They will have some really cool packages and colors as well as the end of a legend for this platform and in the mean time buy a '14 SRT core and start modding! I am on the same track. I plan on waiting to see what all is available in '17 and then I will have two cool Challengers to enjoy in 3 years.

#25 ·
Cars are starting to dry up out there. Go do the one year lease, enjoy the srt track experience and then keep your payment the same when you trade up for the '15 next year when the 392 Scat will be available.

#28 ·
Unfortunately the one year lease doesn't apply to SRT8s... that was the move I originally intended to make to bridge the gap but its a no-go.

#27 ·
I really like the '14 Core. But I'll wait for the '15 Scat Pack. Until the Hell Cat debuts. Then I'll wait til the improved '16 SRT Scat Pack. Until the upgraded SRT comes out. Then I'll wait for the '17 Hell Cat with even more HP. Until the '18 SRT Hell Cat Skat Pack debuts. But I'll wait til '19 for the upgraded version.......

#30 ·
Just curious guys, first off i'm a newb to the challenger community.

I was never really drawn to the challenger until I saw the video of Richard Rawlings of GasMonkey showing the '15 392 and its electronic adjustable exhaust.

When I saw him press a button on the remote and the exhaust sounded like a beast I was sold!

My question is, I really want to try and get the 392 because of all the awesome features, the hood and the exhaust trick. But if I it happens that the 392 is out of my budget, is there an affordable aftermarket package or device I could at to the '15 RT or even '14 RT to get the remote controlled exhaust trick as well as a nice shaker hood?

#33 ·
Just curious guys, first off i'm a newb to the challenger community.

I was never really drawn to the challenger until I saw the video of Richard Rawlings of GasMonkey showing the '15 392 and its electronic adjustable exhaust.

When I saw him press a button on the remote and the exhaust sounded like a beast I was sold!

My question is, I really want to try and get the 392 because of all the awesome features, the hood and the exhaust trick. But if I it happens that the 392 is out of my budget, is there an affordable aftermarket package or device I could at to the '15 RT or even '14 RT to get the remote controlled exhaust trick as well as a nice shaker hood?
That FOB controlled exhaust valve and side exhaust is a one-off promotional build.

The production cars with the 392 have an "active exhaust" valve that is inside the exhaust pipe. It opens either (or both) when the accelerator is pressed deeply or RPMs climb to a certain point. It is an electronically controlled motor that quiets the exhaust during normal driving and allows a nearly "straight-through" exhaust when you get on it.

The active exhaust valve cannot be manually controlled (at least not until someone figures out how to rig a switch to do so).

#31 ·
scat pack 2015 ordered

just so you all know I ordered a 2015 rt scat pack this weekend and you should be able to get invoice pricing from your dealer as I was able to. got most of the options (sunroof, 500 watt amp, leather group, scat pack appearance group, performance tires, auto trans) and it came to $43k. not bad for a 6.4 hemi

#32 ·
just so you all know I ordered a 2015 rt scat pack this weekend and you should be able to get invoice pricing from your dealer as I was able to. got most of the options (sunroof, 500 watt amp, leather group, scat pack appearance group, performance tires, auto trans) and it came to $43k. not bad for a 6.4 hemi
Nice! When is the expected delivery date?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.